HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkerguy View Post
I used to have to take the connector to work every day at about 5:15 and the traffic was constantly getting hung up every block on the north/south traffic.If it was tunneled the traffic between the connector and Broadway could move through unobstructed by the cross streets. And the congestion went all the back to Winco/Civic Plaza.

Dropping those two roads beneath the surface streets would do so much to lessen commute times and lessen traffic density in downtown, keeping it more local.
I understand what lowering the streets below grade would accomplish. The biggest problem is that there would only be a couple exits for downtown, as opposed to being able to access any part of the grid from every block, adding to the congestion on those streets. Unless there were on and off ramps for South Avenue A, and 2nd-6th, which wouldn't be done, they would be almost completely worthless because they don't go anywhere since they dead end at Myrtle. So rather than spending millions and millions of dollars to lower that section, just don't allow cross traffic if the speed of east/west traffic is more valued. But like I said before, 13th to Capital has potential if done right.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 1:50 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
I understand what lowering the streets below grade would accomplish. The biggest problem is that there would only be a couple exits for downtown, as opposed to being able to access any part of the grid from every block, adding to the congestion on those streets. Unless there were on and off ramps for South Avenue A, and 2nd-6th, which wouldn't be done, they would be almost completely worthless because they don't go anywhere since they dead end at Myrtle. So rather than spending millions and millions of dollars to lower that section, just don't allow cross traffic if the speed of east/west traffic is more valued. But like I said before, 13th to Capital has potential if done right.
Front and Myrtle could remain as local service 2 or 3 lane streets but through traffic could route in a 3 lane covered section.

Wash DC did something similar many years ago where its major boulevards intersect the major traffic circles. http://g.co/maps/y5j2q is a closeup view of Connecticut Ave descending under Dupont Circle. Overall curb to curb width is about 100 feet. But that's a configuration of 2, 2, 2, and 2 lanes or 8 total lanes. Front is 5 12' lanes or about 60' curb to curb.

So picture 3 lanes of Front descending beginning at 5th or 6th with 1 lane wide local access service roads to right and left. After Front reaches its new grade the service streets could merge for a few blocks and The Grove Hotel and Aspen could regain some sidewalk width. Meh, who are we kidding, an elevated freeway would be much cheaper and provide shade for downtown pedestrians. The underside could be rigged with misters and a laser show like the Freemont St Experience in Vegas.

Last edited by boisecynic; Apr 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 2:24 PM

^^^Now those are some good ideas. I was thinking too simply.

Hahaha....getting creative toward the end, I like it.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isangpogi View Post
They announced who would be occupying the new construction at Meridian Town Center. Gap Outlet, Chick-fil-A, Marshalls, Gordman's and Petco. I must admit I'm a little disappointed. Previous announcements have stated that Meridian Town Center would be full of upscale tenants new to Idaho. Gap Outlet is new but we've had Gap for as long as I can remember. Marshalls and Petco are certainly not new. Gordman's just opened in Nampa and seems to be a glorified Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx. Chick-fil-A has a location at Boise State and will likely have other full restaurants completed by the time this one is done.

Nothing announced is upscale, which is what I thought the intention of the lifestyle center was. I'm sure the economy has put a damper on it, and I'm glad to see something finally getting built there, but I'm worried the center will become another retail center like what occupies two of the other corners of Fairview and Eagle...

Future plans, according to the Statesman, include a large theater and offices set to open in 2013. The center will also have "Bellagio-Style" fountains which would be pretty cool.

Here's the article: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/0...l#wgt=rcntnews

I had the same thought too...but remembered this article from the Statesman that said there would be around 25 new stores, so far 5 have been announced, so hopefully the remaining 20 are new to the area.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/0...-meridian.html

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isangpogi View Post
They announced who would be occupying the new construction at Meridian Town Center. Gap Outlet, Chick-fil-A, Marshalls, Gordman's and Petco. I must admit I'm a little disappointed. Previous announcements have stated that Meridian Town Center would be full of upscale tenants new to Idaho. Gap Outlet is new but we've had Gap for as long as I can remember. Marshalls and Petco are certainly not new. Gordman's just opened in Nampa and seems to be a glorified Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx. Chick-fil-A has a location at Boise State and will likely have other full restaurants completed by the time this one is done.

Nothing announced is upscale, which is what I thought the intention of the lifestyle center was. I'm sure the economy has put a damper on it, and I'm glad to see something finally getting built there, but I'm worried the center will become another retail center like what occupies two of the other corners of Fairview and Eagle...

Future plans, according to the Statesman, include a large theater and offices set to open in 2013. The center will also have "Bellagio-Style" fountains which would be pretty cool.

Here's the article: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/0...l#wgt=rcntnews
Yes, I somewhat agree with you, but if you've driven by the site, it's clear where these newly announced tenants will be located. The power center portion fronting Eagle Road is what is currently under construction. It's a typical commercial center linear layout, with all front loaded parking, and is suited to these types of tenants.

However, the portion where most of the "New to Idaho" tenants will be is in the Lifestyle Center component with a Town Square layout, which is on the south side of the new Big Al's. There are several pieces of construction equipment in that area now, so hopefully the structures will begin rising by end of spring. This is where the movie theater, sit-down restaurants, and higher-end brands will be located. None of these have been announced as of now, so let's remain optimistic and wait until the big news comes, which I expect will happen sometime this summer.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
Front and Myrtle could remain as local service 2 or 3 lane streets but through traffic could route in a 3 lane covered section.

Exactly.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post

Thanks Missed this as it was buried in the previous page. It is weird to see that old warehouse almost gone and what is left is rubble. This is going to be an exciting year for downtown construction in Boise.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 8:32 PM

i'm not sure if this relates to anything currently going on downtown but did anyone else hear like 4 or 5 loud booms this morning?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
i'm not sure if this relates to anything currently going on downtown but did anyone else hear like 4 or 5 loud booms this morning?
Just boisebro blowin' sh!t up....

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 11:55 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Per Brian Murphy, new Boise State football facilities are breaking ground Thursday! Yet another project under construction (in addition to Eighth and Main, JUMP, Whole Foods, Whitewater park, and the Stadium Expansion).

http://idahobusinessreview.com/2012/...rket-tightens/

Class-A office market tightens
by Brad Carlson
Published: April 9,2012
Time posted: 4:22 pm
Tags: Commercial Real Estate, Leasing, Office space

The market for corporate-style “Class-A” office space tightened in the Boise area in the first quarter. Vacancy in Class-A office space averaged 11.8 percent in the first quarter, down from 12.9 percent in the fourth quarter of 2011, a report by Thornton Oliver Keller Commercial Real Estate said.

Last edited by BoiseAirport; Apr 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 1:41 AM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Not today, but last fall I heard several loud booms. I was on the greenbelt around the Julia Davis Band Shell area and the booms seemed to be coming from the east side of downtown. Seriously it sounded like TNT. Weird. Sorry Cottonwood if we're going off topic, but the only thing I've ever heard that loud was construction related. So who or what...?

About the missing Compton Warehouse, I love the view coming in from the west now. You can see the Foster's building and that whole block now.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:24 AM

Interesting read BoiseAirport-

Quote:
The market for corporate-style “Class-A” office space tightened in the Boise area in the first quarter. Vacancy in Class-A office space averaged 11.8 percent in the first quarter, down from 12.9 percent in the fourth quarter of 2011, a report by Thornton Oliver Keller Commercial Real Estate said.
I'm wondering which projects will resume after few more months of this type of growth. At this point it seems that Capitol Plaza is still a while away, but the second phase of One Capitol seems reasonable due to its proposed size and location.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLonthebrain View Post
Yes, I somewhat agree with you, but if you've driven by the site, it's clear where these newly announced tenants will be located. The power center portion fronting Eagle Road is what is currently under construction. It's a typical commercial center linear layout, with all front loaded parking, and is suited to these types of tenants.

However, the portion where most of the "New to Idaho" tenants will be is in the Lifestyle Center component with a Town Square layout, which is on the south side of the new Big Al's. There are several pieces of construction equipment in that area now, so hopefully the structures will begin rising by end of spring. This is where the movie theater, sit-down restaurants, and higher-end brands will be located. None of these have been announced as of now, so let's remain optimistic and wait until the big news comes, which I expect will happen sometime this summer.
That makes more sense. I was under the impression that those 5 new tenants were part of the "lifestyle center."

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 12:17 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTeton View Post
Interesting read BoiseAirport-

I'm wondering which projects will resume after few more months of this type of growth. At this point it seems that Capitol Plaza is still a while away, but the second phase of One Capitol seems reasonable due to its proposed size and location.
One of the things Rafanelli & Nahas noted in their e-mail to me was that before they build Capitol Plaza, they would likely develop the parcels around Boise Plaza first. I recall a while back they had a proposal for several mid-size (6-12 floors) office and hotel developments. I remember seeing a rough rendering, but I can't find it anywhere.

Weirdly enough, my opinion has changed quite a bit about Capitol Plaza. I used to think it was one of the most beautiful proposals for Boise, but now I find it to be a little bit of an awkward design that doesn't really mesh with the skyline very well. I think it's actually a problem with location rather than the architecture or scale, it's like the building doesn't feel "right" in that particular lot. One of the lots surrounding the Boise Plaza would be far better for that structure, I think.

But even then, I recall that R&N was not happy about the selection of location for the transit center, and threatened to back out of all projects for the downtown area if the center was built. So I don't know if either project will ever happen.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 2:53 PM
All man. Half nuts.

nimby news:

Quote:
BOISE -- Monday night the Boise City Planning and Zoning commission denied a proposal, which has received much opposition.

A planned development next to Loggers Creek off Parkcenter Boulevard was back before the Boise City Planning and Zoning commission for review.

A Ketchum developer bought the land last year and his plan calls for 287 units on 13 acres. However neighbors close by say the plan is too dense. The zoning and planning commission asked the developer to meet with opposed residents and discuss a compromise, but after three meetings, neighbors still aren't happy.

Boise City Current Planner, Cody Riddle said the developer has not decreased the units, but instead spaced them differently as well as change the height of one of the buildings. City planners approved recommendation for the proposed project.

"We felt like it complied the first time and we have recommended approval again but there are definitely some subjective issues in terms of compatibility and just how it will impact neighbors that the commission has to weigh,” said Riddle.

Opposing neighbors say the dense housing will decrease the value of their homes. They are also concerned about wildlife habitat next to Loggers Creek. The commission heard public comment Monday evening, but ultimately denied the request. Now the applicant has ten days to appeal the decision.
http://www.ktvb.com/news/Proposed-Pa...146755415.html

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:12 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
Dang... that's too bad.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:13 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Here's an interesting, if a bit depressing, article on the food scene here in Boise. Definitely worth a read.

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/tal...nt?oid=2629799

Tales of a Food Critic: The Highs and Lows of Boise's Food Scene
by Guy Hand
April 04, 2012

Quote:
Beyond Idaho, we may be famous for that one ubiquitous tuber, but we're less renowned for our restaurant scene. So, when Providence Cicero, the chair of the James Beard Foundation's award committee, emailed me in June 2011, asking if I'd represent Idaho on the panel that nominates chefs and restaurants for the influential James Beard Awards, I was flattered but also a little conflicted.

But, why, you may ask, is a vibrant, award-winning restaurant culture important? Society clearly doesn't require restaurants to survive, nor would it take much intellectual effort to write them off as unnecessary indulgences or worse. I'd argue, though, that a vibrant restaurant scene is as fundamental, as essential a cultural expression as the visual arts, music and literature. And without a vibrant restaurant scene, culinary creativity can bleed away from a community.

"The most successful restaurants in this valley currently are Olive Garden and Cheesecake Factory and Applebee's, and these are restaurants that are busy day in and day out--and that's kind of a sad commentary. Even though they're employing local people to cook and wait tables and clean the restaurant, the money is primarily going out of state."

Yet Kelly holds out hope for Idaho's food future.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
Not today, but last fall I heard several loud booms. I was on the greenbelt around the Julia Davis Band Shell area and the booms seemed to be coming from the east side of downtown. Seriously it sounded like TNT. Weird. Sorry Cottonwood if we're going off topic, but the only thing I've ever heard that loud was construction related. So who or what...?

About the missing Compton Warehouse, I love the view coming in from the west now. You can see the Foster's building and that whole block now.
You are not going off topic
Now I am curious about the booms too.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:22 PM

Definitely looking forward to all of the outdoor activites in our city this year.

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/201...day_stage_race

Idaho's Exergy Tour announces courses for May's 5-day stage race

The Exergy Tour announced the courses for its inaugural women's professional race May 24-28 in Idaho. The race will begin and end in Boise and visit Nampa, Kuna, Garden Valley/Crouch and Idaho City.

"We want the route to be a postcard for the state of Idaho and the Treasure Valley, said Heather Hill, the tour's marketing director. “Idaho isn't just mountains, it isn't just downtown Boise, or lake and river front Canyon County, or small farm communities, it is a mix of all of these and the people that call them home. We have been welcomed by all of these people and plan to show their communities to the world."

Seventeen of the top women's pro cycling teams and riders from nine countries are scheduled to compete, including Boise Olympic gold medalist Kristin Armstrong. The event — the highest-ranked women's stage race in North America — is one of the last chances for riders to earn points toward Olympic qualification for the 2012 London Games.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:12 AM

i can't put a finger on those explosions or whatever they were i'm thinking it could have been cause by them hammering something into the ground with that huge hammer that has to be hoisted up by a crane but i know of no construction site that currently is that far into construction as of yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West