HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 7:57 PM

Does anyone know if the 'big yellow gantry' is working yet? They said it would be sometime in April, and all I know is they leveled it about a month ago.

I could tell if they didn't take down the Port Mann North webcams, that were pointed at it. I could understand it so we couldn't see the 'boo boo', but after the gantry was leveled, you think that they would put the webcam back up.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 5:29 AM
Dense City

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
The #3 is also a gateway to the Southeast, though.

Interestingly, if you plug in Vancouver to Cranbrook into Google Maps, the first two fastest routes take you to Seattle before you head East. The third option is the crowsnest Highway.
The Southeast. Better known as the Kootenays. Were the least famous part of southern BC. And there isnt much Highway 3 discussion usually so its nice to hear. Probably because Im the only forumer whose city is actually on this highway. Oh, and 1000 posts!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
Does anyone know if the 'big yellow gantry' is working yet? They said it would be sometime in April, and all I know is they leveled it about a month ago.

I could tell if they didn't take down the Port Mann North webcams, that were pointed at it. I could understand it so we couldn't see the 'boo boo', but after the gantry was leveled, you think that they would put the webcam back up.
There was a stray precast section of bridge beside the Mary Hill bypass, might be the replacement for the piece that fell.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
The Southeast. Better known as the Kootenays. Were the least famous part of southern BC. And there isnt much Highway 3 discussion usually so its nice to hear. Probably because Im the only forumer whose city is actually on this highway. Oh, and 1000 posts!
And you may be one of the few forum posters who knows that "Cape Horn" doesn't always refer to an interchange on the west side of Port Mann, but also a cliff-hanging section of Highway 6 that wasn't modernized untill.. 1990s?

Columbia Basin Institute.. Lot's of old photos

http://www.basininstitute.org/search...s.html?id=3038

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 9:41 PM
Dense City

Oh yes i know about those cliffs. There are countless stories from tourists from east of the rockies who were actually too afraid to drlve that section of hwy 6.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Oh yes i know about those cliffs. There are countless stories from tourists from east of the rockies who were actually too afraid to drlve that section of hwy 6.
Its still a pretty awesome drive; you climb up pretty darn high with Slocan Lake literally DOWN the cliff out your passenger-side windows (heading south that is).

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 8:42 PM

152nd St. offramp from the Port Mann Bridge returns to its right lane exit configuration permanently. Let's see how many drivers forget that Hwy 1 is a 38km long construction zone.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 6:16 PM

did all the proposed electronic message signage that was to pass on travel times along Highway 1 get cut somewhere? They're putting all the large gantries for the exit signage, but I have yet to see any spots where large overhead CMS boards will be installed...

I thought that was part of this project?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 6:47 PM

6 locations will have electronic signage. I have a feeling that such signage will be one of the very last elements of the project to be put in place. We still have over a year to go until the project is complete.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
6 locations will have electronic signage. I have a feeling that such signage will be one of the very last elements of the project to be put in place. We still have over a year to go until the project is complete.
I understand that, but wouldn't you expect to see bases, supports, etc start to arise.

As well, will the project include intelligent traffic information system, providing info on congestion, travel times, accidents..etc.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 8:41 PM

Why? How long does it take to construct the base of a lamp standard?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 9:11 PM

I suspect that if traffic is being shifted around on the RoW, then bases for overhead signs would get in the way.

The bases of the light standards that run in the median look like they are pre-cast - so easy to install late in the process.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 11:29 PM

It may have been posted before, but I just noticed these webpages on the Port Mann Highway 1 website with Detailed Project Designs (dated January 2012):

Vancouver/Burnaby:
http://www.pmh1project.com/in-your-c...t-Designs.aspx

Coquitlam/Cape Horn:

Surrey:

Langley:

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 11:39 PM
Vancouver User

^From the Vancouver/Burnaby part:

Quote:
Note: The existing Cassiar Tunnel was built to accommodate three lanes in each direction, which will be completed as part of the PMH1 Project.
Anyone know about the PMH1 Project and it's timeline or status? Because the Gateway construction seems to end just East of the tunnel.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post

I was down there yesterday and they have moved the gantry east onto the last set of columns.(3/3) They have placed a couple sections and can go only a few columns west until they need to get the old bridge out of the way.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 1:03 AM

You know... for the Willingdon interchange... would it make more sense to turn it into an actual parclo A6 with the south to east bound loop being replaced by a tunnel or flyover? =S Probably too late to change things now though =S

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
You know... for the Willingdon interchange... would it make more sense to turn it into an actual parclo A6 with the south to east bound loop being replaced by a tunnel or flyover? =S Probably too late to change things now though =S
I was thinking of the same thing. It would however make too much sense. You see, when the MOT makes their capital budget project selections, road projects that make too much sense and save money in the long run for taxpayers are deselected. Only when existing capacity is breached in the near future would a flyover be considered, at inflated material and labor costs...

Another example of this is the intersection of Fraser Hwy and Highway 15. Two provincial highways intersect and an interchange would have removed the bottleneck caused by the red light, avoid the need to widen Fraser Highway in Serpentine (which won't resolve the bottleneck because the lane expansion will only line up more cars at the bottleneck), and the US bound trucks on Hwy 15 would be able to move goods quicker without the incessant stop light at Fraser Hwy.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
I was thinking of the same thing. It would however make too much sense. You see, when the MOT makes their capital budget project selections, road projects that make too much sense and save money in the long run for taxpayers are deselected. Only when existing capacity is breached in the near future would a flyover be considered, at inflated material and labor costs...

Another example of this is the intersection of Fraser Hwy and Highway 15. Two provincial highways intersect and an interchange would have removed the bottleneck caused by the red light, avoid the need to widen Fraser Highway in Serpentine (which won't resolve the bottleneck because the lane expansion will only line up more cars at the bottleneck), and the US bound trucks on Hwy 15 would be able to move goods quicker without the incessant stop light at Fraser Hwy.
last time i check Fraser hwy wasnt a provincial highway.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
last time i check Fraser hwy wasnt a provincial highway.
It was, until the mid-late 1990s, when it was downloaded to the province.

But the post is correct, that intersection sees SO many delays in all directions, although the widening to Fraser Hwy will help out alot, it still should likely include an interchange there.

Same with at Highway 10, although logistically, with the development, it would be near impossible to complete.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 8:33 AM

is that 176 and fraser hwy intersection?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure