HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 2:21 PM

Heya guys where can I see saskatoon's future skyline ? I've seen somewhere but I can't find it again.. I think it was the skyline of 2028 years or 2018

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 5:16 PM
^^*^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgeous View Post
Heya guys where can I see saskatoon's future skyline ? I've seen somewhere but I can't find it again.. I think it was the skyline of 2028 years or 2018
Do you mean this one by any chance ?
BTW welcome to the forum.

Image By Greg Gebka found somewhere on the web.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook View Post
Does anyone know when or if Aeropostale is open yet in the mall?

Also, this is a curious question... Does Saskatoon have a "tornado siren" like a lot of US communities have in "tornado alley"? While we're not really in "tornado alley," we still can get destructive tornadoes this far north in the summer. I ask because in the last couple of days it was the one year anniversary of the F5 tornado that ripped through Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

I'm interested to see where the city's preparedness is for such an event.
Not likely. Saskatoon would have had air raid/nuclear attack-type sirens similar to those which Regina possessed. They would have been installed in about 1950. During 1990-91, Regina's 10 sirens were removed - immediately upon Russia's Perestroika and Glastnost. Suddenly, in the public eye, the East and West were 'friends!' Our cities would have somewhat outgrown the sirens' effective (and alarming) audible range anyway.

Really though - nothing has changed with the East's and West's military posture.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 5:57 PM

Hello! Long-time reader but decided to register to participate on the Saskatoon/Regina Construction.

I'll be relocating to Saskatoon from BC this May. I will do drawings for the curtainwall industry. Looks like I will be working on the glass cladding of the Saskatoon airport expansion. I hope I can contribute something useful in the near future.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 6:35 PM

Jerry , Thank you so much . Not that one btw i'm not canadian! I love canada

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 7:27 PM
^^*^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgeous View Post
Jerry , Thank you so much . Not that one btw i'm not canadian! I love canada
Gorgeous check out this link, it may be the one your thinking of. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-G2K1v6YqYC...skatchewan.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkal View Post
Hello! Long-time reader but decided to register to participate on the Saskatoon/Regina Construction.

I'll be relocating to Saskatoon from BC this May. I will do drawings for the curtainwall industry. Looks like I will be working on the glass cladding of the Saskatoon airport expansion. I hope I can contribute something useful in the near future.
Welcome to the forum and Saskatoon Azkal. Looking forward to any info or photos you can supply on the airport expansion.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Gorgeous check out this link, it may be the one your thinking of. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-G2K1v6YqYC...skatchewan.jpg

Welcome to the forum and Saskatoon Azkal. Looking forward to any info or photos you can supply on the airport expansion.
Thanks, Jerry. I'll contribute whatever I have in the future. For now, I'll post the rendering of the expansion. I took it off the YXE website.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 8:34 PM

Another angle, again from the YXE website.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 10:00 PM

Air Raid Sirens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Not likely. Saskatoon would have had air raid/nuclear attack-type sirens similar to those which Regina possessed. They would have been installed in about 1950. During 1990-91, Regina's 10 sirens were removed - immediately upon Russia's Perestroika and Glastnost. Suddenly, in the public eye, the East and West were 'friends!' Our cities would have somewhat outgrown the sirens' effective (and alarming) audible range anyway.

Really though - nothing has changed with the East's and West's military posture.
Ther was one at Broadway and Taylor. I think the other was around 29th and Ave E. They were tahen down in the late sixty's if my memory is still working right.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 10:12 PM
Forget it, Jake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkal View Post

A warm welcome to you, Azkal!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 7:21 AM

Jerry, hahah! exatly it is the picture i was looking for. Very nice city Thank you dude again lol...

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 7:23 AM

Such an awesome airport! :previous: Damn! I love Canada

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 3:41 PM

Lowes

Needed some building material Saturday. Between traffic in the north end and poor service, I'm really looking forward to Lowes in Blairmore.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 5:14 PM
ConstructionPete

YXE starting to look like a construction zone

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 12:51 AM
Registered Geek

Aeropastale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook View Post
Does anyone know when or if Aeropostale is open yet in the mall?

Also, this is a curious question... Does Saskatoon have a "tornado siren" like a lot of US communities have in "tornado alley"? While we're not really in "tornado alley," we still can get destructive tornadoes this far north in the summer. I ask because in the last couple of days it was the one year anniversary of the F5 tornado that ripped through Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

I'm interested to see where the city's preparedness is for such an event.
I was in Midtown Plaza yesterday and the hoarding is still up in front of the store... but the stores sign is up and illuminated just behind it. I would think that it won't be long now!! It was nice to see the mall coming alive with some new retailers. It gives a fresh look to an old place... it's looking good!!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Do you mean this one by any chance ?
BTW welcome to the forum.

Image By Greg Gebka found somewhere on the web.
Being an architectural technologist here in the city I would love to be working with the firm that would do something this large. However I think 50 stories might be 25-30 years away for this city.. It will happen just will take a while.

I would think Regina will get one before Saskatoon does. Regina's skyline is just more developed then Saskatoon's I mean wow it looks amazing!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
What's the purpose of this? Are they going to move this building?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
What's the purpose of this? Are they going to move this building?
I would say so man. Only real reason why they would remove all the soil under the fdn.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 11:18 AM
^^*^^

Net-zero house allows 'normal' lifestyle

By Rory MacLean, The StarPhoenix
April 30, 2012 2:08

A Saskatoon couple has achieved net-zero energy consumption in their home.

"It was kind of a proof of concept, and it ended up working," said 28-year-old Ryan Jansen, who works on alternative energy projects at the Saskatchewan Research Council.

"The goal was to live normally. We wanted to prove that people don't have to adjust the way they live. You can be net zero without having to commit to a big lifestyle change," said Jansen. [...]

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/techno...#ixzz1tWQQZqSz

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 3:04 PM

New Police HQ

Concrete sure has been going up for new police building. Caught a shot on my way to work this morning:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan