HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
...edit: Just a thought, and I'm by no means pushing a political agenda, just a harsh reality. If Romney is elected, and a "Make the U.S. Independant" energy development agenda is pushed, we will see Utah's Capital boom like crazy. We are seeing it in all regions of Canada, and how it is affecting their highrise growth. Much of the skyline development of cities such as Calgary and Toronto is being generated either directly or indirectly by it's energy boom. Utah is the Saudi Arabia of North America, when it comes to gas and oil. Bringing the skyscapers home to SLC quickly would best be accomplished by a Washington agenda of energy independance.

Romney doesn't have a chance against an Obama re-election. Just sayin.

Also, we'd all be better off with the development of CLEAN/sustainable forms of energy. Now, where to get the funding... How about from the Military budget, or from the one percent (oh, hello Romney)?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 5:48 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post

Romney doesn't have a chance against an Obama re-election. Just sayin.

Also, we'd all be better off with the development of CLEAN/sustainable forms of energy. Now, where to get the funding... How about from the Military budget, or from the one percent (oh, hello Romney)?

That doesn't surprise me coming from somebody who hates the LDS church.
Romney WILL be our next president. And he will turn things around.

If you want to talk Politics and try to back up your claims to why you THINK Romney doesn't stand a chance then we can have this debate over in the Utah Politics thread. Otherwise lets get back to development topics.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 6:15 PM

Whether or not Romney is out next president, I hope doesn't impede the growth of our state. Truly Utah is a beacon of economic light in our world. We have so much to offer. We will become a large energy producer, we also have many wonderful landmarks for tourism, and a great ski industry. The financial sector is beginning to notice the wealth that is imminently upon us, (Goldman Sachs), and we have quite a good agricultural foundation as well. We truly are a great state, and I'm thankful every day for what we have. We should all work hard, which I'm sure we all do, to make sure it stays great!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 6:30 PM

Can we PLEASE keep the political bickering off of this thread? Please?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

That doesn't surprise me coming from somebody who hates the LDS church.
Romney WILL be our next president. And he will turn things around.

If you want to talk Politics and try to back up your claims to why you THINK Romney doesn't stand a chance then we can have this debate over in the Utah Politics thread. Otherwise lets get back to development topics.
Just coming from someone who has lived outside of Utah.

Last edited by Old&New; Apr 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 7:34 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek1978 View Post
Whether or not Romney is out next president, I hope doesn't impede the growth of our state. Truly Utah is a beacon of economic light in our world. We have so much to offer. We will become a large energy producer, we also have many wonderful landmarks for tourism, and a great ski industry. The financial sector is beginning to notice the wealth that is imminently upon us, (Goldman Sachs), and we have quite a good agricultural foundation as well. We truly are a great state, and I'm thankful every day for what we have. We should all work hard, which I'm sure we all do, to make sure it stays great!
You mentioned Goldman Sachs, and as the article that was posted a month or so back stated. Other financial firms like Goldman Sachs are beginning to eye Utah as their next expansion, JP Morgan Chase and others. It is these companies that will be part of Salt Lake's upward growth. These types of companies have egos, and often times want to have the biggest, newest and shiniest building around. So here's to hoping for a mine is bigger than yours fest in the next few years.

When SLC does get the bid for 2022, those financial companies that already have a presence here will want to make sure that presence is know and displayed for all the world to see.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 12:04 AM

Hopefully these towers will fill the voids on West Temple and State Street, as well as the church parking lot across from Little America. Id rather the existing Main Street be left alone.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:

Hopefully these towers will fill the voids on West Temple and State Street, as well as the church parking lot across from Little America. Id rather the existing Main Street be left alone.
I wouldn't mind seeing some of this on State Street as well and some infill in the Gateway area. Like to see more in the way of housing around the Gateway area and the intermodel hub.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 2:35 AM

4/14/12

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 3:00 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Beautiful shot. Looks like 222 South Main still has two floors or so that are still empty.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 9:58 AM

Salt Lake City ranked in top 10 cities to buy a home

Utah's capitol city was ranked among the top 10 U.S. cities in which to buy a home in the current housing market.

The list, compiled by The National Association of Realtors was made using data from the February housing and jobs data, the U.S. home price index from Fiserv Case-Shiller and unemployment rates from the Bureau of Labor Statistics across 146 metropolitan areas and metropolitan divisions

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1999...&s_cid=queue-9

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 8:34 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Just coming from someone who has lived outside of Utah.

What does living out of Utah have to do with anything?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

What does living out of Utah have to do with anything?
You get a better sense of how the rest of the nation views mitt romney, that's all.

Now on to more development news:

UFood Restaurant Group Opens First of Two UFood Grill Units at Salt Lake City International Airport
National Expansion Takes Off

Quote:
BOSTON, Apr 09, 2012 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- UFood Restaurant Group Inc. UFFC -7.50% announced today that they have opened the first of two UFood Grill units at Salt Lake City International Airport, Salt Lake City, Utah as part of the airport’s revitalized concessions program. The first Salt Lake City UFood Grill location opened Friday, April 6th, with the second slated to open in late April, 2012. Airports present a strong growth opportunity for UFood Grill as travelers seek quick, healthy meal options. The company currently operates airport locations in Boston, Cleveland and Dallas.

Hojeij Branded Foods (HBF), UFood Grill’s franchisee for the two Salt lake City airport locations, operates multiple food and beverage concessions at many of the nation’s top airports...
Continued: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ufo...ort-2012-04-09

Last edited by Old&New; Apr 16, 2012 at 5:19 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 12:44 AM

Speaking of, didn't the airport just complete a major overhaul of its restaurants?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 1:40 AM

Quote:
You get a better sense of how the rest of the nation views mormons and how they would likely vote if one of the candidates running for president were mormon, that's all.
Coming from someone who lives in the nation's capitol, where politics is kind of a big deal, I would suggest that you might want to clarify who you are trying to actually speak for, rather than trying to speak for the nation as a whole.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:44 AM

Bringing us back on topic again:

Salt Lake City joins Energy Star rankings
The Salt Lake Tribune

Quote:
Salt Lake City has joined the list of top 25 U.S. cities with the most Energy Star buildings, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Big cities — Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Chicago, San Francisco — dominate the 2011 rankings. Smaller cities, including Salt Lake City, Colorado Springs and Tampa, edged onto the latest list.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53...-lake.html.csp

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 6:51 AM
Roll out the trains!

Hey guys,

I'm studying abroad this summer in Argentina! In just two weeks I'll be leaving the country and won't be back until late July, so I expect you all to fill me in on what's going on in Salt Lake City for the next three months.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 7:24 AM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
Hey guys,

I'm studying abroad this summer in Argentina! In just two weeks I'll be leaving the country and won't be back until late July, so I expect you all to fill me in on what's going on in Salt Lake City for the next three months.

Have a great time! And check in on my flickr account. I plan on doing a lot of updates this summer!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 11:32 AM

SLCDude, I'm jealous, I've always wanted to visit Argentina, especially Buenos Aires.

Sean, thanks for allowing me to continue to post your great pics on the Comp. Thread. I empathize with your frustration. I was also very frustrated yesterday with a couple of the threads.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 12:02 PM

Hey Skyscraper Nerds,

I don't know if this is an appropriate place to do this, but if it's not, someone let me know and I'll remove it, or get kicked off or something.

Saturday April 28th is the SLC MS Walk. It starts at the Gateway at 10 AM, and is a three mile walk that goes up to Warm Springs Park (I think that's the name of it) and then loops back down through the Marmalade District. I went last year for the first time, and it was very enjoyable, and I saw parts of the city that I hadn't ever seen before. Plus it's for a good cause and junk.

IF any of you are interested in joining our team for it, there's information on it here: http://quinnarama.blogspot.com/2012/...salt-lake.html ...Sean let me use some of his pictures from 2011's walk that he happened to be out taking that afternoon. Grab some friends and family and sign up, and come join us for a walk through the city. It's healthy, it's fun, it's free, it's benefiting someone.

If you have any questions, you can message me here or e-mail or smoke signal or whatever.

...and if this is inappropriate, I apologize and beg forgiveness.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West