21st century milestones of urban developments in the capital city of Germany...
1. New Central Rail Station (Europes largest crossing point) opened in 2006
including several satellite stations around the city, creating a complete new system.
1.1 It should be listed first, but starts operation in June 2012
: The Berlin Brandenburg Airport
2. FIFA World Cup Final in 2006
3. Federal Chancellory (German White House) completed in 2001
, first German woman chancellor (Merkel) takes office in 2005
4. Number of hotels doubled, congress and conventions profited, a massive tourism boom transformed Berlin and its economy
5. New embassies (UK, US, India
6. Berlin became a hotbed for creative types, its culture industries rose, MTV Europe, Universal
(and many others) relocated their headquarter to Berlin
7. World Championchips Athletics in 2009
(Usain Bolts World Record)
8. Renovation of the Museum Island went on, 3 (Unesco World Heritage) Museums rebuilt or modernized
9. An adminstrative reform in 2001
reduced the number of 23 districts to 12 large boroughs.
10. The first openly gay German politician, mayor Wowereit (since 2001
) coined the city "poor but sexy" and transformed with his personality the image of Berlin. The city now stands for liberal attitudes in a newly reunified Europe (EU).