HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
I guess we're not going to be seeing the tap in/out system until the renos at Main Street and Metrotown are complete, unless they put in some kind of temporary readers in lieu of full faregates.

Edit: there will indeed be temporary readers installed: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1496
So basically if they set the system up so that you have to tap out to get out. That anyone entering the system at Main or Metrotown would only ever be able to get out of those stations. Going to another station would never help as the gate would simply never open.

That would be a perfect time to put a permanent police force at those stations

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 6:56 AM
zoom zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
So basically if they set the system up so that you have to tap out to get out. That anyone entering the system at Main or Metrotown would only ever be able to get out of those stations. Going to another station would never help as the gate would simply never open.

I imagine that tapping out without initially tapping in would result in a maximum fare charge, much like how tapping in but never tapping out would as well. Also I imagine (hope) that when the Compass system is brought online, attendants will be present at Main and Metrotown to remind people that they need to tap..

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post

There will be compass machines to tap in and out, but no gates. You quoted this part in your own reply.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 8:30 AM

i really hate the busses - i just missed the 19 today and i called the number and entered the stop # to see when the next one was coming, it was supposed to be within 5 minutes - well 15 minutes later it arrived and not only that there were two 19's pretty much a minute apart

than tonight - i was waiting for the 100 and called the number and stop # and it was about 11:53 and it said the next bus would be there at 12:18 and i was like ugh anyway within about 5 minutes the 100 showed up

how do they estimate these busses? is it GPS or a schedule? either way it was really off schedule and i wonder if this calling and stop # is very useful

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 9:04 AM

I use the Mobile site and I find it very accurate.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i really hate the busses - i just missed the 19 today and i called the number and entered the stop # to see when the next one was coming, it was supposed to be within 5 minutes - well 15 minutes later it arrived and not only that there were two 19's pretty much a minute apart

than tonight - i was waiting for the 100 and called the number and stop # and it was about 11:53 and it said the next bus would be there at 12:18 and i was like ugh anyway within about 5 minutes the 100 showed up

how do they estimate these busses? is it GPS or a schedule? either way it was really off schedule and i wonder if this calling and stop # is very useful
It's now GPS calculated as of recently (within the past few weeks) and tends to be quite accurate. Previously it was based on scheduled times which was problematic on some routes.

If you have a smartphone I suggest using m.translink.ca for the best information. On the mobile site you can see the actual GPS location of buses on the route, in addition to the estimated time of arrival.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 1:48 PM

Can the GPS system on the busses be used to keep the proper separation between busses on a given route because on a route tht runs with 12 minute headways there is no reason for 2 coaches to be within blocks of each other.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 4:54 PM

i've tried the ap and its just way too long to navigate and get the information

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 6:35 PM

Just type in the stop URL directly

Text View:
http://nb.translink.ca/Text/Stop/<stop number>

Map View:
http://nb.translink.ca/Map/Stop/<stop number>

Filter by route:
http://nb.translink.ca/Text/Stop/<stop number>/Route/<route number>
http://nb.translink.ca/Map/Stop/<stop number>/Route/<route number>

Track the GPS location of all buses on a route
http://nb.translink.ca/Map/Route/<route number>

Look up all stops on a route
http://nb.translink.ca/Text/Route/<route number>/Direction/<north|south|east|west>

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i've tried the ap and its just way too long to navigate and get the information

What I've done is save all the stops and or routes that I use as my bookmarks. Remember every page is just a web page and can be saved to your bookmarks. Thus you can just load the page directly instead of having to go through the home page.

I have found a few glitches with it though. As an example if I check when the next #41 bus will leave joyce. It says it will leave in 20 minutes. Which around 7pm on a weeknight I know is wrong. On that route a 20 minute wait would be a disaster.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 4:00 AM

the translink mobile page sometimes has buses in weird places because its not real time. it only updates the position when a bus pulls in/out of a stop and at various intervals.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 5:09 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st7860 View Post
the translink mobile page sometimes has buses in weird places because its not real time. it only updates the position when a bus pulls in/out of a stop and at various intervals.
There's only a certain accuracy and speed of their GPS sensors and their networks...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 5:50 AM

T-COMM gets the buses GPS location every 2 minutes (I had a STC tour back in January).

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Can the GPS system on the busses be used to keep the proper separation between busses on a given route because on a route tht runs with 12 minute headways there is no reason for 2 coaches to be within blocks of each other.
It theoretically can be used for this yes. At the moment it's not used for that. It's been experimented on the 3 but not much has come of it.

Quote:
This isn't correct. Each bus updates its location every 2 minutes (plus or minus some amount to create randomness and help with load.) Regardless it is real time information.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraki View Post
It theoretically can be used for this yes. At the moment it's not used for that. It's been experimented on the 3 but not much has come of it.

This isn't correct. Each bus updates its location every 2 minutes (plus or minus some amount to create randomness and help with load.) Regardless it is real time information.
Thats what I meant. Its not real time in the sense that you can see EXACTLY where the bus is. It would create too much congestion on the data network to have updates every 30 seconds or something like that.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 3:42 PM

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Tran...273/story.html

TransLink will go ahead with a 10-per-cent hike to cash fares as part of a new action plan, The Province has learned.

TransLink Commissioner Martin Crilly last week rejected a proposed 12.5-per-cent fare increase for 2013, saying the transit authority can find internal savings from increased financial efficiencies.

Crilly, Translink’s independent regulator, believes the billion-dollar organization can find between $40 and $50 million in cost savings between 2013 and 2015 instead of increasing “hardship” for the paying customer.

TransLink, however, has the right to a two-per-cent cash fare increase per year without independent approval.

After five years without such a fare hike and a new action plan in place to raise the bottom line, CEO Ian Jarvis said on Friday, it’s time for cash fares to be increased.

“We will move on our ability to raise cash fares,” Jarvis said. “As the commissioner has already said, we are able to do that in January 2013.”

The price hikes to cash fares will be between 25 and 50 cents.

A one-zone cash fare will cost $2.75, up from $2.50; a two-zone cash fare will go up to $4.10, from $3.75; and a three-zone cash fare will cost $5.50, up from $5.

The rejected 12.5-per-cent hike would have increased the cost of monthly FareSaver cards but TransLink can still adjust those rates.

As part of the organization’s restructuring a top-end executive was also axed.

In a department shuffle, TransLink eliminated its vice-president of planning and policy position held by Michael Schiffer.

Jarvis said Thursday in a memo to staff that Shiffer created a “structure that supports evidence-based decision making to plan for the region’s transportation system.”

It is not clear how much money the organization will save from the loss of Shiffer’s position, Jarvis said.

“The dollar figure has not been assessed,” the executive said. “The value comes from realigning the organization . . . we will measure effectiveness through our customer surveys and financial results.”

TransLink has already taken action on 35 of Crilly’s 40 recommendations.

Jarvis said earlier this week the company will honour executive bonuses they are contractually obligated to pay for 2011, but 2012 bonuses are under review.

TransLink’s 2011 financial report, released in April, revealed the company, which brought in $1.186 billion but spent $1.219 billion, had to dip into its rainy-day fund for nearly $35 million.

The fund, called a cumulative funded surplus, currently stands at $287.7 million. As part of TransLink’s Moving Forward plan, the rainy-day fund is expected to evaporate by 2016 to help fund the Evergreen Line as well as other regional road, cycling and transit priorities.

The Mayors Council for Regional Transportation on April 12 struck down a proposed increase to property taxes to cover costs. The two-year increase would have contributed $30 million per year to TransLink’s coffers.

Jarvis also confirmed TransLink fully supports a provincial audit proposed by Premier Christy Clark to find further efficiencies and cost savings.

mraptis@theprovince.com

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 7:36 PM

A 10% increase is fine with me, especially after a 5-year freeze. This is important, too, because it takes away a rhetorical cudgel from the Province and the Mayors who could argue that without the transit users being asked to pay more why should homeowners and tenants? With that said, why couldn't the two-zone fare remain at $4 instead of $4.10. I know that these smaller fare price points will be a cinch once we have Compass, but in the mean time it will feel like a hassle. The fare structure still feels pretty fair to me and with a 90 minute transfer it is a hell of a deal compared to the antiquated transfer system here in Toronto. ('up' and 'down' route restrictions, one cannot use a subway transfer obtained at a station for the surface routes at that location, once you end your trip you cannot resume it, regardless of distance of time of your journey, etc.)

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 12:19 AM

With the fare increase now confirmed, does this mean that the proposed south-of-fraser transit improvements, like the King George B-Line or the bus over the new Part Mann, will be going through again? Or are those still on hold.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track View Post
With the fare increase now confirmed, does this mean that the proposed south-of-fraser transit improvements, like the King George B-Line or the bus over the new Part Mann, will be going through again? Or are those still on hold.
10 percent over the last five years is just keeping pace with inflation, so that seems unlikely.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Thats what I meant. Its not real time in the sense that you can see EXACTLY where the bus is. It would create too much congestion on the data network to have updates every 30 seconds or something like that.
I realized the system only updated every 2 minutes.

However in regards to the glitch I mentioned about with the #41 at Joyce. I watched the system and it would start at 20 minutes and count down to 10 minutes then reset back to 20 minutes. I have a funny feeling this is due to the drivers getting to the end of their route and shutting everything down and not updating the sign. So the system as no idea there is a bus waiting to leave.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure