HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 4:04 AM

The very dark glass on the Biomat Building is going up.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 6:37 PM

I'm a bit disappointed there's not a mixed-use element to the Lotus. South Temple seems to attract a fairly steady flow of pedestrians and it's a much more pleasant walking experience than 400 South. Additionally, the commercial/restaurant offerings on that stretch are a bit limited. I'd think a cafe/coffee shop would do well in that location given the proximate office and residential.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 7:41 PM

Just thought people may be interested, the mixed-use project at 175 S. State Street, State Street Plaza has secured a building permit. I was by there today and it looked like they were prepping the area for demolition.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 8:42 PM

UTPlanner, I may have missed what this is on past pages, but what is State Street Plaza?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 8:54 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
UTPlanner, I may have missed what this is on past pages, but what is State Street Plaza?
I believe its the 10 Story apartment building with the Rex theater. This is great news.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 8:59 PM

SLC Projects, you are right, it is that project. It includes 180 residential units and 28,600 square feet of retail space. I know that there have been elevations shown but my lack of free time and skill do not allow me to bump them up, sorry.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 9:40 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

As I was driving by today, I noticed that they had a tree removal truck there and there were demoing the planter box so they could retrieve the tree out of the ground. I am glad to see that it is finally moving along, another piece adding resididensial density to the CBD.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 10:52 PM

Isn't that between 200 S and 300 S, not at 175 S?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 11:25 PM
They all float down here

Outdoor Retailer once again threatening to move from Salt Lake:

http://www.tsnn.com/news-blogs/maxed...-possible-move

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 11:42 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
Outdoor Retailer once again threatening to move from Salt Lake:

http://www.tsnn.com/news-blogs/maxed...-possible-move

I'm kind of glad they are making these threats. Maybe then it will get SLC to move even faster on getting that much needed 1000+ room hotel.
I still have high hopes that when we have the summer outdoor show this summer we will hear an announcement with a site and renderings.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 11:44 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
SLC Projects, you are right, it is that project. It includes 180 residential units and 28,600 square feet of retail space. I know that there have been elevations shown but my lack of free time and skill do not allow me to bump them up, sorry.

I have too much free time so I can help you out on that.

RDA state street plaza
http://www.slcrda.com/Second/Request_for_Proposals.htm
Proposed
Floors:10 & 7

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
Just thought people may be interested, the mixed-use project at 175 S. State Street, State Street Plaza has secured a building permit. I was by there today and it looked like they were prepping the area for demolition.
You must mean 275 S. State Street.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

I have too much free time so I can help you out on that.

RDA state street plaza
http://www.slcrda.com/Second/Request_for_Proposals.htm
Proposed
Floors:10 & 7
I believe we will be very disappointed in the "new" 10 story apartment building. It is a terrible design. It will look tacky and fake. There's not enough articulation in the design to make it look like a decent neo-historical design.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 2:11 AM

Ah, it was the address that threw me. Good! I love this proposal and can't wait for it to get going! Now that Main street is doing so good, lets revive State Street!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 3:29 PM

You are correct. I most certainly did mean 275 South State Street as opposed to 175 South State Street, good catch.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 7:45 PM
Let It Rise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

I'm kind of glad they are making these threats. Maybe then it will get SLC to move even faster on getting that much needed 1000+ room hotel.
I still have high hopes that when we have the summer outdoor show this summer we will hear an announcement with a site and renderings.
Everyone is hoping for a 1000 plus room hotel thinking it will be at least 40 stories tall or somewhere in that neighborhood. But the way they design and build "towers" in this city, we will get something that is spread out on one entire city block and only be ten stories tall. I'm sure they will knock down a whole city block just to build something as cool as that.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 8:08 PM
They all float down here

It's not just hotels. In fact, I'd wager the most pressing issue right now for the convention is the lack of space at the Salt Palace. So, I don't know what the city has planned in that regard. We could build a 1,000 room hotel, or at least announce development plans tomorrow, and it won't change much if they still feel the Salt Palace is inadequate for their growth.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
It's not just hotels. In fact, I'd wager the most pressing issue right now for the convention is the lack of space at the Salt Palace. So, I don't know what the city has planned in that regard. We could build a 1,000 room hotel, or at least announce development plans tomorrow, and it won't change much if they still feel the Salt Palace is inadequate for their growth.
Someone mentioned the idea of using the revamped fair grounds to host part of the convention as well back a few pages ago. While it is not in the exact same location, arguably it provides a better location to showcase outdoor stuff since there would be large open space outside, venues inside, and even a river close by for certain water demonstrations, not to mention an ampitheatre if they wanted to do group presentations. I like the idea...not sure if the convention would or not though.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 9:23 PM
They all float down here

I don't know if they'd go for that with so few upscale hotels being located around the fairgrounds.

The hope here is that the new convention hotel has enough convention space to placate the convention. But I don't know if it'd offer up enough space.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 3:45 AM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...shows.html.csp

Quote:
Future Outdoor Retailer shows not a lock for Salt Lake City

One of Utah’s largest conventions may go elsewhere when the Outdoor Retailer’s contract to stage summer and winter trade shows at the Salt Palace expires at the end of 2014 because the events are outgrowing the venue.

In January, a record 21,000 visitors filled hotels and restaurants to near capacity, and the Outdoor Retailer Summer Market draws thousands more participants — generating nearly $40 million in direct economic impact to Salt Lake City and the state annually.

"Salt Lake City has gone to great lengths to accommodate us, but the show is continuing to face challenges that are reflected in the fact that we must build outside structures to accommodate all our participants," said Outdoor Retailer spokeswoman Maura Lansford. "As people think about our future, we want them to understand that every city has advantages, as well has some hassles and challenges, that we’ll have to face."

Other locations under consideration are Denver, Las Vegas, Anaheim, Calif., and Orlando, Fla.

Quote:
"Expansion of the Salt Palace is not likely [this time], but several private entities are looking at developing a convention hotel," he said. "Right now, public entities are trying to figure out what if any role the public sector should play in making a convention hotel a reality."
I do hope that this means the chance at more than 1 hotel coming up soon to help draw this and other conventions that currently pass SLC by.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West