HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Based on options for Broadway Corridor Study, what is your preferred choice?
BRT: Commercial to UBC 15 5.81%
LRT A: Commercial to UBC OR Commercial via VCC to UBC 21 8.14%
LRT B: Main St. to UBC AND Commercial to UBC 11 4.26%
RRT: Commercial to UBC OR VCC to UBC 173 67.05%
COMBO: RRT to Arbutus/LRT to Main St via Arbutus 30 11.63%
BUS: Enhanced Bus Service for all buses to UBC 8 3.10%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
That means new signage for 10 stations. Maybe they can save $$$ by making yellow the colour of the Coquitlam-VCC Evergreen line... The Canada line isn't red, so why make the Evergreen green? (sarcasm, in case that's not obvious)... Three lines, two of them shades of blue..
Duh the obvious choice is to make the new line Cyan, so that we can have three shades of blue!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 12:23 PM

meanwhile back in Paris .......

.... the subway (métro) has lines, all numbered. On the map there are four shades of green for lines 3, 6, 9, and 12; magenta, pink, pale violet and deep purple for lines 4, 7, 8 and 14 respectively; mustard yellow for line 10, bright yellow for the flagship line 1, orange for line 5, brown for line 11, dark blue and light blue for lines 2 and 13 respectively.

Very pretty, and not difficult to understand

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 4:40 PM

Compared to the $1.4 billion cost of the new line, buying signs for existing stations is a drop in the bucket. Anyway, every station will need some new signs due to the revised network and due to fare gates.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 1:53 AM
Κύριε ἐλέησοv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Mexico City uses letters and numbers....for station names they use pictures, I kid you not.
Not quite. We use numbers (lines 1-12) and letters (lines A and B) for lines and names for stations. Stations aren't named by pictures, but every station does have its own unique "logo". Part of the reason for this was because when the first lines were built in the 60's there was a high degree of illiteracy and having a distinct logo as well as name for every station helped. For example Coyoacan means coyote in Nahuatl so the station logo is a coyote. The logo for the Benito Juarez (first president of Mexico) station is his silhouette. The tradition to have a logo for each station has continued to this day

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galeforcewinds View Post
Not quite. We use numbers (lines 1-12) and letters (lines A and B) for lines and names for stations. Stations aren't named by pictures, but every station does have its own unique "logo". Part of the reason for this was because when the first lines were built in the 60's there was a high degree of illiteracy and having a distinct logo as well as name for every station helped. For example Coyoacan means coyote in Nahuatl so the station logo is a coyote. The logo for the Benito Juarez (first president of Mexico) station is his silhouette. The tradition to have a logo for each station has continued to this day
I know the station had names but they are hard to see. On the maps on the metro I could only make out the pictures as they seemed to be the primary form of identifying the stations. I know there are alot of cities in Mexico that still use pictures instead of street names too, a relic from the past(obviously they have street numbers to but they are in small font bellow the picture). I remember that when I was in Merida they used the pictures extensively all over to represent street names. I thought it was pretty cool but a bit of a pain when the street numbers were sometimes hard to see or find.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 5:06 PM

Something that's almost never printed in the newspapers when they talk about the Evergreen line being more 'necessary' than the broadway line is that the 97 bus that goes from lougheed station to coquitlam runs at the MOST, every 10 minutes, and usually every 15 minutes instead. there's not that much demand.

whereas the 99 bus is running every 2 minutes for most of the day.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st7860 View Post
Something that's almost never printed in the newspapers when they talk about the Evergreen line being more 'necessary' than the broadway line is that the 97 bus that goes from lougheed station to coquitlam runs at the MOST, every 10 minutes, and usually every 15 minutes instead. there's not that much demand.

whereas the 99 bus is running every 2 minutes for most of the day.
It just that Evergreen Line is almost 10 years ahead of Broadway Line in term of design and support.

By the way, the combined frequency of the routes that Evergreen Line will directly replace is every 4.5min at peak, 6min mid-day, 6.5min evening, and 7.5min weekend. It will become every 5min in the evening and 6.5min weekend starting this June.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 1:06 AM
with glowing hearts

There was a 3-car collision on Trimble and West 10th Avenue today, causing a massive backup of cars and buses on both directions of West 10th. Going westbound to UBC, there were 12 buses lined up behind the collision as no vehicle could go through - most of them were 99 B-Line buses.

LRT, I think not.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
There was a 3-car collision on Trimble and West 10th Avenue today, causing a massive backup of cars and buses on both directions of West 10th. Going westbound to UBC, there were 12 buses lined up behind the collision as no vehicle could go through - most of them were 99 B-Line buses.

LRT, I think not.
Given the current ridership to UBC on all the various bus routes, it would be crazy not to build subway to UBC. Ridership could easily be more than 100,000. LRT could not handle that at-grade. It would be better to integrate it with Skytrain anyways.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 5:22 AM

Quote:

LRT, I think not.
Actually in that case the LRT just needs to have a massive bumper on the front and then plow its way through the debris.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 6:35 AM

Quote:
westbound to UBC, there were 12 buses lined up behind the collision as no vehicle could go through - most of them were 99 B-Line buses.
So much for the supposed ability for buses to reroute around problems.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 6:39 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
So much for the supposed ability for buses to reroute around problems.
This was at the beginning of rush hour too, at 4 pm.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 9:49 PM

I saw a great public service announcement poster in Portland a couple of years back for their MAX lrt system. It read:

MAX weighs 70 tons. You don't.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2012, 11:22 AM

As stated or implied in many of the above posts, it seems that a full RRT line (underground) to UBC is the best and most logical long-term option. Too bad more people aren't creating transit fantasies on that - especially the UBC part, under the escarpment.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 5:30 AM

Which option will it be?

A lot of the chatter I hear - comments on Human Transit, and some of the documents published officially (I forget where - I think on the city's website) suggest that the option that will be chosen is SkyTrain. Is this at all confirmed, and if not, when will the choice be made?

Another question: what's the line's funding status? I get conflicting information - sometimes I don't see explicit funding sources, sometimes I read that there's already some money from a provincial fund to reduce carbon emissions.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alon View Post
A lot of the chatter I hear - comments on Human Transit, and some of the documents published officially (I forget where - I think on the city's website) suggest that the option that will be chosen is SkyTrain. Is this at all confirmed, and if not, when will the choice be made?

Another question: what's the line's funding status? I get conflicting information - sometimes I don't see explicit funding sources, sometimes I read that there's already some money from a provincial fund to reduce carbon emissions.
^Alon Levy, is that you? if so, welcome to Vancouver. I always pay attention to your posts on HT and other sites.

funding status is easy - there's no funding currently for the broadway line.

we went thru charettes WRT different systems (surface vs grade separation, routing) and TL should be coming out with a preferred choice in the fall. after that ????. a provincial election is booked for the spring, so that might change in the midterm future.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Be-Part-o...hats-Next.aspx

our current carbon tax goes directly to general revenue. that may change if we get a new government and it may be dedicated to transit initiatives. i'm not a big fan of that, but that's a whole other story...

http://www.fin.gov.bc.ca/tbs/tp/climate/A4.htm

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 8:38 AM

Yeah, that's me. Do you comment on HT, or do you lurk?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 3:33 PM

whats ht

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 3:45 PM

^Human transit.

I follow but post rarely, almost always under vancouver topics.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2012, 6:46 AM
<--- THAT'S REALLY ME!!!

The case for rapid transit:

http://pricetags.files.wordpress.com...-metrotown.jpg

The map says it all, rapid transit to the Broadway corridor should have come before the Millennium line. When the Evergreen line comes to service the Broadway corridor will even more crowded. Sure we all know the dilemma of serving existing demand or shaping growth; but this is clearly no dilemma when the Broadway is already the busiest bus corridor in North America. Meh...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure