HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 10:36 PM

Welcome to the thread Don Ray!
Your photograph is very interesting, especially with your description. We'd be honored if you share more of your photos with us.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 11:02 PM

More Aerials from 1978

I wasn't an L.A. Police officer --- I was doing a ride-along as a journalist. I believe I was living in Bunker Hill Towers at the time. I had just left my job with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, which had its Los Angeles Division Headquarters on the second floor of the One Bunker Hill (Edison) Building. I'm pretty sure I shot these using Kodak Tri-X 400 ASA film on a Minolta 35mm SLR. This image shows Bunker Hill Towers on the nearly vacant Bunker Hill.

This shot of the old Edison Building shows the foot bridge that connected to the parking garage. You'll also notice the Grand Central Garage that was at 5th and Grand, directly kitty corner from the L.A. Main Library campus.

These two ads are courtesy of the Automobile Club of Southern California. They are from Touring Topics Magazine (later Westways) and are from their archives at their headquarters on South Figueroa Street.

The intersection of 3rd and Flower is at the bottom of the photo. Figueroa heads north on the left side of the shot. The tall building was then the Security Pacific Bank Building. The three similar buildings are Bunker Hill Towers. You can see the L.A. County Health Department on the left on Figueroa and the Department of Water and Power Building at the top.

Looking north at the intersection of Alameda and Macy (Now Cesar Chavez). I used to work at the Terminal Annex Post Office pictured here. The parking ramps for Union Station are at the bottom of the photo.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Welcome to the thread Don Ray!
Your photograph is very interesting, especially with your description. We'd be honored if you share more of your photos with us.
Thanks, etherial_reality. I feel a bit safer now. Do you know if there's anyway to post photos directly? I'm guessing that links are better because they don't take up space. I'm excited as I think about other stuff I have to share. Again, thanks very much!

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 12:44 AM

Leave it to Gaylord_Wilshire to find something I've never heard of before!
I was completely unaware of Frolich's Tower of Legends at Forest Lawn in Glendale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

There are at least four ways to spell Finn's surname--apparently Forest Lawn, where he's buried, spells it "Frolick".... Anyway, Frolich/Froelich/Frohlich/Frolick added more than his remains to the cemetery. Besides his sculptures for Richfield, there was his Tower of Legends at Forest Lawn, which disguised a water tower and lasted from 1924 into the '40s (Finn himself expired in 1947). It is shown above at two Easter sunrise services, the second while still under construction (I love the futuristic spherical pods servings as forms or carving shelters over two of the monument's sculptures).

G_W, it turns out the spherical 'carving shelters' are actually part of Frolich's original design (see below).

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search...hit-m2254.html

It takes balls (pun intended) for an architect to place two globes at the base of a tower.
Also notice the two 'No Admittance' signs...one on the steps. So why build the steps?

___

I also wanted to comment that the Tower of Legends looks much better without the cross on top.

originally posted by G_W

My subsequent research leads me to believe the cross was an Easter thing. More times than not the tower is shown without anything on top.

below: One exception is this postcard showing a Star atop Frolich's tower (the star looks cheesy too).

ebay

_____

Arguably the most famous structure at Forest Lawn is Wee Kirk O' the Heather. Many famous people have laid in state this charming little chapel.

http://dearmrgable.com/?p=2550

below: Here's a very early view of Wee Kirk O' the Heather with a barren hillside.

ebay

below: Here's the same view with newly planted trees. A small portion of Frolich's tower can be seen atop the hill.

postcard

below: Wee Kirk O' the Heather and the Tower of Legends.

postcard/ebay

below: Another view of the two Forest Lawn landmarks.

postcard/ebay

below: One last view of Frolich's Tower of Legends. I think it's cool that it's real purpose was to hide a water tower.

ebay

Thanks again for sparking my curiosity G_W! You're the best.

____

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 13, 2012 at 1:40 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donraymedia View Post
Thanks, ethereal_reality. I feel a bit safer now. Do you know if there's anyway to post photos directly? I'm guessing that links are better because they don't take up space. I'm excited as I think about other stuff I have to share. Again, thanks very much!
Don, the only way to post a photo on skyscraperpage is through a photo hosting site (imageshack, flickr, ink frog, etc.)

I have one comment. I wish you would post your photos LARGER. Would that be possible?
To me, the bigger the better...that way we can search for little details.

Again, thanks for sharing your one of a kind photographs!

bruce barr lafayette (ethereal_reality)

___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 13, 2012 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 7:28 AM
You can call me David

Strange and Secretive Montecito Heights, just North of Downtown

Montecito Heights is a unusual, little known part of town, northeast of downtown L.A. My wife and I explored this area once last year, and returned yesterday to see it again and see some roads that we had missed last time. We began near the northern terminus of Broadway at Mission Road, indicated by the red arrow and continued in essentially a straight line, trekking across the grain of the land and ending up near the bend in Griffin Ave.

A steep old concrete stairway, cracked and coming apart, ascends the lower part of the hill. There are old remains and rubble on the hill, and what might be the foundation of a long lost house.

The stairway ends abruptly, then it's a scramble up the hill. Up near the top there are some even older wooden stairs that lead up to Meltzer Drive.

We followed Meltzer (the last paved road we'd see for a while) a short distance, then began climbing another hill, up towards Paradise Road. About half way up, at an excellent view spot, there's an odd little resting place with a bench and the remains of what looks like an old spa or grotto. (I wish I'd taken a picture of it.) At the top of the hill, we reached Paradise Road. This is a long winding road with a few scattered homes, all with excellent views. Most of the residents are Latino, most of the homes are fenced, and most have several dogs. The lower parts of this area have homes of every age, size, and description, and a lot of old public stairways -- some wood, some concrete. The residences on Paradise are newer, larger homes but all seem unusual in some way, including "Casa Salinas", below.

Mrs. 3940 checks out an unoccupied house on the eastern side of Paradise Road, which follows a ridge top.

Looking towards downtown from Paradise Drive. City Hall, barely visible through the haze, is just 3 miles away.

After following Paradise Drive north for a few blocks we turned left on Telluride St. This is the roughest, funkiest street I've seen in L.A. and it's much steeper than it looks in the photo. You almost need a 4WD vehicle to drive it and in a heavy rainstorm, it must be very tricky!

Many of the roads here are named after minerals and stones (Onyx, Pyrites, Amethyst, Topaz, Turquoise, Radium...) There are also the oddly named Sardonyx St., and East Von Keithian Avenue. Here's another view of Telluride, with downtown in the background. There are sections of old wooden steps alongside Telluride in some areas. It must be a kick to tell someone "My house is on a dirt road. near downtown L.A."

Telluride took us down to Sierra St., a paved road. We crossed Sierra and then headed up Gillin, a steep old concrete street that heads up the next hill. At the end of Gillin we again scrambled and continued up the hill to Radio Road, another of the many unpaved streets in this area, which the locals call Flat Top. Radio Road winds past a transmitting tower, then intersects with Fenn St.:

Fenn St. is long dirt road that leads to a remote home, which probably has a good view of Heritage Square. We didn't walk over to this home but noticed what seemed like odd concrete terraces (or something) near it. Here's a Google satellite view. I wonder who lives in this unusual isolated residence (2 buildings that wrap around the narrow tree at the bottom of the image), and I wonder what all that other stuff is, clustered north of it. The older red roof building in the upper left corner is the the L.A. Leadership Academy High School, at 234 E. Avenue 33.

This last photo shows East Avenue 33, with downtown in the background. That's Dodger Stadium on the hilltop near the upper right. We rarely see views of downtown L.A. from this perspective.

Monteceito Heights really intrigues me, but I've found very little info about it, or its history. My photos here just show a fraction of the interesting sights and homes that can be found in this area. If anyone can add anything about this little known neighborhood, I'd be very interested. One great thing about this area is that unlike L.A.'s developed hill and canyon areas and even Griffith Park, these hills are almost entirely in their original natural state, and there are no trees blocking the views. In old photos, Laurel Canyon, Lookout Mountain, Mulholland, the Hollywood Hills, etc. were originally "open spaces" that resembled these hills, but those areas are completely transformed now and 90% of the views are gone. The hills of Montecito Heights retain stunning, near-360 degree views. (Too bad it was so hazy yesterday.)

Last edited by 3940dxer; May 15, 2012 at 4:07 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 12:25 PM

David, David... just the man we need. La Vista Court should be a piece of cake after your fantastic, intrepid exploration of Montecito Heights. If you get the chance, could you be Noirish's private Google truck to check out Finn Frolich's house?

Quote:
La Vista Court is a short, dead end street so the google-mobile passed it by (probably on his way to lunch)

google street view

Hopefully the next time the google-mobile visits Los Angeles, they will include DEAD END STREETS!
___

It's the tall house at right in e_r's pic above.... Set your GPS for 5152 La Vista Court!

Quote:
G_W, it turns out the spherical 'carving shelters' are actually part of Frolich's original design (see below).

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search...hit-m2254.html

It takes balls (pun intended) for an architect to place two globes at the base of a tower.
Also notice the two 'No Admittance' signs...one on the steps. So why build the steps?
e_r: Great collection of Forest Lawn shots. I didn't look hard enough for pictures of the tower to see that my "carving shelters" are indeed testicular features of the monolith. As for the "No Admittance" signs-- presumably this shot is from just before the tower's demolition in the '40s. I know if I had been a kid in the neighborhood, I'd have totally ignored the signs and gone exploring... although I've always heard that, in spite of FL's motto, "Forest Lawn Serves the Living," the FL gestapo brooks no mischief or mocking of the cemetery--excuse me, "memorial park." Charmingly--though I know it can be a mistake to apply today's standards to the past--for many decades, Forest Lawn refused black, Jewish, and Chinese burials.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 2:56 PM
Dallas, TX

Nice photo of Montecito Heights:

Montecito Heights Improvement Association

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 4:51 PM
You can call me David

Quote:

David, David... just the man we need. La Vista Court should be a piece of cake after your fantastic, intrepid exploration of Montecito Heights. If you get the chance, could you be Noirish's private Google truck to check out Finn Frolich's house?

It's the tall house at right in e_r's pic above.... Set your GPS for 5152 La Vista Court!
I hadn't been following that topic here but will gladly go down there and take a few photos. Just give me a couple of days.

BTW, this morning I read that much of the open space in the Flat Top area of Montecito Heights is owned by a large church. They have been trying to develop the area, despite opposition by residents and the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy.

Which church, you ask? The International Church of the Foursquare Gospel, founded by Sister Aimee and discussed here on occasion. Apparently Foursquare is still going strong, and claims over 8,000,000 members worldwide.

Last edited by 3940dxer; May 13, 2012 at 6:35 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 6:08 PM

David... Not that your own photographic take on La Vista Court would be any less welcome, but I just remembered that our own Handsome Stranger has already been to Finn's house with his Brownie: See his post here.

deepspacedaguerreotype

Hmmm... 8,000,000 members.... I guess they still maintain that Sister Aimee wasn't just another charlatan who "ascended to eternal glory on her magic carpet" when she died of an overdose in 1944, and that there was nothing suspicious about her "friendship" with her radio operator Fred Ormiston, or about her disappearance off Ocean Park and subsequent reappearance in the desert.... Just as with the followers of the occupants of the Chateau Elysee believe in their spaceships (or whatever it is) and the heterosexuality of Groper Travolta, and the followers of yet another flock believe in the goodness of their founder and that the promised land is in Missouri.... that's alot of lemmings. But L.A. history would certainly be that much duller without the Foursquare Gospel Church's madcap circus of fire and brimstone and scandal..... Seems almost innocent compared to the Elysee bunch.

Here's a little recap of Sister Aimee's exploits: http://deepspacedaguerreotype.blogsp...ive-no-11.html. There's always something new to learn: Who knew that there were nude photographs Sister A or that she once "frolicked with Milton Berle for a few afternoon trysts"?....

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 6:54 PM
You can call me David

"A group of about 50 locals filled the Montecito Heights Senior Citizen Center on Thursday evening to assert their opposition to the proposed development of a parcel of hilltop property known as Flat Top.

The Foursquare Foundation--which owns the 40-acre parcel--has tentative plans to develop 36 lots on Flat Top, each about 20,000-square feet in size, according developer Vince Daly.

The Four Square Gospel Church has owned 37 acres of Flat Top for about 80 years--the parcel purchased in order to erect three radio towers that would broadcast the sermons of founder Sister Aimee Semple McPherson. (My emphasis.)

Daly, who attended Thursday evening's Montecito Heights Improvement Association Meeting, said the Foursquare Foundation had hired his firm--Daly Group Inc.--to look at the property and devise a development plan.

He said that the preliminary plan called for developing lots with large backyards, which could potentially be deed restricted for the purpose of protecting open space.

"We wanted to do the least impactful project possible," Daly said.

For the group that gathered at the senior center to protest the development, Daly's proposal raised some serious concerns..."

Complete article at http://highlandpark-ca.patch.com/art...#photo-9137434

-------------------------------------

GW, regarding the La Vista home, it looks like HS did a fine job of photographing it, so I'll wait for some other "assignment".

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 9:08 PM

Hey guys. Outstanding thread.. Words can't explain the amount of knowledge or joy I have gotten from it. I have been lurking for probably 3 months now going through every single page reading every single post. I am still on page 276 but working my way up to the present day.

I like to take pictures of downtown LA. I am actually only interested in the downtown LA posts within this thread (sorry..). Here are a few of my recent pics. I post a pretty good stream of them on my instagram (hunterkerhart).

Eastern & Orpheum which you all know. This block is starting to see some great development.

Library of course

Something needs to be done about this massive vacant gem

Cliftons seeing remodeling

Cliftons from above

90,000+ sq/ft Giannini Place sitting vacant on an emerging restaurant row. Such a colossal hinderance..

Building next door is now Mas Malo, a great mexican restaurant. Anyone know what it was 90 years ago..?

Cool fire station at 7th street & Santa Fe

Southwest from 7th & Spring

Palace theater has been remodeled, though isn't seeing as much action as it should be..

Spring st is on the up.. Though there are still many seedy characters hanging around..

Bradbury is being kept well.

Angels Flight runs until 10pm. They just raised the fares to the obscene price of $0.50 a ride!

The beautiful (my favorite) Los Angeles could use a restoration.. Only time it sees action is on film shoots.

I took this image before I ever saw the 1931 image so they don't quite match. But you can see what happened to the poor department store across the street.. . Gutted and is now a multilevel garage. (Does anyone have a higher res version of the 1931 image? This one is very small and pixelated, I'd love to redo the before/after properly.)

I took this picture 2 nights ago to match up with an older picture I have of Broadway. I'm constantly searching for more night time downtown pictures that I can take 'after' pics to like this.

I hope I didn't post too many recent pictures.. If there is anything anybody wants me to look into physically, or take pictures of, please let me know and I will do so. I wander downtown several nights a week looking for the history right above the sidewalk.

Last edited by ConstructDTLA; May 13, 2012 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 9:11 PM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;5685298]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanlutz View Post
View of Fort Moore Pioneer Memorial from south

photograph by alanlutz

below: Here is a similar view taken in 1954 when the massive 'waterfall' was first turned on. Notice that the monument is not quite finished.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1231
Per Wiki, the waterfall has been turned off in 1977 due to a drought.

Ft. Moore Memorial - Groundbreaking '53
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show....php?p=4847115

And another similar ceremony led by Chief Justice Warren for the nearby "$17,000,000.00 LA County "Hill Street" Superior Court complex. March 27, 1954 http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets...NG-CIT-BUI-736

And turning on the water, err uh another ceremony (grand opening, ca '58) with CJ Earl Warren:
http://photos.lapl.org

Previously posted photo of Mr. Warren at the helm of a mechanized shovel for the Statler Hilton Groundbreaking, ca. '50: http://photos.lapl.org

Senators Knowland and Nixon and Gov. Earl Warren welcome Candidate Eisenhower to Los Angeles August 6, 1952:
http://jpg2.lapl.org

Which makes me thirsty for some ice cold . . . Coca Cola and an Eskimo Pie!

Sunset Boulevard at Hill Place, looking south at Fort Moore Hill ca. 1925
http://photos.lapl.org

Temple Street at Court Hill looking North '46:
http://www.uncanny.net/~wetzel/bunkerhill.htm

Yes, many of these have been previously posted, but they deserve more than just a second and third look!

http://www.uncanny.net/~wetzel/bunkerhill.htm

Last edited by BifRayRock; May 13, 2012 at 10:00 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterK View Post
The beautiful (my favorite) Los Angeles could use a restoration.. Only time it sees action is on film shoots.
Beautifully done!

Feel compelled to add some additional local "neon and turquoise":

All from: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1049799

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
i have always enjoyed Mimetic architecture for greasy spoons and ice cream joints. Los Angeles certainly has had it's fair share of em.

The pup cafe 12728 Washington Blvd in venice - 1920

LAPL

the pup cafe got a bit of a makeover in the 1940's

LAPL

The Tamale restaurant located at 6421 Whittier Boulevard East Los Angeles - 1930's

LAPL

The Tamale would become charley's beauty salon

LAPL

not quite sure what the attraction to eat at this joint was the jail cafe located at 4212 sunset boulevard - 1927

LAPL

Particularly when one gets a gander at the sparse interior. i hope they serve more than bread and water
LAPL

Van de Kamps Beverly Hills located on the northeast corner of Wilshire Boulevard and S. Crescent Heights Boulevard - 1941

LAPL

The toonerville trolley sandwich shop located at 1635 W. Manchester Ave - 1920

LAPL

The igloo located at 4302 W. Pico - 1927

LAPL

The Cone in Eagle Rock - 1920

LAPL
the cone in the 1930's would become the feed rack

LAPL

apparently a very welcoming place for the early bird crowd

LAPL

the Mother Goose Pantry, located at 1951 East Colorado Boulevard, Pasadena - 1928

LAPL

The Teepee ice cream stand, located on 2nd St. and Covina Ave, Long Beach - 1931

LAPL

Barkies sandwich shop 3649 beverly boulevard - 1929

LAPL
a closer view
Corbis

What it became in 1974.....woof!
LAPL

Barkies today

Googlemaps
Add to this wonderful compilation: The "Cream Can" beverage stand. UNk date and location.
LAPL

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Hey guys. Outstanding thread.. Words can't explain the amount of knowledge or joy I have gotten from it. I have been lurking for probably 3 months now going through every single page reading every single post. I am still on page 276 but working my way up to the present day.

I like to take pictures of downtown LA. I am actually only interested in the downtown LA posts within this thread (sorry..). Here are a few of my recent pics. I post a pretty good stream of them on my instagram (hunterkerhart).

Building next door is now Mas Malo, a great mexican restaurant. Anyone know what it was 90 years ago..?

Great collection of downtown shots, HunterK--welcome to the thread. Keep 'em coming. As for Mas Malo at 515 W. 7th, the building was put up by Brock & Co. jewelers just about 90 years ago. The store lasted into the '60s, after which--some sources say 1975--it became Clifton's Silver Spoon, "A Jewel of a Cafeteria." It seems obvious that Clifton's branding of its new space came from its heritage as a jewelry store....

Somewhere there must be a "full-frontal" of Brocks from the '20s, but I couldn't find one readily at hand. There is, however, this undated shot of Brock's marquee... and one of the company's ads featuring an item that seems not to have become one of "society's most popular jewelry selections" after all (I wonder if any are listed on ebay?).... Notice that Clifton's took over Brock's painted sign as well (not sure exactly where this one was [is?]).

P.S. What's the green sign with the 8-point buck on it behind the marquee? It's still there in Google Street Views....

Pics clockwise: army.arch; 1.bp.blogspot.com; LAPL; Period Paper

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; May 14, 2012 at 12:28 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:

Eastern & Orpheum which you all know. This block is starting to see some great development.

Library of course

Something needs to be done about this massive vacant gem

Cliftons seeing remodeling

Cliftons from above

90,000+ sq/ft Giannini Place sitting vacant on an emerging restaurant row. Such a colossal hinderance..

Cool fire station at 7th street & Santa Fe

Southwest from 7th & Spring

Palace theater has been remodeled, though isn't seeing as much action as it should be..

Spring st is on the up.. Though there are still many seedy characters hanging around..

Bradbury is being kept well.

Angels Flight runs until 10pm. They just raised the fares to the obscene price of $0.50 a ride!

I took this image before I ever saw the 1931 image so they don't quite match. But you can see what happened to the poor department store across the street.. . Gutted and is now a multilevel garage. (Does anyone have a higher res version of the 1931 image? This one is very small and pixelated, I'd love to redo the before/after properly.)

I took this picture 2 nights ago to match up with an older picture I have of Broadway. I'm constantly searching for more night time downtown pictures that I can take 'after' pics to like this.

I hope I didn't post too many recent pictures.. If there is anything anybody wants me to look into physically, or take pictures of, please let me know and I will do so. I wander downtown several nights a week looking for the history right above the sidewalk.
I'd like to see a few more shady characters. Nice pics, though, beautiful composition, almost abstract.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 1:43 AM

Quote:
P.S. What's the green sign with the 8-point buck on it behind the marquee? It's still there in Google Street Views....
Thanks!

Thats the sign for the "Seven Grand Whiskey Bar"

http://213nightlife.com/sevengrand

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
I'd like to see a few more shady characters. Nice pics, though, beautiful composition, almost abstract.
No! Shady characters need to be chased out of downtowns core so people can feel comfortable coming in and spending their money.

I seriously can't put up with peoples bullish** when it comes to keeping those awful businesses on Broadway, or enabling the crazed and insane to wander the streets pulling all sorts of shenanigans.

But if it's people you want, heres a few I took Friday night

I thought this was pretty neat.

Cool alleyways. This one everyone has seen but may not realize. Its in thousands of commercials & movies..

2 guys at the edge of skid row. Who knows what they're up to..

My favorite from Friday night.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 3:09 AM

Well, I'm sure that a gentrified downtown L.A. will be nice, if you like that kind of living outside of New York--but no shady characters, no noir. We love noir. Noir isn't about feeling comfortable... just the opposite.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos