HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > SSP: Local Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #501  
Old Posted May 28, 2012, 2:54 PM
wingman wingman is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-R View Post
I vaguely remember hearing that Wal-Mart scooped that one up.
Yes it was confirmed some time age the Zellers in Gloucester was going to be a Wal-Mart. Along with the one in Hull (Place Cartier). Last I heard Zellers in Aylmer was to remain - who knows for how long.

Also read today that the Zellers at Bayshore will not open until 2015ish.

Anxious to get these new stores open. Hoping on some good product and pricing!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #502  
Old Posted May 28, 2012, 2:55 PM
c_speed3108 c_speed3108 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-R View Post
I vaguely remember hearing that Wal-Mart scooped that one up.
Gloucester Centre Zellers will become a Walmart. It has had that status for a while so I can't give you a source right now...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #503  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 3:24 AM
WadiRum's Avatar
WadiRum WadiRum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 21
Published on June 21, 2012
Courtney Symons

Sears Canada (TSX:SCC) is looking to get its retail rhythm back with the grand opening of the largest Sears Home store ever, filling 79,000 square feet of the old Ikea store in the Pinecrest Shopping Centre.

Topics : Sears Canada , Ikea , Rideau Centre , Ottawa , Canada , Vancouver
Doors officially opened at 10 a.m. Thursday morning after a ceremony celebrating the move of Sears Pinecrest from the tiny store - which was already the No. 1 sales volume Sears Homes store in all of Canada, with $25 million in annual appliance sales - to its new, more specialized location.

The $2 million move is part of an effort by the struggling Canadian company to focus on its strengths.

"We're a retailer that lost its retail rhythm," said Sears Canada president and CEO Calvin McDonald in an interview with OBJ. "We can't continue to perform the way we're performing."

Walking into the store is like an Ikea flashback: open concept showrooms with wide aisles and modern signage.
Featuring furniture, more than 110 Energy Star appliances and the largest selection of mattresses in any Sears, the new home store excludes electronics and toys.
New high tech offerings include scannable QR codes on all major appliances, store associates equipped with iPads, and a bed pressure mapping system that customers lie down upon so a computer can match them with the best mattress.

But as the doors open at the new location, the 240,000-square-foot store at the Rideau Centre will close by the end of October, along with locations in Vancouver and Calgary. The Rideau location's demise came from its inability to find a balance between its hard goods such as appliances and soft goods such as clothing Mr. McDonald said, whose first job was as a Sears catalogue delivery boy.

No jobs will be lost from the three store closures, with employees given the option to work at a different location.

The new Sears location leaves 18,000 square feet of unused retail space from the previous Ikea site, which will soon be home to terra20, a retail store selling eco-friendly products. Its first store will open this August, according to its website, with plans to open other locations across the country later in the year.

A couple of stores down lies a Corbeil Appliances, and the Ikea-style layout seems to place them in direct competition with their nearest neighbours. But Mr. McDonald said he welcomes the challenge and that the company differentiates itself with its policy to service what they sell and provide a 90-day price beat guarantee.

"(Sears) is superior versus anyone else," he said. "We do so many things great, and we need to make sure people think of us."

Even while operating in the smaller store four feet away from the new Ikea, the Pinecrest Sears store still managed to keep its ranking as the best selling Sears Home store in the country.

"The team did this amongst the noise, the dust, the leaks and the parking lot congestion (of the Ikea construction)," said Stephen Booth, store manager of the new location.
Leftover products from the old location were donated to the Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa and included $300,000 of furniture, appliances and televisions, on top of a $10,000 cheque presented by Sears Canada at the grand opening event.

The company posted a healthy net profit in the first quarter of 2012 despite declining sales because of a pre-tax gain on lease terminations from its three closing locations.
In the National Capital Region, Sears also has locations at the St. Laurent Centre, Carlingwood Mall and across the Ottawa River in Hull and Aylmer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #504  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 3:36 AM
WadiRum's Avatar
WadiRum WadiRum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 21
Apple Store at Bayshore Shopping Centre
(100 Bayshore Dr.)
Contractor: SAJO Construction Inc.
Description: Tenant fit-up on first floor of a three-storey retail building
Value: $1,000,000

(according to the arcticle below from the Ottawa Business Journal)


Construction permit value up 40.5% in May
$141.5 million to $198.8 million.

A permit for the superstructure of a $25-million eight-storey apartment building being constructed by Ashcroft Development Inc. helped achieve the value increase, as well as a five-storey addition to the Perley and Rideau Veterans’ Health Centre by Aecon Group Inc., valued at $18.75 million.

Minto Communities Inc. received permits for a total of 51 four-storey apartment buildings to build four-storey apartment buildings in Gloucester at varying values close to $2.85 million each.

The top permits in May by value (excluding those for Minto’s Gloucester development) are:

111 West
(111 Richmond Rd.)
Contractor: Ashcroft Development Inc.
Description: Construct an eight-storey apartment building (superstructure only)
Value: $25,000,000

Perley and Rideau Veterans’ Health Centre
(1750 Russell Rd.)
Contractor: Aecon Group Inc.
Description: Construct a five-storey addition to a two-storey institutional building (superstructure only)
Value: $18,750,000

Laurentian Place
(1331 Clyde Ave.)
Contractor: Unknown
Description: Construct a five-storey office building and a one-storey parking garage
Value: $16,000,000

Carleton University MacOdrum Library
(1125 Colonel By Dr.)
Contractor: Pomerleau Inc.
Description: Construct a two-storey addition on an existing three-storey portion and a five-storey front addition on a five-storey institutional building
Value: $15,000,000

Trail Road Waste Facility
(4475 Trail Rd.)
Contractor: Unknown
Description: Construct a one-storey industrial building
Value: $9,400,000

Notre Dame des Champs elementary school
(6280 Renaud Rd.)
Contractor: Unknown
Description: Construct a two-storey institutional building
Value: 8,000,000

Mendes Toyota
(1811 Bank St.)
Contractor: Unknown
Description: Construct a two-storey retail building addition to an existing one-storey retail building
Value: $5,250,000

360 McLeod St.
Contractor: Doran Residential Contractors Ltd.
Description: Construct the foundation and two levels of underground parking for a nine-storey mixed-use buildingValue: $2,615,740

609 Fraser Ave.
Contractor: PCH Construction & Renovations Ltd.
Description: Construct a two-storey detached dwelling with attached two-car garage
Value: $1,600,000
411 Roosevelt Ave.
Contractor: Unknown
Description: Exterior alterations to a four-storey office building
Value: $1,375,000

W. Erskine Johnston Public School
(50 Varley Dr.)
Contractor: Unknown
Description: Construct a one-storey addition at the side of a two-storey institutional building
Value: $1,300,000

Kanata Lakes Apartments
(1025 Canadian Shield Ave.)
Contractor: Kanata Centre Premium Rentals Inc.
Description: Construct a 10-storey residential building with a two-level underground parking garage (foundation only)
Value: $1,200,000

2210 Tenth Line Rd.
Contractor: Minto Communities Inc.
Description: Construct a three-storey, 16-unit apartment building
Value: $1,194,480

2214 Tenth Line Rd.
Contractor: Minto Communities Inc.
Description: Construct a three-storey, 16-unit apartment building
Value: $1,194,480

Ultramar
(2302 Tenth Line Rd.)
Contractor: Unknown
Description: Construct a one-storey commercial retail building
Value: $1,193,000

Apple Store at Bayshore Shopping Centre
(100 Bayshore Dr.)
Contractor: SAJO Construction Inc.
Description: Tenant fit-up on first floor of a three-storey retail building
Value: $1,000,000
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #505  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 12:51 PM
MountainView MountainView is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadiRum View Post
Apple Store at Bayshore Shopping Centre
(100 Bayshore Dr.)
Contractor: SAJO Construction Inc.
Description: Tenant fit-up on first floor of a three-storey retail building
Value: $1,000,000[/COLOR]
Like I said earlier on in the thread... the Apple store will be going where the old Baby Gap was on the first floor near the middle entrance from the parkade. Glad to see Apple finally adding a second, and much needed, store to the Ottawa area!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #506  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 3:44 PM
eternallyme eternallyme is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Like I said earlier on in the thread... the Apple store will be going where the old Baby Gap was on the first floor near the middle entrance from the parkade. Glad to see Apple finally adding a second, and much needed, store to the Ottawa area!
With the heavy demand, they might need a third store...east end? south end? Gatineau?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #507  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 1:09 PM
toaster toaster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
With the heavy demand, they might need a third store...east end? south end? Gatineau?
If they did a third store, it would surely be at St-Laurent, but I doubt they would do that anytime soon. Place D'Orleans is dead, not nearly enough traffic to warrant an Apple store.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #508  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 11:44 PM
waterloowarrior's Avatar
waterloowarrior waterloowarrior is offline
National Capital Region
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 6,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
Gloucester Centre Zellers will become a Walmart. It has had that status for a while so I can't give you a source right now...
here's an article in the OBJ
http://www.obj.ca/Local/Retail/2012-...awa-presence/1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #509  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 12:56 AM
Capital Shaun Capital Shaun is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Walmart signs have gone up already around the mall.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #510  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 3:02 AM
waterloowarrior's Avatar
waterloowarrior waterloowarrior is offline
National Capital Region
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 6,717
American Apparel in Westboro closing
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Life/Al...488/story.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #511  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 3:44 AM
jeremy_haak's Avatar
jeremy_haak jeremy_haak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Posts: 2,933
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle4426420/

It's confirmed that Nordstrom will be replacing Sears at the Rideau Centre.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #512  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 3:56 AM
eternallyme eternallyme is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle4426420/

It's confirmed that Nordstrom will be replacing Sears at the Rideau Centre.
Wow that is shocking!

One thing the Rideau Centre still should do: reconfigure the current Sears store to allow for the food court to move to the 3rd floor facing Mackenzie King Bridge, to be closer to the bridge. Any new anchor(s) could take the remainder of the space. As well, the current food court should become an additional street-facing store like Forever 21.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #513  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 5:16 AM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Wow that is shocking!

One thing the Rideau Centre still should do: reconfigure the current Sears store to allow for the food court to move to the 3rd floor facing Mackenzie King Bridge, to be closer to the bridge. Any new anchor(s) could take the remainder of the space. As well, the current food court should become an additional street-facing store like Forever 21.
Agreed.

I don't see how Nordstrom could support a space as big as this anyway. Besides, before the Rideau subway station was moved, wasn't the food court turning into an entrance? Wouldn't they have made preliminary plans to move the food court? Or will they move it to a new expansion?

I hope Nordstrom at least gives the horrible Sears façade a major, overdue facelift!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #514  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 6:12 AM
Harley613's Avatar
Harley613 Harley613 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 869
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...they need to gut the Sears and build a Casino/Hotel! I'll be pissed if they don't...perfect location!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #515  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 2:39 PM
c_speed3108 c_speed3108 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Wow that is shocking!

One thing the Rideau Centre still should do: reconfigure the current Sears store to allow for the food court to move to the 3rd floor facing Mackenzie King Bridge, to be closer to the bridge. Any new anchor(s) could take the remainder of the space. As well, the current food court should become an additional street-facing store like Forever 21.
Unfortunately the switch from Sears to Nordstorm is not a design/visioning exercise. It is simply about getting in a tenant that will pay higher rent then Sears with had the old bargin Eaton's lease.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #516  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 2:57 PM
kevinbottawa kevinbottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,009
I have mixed emotions about this. On side of the coin, Ottawa will be one of the first cities in the country to have a Nordstrom when we're usually the last to attract American retailers. On the other side of the coin, they could've first a lot of stores in that space.

I hope they do what eternallyme suggested. I also hope they open up the store to the outside by replacing the empty walls with some glass and build that high-end hotel people have been talking about in the empty space on Nicholas. They could connect it to Nordstrom somehow.
__________________
Ottawa needs a vibrant waterfront.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #517  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 3:29 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
I have mixed emotions about this. On side of the coin, Ottawa will be one of the first cities in the country to have a Nordstrom when we're usually the last to attract American retailers. On the other side of the coin, they could've first a lot of stores in that space.

I hope they do what eternallyme suggested. I also hope they open up the store to the outside by replacing the empty walls with some glass and build that high-end hotel people have been talking about in the empty space on Nicholas. They could connect it to Nordstrom somehow.
"they could've first a lot of stores in that space"

Think of it this way; if they would have put a bunch of stores in there, it would have taken away from the need for an expansion (or an expansion without expansion, if you will).

As for a hotel, I'm still hopeful it will come with the expansion, opening in 2017. And I would love to see the Rideau Centre connected thru underground walkways to Arts Court (with or without the Carlton County Casino). 4 city blocks directly connected to the subway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #518  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 3:30 PM
jslath's Avatar
jslath jslath is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...they need to gut the Sears and build a Casino/Hotel! I'll be pissed if they don't...perfect location!!!
Can you please elaborate as to why you would like to see a casino in Rideau Centre. Having a casino in the complex may have the unfortunate side effect of shifting disposable income from being spent in the Rideau Centre stores to being spent in a casino. Stores compete with each other for peoples' money; stores cannot compete with a casino.

This is a good move for Rideau Centre as Nordstrom is a unique high-end store and will attract people with a higher disposable income to the centre. It's all about bringing people into the centre to spend money. This hopefully will increase demand for retail space and help push the expansion forward, potentially attracting other stores such as H&M. Also, this also may finally force the Bay (which is positioning itself to be a higher-end store) to start renovating its space to compete.
__________________
"The physician can bury his mistakes, but the architect can only advise his clients to plant vines." Frank Lloyd Wright

Last edited by jslath; Jul 19, 2012 at 3:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #519  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 4:28 PM
eternallyme eternallyme is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslath View Post
Can you please elaborate as to why you would like to see a casino in Rideau Centre. Having a casino in the complex may have the unfortunate side effect of shifting disposable income from being spent in the Rideau Centre stores to being spent in a casino. Stores compete with each other for peoples' money; stores cannot compete with a casino.

This is a good move for Rideau Centre as Nordstrom is a unique high-end store and will attract people with a higher disposable income to the centre. It's all about bringing people into the centre to spend money. This hopefully will increase demand for retail space and help push the expansion forward, potentially attracting other stores such as H&M. Also, this also may finally force the Bay (which is positioning itself to be a higher-end store) to start renovating its space to compete.
What store could fit in the current food court space? It looks to be about 20,000 square feet.

One possibility would be to renovate the ENTIRE Mackenzie King Bridge facade. Since the entrance to Nordstrom (which would have a portion of the 3rd floor) would be at the far side, while the front part would lead into the new (much larger) food court. Nordstrom would get the entire 4th floor and the eastern parts of the 2nd and 3rd. The western part of the 2nd floor could be opened up to additional retailers?

I strongly oppose a casino in the downtown area, due to the increased crime potential. I would personally keep it at Rideau Carleton, while making a deal to ensure that some benefits to the horse racing community is made, even if the province hates the idea.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #520  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 4:46 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
What store could fit in the current food court space? It looks to be about 20,000 square feet.

One possibility would be to renovate the ENTIRE Mackenzie King Bridge facade. Since the entrance to Nordstrom (which would have a portion of the 3rd floor) would be at the far side, while the front part would lead into the new (much larger) food court. Nordstrom would get the entire 4th floor and the eastern parts of the 2nd and 3rd. The western part of the 2nd floor could be opened up to additional retailers?

I strongly oppose a casino in the downtown area, due to the increased crime potential. I would personally keep it at Rideau Carleton, while making a deal to ensure that some benefits to the horse racing community is made, even if the province hates the idea.
I'm not a fan of a Casino and I definetly don't want it in either the CBD, Market or Rideau area. I think they should have gotten their act together back in the 80s and 90s. Gatineau beat them to it, so too bad.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > SSP: Local Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:14 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.