HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 2:38 PM
પટેલ. કે ન

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralcoffin View Post
Cook County's population is growing, according to the county population estimates released today, gaining 17,000 people in a year.

National rank...County...2010 Census....July 1, 2010....July 1, 2011
2.....Cook County, IL......5,194,675......5,199,971.......5,217,080
52....DuPage County, IL...916,924........917,942........923,222
84....Lake County, IL.......703,462........704,492........706,222
89....Will County, IL.........677,560........678,873........681,545

The CSA as a whole is now estimated at 9,729,825, a growth of 32,000 in a year. (So a little over half of the population growth in the area occurred in Cook County.)
Wow I did not expect Cook to gain that much, or even DuPage. I always expected Will, Lake, Kane, and McHenry to grow but for Cook to add is good. I wonder how accurate these numbers are and have we ever challenged the origional 2010 number yet?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 3:44 AM
vertical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
For those who were saying that open office floor plans are better. Check out this TED video.
http://www.ted.com/talks/julian_trea...ffects_us.html

Research shows that these types of noisy environments drop productivity by 66% since it make it harder to concentrate. Probably why people wear headphones in the offices since listening to something soothing will bring productivity and concentration back to normal levels.
I'm an architect, so open floorplans have been the standard workplace both in universities and in firms for over a century. It makes sense; it's a huge waste of materials to build private partitions for everybody.

My last employer took it to extremes; with over 150 people in the office, only three people had private offices. Everybody else had an identical, small desk (or several) with no partitions to separate them. People typically self-censored their live and phone conversations at their desk, and then reserved any one of a series of conference rooms for private discussions or meetings.

In this type of workspace, I do concentrate better with headphones/music so I can tune out the sound. Unfortunately many employers frown on that as unprofessional. Even NPR is good background noise.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 11:54 AM

CME looking to open futures exchange in London

CME Group is considering opening a futures exchange in London to expand in Europe where it has a clearing business, the Financial Times reported on Tuesday, citing the Europe head of the U.S.-based exchange operator.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 2:56 PM
born again cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralcoffin View Post
Cook County's population is growing, according to the county population estimates released today, gaining 17,000 people in a year.

National rank...County...2010 Census....July 1, 2010....July 1, 2011
2.....Cook County, IL......5,194,675......5,199,971.......5,217,080
52....DuPage County, IL...916,924........917,942........923,222
84....Lake County, IL.......703,462........704,492........706,222
89....Will County, IL.........677,560........678,873........681,545

The CSA as a whole is now estimated at 9,729,825, a growth of 32,000 in a year. (So a little over half of the population growth in the area occurred in Cook County.)
these are excellent numbers if these estimates can be trusted at all.

from census 2010, these estimates indicate the following growth:

cook - 22,405
dupage - 6,298
lake - 2,760
will - 3,985

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 11:29 PM
પટેલ. કે ન

http://chicagoist.com/2012/04/10/lag..._chicago_b.php

Lagunitas Brewing Opening Chicago Brewhouse

Chicago's craft beer community, already growing by leaps and bounds, received a major boost last night with the announcement that Lagunitas Brewing Company will be building a brewhouse in Chicago.

- The brewhouse will be located at 18th and Rockwell. That's the old Ryerson steel mill site that's now home to Cinespace Chicago film studios, where Boss is filmed and The Playboy Club was briefly filmed.
- Construction of the brewhouse should completed by July 2013, with the first mash in in the fourth quarter 2013.
- The brewhouse is a 250-barrel system to be built by Roec, which recently completed a similar system for Lagunitas' brewery in Petaluma, Calif.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 5:35 PM
BANNED

I though cinespace was on 15th? Is the studio moving? Or is lagunitas taking empty space

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 8:21 PM
spooky action

Lagunitas? That's interesting, though I don't see the local craft beer community angle excitement. I'd kind of be off put if I was a local Chicago craft/micro brand, and don't see it as a kind of big boost to the "scene." That sounds like sour grapes, I know. Confusing from the point of view of their west coast flavored brand, too. It's not like when Deschutes opens a satellite brewhouse in Portland or Seattle.

For Magee, this announcement also serves as something of a homecoming, as he was born and raised in Chicago. Magee said the new brewery would be "a little bit of Northern California in Chicago," and Lagunitas itself is "a little bit of Chicago in Northern California.

I guess that explains it a little bit more, but I don't get it. Why doesn't the dude open up an entirely new Chicago centric brand to Chicago, that would be far more exciting. You know certainly I wouldnt downplay the association with Lagunitas either.

Does anyone know where I can find a list of Chicago breweries? I've been trying to keep up.
the smoky candle end of time

Last edited by Centropolis; Apr 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 8:41 PM
born again cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
Lagunitas? That's interesting, though I don't see the local craft beer community angle excitement.
it's simple: the more beer brewed locally, the better it is. chicago used to be a big brewing city until milwaukee stole all of our thunder after the fire. anyone who wishes to brew beer of any brand in chicago is more than welcome.

Quote:
Why doesn't the dude open up an entirely new Chicago centric brand to Chicago, that would be far more exciting.
lagunitas is already a fairly well known and well-liked brand in chicago. by brewing under the same name they don't have to start from scratch from an advertising/brand awareness perspective.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 8:54 PM
spooky action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
it's simple: the more beer brewed locally, the better it is. chicago used to be a big brewing city until milwaukee stole all of our thunder after the fire. anyone who wishes to brew beer of any brand in chicago is more than welcome.

lagunitas is already a fairly well known and well-liked brand in chicago. by brewing under the same name they don't have to start from scratch from an advertising/brand awareness perspective.
Yeah I guess Chicago isnt preoccupied with being localist and provincial when it comes to beer because brewing is not as intimately and specifically tied in with it's heritage as it is with Milwaukee and St. Louis. Instinctively I would view it as some kind of intrusion like...some Brewing Co from California showing up and showing us how craft beer is really brewed at a time when all midwestern cities are opening lots of very good new breweries and brew houses and beer gardens.

As well, I like that when I'm in Chicago it's a crossroads and major market for midwestern beer brewed in several regional states, too, and I can easily find stuff from Michigan and Wisco, etc that I don't here, while Lagunitas is common everywhere and has become one of the juggernauts of craft beer.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 8:57 PM
born again cyclist

^ the fact that magee is chicago born and raised also makes it feel more natural, ie. he's not some california outsider trying to muscle in on our territory; he's one of us.

you can take the boy of chicago, but you can't take chicago out of the boy.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 9:05 PM
spooky action

Quote:
^ the fact that magee is chicago born and raised also makes it feel more natural, ie. he's not some california outsider trying to muscle in on our territory; he's one of us.

you can take the boy of chicago, but you can't take chicago out of the boy.
Fair enough, and from a business point of view, its great. I'm very irrationally stuffy and provincial about my beer and mainly only drink stuff from the neighborhood brewery/brew house. There's little cross town rivalries, even. It's in my blood, but I can see how my comments look pretty stupid and petty. For some reason it even bothers me that Milwaukee is a "brew city." Chicago is a different universe.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 9:08 PM
born again cyclist

Quote:
I'm very irrationally stuffy and provincial about my beer and mainly only drink stuff from the neighborhood brewery/brew house.
that's too bad. there's an entire world (literally) of delicious beer out there.

expand your horizons; life's too short for just one beer.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 12:34 AM
પટેલ. કે ન

Quote:

Right this explains it a bit more.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...unitas-brewing

Why Lagunitas is opening a Chicago brewery ... and what it will mean for beer drinkers

April 10, 2012|By Josh Noel | Tribune Newspapers

On Feb. 24, Tony Magee, the founder and owner of quickly-growing Lagunitas Brewing, sent a photo to the world via Twitter that showed a brown-haired woman in a massive hangar-like space below the words, "What would YOU do with a space like this?"

The woman was Magee's sister, Karen Hamilton, who works in marketing for the brewery. And the space? It turns out Magee was working on bringing Lagunitas East to Chicago.

Lagunitas has signed a five-year lease on a former steel factory at 18th and Rockwell streets, in the Douglas Park neighborhood, behind a film studio and sound stage. The lease includes multiple options that should keep the brewery there for at least 20 years, Magee said.

In beer drinking circles, the news was as huge as it was surprising; Lagunitas is one of the nation's fastest-growing breweries, with 2010 sales jumping 38 percent from the previous year, according to the most recent statistics from the Brewers Association. This year's sales are up 55 percent from last year, the brewery says.

Magee said he had been long concerned about both the amount of money and diesel emissions that the brewery expends while shipping to the 32 states where Lagunitas is available. In February, while driving to work, he was struck with an idea: instead of spending all that money to ship the beer thousands of miles, what about opening a second brewery in Chicago? ...

Magee said there was nowhere he wanted to be other than Chicago.

"It's frickin' Chicago, man," he said. "It's the crossroads of the country. There's only one Chicago. And I'm from there so I understand it."

. The plan is for all Lagunitas beer distributed east of the Rocky Mountains will be made in Chicago. The brewery will easily be the largest in Chicago.

What will this mean for Chicago beer drinkers? A lot, probably.

Magee said he plans to open a tasting room in the center of the new brewery that will be surrounded by tall equipment. They'll likely offer tours and sell typical brewery swag

That said, the city and brewery already have a deep relationship; In recent years, Lagunitas has brewed several Chicago-only beers with input from the likes of Big Star, Publican and others.

.... Hamilton said Lagunitas will consider itself as much a Midwestern brewery — with the likes of Bell's, Founders and Goose Island — as a West Coast brewery.

"I've joked for years that we make a Midwest beer brewed in California," Hamilton said.

...."

In this link they state that they will add around 100 jobs.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...nds-to-Chicago

Last edited by bnk; Apr 13, 2012 at 12:49 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 2:17 AM

Quote:
these are excellent numbers if these estimates can be trusted at all.

from census 2010, these estimates indicate the following growth:

cook - 22,405
dupage - 6,298
lake - 2,760
will - 3,985
Given that Cook county is a little more than 5 million, would you guess that a little more than 50% of the 22.4k is within the city? If that continued for a decade, that'd be about 100k in the city.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:03 PM

Chicago is commodities central, so this seems relevant:

The Next Global Crash: Why You Should Fear the Commodities Bubble

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 11:57 PM

Chicago Startups Yield $160M In Q1

http://nibletz.com/2012/04/chicago-s...est-mentality/

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Chicago is commodities central, so this seems relevant:

The Next Global Crash: Why You Should Fear the Commodities Bubble
Almost made it through the third poorly written paragraph. The writer either misunderstands derivatives markets or is trying to promote the all too common misrepresentation of the roles played by hedging and speculating in risk management.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 3:01 PM

French company moving its U.S. headquarters from Virginia to Illinois

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...se-to-illinois

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 5:45 PM
પટેલ. કે ન

More updated info on the move.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,3706080.story

French company to create 90-plus jobs near O'Hare

By Kathy Bergen

Tribune reporter

12:36 PM CDT, April 17, 2012

Paris-based building-materials giant Lafarge will relocate its North American headquarters from Virginia to Illinois, Gov. Pat Quinn's office announced this morning.

Lafarge North America agreed to invest about $10 million to move to an as-yet-undetermined site near O'Hare International Airport, and to create more than 90 jobs here during the first two years. Over three or four years, that total could grow to more than 100, the governor's office said.

In turn, the state will provide an incentive package worth $6.3 million, including potential tax credits and a job training grant, assuming the company meets hiring and investment targets.

"The location around O'Hare and along the I-294 corridor is an ideal area for us."

The deal was sealed last month when Quinn traveled to Europe with Chicago's NATO Summit host committee, his office said. The delegation visited NATO headquarters in Brussels, and Quinn held some business meetings as well, including with Lafarge executives.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 8:32 PM
BANNED

http://urbanplacesandspaces.blogspot...eed-to-be.html

Tuesday, April 17, 2012
A lesson to cities that they need to be very careful when leasing assets to public private "partnerships"
The garage under Millennium Park (itself used in part to fund the creation of Millennium Park) is one of the city-owned parking garages that has been leased out to a private firm. Photo: Rich Hein~Sun-Times.

The City of Chicago's leasing, first of four parking structures, and then all of their street-based parking meters, to a consortium led by Morgan Stanley, has been replete with problems. Overall, the city is said to have received about 1/10 of the value of the leases in upfront payments, which isn't enough. Residents erupted over big increases in meter pricing. Recently, the city was hit with a big bill from the consortium for the provision of "free" parking for the disabled.

The more and more I think and learn about this arrangement the more I think the city got bilked; the city needs to find a way to void this contract

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest