HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 8:24 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I wish we could have a pilot like this:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...168/story.html

I see the pilot is scheduled to end this Saturday.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 8:34 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I wish we could have a pilot like this:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...168/story.html

I see the pilot is scheduled to end this Saturday.
Would be interesting for 17th avenue, but the LRT runs pretty late anyways. The only problem is 17th is a ways from the LRT, and even Stampede Station is quite some distance from the concentration of activity on 17th

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 8:34 PM

I was not sure in which thread I should post this link, but he mentions the SELRT a lot so I'll post it here. I know you all read all the threads anyway.

First, go to citiesmatter.ca to read the survey and parties' answers. Then click on the link below to see how Nenshi rated their responses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INjgy...ature=youtu.be

It reminds me of a teacher giving feedback on an assignment, and the whole class just marginally passed. Whatever their policies may be, the provincial party leaders should take a lesson from Nenshi when it comes to being upfront and transparent. Albertans are smart enough to know when your answers are vague or ill-informed.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 8:38 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Would be interesting for 17th avenue, but the LRT runs pretty late anyways. The only problem is 17th is a ways from the LRT, and even Stampede Station is quite some distance from the concentration of activity on 17th
Also a problem if you live in the catchment of future LRTs, like SE and north central. Would it be cheaper to even stop LRT service at midnight and just run a BRT instead? I'd like to see BRTs running all night every 30-40 mins along all current and future LRT routes, and if they can save money by stopping LRT service earlier than it is now and replace by bus, so be it.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 9:02 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Looks like the Edmonton service got ~1500 riders over 15 weekends

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 10:40 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Re: the issue with centre street transit corridor filling up necessitating the need for LRT

Just replace the existing buses with these

http://www.bussales.nl/?item=69&article=1455

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 4:03 PM

Reminds me of the vehicle they created for that spectacular disaster flick: The Big Bus

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:46 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

For those of you who follow transit writer's and blogs- Jarrett Walker, a transit consultant and author, was here yesterday evening giving a talk about Transit Planning, and is giving a talk with City staff this afternoon. He will also be at a forum tomorrow at the Gateway at SAIT from 9:30 until 12:00.

I had the chance to speak with him one on one and he has some really great insight into transit for Calgary. He has a very pragmatic approach to transit planning and had some great criticisms of land use planners and new urbanists.

I encourage all of you to read his blog (www.humantransit.org) and to buy his book ("Human Transit: How Clearer Thinking about Public Transit Can Enrich Our Communities and Our Lives" available on Amazon).

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:50 PM

Cool little time-lapse of the NW-S LRT from end to end.

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2012/...-in-5-minutes/

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 1:17 AM

Here's an article from yesterday.

Anyone go to this last night? How was it?

Unfortunately I couldn't attend. Couldn't get time off.

Quote:
International transit expert praises Calgary's high parking rates

By Sherri Zickefoose, Calgary Herald April 12, 2012

Calgary's notoriety for having one of the costliest parking rates in the world is "courageous" for promoting commuters to use transit.
An international transit design and policy expert is applauding the city's costly downtown parking rates.

"It's a courageous decision for a city of your size, and I applaud it. Lots of other cities of your size are nowhere near being politically ready to do that," said Jarrett Walker, a Portland-based public transit design and policy expert.

Walker is speaking at a free lecture tonight at the John Dutton Theatre in the W.R. Castell Central Library, 616 Macleod Trail S.E. It starts at 7 p.m.

[...]

Walker will lecture on how the geometry of transit shapes successful systems, and the local choices that lead to transit-friendly development.

"A lot of my work is about how we talk about transit and how we're encouraged to think about transit. It should be less about technology and more about maximizing people's ability to get where they want to go."
Link to the rest of the article

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 2:40 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Here's an article from yesterday.

Anyone go to this last night? How was it?

Unfortunately I couldn't attend. Couldn't get time off.

Link to the rest of the article
It was a great talk. Jarrett Walker is really well spoken. Only about 50 people at the talk though. Needed some better advertising leading up. But it was

The event on Saturday was well attended as well. About 70 people. There were interactive stations on four themes (funding, governance, customer experience, route planning) and then a panel discussion. All in all a pretty good success.

The part I liked best was during the talk when Jarrett said "You have to understand that short stop spacing is a very particular North American phenomenon. This doesn't happen anywhere else in the world, and for good reason, because it is bad" (paraphrasing).

EDIT- You can check out the talk and the panel discussions here: http://transitcamp.ca/

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:10 PM
Construction Enthusiast

This may be of interest to some:

Centre Street Reconstruction and Transit Priority.

Information Session Notice - May 15

The city's website says that this will go ahead this summer.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:22 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
This may be of interest to some:

Centre Street Reconstruction and Transit Priority.

Information Session Notice - May 15

The city's website says that this will go ahead this summer.
Great news! Anything to improve transit efficiency on Centre Street is quite welcome.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 6:31 PM

This will be a huge improvement in the area!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 4:59 PM

Quote:
EDIT- You can check out the talk and the panel discussions here: http://transitcamp.ca/
Do you (or anyone else) know if these talks were recorded? I looked at the Ustream links via transitcamp.ca, but unfortunately it appears that they were only broadcast live and not archived. I wouldn't mind having a look, if possible.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 5:04 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Do you (or anyone else) know if these talks were recorded? I looked at the Ustream links via transitcamp.ca, but unfortunately it appears that they were only broadcast live and not archived. I wouldn't mind having a look, if possible.
The talks unfortunately did not archive. I believe there is a short talk on CBC radio homestretch you can search.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 5:10 PM

Quote:
The talks unfortunately did not archive. I believe there is a short talk on CBC radio homestretch you can search.
Thanks - I will do that!

Edit: For those interested, you can find the segment here: http://www.cbc.ca/homestretch/episod...ransit-system/
And if you're more interested in podcasts, you can subscribe to the Homestretch podcast and it is on Friday's episode.

In the future, because some of us aren't able to get out to these talks and events in person, would it be possible to have them recorded and archived? Obviously there are logistical considerations, but it would be helpful for those of us who are interested but unable to attend in person or watch live.

Last edited by Stang; Apr 17, 2012 at 8:11 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:18 PM
Construction Enthusiast

I just saw a C-Train heading south towards Whitehorn Station stop and wait for two firetrucks to go through the intersection at 44th Ave. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Interesting little tidbit relating to transit from the election material I've got at my house - Grant Galpin, the Wildrose candidate in my riding (Calgary-McCall) has on his brochure that he will fight for C-Train to the airport within this decade.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
Interesting little tidbit relating to transit from the election material I've got at my house - Grant Galpin, the Wildrose candidate in my riding (Calgary-McCall) has on his brochure that he will fight for C-Train to the airport within this decade.
Beyond funding, do MLAs even have any say over that kind of thing? That's all civic, right?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:33 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
Beyond funding, do MLAs even have any say over that kind of thing? That's all civic, right?
If that project is going to be done this decade, the funding for it (and other LRT projects of higher priority) would have to come completely from the province.

The ultimate decision to go ahead with the project would be from the city government, yes, but if the province told the city that they wanted to build the project, the city wouldn't object.

To be done this decade would certainly mean that the connection would be to the NE line through the Airport Trail tunnel, which would certainly require the NE LRT line to be extended to 96th Ave/Airport trail, and for the entire roadway of Airport Trail to be completed (which due to the agreement with the Airport Authority requires interchanges to be built as well on Airport Trail at 19th and at Barlow. It starts to become a significantly large project.

(Grant was one of the leading people pushing for the construction of the Airport Trail tunnel)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure