HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Someone told me recently this community also protested the installation of SIDEWALKS once upon a time. Can't confirm, though.
Quote:
Someone told me recently this community also protested the installation of SIDEWALKS once upon a time. Can't confirm, though.
It wouldn't surprise me. The original plan for Kanata was to have pedestrian and automobile traffic be separated, hence the network of bike/walking paths that run through it. I can see some Teron-purists objecting to sidewalks as a dilution of the purity of the vision.

Beaverbrook was always a weird place. Teron likes to call it a Garden City, but Garden Cities are supposed to be self contained with their own jobs base. Kanata has always been at least in part, a bedroom community with the Queensway its lifeline to jobs.
What industry that is out there is very poorly located. Mitel, Digital, Newbridge etc. all went in as highway based industrial campuses to the north on March Road. The residential may be towers and cottages in a park, but the industrial is all bunkers in a cow field. This contributed to Kanata's sprawl. Those Electrical Engineers ended up buying townhouses in Katimivic then graduated to McMansions in Mortgage Grant.

Had Kanata council had had any guts it would have forced those high tech industries to build in the natural centre of the Kanata, near the Queensway and to build higher when they did so.

Teron seems upset that his grand plan is being tampered with, but the plan was blown in the 80s and 90s. It must be difficult for a man of his age to admit that his vision was flawed, so I'll cut him some slack. He was right about the Beaver Pond. Now is the time to put the brakes on suburban sprawl, but he's wrong about 2 Parkway. Now is also the time to increase density and along Kanata's incipient main streets.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 9:33 PM
National Capital Region

Now proposed for 9fl / 30m

Revised plans available here http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__8U46KB

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 7:12 PM

http://www.yourottawaregion.com/news...apartment-plan

There are some gems in terms of quotes especially near the end. Apprently, Beaverbrook is an oasis from high density urban sprawl.

The quote from the consultant that this application maintains a general pattern of open space is sure to be greeted with some eye rolling by the Beaverbrook residents.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 9:16 PM
National Capital Region

forget to post this a little while back

http://www.keeptotheplan.ca

there is a planning analysis by Barry Wellar (based on the old proposal)

http://www.beaverbrookcommunity.ca/w...n2011Dec27.pdf

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:28 AM

From the article, Beaverbrook is an architectural gem? Disagree.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 6:04 AM

Anything above 2 stories kills children. Why does the developer want to destroy a generation, especially one living in such a unique, heritage example of North American suburbia?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
forget to post this a little while back

http://www.keeptotheplan.ca
The video on this website makes me sick. They even want to ban duplexes and triplexes?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 4:57 AM

Yikes. Sorry, but the '60s are over, and so is the 'Kanata Dream'.

Maybe if some of these suburbanites gathered up some courage and ventured to the oldest streets of Lowertown (circa 1880-1890) they'd see duplexes and triplexes and four-plexes of two to three floors in height all co-existing, looking like the most natural, organic thing in the world.

To me, there is nothing beneficial or organic about cloned, cookie-cutter sameness. However, it seems like heaven to these quacks.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Yikes. Sorry, but the '60s are over, and so is the 'Kanata Dream'.

Maybe if some of these suburbanites gathered up some courage and ventured to the oldest streets of Lowertown (circa 1880-1890) they'd see duplexes and triplexes and four-plexes of two to three floors in height all co-existing, looking like the most natural, organic thing in the world.

To me, there is nothing beneficial or organic about cloned, cookie-cutter sameness. However, it seems like heaven to these quacks.
Oh please don't send these clowns to my neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 2:20 PM
National Capital Region

Beaverbrook residents looking to preserve neighbourhood’s original vision

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/homes/B...129/story.html

Quote:
A recent proposal for a nine-storey condo at the entrance to Beaverbrook has some residents wondering how to preserve what is cherished about the community. They are considering requesting that Beaverbrook become a heritage conservation district under the Ontario Heritage Act.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 9:19 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Beaverbrook residents looking to preserve neighbourhood’s original vision

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/homes/B...129/story.html
The original vision of a poorly-planned neighborhood with almost no commercial space and with its disastrous street layout with its spaghetti-string crescents. Geez.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 3:58 AM

I guess they hate density there? It is one of the lowest-density areas in the urban part of Ottawa (about 2 to 3 units/acre).

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
The original vision of a poorly-planned neighborhood with almost no commercial space and with its disastrous street layout with its spaghetti-string crescents. Geez.
"A gas station was designed with the same architectural details as houses"

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 3:29 PM
Busy Beaver

Ah the endangered bungalow hidden behind a two-car garage. Pity. Quick, someone fight for pre-automobile neighbourhoods like Centretown and the Glebe and call for banning of all driveways and garages to preserve their community's original character!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 3:50 PM

If you live in the city and flip out in the face of urban renewal, noise, construction and condo projects; you’re an idiot, it’s part of life in the city. But if you choose live on a quiet 60s suburban street, I think you have more of a right to oppose change.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
If you live in the city and flip out in the face of urban renewal, noise, construction and condo projects; you’re an idiot, it’s part of life in the city. But if you choose live on a quiet 60s suburban street, I think you have more of a right to oppose change.
The issue is some want to keep Beaverbrook as it is acting like its a great place the thing is if they don't want change does this mean people can't upgrade there homes etc if so i could see house values tanking in that area.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog0212 View Post
The issue is some want to keep Beaverbrook as it is acting like its a great place the thing is if they don't want change does this mean people can't upgrade there homes etc if so i could see house values tanking in that area.
It should mean keeping the original character of the house and neighbourhood, i.e. no stucco, fake brick/stone or other "modernization efforts", no tearing down two perfectly fine 60s bungalows for a stucco mansion.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
It should mean keeping the original character of the house and neighbourhood, i.e. no stucco, fake brick/stone or other "modernization efforts", no tearing down two perfectly fine 60s bungalows for a stucco mansion.
The issue is Beaverbrook is not a high end area if you tell people who may want to buy a house and make major changes sorry you can't do that or that people won't be interested in buying.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog0212 View Post
The issue is Beaverbrook is not a high end area if you tell people who may want to buy a house and make major changes sorry you can't do that or that people won't be interested in buying.
That’s the point; it's like adult communities or smoke/pet free condos, you're looking for a "desirable" target buyer. Make some sort of bylaw in a few specific neighbourhoods (agreed by majority of the community) that says you don't want to lose the character of the houses/neighbourhood and you then attract "desirable" buyers, not dickwads wanting to tear down nice houses for a stucco mansion.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 4:14 AM
National Capital Region

Fund to fight spot-zoning collects $30,000
Posted Jul 12, 2012 By Blair Edwards
http://www.emckanata.ca/20120712/News/Fund+to+fight+spot-zoning+collects+$30,000

EMC news - A special fund created to fight unwanted development in Beaverbrook has collected $30,000 so far, said Gary Sealey, president of the Kanata Beaverbrook Community Association.

"We raised (the money) from individuals," he said. "Each (donation) has a name behind it."

Some of the money has already been used to hire two city planners: Barry Weller and Dennis Jacobs as well as a lawyer, Tony Fleming, who have provided legal and planning advice concerning the proposed condo at 2 The Parkway.

Last week, the city announced it was delaying the release of a report on the proposed development until Aug. 23.

Kanata North Coun. Marianne Wilkinson said the developer, the Morley Hoppner Group, requested more time to discuss some of the recommendations from staff contained in the report.

"I take it (the developer) doesn't like the recommendations," she said during a public meeting held at the Mlacak Centre on June 29. "I'm disappointed it's taking so long because it keeps the uncertainty out there."

The proposal, which originally called for construction of a 16-storey condominium, had been revised to allow for a seven-storey apartment complex topped by a one-storey amenity area, coupled with two-storey townhomes.

The Save the Beaverbrook Fund was created in December, 2011, collecting donations from individuals and families in Beaverbrook with matching funds provided by Kanata founder

Bill Teron, one of the people spearheading the community's opposition to spot-zoning proposals.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs