HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > SSP: Local London > Projects & Construction Updates

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2161  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 1:25 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
The Vomit Bag.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Liver & Onions
Posts: 22,056
from near and farhi, his kingdom stretched onwards
__________________
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. -Donald Rumsfeld
Didn't you notice on the plane when you started talking, eventually I started reading the vomit bag?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2162  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 1:25 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
The Vomit Bag.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Liver & Onions
Posts: 22,056
By the way, that building (along Richmond) featuring Farhi is almost as ugly as the courthouse.
__________________
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. -Donald Rumsfeld
Didn't you notice on the plane when you started talking, eventually I started reading the vomit bag?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2163  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 3:57 PM
londoner_abroad londoner_abroad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 22
Anyone been by the Wortley village development lately?? at Wortley and Bruce? hows is it progressing? any pictures?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2164  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 5:04 PM
K85's Avatar
K85 K85 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 283
It's up to the second floor, still all wood work so far. nothing else, little red roaster is gonna be a tenant in there. I'll take a pic next time im in the area which should be soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2165  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 2:25 AM
bolognium's Avatar
bolognium bolognium is offline
bro
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London, ON
Posts: 382
Smile

King Wah on York is in the process of being torn down. A company called Total Demolition already has half the building ripped apart.

Does this mean the York proposal is going forward?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2166  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 10:48 PM
sparky212's Avatar
sparky212 sparky212 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London Ont.
Posts: 413
86 york(king Wah)

Architectural Treatment
The exterior of the building will contain the following:
 Insulated metal Panels
 Insulated Glass curtain wall incorporating two colors to provide a contrast.
 Oriental styled canopy above the main entrance
 Parapet moldings.
 A composition of tile and masonry for the finish.
Heres the link to the proposalhttp://www.london.ca/Planning_and_De...2010_11_17.pdf
__________________
visit my mini city at http://londonto.myminicity.com/tra
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2167  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 5:43 PM
Simpseatles's Avatar
Simpseatles Simpseatles is offline
Wannabe Urbanite
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Waterloo/London
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky212 View Post
86 york(king Wah)

Architectural Treatment
The exterior of the building will contain the following:
 Insulated metal Panels
 Insulated Glass curtain wall incorporating two colors to provide a contrast.
 Oriental styled canopy above the main entrance
 Parapet moldings.
 A composition of tile and masonry for the finish.
Heres the link to the proposalhttp://www.london.ca/Planning_and_De...2010_11_17.pdf
Looks nice! Certainly better than what's currently there. York Street could really use an improvement, so it's great to see even little developments like this. I really hope that the Ren II store frontage turns out well also, because I'm not liking the podium so far.
__________________
"Sometimes I wonder if the world's so small, that we can never get away from the sprawl.
Living in the sprawl the dead shopping malls rise like mountains beyond mountains and there's no end in sight." -Arcade Fire
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2168  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 10:23 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
The Vomit Bag.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Liver & Onions
Posts: 22,056
Most def a big improvement.
__________________
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. -Donald Rumsfeld
Didn't you notice on the plane when you started talking, eventually I started reading the vomit bag?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2169  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 12:47 AM
bolognium's Avatar
bolognium bolognium is offline
bro
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London, ON
Posts: 382
Smile

I'd imagine by the end of the week King Wah will be completely demolished. Here's 89 York as it stands today:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2170  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 7:08 PM
londoner_abroad londoner_abroad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 22
Just noticed that the UDPRP website has new projects going to the Urban Design Peer Review Panel this month:

- Proposed Medium/High density development by Tricar (160 Sunningdale Rd West - Basically a few properties West of Richmond on the South side of Sunningdale) - Looks like they are proposing 2 new towers along Sunningdale which are 18 storeys tall with a 2 storey podium linking them. One midsize building along the street going into the neighbourhood with a portion of 2 storey podium along Sunningdale. And 3 storey towns on the south side of the block. Looks like an exciting project, not many architectural details are revealed other then the massing in a sketchUp drawing.

- Proposed specialized memory care facility focusing exclusively on Alzheimer’s, dementia and related memory issues afflicting our aging seniors (120 Chelton Rd - Southwest corner of Commissioners and Chelton on the edge of the Summerside Subdivision. Nothing too special from an urban design point of view.. It seems like a pretty specialized building with specific requirements for design and safety.


- Proposal for 5 storey apartment building (3535 Settlement Trail - Well within the Talbot Village Neighbourhood in Southwest London) I feel as though this building could be much better designed as it is at the terminus point for the street that will be eventually built from Bostwick Rd into this subdivision. I believe the original plans for this street called for it to act as a Wortley Village with a mix of uses, I wonder if that will still happen.. Any case on this particular application I think they could have framed the street better with the building and hid the parking in the back that way creating a better view terminus as for the future as the development builds out.


Anyway if anyone wants to check out the briefs with renderings go to:
http://london.ca/d.aspx?s=/Planning_...ermar21_12.htm
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2171  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 8:26 PM
Simpseatles's Avatar
Simpseatles Simpseatles is offline
Wannabe Urbanite
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Waterloo/London
Posts: 704
^Thanks for the information. Sounds like some interesting stuff. Too bad it's all for the outskirts though.
__________________
"Sometimes I wonder if the world's so small, that we can never get away from the sprawl.
Living in the sprawl the dead shopping malls rise like mountains beyond mountains and there's no end in sight." -Arcade Fire
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2172  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 6:18 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is online now
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 14,925
Renaissance 2 under construction in London - 93 meters tall


Crown on King I in London - 72 meters tall


Source: me



What is going on with One London Place II? I've heard a rumour, a couple times, that the tower has been or will be re-proposed... any truth or insight into this?
__________________
Strong & free

Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come. Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won & all the fears you have overcome. — Unknown
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2173  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 5:04 PM
haljackey's Avatar
haljackey haljackey is offline
User Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 1,843
Nice photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post

What is going on with One London Place II? I've heard a rumour, a couple times, that the tower has been or will be re-proposed... any truth or insight into this?
In a recent interview with the London Free Press, Sifton stated that One London Place is at-capacity, and are turning tenants away. If they can find an anchor tenant for the second tower, they will build it.

All this comes from an article that actually talked about the high office vacancy rate in London. Farhi's buildings have especially high rates, probably because companies would rather look elsewhere for office space.
__________________
My Twitter

My Simcity Stuff
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2174  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 8:28 PM
manny_santos's Avatar
manny_santos manny_santos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Nice photos!



In a recent interview with the London Free Press, Sifton stated that One London Place is at-capacity, and are turning tenants away. If they can find an anchor tenant for the second tower, they will build it.

All this comes from an article that actually talked about the high office vacancy rate in London. Farhi's buildings have especially high rates, probably because companies would rather look elsewhere for office space.
Yeah...if I had a company in London I wouldn't want it associated with the Bell building. Nothing against Bell, but that is one fugly building.
__________________
I enjoy chicken of the cave
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2175  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 1:46 AM
bolognium's Avatar
bolognium bolognium is offline
bro
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London, ON
Posts: 382
Smile

I noticed the buildings to the west of me have some renderings posted. Dunno what the likelihood of this actually happening is, but it seems fairly interesting. We should see some activity happening soon if the timeline is still June 2012.







Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2176  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 8:35 PM
londoner_abroad londoner_abroad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 22
Urban Outfitters Richmond & Oxford

Apparently Urban Outfitters is coming to London. I heard rumours of this in the past however, when I heard it it was supposed to be located somewhere on Dundas. I think if Urban Outfitters would of located at Dundas and Richmond it would of helped out the downtown even more and filled an empty space (old CIBC). However, I am impressed that they did pick the core area and I am sure this will lead further announcements. LFPress article below:
Urban Outfitters coming to London
By NORMAN DE BONO, LONDON FREE PRESS


"Richmond Row is about to land a multi-billion dollar retail heavyweight.

Urban Outfitters, the stylish youth-oriented clothier, is opening a 10,000 square foot store at Richmond and Oxford streets in the former Blockbuster video store, a $3 million investment.

"I think this is huge," said Syl Carle, a Toronto businessperson who owns the building.

"That is the entrance to Richmond Row and the downtown and I truly believe it will set the tone for what is coming."

It will be the Philadelphia-based retailers first store west of Toronto, where it has three stores, and joins others in Ottawa, Kingston, Montreal and Quebec.

The space it has leased here is "huge, just huge," he added.

Urban Outfitters, also operates Anthropologie, Free People, Terrain, and BHLDN brand names in the United States, Canada, and Europe and boasts annual sales of about $2.5 billion worldwide.

Carle believes retailing may see a future trend away from big box and mall retailers and Urban Outfitters have embraced that. Its Toronto stores are streetfront operations and in Kingston it moved into a renovated downtown bank.

"Retailers are starting to recognize big box stores do not always work in certain markets and Urban Outfitters fit that," said Carle.

"They are going after very specific targets and they cannot really do that in a Big Box setting. This tenant is very forward-looking."

The store is hoping it will tap into the market of Western University students who frequent that area.

Urban Outfitters could not be reached for comment Friday.

"It is such a vote of confidence in the core area," said Brad Scrinko, owner of Gift of Art and board member with the Richmond Row Merchants Association.

"It is great to have one-of-a-kind stores, they are the heart of the area, but its good to have a major chain anchor too. That mix is very successful."

In fact, few independent retailers could absorb a large space such as the southwest corner of the intersection, he added.

"It is all about having a diverse mix. People will come down and shop there and visit other stores and restaurants here," said Scrinko.

Work is now underway on the store and it will open likely in the fall. It has signed a long term lease, he added.

Carle has owned that space since 2001."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2177  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 8:47 PM
north 42's Avatar
north 42 north 42 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by londoner_abroad View Post
Apparently Urban Outfitters is coming to London. I heard rumours of this in the past however, when I heard it it was supposed to be located somewhere on Dundas. I think if Urban Outfitters would of located at Dundas and Richmond it would of helped out the downtown even more and filled an empty space (old CIBC). However, I am impressed that they did pick the core area and I am sure this will lead further announcements. LFPress article below:
Urban Outfitters coming to London
By NORMAN DE BONO, LONDON FREE PRESS


"Richmond Row is about to land a multi-billion dollar retail heavyweight.

Urban Outfitters, the stylish youth-oriented clothier, is opening a 10,000 square foot store at Richmond and Oxford streets in the former Blockbuster video store, a $3 million investment.

"I think this is huge," said Syl Carle, a Toronto businessperson who owns the building.

"That is the entrance to Richmond Row and the downtown and I truly believe it will set the tone for what is coming."

It will be the Philadelphia-based retailers first store west of Toronto, where it has three stores, and joins others in Ottawa, Kingston, Montreal and Quebec.

The space it has leased here is "huge, just huge," he added.

Urban Outfitters, also operates Anthropologie, Free People, Terrain, and BHLDN brand names in the United States, Canada, and Europe and boasts annual sales of about $2.5 billion worldwide.

Carle believes retailing may see a future trend away from big box and mall retailers and Urban Outfitters have embraced that. Its Toronto stores are streetfront operations and in Kingston it moved into a renovated downtown bank.

"Retailers are starting to recognize big box stores do not always work in certain markets and Urban Outfitters fit that," said Carle.

"They are going after very specific targets and they cannot really do that in a Big Box setting. This tenant is very forward-looking."

The store is hoping it will tap into the market of Western University students who frequent that area.

Urban Outfitters could not be reached for comment Friday.

"It is such a vote of confidence in the core area," said Brad Scrinko, owner of Gift of Art and board member with the Richmond Row Merchants Association.

"It is great to have one-of-a-kind stores, they are the heart of the area, but its good to have a major chain anchor too. That mix is very successful."

In fact, few independent retailers could absorb a large space such as the southwest corner of the intersection, he added.

"It is all about having a diverse mix. People will come down and shop there and visit other stores and restaurants here," said Scrinko.

Work is now underway on the store and it will open likely in the fall. It has signed a long term lease, he added.

Carle has owned that space since 2001."
What a coupe for London, Downtown retail is so hard to attract in small and medium sized cities. Hopefully your downtown continues to bring in new retailers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2178  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 8:50 PM
go_leafs_go02 go_leafs_go02 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 2,113
That's pretty sweet, retail such as that I figured would end up at Masonville or White Oaks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2179  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 9:33 PM
FazDeH's Avatar
FazDeH FazDeH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: London
Posts: 207
^^That's very cool news, I know that there will be a new bar going in just down the street from there, so that block is about to get a face lift.
__________________
Number of buildings listed on SSPs Diagram section? 191
Number of people living in the cities metro area? 496,900
Knowing London has a better looking skyline than that of any other city our size? PRICELESS
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2180  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 2:25 PM
K85's Avatar
K85 K85 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 283
Not a fan of the chain, but damn... This single investment and CHOICE of where it's going has converted me!!! I'm stoked to see some support for downtown like this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
   
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > SSP: Local London > Projects & Construction Updates
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:03 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.