HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 3:10 PM

KLM's newest bird (A330-300s) starting YYC service on weekends from 07 Jul for summer season. (51 more seats increase overall)

KLM put A330-300's to service in March 2012.

Source:airlineroute.net

http://airlineroute.net/2012/05/04/kl-s12update7/

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 4:13 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

That is good news, KLM continuing to show a strong commitment to YYC. Too bad we didn't get the MD-11 again for the summer though.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Too bad we didn't get the MD-11 again for the summer though.
In getting the 330-300 we got the new MD-11. MD-11 are being phased out and replaced with 333 and 772/3.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 5:07 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
In getting the 330-300 we got the new MD-11. MD-11 are being phased out and replaced with 333 and 772/3.
I get that, but it was very cool to see some of the last passenger operated MD-11's here last summer.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 6:01 PM

Quote:
I get that, but it was very cool to see some of the last passenger operated MD-11's here last summer.
Yes, it was very cool. I got to fly it 4 times last summer with KLM. Very comfortable aircraft and excellent service from KLM.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 8:51 PM
Sand kicking airport guy.

The MD-11 is a great aircraft to fly on. Many crews however dreaded handling them in high wind conditions on landing... Apparently something to do with having about 30% less stabilizer than its predecessor the DC-10. Many MD-11 crews described it as a tricky bird to handle in strong winds.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 9:18 PM

Not really on topic, but I think the all time favorite I ever flew on was an L-1011. It was even a Delta flight. If you can enjoy a Delta flight, it's an amazing aircraft.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 9:25 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I love the L-1011, had many flights on them with Air Canada when I was younger.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I get the coolness factor, but eye candy aside seeing the MD11 last summer brought a pit of dispair into my stomach.

I have a bit of a hate on for the MD11, DC10, and L1011. The economics of these aircraft stunk. They stunk so bad that poor business decisions often followed their introduction on a specific route. For example, in the early 90s Hollis Harris brought a few L1011s out from the desert and got them flying on cheaper runs to florida and California plus a couple of European summer expansion runs (yvr-cdg comes to mind). From a flight/route profitability perspective everytime the L1011 was used it depressed profitability to the point where the flights were cancelled. Now put a 762 or 763 on the same route and it would have been license to print money.

Several years later when AC took over CP, the DC10s were ordered out of the fleet ASAP. AC took very expensive short term 763 leases to get equivalent aircraft that could fly the missions. Even with expensive lease and a lot fewer seats, getting rid of the DC10 made economic sense.

So why the pit in my stomach and my happy dance the MD11 is off the YYC-AMS route? I fear that KLM route controllers will come to the same conclusion with the MD11 as what came to the DC10 and L1011. Putting the MD11 on last year meant that KLM didn;t care about YYC and only put them on the route to soak up extra available capacity. If oil prices spiked, KLM could have easily ordered the top 10 route loss makers off the schedule and YYCers would lose out.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 6:52 AM
G'day

Damn trumped again! Saw the news tidbit on airlinersroute but saw it had already been posted.. I need to be more proactive. I think I have a slight timezone advantage as most if his postings come through between 6pm and 9pm my time which is 2am - 5am YYC time. This is a good source of info and gives me about 1/3 of my scoops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
I get the coolness factor, but eye candy aside seeing the MD11 last summer brought a pit of dispair into my stomach.
The YVR-CDG route was actually never an L10 or an L15. Only 762.

I hear you about the economics, but the aesthetic aspect still plays selfish with me. The MD11 is a truly beautiful plane. So getting to see it over the years was a bonus. One of the few types of planes I haven't flown on ever.

I also hear you about the timing of the MD11. Perhaps that was a sign that they were considering pulling YYC. However, the MD11 remained on the YVR route for quite some time. Although YVR is now going to be the new 777-200ER.

I reckon the LH decision to pull YYC had something to do with KLM's increase in capacity to YYC. Upguaging to the 333 twice a week also shows they must be confident in YYC.

Although Europe capacity will still be significantly lower than 2 years ago, I think capacity appears to be really balanced now.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 4:21 PM
Master and Commander

Capacity seems proper with a city oursize so I have no complaints on the latest news. Although it seems proper now I hope that within a few years it will get back to growth mode again now that our city's economy seems to be picking up where it left off in 2008.
I would still love to see an asian airline do a direct link to our city to complement the AC year round Japan flights.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 1:32 AM
Look up, Waaaaaay up

Hey, I don't visit this thread too much and I have a question.

(I assume) they are imploding the old tower at YYC, once the new one is up and running.

My photos on Ipernity

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 2:08 AM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

The airport authority did say it would be demolished, not sure on how they plan to take it down yet.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 1:23 AM
G'day

Cayo Coco

Looking ahead at winter 2012-2013... looks like Sunwing is going to launch 1 weekly YEG-YYC-CCC on Sundays.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 6:31 PM
not a NIMBY

A documentary by Larry Day called Flight Plan: YYC on Saturday at 7 pm on CTV 2 about the airport expansion - Calgary's biggest construction project ever.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 11:17 PM
Da RayDar Guy

^I have it set to record. Looking forward to it. Hopefully it's a quality program.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 1:49 PM

KLM further revises Amsterdam – Calgary Service. Now operates 5 weekly in W12, increases from 4 in W11. This is further to the weekend equipment change in summer 2012 from A332 to A333.

Source: Airlineroute.net

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 3:17 PM

Nice. Can't wait for new metal to start flooding the market. By the end of the decade hopefully even without outsized demand growth there will be a lot more competition, with smaller operators being able to pick up A333s and B763s on the secondary market.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 6:38 PM
Da RayDar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryLankan View Post
KLM further revises Amsterdam – Calgary Service. Now operates 5 weekly in W12, increases from 4 in W11. This is further to the weekend equipment change in summer 2012 from A332 to A333.

Source: Airlineroute.net
I figure KLM may have gotten the biggest boost in bums-in-seats with LH's withdrawal because their flight times were the most similar. Additionally, I think that as more YYC'ers fly through EHAM, they'll start to recognize it as a premier facility rarely plagued with any delays (unlike the other notable European hubs you can get to from YYC). It's very nice. (and the city itself isn't so bad )

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 7:07 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyeg66 View Post
... I think that as more YYC'ers fly through EHAM, they'll start to recognize it as a premier facility rarely plagued with any delays (unlike the other notable European hubs you can get to from YYC)..
So true ... plus it's the only airport I know that I can get my raw herring fix ... mmmmmm. Only downside is if you have to land on Polderbahn, then it feels like you've driven half the way!

On a side note, whether the numbers show it or not, but in the last 6 months the flights from YYC to Europe certainly feel fuller. I've done the haul 5 times and seen very few empty seats. Good news for some.

Do something about your future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure