HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhomeDenver View Post
Has anyone seen RDS' website????

5/8/12 - Columbia Group Limited, a local development company, is planning a small, but important infill project at 15th and Market Streets. The proposed 1500 Market building would replace a surface parking lot currently occupying the site. The 5 story project is proposed to include 40,000 square feet of office space and 10,000 square feet of retail. This proposal, combined with Sage Hospitality's office and residential project at 16th and Market Streets (see the 4/5/12 entry below), will bring this now morbid block face back to life. Here is a rendering of the project:
Surface parking lot? At 15th and Market?

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Has anyone seen RDS' website????

5/8/12 - Columbia Group Limited, a local development company, is planning a small, but important infill project at 15th and Market Streets. The proposed 1500 Market building would replace a surface parking lot currently occupying the site. The 5 story project is proposed to include 40,000 square feet of office space and 10,000 square feet of retail. This proposal, combined with Sage Hospitality's office and residential project at 16th and Market Streets (see the 4/5/12 entry below), will bring this now morbid block face back to life. Here is a rendering of the project:

This is great news. There are so many small properties in LoDo that are seemingly too small to support redevelopment. Most of the infill centers on full block or half block parcels. Glad to see a project like this.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 4:00 AM
Urban Living

homma momma...thats pretty nice, especially on a tiny lot....no parking i think?

is this part of Lodo (officially)?

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 5:16 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Yeah I think that's just a massing model basically. Design is obviously yet to come. It is in LoDo.

Not sure about parking, was wondering myself.

These tiny lots, I wonder if that might be the rare case where a variance could be warranted. Has anybody ever seen a variance from parking requirements granted in the area? It really does seem like a heavy burden on a 50x125 lot, especially if it's otherwise zoned and appropriate for development that would, all other things being equal, require two or three dozen parking spaces.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 6:32 AM

Found something interesting about this tower. What do you think about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGM8RWcXvkE

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek.berardi View Post
Hey guys,

I rode my bike past Ogden and 12th street yesterday to see the residential building that's going up there. It seems to be moving ahead pretty quickly. I apologize for not having many details on the project. I did originally see the building plans and specs, but that is buried somewhere deep in the interwebs and I am too lazy on a Sunday to go searching for it.

However, there was a demo of the materials set up and it looks like this is will be a quality project. No stucco!!!!! Or at least I hope not. The windows seem to add a good bit of character to the building, too. Enjoy the pictures and feel free to throw in any further info you have to add on the project.
Ugh, I have mixed feelings on this project. I moved out of the 'hood less than a year ago and had no idea that it was happening. Are there other site being redeveloped in the area?

That was one of the oldest houses left in Capitol Hill and it appeared to be in great shape. Surprising that it would have lasted so long, though, considering that it's surrounded by apartment buildings dating from the '30s to the '70s...at least it's being replaced by something that looks like it might be decent.

Hopefully the Ukrainian Orthodox church across the street holds on for a while. Those two places give (gave) that block a lot of character.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 4:25 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

This is related to our earlier discussion on the camping ban, and the progress being made by the Denver's Road Home initiative:

Quote:
Metro Denver homeless numbers grow in annual count
Posted: 05/08/2012 01:00:00 AM MDT
By Jeremy P. Meyer
The Denver Post

The Denver area has more homeless people, more homeless families and more unsheltered homeless people than last year, according to the 2012 Point-in-Time Study, released Monday.

A total of 12,605 homeless people were counted in the survey of the region's homeless Jan. 23 — a survey that occurs on one night in January every year.

Nearly 1,000 people were unsheltered that night; 600 respondents said domestic violence was the reason for their homelessness, and 3,239 people were considered "newly homeless."

The study's release comes a week before the Denver City Council's final vote on an ordinance to ban unauthorized camping — a measure targeting the growing numbers of homeless in downtown Denver.

http://www.denverpost.com/politics/c...#ixzz1uISQ7Rtw

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 4:38 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

A good quote from the article:
Quote:
Bennie Milliner, director of Denver's Road Home, said he is concerned about the rising numbers of unsheltered homeless. On the night of the count, Denver's shelters had room, according to Human Services."I wonder where they were and what types of outreach do we need to make," he said. "Because that number is too big for our outreach not to serve."
If a homeless person prefers to spend the night out on the street because they don't want to adhere to the temporary shelters' regulations do we even include them in the unsheltered category?

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 4:48 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Well, that's what the camping ban is for. EDIT: What are the shelter rules that folks object to? I assume a big one would be pets. Which is tough, because if I lived on the streets (even for a single night), I'd want a dog too.

Odd, really. According to that article, it seems like the number of homeless in the region exceeds total beds available. But even then, not every bed was full. So we need outreach efforts, obviously. But then we're going to outreach ourselves into a capacity problem, and need more beds.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 4:57 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Well, that's what the camping ban is for. EDIT: What are the shelter rules that folks object to? I assume a big one would be pets. Which is tough, because if I lived on the streets (even for a single night), I'd want a dog too.
You're missing the obvious ones: alcohol consumption, drug use, and human interaction, i.e. fighting.

Odd, really. According to that article, it seems like the number of homeless in the region exceeds total beds available. But even then, not every bed was full. So we need outreach efforts, obviously. But then we're going to outreach ourselves into a capacity problem, and need more beds.[/QUOTE]

The article also shows that the other metro counties need to start pulling more of their weight in regards to providing temporary shelter. People have gravitated towards Denver for the reasons of the shelters being here and an urban environment that makes for easier (totally the wrong word to use in this context) homeless living, but other counties need to start providing some sort of service beyond the bare bones. An additional 100 beds in each county would nearly eliminate the shelter gap.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 5:27 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
The article also shows that the other metro counties need to start pulling more of their weight in regards to providing temporary shelter. People have gravitated towards Denver for the reasons of the shelters being here and an urban environment that makes for easier (totally the wrong word to use in this context) homeless living, but other counties need to start providing some sort of service beyond the bare bones. An additional 100 beds in each county would nearly eliminate the shelter gap.
True, but I am a pragmatist, and that's just not going to happen. If Denver wanted to start a Road Home initiative, surely we knew we needed to include all of the homeless in the region because, as you said, they'll find their way to Denver eventually. If we didn't want to provide services to the whole region, we needed one of those much-touted regional solutions. As it is now, nobody outside Denver has any incentive to do anything. So the numbers stand, and we need to figure it out.

I'm not sure what to do about drugs and alcohol... Ongoing mental health services we need. Shelters we need... but addiction/substance abuse problems that can't be solved in a day, I don't know. When somebody needs shelter that night, the immediate obvious solution seems to be jail. The quickest way to sober somebody up, I'd think.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 7:15 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Regarding this Coresite data center proposed for 19th and Arapahoe that RDS mentioned. Ummm, it looks like their data centers average around 250K sq ft or so.

That's a good sized building taking out another eyesore of a lot.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverPoke View Post
I walked by there earlier today and it looks like the parking lot may be closed(other than the small section for Las Delicias), which wasn't the case earlier this week. Must be getting close to starting.
I was on my way to a dentist appointment so I rode my bike over there this morning. It does look like "most" of the parking lot is now inaccesible. There were no cars parked inside the lot except for Las Delicias and there was only one way to get in and out on the west side of the block along Logan. Fingers are crossed!

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Regarding this Coresite data center proposed for 19th and Arapahoe that RDS mentioned. Ummm, it looks like their data centers average around 250K sq ft or so.

That's a good sized building taking out another eyesore of a lot.
Damn how many stories do we reckon that could possibly be? 3 or 4?

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 7:24 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

If they take the entire remaining part of the block, that's a 50k SF footprint, so 5 stories or so, assuming a total of 250k SF.

If they only build on one side of the alley, cut that in half, so 10 stories assuming a total of 250k SF.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 7:25 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

By the way, new renderings of 19th and Logan at the blog.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 7:25 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Damn how many stories do we reckon that could possibly be? 3 or 4?
Go taller, at least 5, probably more. Coresite is also HQ'd in DT Denver which does necessitate the question of whether they are also planning to put office space into the facility.

Last edited by wong21fr; May 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Go taller, at least 5, probably more.
Thanks guys, in either way, I will take it.

DenverInfill nice blog entry. LOL, like the parkinglotectomy!!

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 8:01 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

"One City Block," I love the name, haha.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 8:04 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
"One City Block," I love the name, haha.
Fortunately this is one project where people won't be using the generic name of the entire project to describe where they live. It will be, "I live in the Congress on 19th" or "I'm in the Congress on Penn". Which is a lot better than saying, "I live at One City Block".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West