HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 10:53 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Can the local burger for the NW location be a plain burger on a Kaiser bun with extra oil?
Only if the bun is beige.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
The article says that is an invitation only event, but I would hope it opens to the public soon after.

The burger in the article looks tasty.
Guinea pigs... I mean.. Friends and family May 1st . Open May 2nd to public from what I understand.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 1:17 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

I had lunch at South Silk Road on 14 St NW at 8 Ave; it was most recently a "Chinese and Western" place called Red House or something similar and for many years before that was an Italian place. This could not be more different from the place that preceded it as it's a no-punches-pulled Yunnan restaurant. This is part of China near the Burmese border and it's spicy, earthy food. There is a more western menu with ginger beef and the like but a much larger one- WITH ENGLISH TRANSLATIONS FOR EVERYTHING!- featuring all manner of pig parts and chilies all over the place. I had rice cake with egg and this sort of dry-aged pork like a prosciutto, with baby bok choy and oddly enough tomatoes. Delicious, fucking hot to boot.

We've been seeing more and more Szechaun and related places opening lately- just last week we went to Great Taste, where MBA Noodle and BBQ was, and which has some overlap with Silk Road to be sure, but I'm pretty sure this is one of the first- if not the first- Yunnan places in town, maybe the whole country. And it's nowhere near Chinatown or the NW/NE Chinese ethnoburbs, so I hope it succeeds.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 3:04 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Mmm, I love spicy, so I'll have to check it out.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
We've been seeing more and more Szechaun and related places opening lately- just last week we went to Great Taste, where MBA Noodle and BBQ was, and which has some overlap with Silk Road to be sure, but I'm pretty sure this is one of the first- if not the first- Yunnan places in town, maybe the whole country. And it's nowhere near Chinatown or the NW/NE Chinese ethnoburbs, so I hope it succeeds.
The food in Yunnan provide was my favorite during my trip to China. So many unique and utterly delicious flavours, without the over the top spice of Szechuan .

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 6:01 AM
Great White Norf

Rusty, you always have great reviews/suggestions! I'll have to check it out.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 7:57 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

I just had lunch at Crepes and Cravings on 17th- swiss, chicken, bacon and spinach, fantastic- and the owner, who is one of the nicest people you'd ever hope to meet, told me that at a BRZ meeting it was reported that the former Public Social Lounge space, which has been turned over repeatedly in the last few years, will come full circle and has been bought back by Athens By Night. I consider this very good news.

The empty space next to Wild Wings (the smaller one to the west of it) is going to be Soby's Eatery. I never got to try it when it was by Castle Callebaut but heard great things.

Other 17th resto stuff: Both Jameson and Cibo have had, or are soon having, hiring fairs. Jameson has a huge tarp up on it hoading announcing opening on, I think, May 11. Cibo has its sign up on the corner of the building (this is the old Rogers Video) and it is COOL.

Happy update on Clive Burger: I got to step inside today and chat with one of the owners. Lovely space, light wood and metal. They're shooting for an opening next Wednesday! And happiest (for me) of happy news: It's COUNTER SERVICE. No pulling a Wild Wings or even a Loungeburger and have a bar with table service and waitresses masquerading as a burger joint. You order at the counter and get on of those buzzer deals like you see all around Europe.

Oh- this is for me and Tall Bob and anybody else who knows how amazing this is going to be: They're going to have frozen custard. If it's like Michael's in Madison or Ted Drewe's in St Louis I will die happy.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 8:51 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

I believe a Greek Tapas place (forgot the name) is going to open up beside Wild wing as well.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 8:14 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Oh- this is for me and Tall Bob and anybody else who knows how amazing this is going to be: They're going to have frozen custard. If it's like Michael's in Madison or Ted Drewe's in St Louis I will die happy.
awesome! or Anderson's in Buffalo

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 10:25 PM

I know there are a few coffee guys on here, so hopefully one of you can lead me in the right direction.

I'm looking to get a burr coffee grinder. Ideally something that is built well, looks good, and is able to grind for espresso. I know these things can get expensive, but I'd like to keep it under $200.

Any recommend any particular options (this one seemed to get decent reviews http://www.amazon.ca/Bodum-Bistro-El...p/B0043095WW)? Is there a good place to look for them in town? Williams-Sonoma seems to carry a limited selection. Is there a coffee-specific shop in town?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 10:37 PM

I would highly recommend a Baratza Virtuoso around the $200 price (you'll have to go online to get it that cheap). DC motor, great unit.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 10:51 PM

Thanks, I keep seeing that name pop up....must be something to it.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 10:59 PM
Great White Norf

Rusty is pretty much Calgary's resident coffee expert

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 6:45 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Seconding the Baratza. CW, most of the better coffeehouses sell equipment- better than what you'll find on the shelves at Williams Sonoma etc. Phil & Sebastian and Kawa stock grinders and of they don't have the Virtuoso they can point you to somebody who does.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 5:04 PM

Caffe Rosso is going to be opening up their third location in the ground floor of Arriva in the spot that used to house Zia's Enoteca.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 5:08 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidepockets View Post
Caffe Rosso is going to be opening up their third location in the ground floor of Arriva in the spot that used to house Zia's Enoteca.
That's funny, considering one of Torode's sons is behind Caffe Rosso. I guess they will move in once the Guardian show centre moves to the bungalow school soon.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidepockets View Post
They're going to have to be ready for some quite times for a while until the next towers get built and residents move in.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 9:59 PM
not a NIMBY

I was reading about the Tilted Kilt in Maclean's. It is in the fast growing Hooter's "breastaurant" category of casual dining with female servers schooled in "touchology" wearing "tiny tartan tops and micro-mini kilts". Other up and comers in the category include Twin Peaks, Honey Shack, and Bone Daddy's House of Smoke.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 10:03 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I may or may not have expensed a whole week of Tilted Kilt in San Diego and had one or two girls sit with me during my every meal.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 10:08 PM

Looks like hungry, baby? didn't make it - all the furniture has been cleared out. Can't say I'm surprised, as they weren't really offering anything unique, and that location gets very little foot traffic.

And "breastaurant"? Clever, yet terrible!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation