HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 7:24 AM

Denver is listed as #2 on the American cities making a comeback. Though I thought our population increase was greater than that..

http://money.msn.com/investing/americas-comeback-cities

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzdude View Post
Denver is listed as #2 on the American cities making a comeback. Though I thought our population increase was greater than that..

http://money.msn.com/investing/americas-comeback-cities
I think we're still fighting the effects of gentrification in the inner city in terms of overall population numbers. As more "traditional" families are settling in the center city neighborhoods, the poorer families with many people living under one roof are leaving for more immediate suburbs (Aurora seems to be a popular destination right now).

I suspect that's really depressing overall growth numbers.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 2:43 PM

Denver county went up from 554,636 in 2000 to 600,158 in 2010 according to the census.

If you go by the estimates fro the Colorado DOLA, then here is the breakdown since 2000:

2000 - 556,738
2001 - 563,300
2002 - 559,090
2003 - 560,348
2004 - 560,230
2005 - 559,459
2006 - 562,862
2007 - 570,437
2008 - 581,903
2009 - 595,573
2010 - 605,722

So I'm not sure why the IRS numbers would vary so much, I mean Denver didn't even drop as much as that report says in 2005 either, and has gone up significantly more.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 3:52 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

More importantly, why is Forbes cherry picking a 2005 number to create a story about "comebacks" when they have real 2010 Census numbers to work with now? If you want to have a story about urban comebacks, why not use the numbers everyone else uses with the same 10-year increments. Comparing a 1-year change in 2005 to a 1-year change in 2010 seems completely arbitrary. Not to mention, 1-year numbers could be skewed by any number of factors that don't really represent statistical trends and may very well vanish over a multi-year window. Just an odd methodology.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 5:28 PM
Couch-surfing provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
More importantly, why is Forbes cherry picking a 2005 number to create a story about "comebacks" when they have real 2010 Census numbers to work with now? If you want to have a story about urban comebacks, why not use the numbers everyone else uses with the same 10-year increments. Comparing a 1-year change in 2005 to a 1-year change in 2010 seems completely arbitrary. Not to mention, 1-year numbers could be skewed by any number of factors that don't really represent statistical trends and may very well vanish over a multi-year window. Just an odd methodology.
Pretty much SOP for the idiots who write these stupid lists for Forbes... You'd think the publisher would actually start to ensure some level of reason and actual investigation go into these lists, but alas they do not.

Aaron (Glowrock)
"The three most beautiful cities in the world are Paris, St. Petersburg & Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it." The New Yorker Jan. 9, 1989

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek.berardi View Post
Anybody on 19th and Logan? I guess that was the bigger question and pizza chat was bonus. Just very anxious to hear about a ground breaking or something on that site.
I walked by there earlier today and it looks like the parking lot may be closed(other than the small section for Las Delicias), which wasn't the case earlier this week. Must be getting close to starting.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 5:01 AM

Trader Joe's confirms they will be opening their first Denver store at 8th & Colorado.

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/ne...nver-site.html

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Trader Joe's confirms they will be opening their first Denver store at 8th & Colorado.

meh

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Pretty much SOP for the idiots who write these stupid lists for Forbes... You'd think the publisher would actually start to ensure some level of reason and actual investigation go into these lists, but alas they do not.

Aaron (Glowrock)
Forbes hires and fires employees based upon positive spin, particularly over- say a 1 year period.

Forbes is the People Magazine for the aspiring middle class. The upper class only looks at Forbes when waiting for a dentist appointment.

In post desegregation US growth patterns, where central cities tended to quit growing in area, and, most growth occurred in the 'suburbs', central cities are an ever smaller part of metro populations.

Most growth, IMO, still is in 'suburbs'. Unlike prior to about 2005, however, this growth is increasingly multi-unit and on smaller land foot prints.

Maybe new criteria need to be developed to measure growth, where density increase or decrease is mapped over metro wide areas. Base the mapping on how many people live in houses, as well as in the physical footprint, etc.

In this case, IMO, parts of metro Denver outside the City and County of Denver, such as East Lakewood, Englewood, Old Town Arvada, Central Boulder,
Old Town Littleton, etc., will show population growth.

Denver City has about 20-24% of metro Denver's population (depending on how the figure is determined), and, IMO, has far less than 20-24% of the population growth of the metro area.

So, while romantic urbanists like to view Denver, St. Louis, etc., seperate from their surrounding populations, the resulting population figures mean little.

Time to start thinking differently

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post

It's nice to see more grocery competition. It is also good news for all the TJ fans. I wonder if it will just be a one-story store and parking lot. If so, a pretty poor under usage of that site which was originally cleared for a hotel. I guess they can just scrape it later when they need more density.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 7:17 PM

Residential on Ogden

Hey guys,

I rode my bike past Ogden and 12th street yesterday to see the residential building that's going up there. It seems to be moving ahead pretty quickly. I apologize for not having many details on the project. I did originally see the building plans and specs, but that is buried somewhere deep in the interwebs and I am too lazy on a Sunday to go searching for it.

However, there was a demo of the materials set up and it looks like this is will be a quality project. No stucco!!!!! Or at least I hope not. The windows seem to add a good bit of character to the building, too. Enjoy the pictures and feel free to throw in any further info you have to add on the project.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek.berardi View Post
Hey guys,

I rode my bike past Ogden and 12th street yesterday to see the residential building that's going up there. It seems to be moving ahead pretty quickly. I apologize for not having many details on the project. I did originally see the building plans and specs, but that is buried somewhere deep in the interwebs and I am too lazy on a Sunday to go searching for it.

However, there was a demo of the materials set up and it looks like this is will be a quality project. No stucco!!!!! Or at least I hope not. The windows seem to add a good bit of character to the building, too. Enjoy the pictures and feel free to throw in any further info you have to add on the project.
Hey Derek, no news on this one...didn't have any idea about it. But theres another multifamily project at the corner of Ellsworth and Corona. I spotted it the other day. Looks like there was a single family home there before.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 2:42 PM

It looks like the Cadence Apartments will be under construction shortly. There was GE Johnson construction equipment on the site this morning.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
It looks like the Cadence Apartments will be under construction shortly. There was GE Johnson construction equipment on the site this morning.
That's good to hear. Real happy to start seeing some vertical construction in the Union Station neighborhood

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 3:43 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

^ I'm having coffee with the developer tomorrow, and will probably be doing a follow-up blog on it.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAM View Post
It's nice to see more grocery competition. It is also good news for all the TJ fans. I wonder if it will just be a one-story store and parking lot. If so, a pretty poor under usage of that site which was originally cleared for a hotel. I guess they can just scrape it later when they need more density.
Is that the empty lot on CO Blvd? Or is there an existing building they'll use? I forgot which cross street has the empty lot.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 5:35 PM

Denargo Market Phase I will consist of 3 buildings with 100 units each. It will have a 5 story parking garage between buildings A & B. All three buildings will be 4 stories tall with the first floor dedicated to retail.

I can't tell you what the rest will look like since that's all I could decipher from the plans I had privy to at the GC's job trailer.

Also: There will be town houses between phase I and 'Denargo Market Street'

That is all.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 7:11 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by COtoOC View Post
Is that the empty lot on CO Blvd? Or is there an existing building they'll use? I forgot which cross street has the empty lot.
SE corner at 8th and Colorado.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COtoOC View Post
Yup its the empty lot where Annies used to be.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 2:27 AM

Woohoo

Has anyone seen RDS' website????

5/8/12 - Columbia Group Limited, a local development company, is planning a small, but important infill project at 15th and Market Streets. The proposed 1500 Market building would replace a surface parking lot currently occupying the site. The 5 story project is proposed to include 40,000 square feet of office space and 10,000 square feet of retail. This proposal, combined with Sage Hospitality's office and residential project at 16th and Market Streets (see the 4/5/12 entry below), will bring this now morbid block face back to life. Here is a rendering of the project:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West