HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 7:17 AM
Yank in Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk1519 View Post
What a great new civic gem Not only does it blow my mind how soccer is finally beginning to infiltrate American society, but this is an excellent new stadium in a great city. I look forward to Houston continuing to flourish.

BUILD IT. BUILD EVERYTHING. BUILD IT ALL.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 8:11 PM

More from Dynamo's Facebook.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 7:37 PM
Poppity Pop Pop Pop!

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/m...ouches-on.html

Several Photos: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/m...=image_gallery

Quote:
Dynamo puts finishing touches on downtown stadium
Houston Business Journal by Greg Barr, Managing Editor
Date: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 6:35am CDT

The Houston Dynamo on Monday unveiled the finished suites and locker rooms at the new BBVA Compass Stadium, with only minor details still left to tidy up before the first home game on May 12.

The downtown stadium, on a 12-acre site near U.S. Highway 59 and Minute Maid Park, includes 33 suites in the lower bowl located less than 10 rows from the playing field. David Tagliarino, the team's senior vice president, said that only three suites have yet to be sold. Two separate party suites have been built in the stadium's southeast corner.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 2:58 PM

Stadium opens on this Saturday for a game between Houston and DC live on the NBC Sports Network at 4:30pm eastern.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 11:57 PM
Poppity Pop Pop Pop!

There was a good piece in The Guardian ahead of the home opener regarding the new stadium as well as the overall impact of MLS locally, as well as across the nation.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/09/houston-dynamo-bbva-compass-stadium-mls?newsfeed=true
Quote:
Houston Dynamo have a new home as MLS puts down its roots

Houston Dynamo will play its first game in the new BBVA Compass Stadium on Saturday, signalling the end of a journey that has taken in San Jose, a couple of MLS Cups, and a long term rental. It is a sign too of MLS's journey

Tom Dart in Houston
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 9 May 2012 09.00 EDT Comments (47)

Houston Dynamo's new BBVA Compass Stadium is only half-a-mile from the middle of downtown and is very orange. Photograph: Anthony Vasser/Houston Dynamo

Beckham has been good, but let us give credit to bricks. Construction is more vital than celebrity to Major League Soccer's growth and a reminder comes on Saturday afternoon as Houston Dynamo hosts DC United in the league's newest mansion.

When Montreal Impact moves into its renovated Saputo Stadium this summer, fifteen of MLS' nineteen teams will be playing in stadiums built or renovated for soccer since 1999, when the curtain came up on Columbus Crew Stadium.

In excess of $1.7 billion has been spent on these arenas, mostly through public-private funding partnerships. The Dynamo's home, a $95 million project with a 22,000 capacity, will be the third-largest soccer-specific venue and the most central.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 3:12 AM

Some final pics from just before opening and of the opening game...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=6514

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5631149&type=3

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 9:05 PM
Seeker of the Truth

I havn't been to Houston in a while, but I'll be moving there with family at the end of the month. Is the area around this stadium still horribly underdeveloped? I seem to remember Houstons south side as being mostly fields and older low rises.

VISIT IT!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development