HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #21  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 5:07 PM
hudkina hudkina is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,432
A hipster is anyone who wears skinny jeans, a fitted flannel shirt (as opposed to the loose-fitting grunge flannel from the 90's), black framed glasses and thinks he isn't a hipster.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 8:25 PM
mhays mhays is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 13,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
What the hell is a hipster, anyways? Is there a consensus definition? Or would be too un-hipster to have a consensus anything?
That sort of term doesn't have a static definition. English doesn't work that way.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #23  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 9:19 PM
Black Box's Avatar
Black Box Black Box is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 837
This thread got shut down on SSC for being City vs City. That was never my intention, so I apologize to any administrator or moderator for posting this on SSP as well. It was just a way to discuss another facet of a city, hipster culture.
__________________
mountains water city water mountains
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 10:21 PM
Kingofthehill's Avatar
Kingofthehill Kingofthehill is offline
International
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oslo
Posts: 3,874
LOL, "hipsters." So 2009. Anyways, IMO, the most "hipster" cities/areas in the country are Portland, Brooklyn, and the areas that form a crescent around Dodger Stadium in LA (I call it the "Dodger Belt"). Outside of America, Berlin and London are the two big ones.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #25  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 10:53 PM
Centropolis's Avatar
Centropolis Centropolis is offline
spooky action
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 4,628
Hipsterism is flattening out. The peaks arent as...Williamsburgy circa 2002, the smaller cities (I'll use my own) have become more hipster, even though it's not a hipster magnet. But I mean we have the pin ball bars, and a dedicated hipster street and Australian meat pies, and shit. We didn't 5 years ago.

I think that's the biggest trend of the past 5 years (smaller cities taking a bigger slice of hipsterdom, even if it's still small), but it is obscured in OMG WHERE THE NEXT HIPSTER CITY.
__________________
a lustreless protrusive eye
stares from the protozoic slime
at a perspective of Canaletto
the smoky candle end of time
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #26  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 4:57 AM
Centropolis's Avatar
Centropolis Centropolis is offline
spooky action
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 4,628
Nashville might be the interesting new interior city of it.
__________________
a lustreless protrusive eye
stares from the protozoic slime
at a perspective of Canaletto
the smoky candle end of time
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #27  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 5:25 AM
Ch.G, Ch.G's Avatar
Ch.G, Ch.G Ch.G, Ch.G is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Sharon Needles is the embodiment of today's Pittsburgh.
Really? Because, on RPDR, she has talked repeatedly about being a pariah in the city's gay scene.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #28  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 11:24 AM
AaronPGH's Avatar
AaronPGH AaronPGH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Really? Because, on RPDR, she has talked repeatedly about being a pariah in the city's gay scene.
It's true that she has been ignored by the primary gay scene, but that gives her more cred as being the embodiment of new Pittsburgh. From my perspective as a gay man here, the mainstream gay crowd really has nothing to do with what is driving the new Pittsburgh. They can actually be pretty insular at times, keeping to themselves, and they show a strange aversion to the arts community. The weirdo arts community, at least. They rarely venture to any of the transitional East End neighborhoods where most of the cool stuff is happening (and where Sharon's home bar is in Lawrenceville). The people actually doing the heavy lifting in Pittsburgh are the ones in the alternative scenes, and that's where Sharon's big following comes from. You will see Sharon booked at the largest art fundraiser party in the city, but not at our pride fest. It's kind of a shame, but there are distinctly different queer scenes here anyway so it's not a huge deal. Especially because the alternative queer scene here has grown enormously over the past few years and now has it's own weight.
__________________
2014 VIA Music & New Media Festival | www.via2014.com

Last edited by AaronPGH; Apr 9, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #29  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 6:55 PM
Ch.G, Ch.G's Avatar
Ch.G, Ch.G Ch.G, Ch.G is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
It's true that she has been ignored by the primary gay scene, but that gives her more cred as being the embodiment of new Pittsburgh. From my perspective as a gay man here, the mainstream gay crowd really has nothing to do with what is driving the new Pittsburgh. They can actually be pretty insular at times, keeping to themselves, and they show a strange aversion to the arts community. The weirdo arts community, at least. They rarely venture to any of the transitional East End neighborhoods where most of the cool stuff is happening (and where Sharon's home bar is in Lawrenceville). The people actually doing the heavy lifting in Pittsburgh are the ones in the alternative scenes, and that's where Sharon's big following comes from. You will see Sharon booked at the largest art fundraiser party in the city, but not at our pride fest. It's kind of a shame, but there are distinctly different queer scenes here anyway so it's not a huge deal. Especially because the alternative queer scene here has grown enormously over the past few years and now has it's own weight.
Fascinating. Thanks for the explanation!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #30  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 8:05 PM
Segun's Avatar
Segun Segun is offline
crackhead shuffle
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Somewhere I'm not 'posed to be
Posts: 5,238
From where I've been, I wouldn't rank them, especially not for the big diverse cities. It would be a lesson in futility. I would put them into different categories however....

Sheer numbers/different neighborhoods: LA, Bay Area, NYC, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal

Smaller, but significant: Boston, DC, New Orleans, Vancouver

High percentage of population: Seattle, Portland, Austin

Emerging: Philly, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #31  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 2:34 AM
montréaliste montréaliste is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montréal, évidemment!
Posts: 772
Hipsters are nothing more than fashion nerds.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #32  
Old Posted May 7, 2012, 4:35 PM
Homer000 Homer000 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
Hipsterism is flattening out. The peaks arent as...Williamsburgy circa 2002, the smaller cities (I'll use my own) have become more hipster, even though it's not a hipster magnet. But I mean we have the pin ball bars, and a dedicated hipster street and Australian meat pies, and shit. We didn't 5 years ago.

I think that's the biggest trend of the past 5 years (smaller cities taking a bigger slice of hipsterdom, even if it's still small), but it is obscured in OMG WHERE THE NEXT HIPSTER CITY.


I don't think it is flattening out - I think it is getting more saturated, avid and more graphic. When I watch "our" hipsters in Vancouver it is pretty clear that they are getting bored with this fad so they are discovering new ways how to look even more "hip" (using the word hip in this case is somehow not even effective), but in the eyes of a normal person they are just getting more and more ridiculous.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #33  
Old Posted May 7, 2012, 5:19 PM
TarHeelJ TarHeelJ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
What the hell is a hipster, anyways? Is there a consensus definition? Or would be too un-hipster to have a consensus anything?

I'll add, anybody who wears skinny jeans in the Caribbean is just an idiot. Yikes, you'd cook in that tropical heat. What does a tropical hipster wear, I wonder?
I think that by the time someone defines "hipster" or where they hang out - it's already over.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #34  
Old Posted May 7, 2012, 8:21 PM
photoLith's Avatar
photoLith photoLith is offline
Ex Houstonian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 8,008
In my experience traveling around America I find some of the smaller towns and cities have more visible and authentic hipster scenes. Take Lawrence, Kansas for example. Ive never seen a higher percentage of hipsters per capita than in any other city. I was there in the summer of 2010 though, kinda the peak of hipsterism, maybe its changed there but I doubt it. Little Rock, Arkansas also has a pretty visible hipster scene, more so than Houston for example.
__________________
Visit my Photography Facebook Page...

https://www.facebook.com/chrislitherlandphotography
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #35  
Old Posted May 8, 2012, 12:08 AM
lawfin lawfin is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by orderlychaos View Post
/\/\/\ Got to love that Sharon Needles!
Who the hell is Sharon Needles?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36  
Old Posted May 8, 2012, 2:00 PM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
The Hammer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Polis Philou Adelfou
Posts: 4,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Box View Post
^I don't necessarily think that all hipsters have to ascribe to pretending or actually being authentic because they want to slum it hardcore. The idea of hipster is so mainstream that it also involves people who want to make money at their cool high paying job. Buy a $1500 custom-designed bicycle, purchase single-estate origin beans for $18.00/lb, shop organic without flinching and live in a well established neighborhood that fits the nice bill.
That sounds more like a "hip" yuppie to me...
__________________
CCME | CtL | Hidden City

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #37  
Old Posted May 8, 2012, 2:32 PM
kool maudit's Avatar
kool maudit kool maudit is online now
almost certainly
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: copenhagen
Posts: 8,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Outside of America, Berlin and London are the two big ones.



ahem.
__________________
over the loudspeaker about the hard times
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #38  
Old Posted May 8, 2012, 3:05 PM
Centropolis's Avatar
Centropolis Centropolis is offline
spooky action
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 4,628
Where's Ahem, Turkey?
__________________
a lustreless protrusive eye
stares from the protozoic slime
at a perspective of Canaletto
the smoky candle end of time
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #39  
Old Posted May 8, 2012, 3:13 PM
kool maudit's Avatar
kool maudit kool maudit is online now
almost certainly
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: copenhagen
Posts: 8,742
yeah, turkey
__________________
over the loudspeaker about the hard times
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #40  
Old Posted May 8, 2012, 5:29 PM
min-chi-cbus min-chi-cbus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
That sounds more like a "hip" yuppie to me...
"Hip" + "YUPPY" = Hippy???
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
   
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:31 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.