HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > SSP: Local Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 1:14 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

The whole thing looks suburban - at this stage anyway - but it's replacing a surface parking lot... so... perhaps the bad is outweighed by the good? It's in such an odd spot, with the 405 on one side and a spanish style building on the other (what IS that building?), not to mention the Cathedral School across the street. What an odd mishmash.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopdx View Post
Here is the new development on 16th and Davis, right next to 405.
That's almost as bad as the project in Sellwood at 13th and Marion. I've got a picture of it somewhere I'll dig up, but it looks like they were both bought from the same mail order catalog.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 8:19 PM

I agree, it does look suburban. I was more excited to see it going up before the pitched roof came along. But hey, it beats a surface parking lot.

That spanish-style building I think just holds some businesses like a yoga school... maybe someone's house years ago.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
The whole thing looks suburban - at this stage anyway - but it's replacing a surface parking lot... so... perhaps the bad is outweighed by the good? It's in such an odd spot, with the 405 on one side and a spanish style building on the other (what IS that building?), not to mention the Cathedral School across the street. What an odd mishmash.
The building next door used to be a funeral home and was converted into a Spa several years ago prior to the recession and has since gone out of business. Don't know if anything has moved in to take its place.

The site with the new building was supposed to have a 10+ story building on it at one point (I saw some preliminary stuff for it somewhere once). But the recession claimed that one as well, looks like they scrapped that idea and went a lot shorter, another lost oppurtunity.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
The site with the new building was supposed to have a 10+ story building on it at one point (I saw some preliminary stuff for it somewhere once). But the recession claimed that one as well, looks like they scrapped that idea and went a lot shorter, another lost oppurtunity.
Wasn't that called "The Seven"?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 1:22 AM

16th and Davis

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 4:41 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Wow. It looks better NOW than it will when it's finished. Yikes.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 4:15 AM

Savier St. Lofts 4-21-2012:

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 12:29 AM

Update on 20th and Pettygrove from 4-29-2012:

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 4:31 PM

Welcome to Con-way Town

http://www.wweek.com/portland/articl..._way_town.html

Quote:
But Con-way, the freight giant who owns the parking lots and warehouses here, has lucrative plans to sell 17 acres, parcel by parcel, for housing, shopping and nightlife—the biggest such development near downtown since the South Waterfront—all within walking distance of the freight giant’s offices for its 750 Portland employees.
I thought someone would have already posted this article by now.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtraveler View Post
Another lot in the Con-way site (or immediately next to) just put in a pre-application the other day.
http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/in...47126&a=385260
Looks like they have submitted this for permit now.

@maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 3:49 PM

There is another big Conway property development proposal, including the much discussed grocery store, set to go before the design commission on August 18th:

EA 12-156491 DA – New Mixed-Use Development at Block 296 of the Conway Master Plan
Kara Fioravanti, BDS, 503-823-5892
APPLICANT: Tom DiChiara – CE John
ADDRESS: 1717 NW 21st Ave
The proposed project will contain approximately 185 apartment units with underground parking, and approximately 15,000 sf of ground floor retail space composed in two 6-story buildings. The project also includes the adaptive re-use of an existing 1950s-era warehouse for a 30,000sf grocery store, with
associated surface, covered, and underground parking. A 40’ wide pedestrian plaza will bifurcate the 92,000 sf site. (Note: The Conway Master Plan land use review is currently pending, LU 12-135162 MS.)

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 4:52 PM
A before E

Good to see the Conway property moving forward....though I am still annoyed with the need to tear down perfectly good buildings on 23rd....I liked that bar

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 5:00 PM

I feel like this is a 'you have to break eggs to make omelettes' kind of a situation. Plus, Lompoc are going to be a tenant in the new building.

@maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 6:15 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

2009 - 15,749 | 2010 - 17,576 | 2011 - 18,257 | 2012 - 18,794

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Good to see the Conway property moving forward....though I am still annoyed with the need to tear down perfectly good buildings on 23rd....I liked that bar

Just to be clear on the Old Lompoc site, that was not owned by Con-way. That is a totally seperate development. The other 1/2 of the block, that was parking, is the formerly Con-way owned lot.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Found the Conway development plan:

http://www.northwestdistrictassociat...ok-CURRENT.pdf /?cat=47[/url]
Developers are sure in love with the 5 over 1 design style, however, a little variation in the massing process would create a less intimidating and bulking housing form. I am pro-densification, but just because the building format worked in the pearl, it doesn't mean that it would be desirable to have that strew through every neighborhood.

For instance, I would consider breaking up the blocks to make adequate sized parcels for smaller finer grain development, with some of the large blocks created to offer a super block (with building articulation of course) development by a larger developer. That said, I am a very big fan of the modifications to the intersections to the NW of the site. 23rd and the freeway have had a constant conflict, and this modification could alleviate traffic congestion at the north end of 23rd.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 1:47 PM

new plans for remodeling the stadium fred meyer

(for some reason, i had to actually download this pdf; it wouldn't open in chrome)

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 3:55 PM
Portland Moderator

^That is a massive redevelopment for that store!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 5:43 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I thought they announced a major redevelopment of that store in March of last year. I still have a link to the article about it, but the link no longer works.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > SSP: Local Portland > Downtown & City of Portland