HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 1:28 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Well here we go...
(Obviously there's more going on but signs are always a good thing too)

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Well here we go...
(Obviously there's more going on but signs are always a good thing too)

Boing!!!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 3:14 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Excellent, let's build out the Union Station area ASAP so we can get back to the rest of the city!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 10:50 AM
Couch-surfing provider

Exactly, Brent! Get Union Station up and running so the focus can be on other areas, perhaps finally Arapahoe Square?

Aaron (Glowrock)
"The three most beautiful cities in the world are Paris, St. Petersburg & Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it." The New Yorker Jan. 9, 1989

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavian View Post
BTW, found a rendering (sorta) for this.

This is a pretty high profile location, do we not have any other news on this one?

http://www.globest.com/news/12_339/d...ty-321012.html
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 7:20 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Rds had a post on it back in December. http://www.denver-cityscape.com/

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Rds had a post on it back in December. http://www.denver-cityscape.com/
Should have known he would have it, thanks! Was searching for Broadstone, but couldn't find much under that name.

Posted 12/10/2011 FYI on RDS's site for anyone interested
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 7:56 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I only remember because that was the building that spurred our discussion on half block monolith buildings, whether we should have requirements for breaking up facades, etc.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 3:08 AM
mmmm... infillicious!

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 4:04 AM

Now that 23rd and walnut is bend developed as Well as 22nd and Blake, there will actually be very few lots left that are open for future construction in the Ballpark neighborhood. In fact, the last eyesore remaining will be the corner of Blake and 20th, which for all intents and purposes, would seem to be the most marketable piece of property of the bunch.

What will likely get built there? Apartments? Retail or restaurants? It'll be a heavily scrutinized project wherever it becomes..

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzdude View Post
Now that 23rd and walnut is bend developed as Well as 22nd and Blake, there will actually be very few lots left that are open for future construction in the Ballpark neighborhood. In fact, the last eyesore remaining will be the corner of Blake and 20th, which for all intents and purposes, would seem to be the most marketable piece of property of the bunch.

What will likely get built there? Apartments? Retail or restaurants? It'll be a heavily scrutinized project wherever it becomes..
Also the huge lot between 19th & 20th/Wazee. It would be a great spot for an urban park (with parking underground). You're right that the most marketable vacant lot is one of the last ones left at 20th & Blake. Hopefully it has some retail/restaurant space unlike the proposed apartments at 22nd & Blake.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 5:56 AM

Quote:
In fact, the last eyesore remaining will be the corner of Blake and 20th, which for all intents and purposes, would seem to be the most marketable piece of property of the bunch.

I remember reading somewhere about a hotel/apartment proposal for 20th & Blake. Anyone have any other information?

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
Ask and we shall receive Thanks Ken!

Does anyone have a count so far on how many units the approved and proposed developments will be adding to downtown?

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 2:23 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I added up all the rental units that I've seen posted/discussed since January (u/c or close) and the number was 4,100.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 2:47 PM

The "camping ban" bill passed last night.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...public-hearing

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 3:44 PM

Quote:
The "camping ban" bill passed last night.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...public-hearing
This is a step in the right direction....the CBD/LODO/South Platte area has rapidly turned into one big toilet over the last few years. Will this actually help the problem? I have my doubts, but at least it gets people talking about the problem.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 4:14 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Sure it'll "help," depending on how you define help. Either the police ignore it and nothing changes (in this instance, "help" would be defined as "people talking about it," I suppose). Or they do enforce it, and our jails fill up very quickly (the biggest shelters we have!). Because it isn't as if we have enough shelter beds to go around.

I view this ordinance as stupid and pointless. It's a non-solution to a very real problem. But it sure sounds good. Big round of applause for the Council succumbing to pressure without actually coming up with any ideas that will help. Bravo.

Yet another example of governing American-style. All talk, plenty of bickering, probably more money spent, and still no solution.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 4:28 PM

You appear to be assuming that these people WANT beds in facilities? Per the article in the Denver Post on Sunday there appeared to be a number of these homeless that CHOOSE to live on the 16th street mall and refuse/deny any services that are offered to them. How would this be any different from me setting up a tent or just plopping down my stuff on some guys yard in Highlands Ranch? Is it not trespassing in both instances?

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 4:34 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverfrontbrewer View Post
You appear to be assuming that these people WANT beds in facilities? Per the article in the Denver Post on Sunday there appeared to be a number of these homeless that CHOOSE to live on the 16th street mall and refuse/deny any services that are offered to them. How would this be any different from me setting up a tent or just plopping down my stuff on some guys yard in Highlands Ranch? Is it not trespassing in both instances?
I won't even entertain that with a response. Trespassing on public land is simply not the same thing. There is no such thing as trespassing on a public sidewalk. It's sort of like stealing air.

I think you misunderstand me, I'm not opposed to the ordinance. I am opposed to the ordinance before we have the means to actually enforce it.

And I am sure there are plenty of people who do not want to go to a shelter, and by all means, they should be directed to services and required to accept them.

But that doesn't change the fact that there are not enough beds for everyone who needs them. So now the city is in the position of either ignoring its own laws - which is never a good idea, leads to inconsistent enforcement, and therefore, inevitably, lawsuits - or enforcing it and locking folks up when there is no alternative.

That's simply math. If you don't have a home, your options are two: 1. sleep outside, 2. sleep inside. If there's no place willing or able to accept you inside, then you only have option 1, sleep outside.

Which leave the city exactly two options: 1. ignore you, 2. pick you up. And like I said, neither is a good option for the city.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 4:38 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I think what my inner-lawyer (or undoubtedly someone else's inner-lawyer - probably the ACLU's) is going to do now is wander around downtown for a month or two, chatting up homeless folks, and start keeping an eye on who gets picked up and who doesn't. Where the city enforces the law, and where it doesn't. And at the slightest inkling of inconsistent, discriminatory, or other illegal enforcement practices, which seem almost inevitable, considering the impossibility of enforcing the law in its entirety, I am going to sue the bajesus out of the city. Why? Not because I particularly care, but rather because the city needs to be held accountable.

Granted, it won't help get more beds in the city if money that could be going to social services gets diverted to legal. But hey, the city chose to put the cart in front of the horse.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West