HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 9:28 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
I suppose they do have all those little retail areas and the market will be nice, but the whole area still feels sterile every time I'm in there. The foot traffic feels so much less than it should be given the number of residents. It is a vertical suburb imo. Hopefully kids walking to and from school will bring some life to the neighborhood. The big problem is the way it is chopped off from the offices nearby (BCBS, Aon et al.) by the sunken park. And all the retail faces inward if I remember correctly instead of meeting the surrounding high traffic streets. I think until that changes LSE will continue to feel like a poorly planned sprawl suburb built upwards instead of outwards. If the park and cul-de-sac become as high traffic as Randolph, Wacker (obviously foot traffic on these streets drops precipitously as one moves east), Lake, Columbus because of a school that'd be great.
^ The Mariano's has a pedestrian connection to Randolph st, and in fact you will see a lot of pedestrians coming into the store from outside the neighborhood. Also, I actually don't think LSE has really achieved its goal density yet. You still have a half dozen or so highrises that have yet to be built. Given the decent amount of pedestrian activity we have already, I think it will be a pretty vibrant neighborhood when all is said and done.

I also think that LSE is a great example of a successful urban neighborhood that does not fall into the Jane Jacobs/street grid-esque Greenwich Village, Manhattan model that give so many urbanists in our generation such a hard on. Everybody worships New York so much in part because it is the New York brand of urbanism that is automatically considered kosher to everyone. More power to cities that are trying to create their own mold.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 10:28 PM

^^^
Ballsy to question Jane Jacobs, especially on SSP. I guess I understand what you are saying, though. I need to consider this for a bit more, but I have to say that LSE feels more like a tall Dearborn park than some indigenous urban planning genius. It should get better as the buildings continue to fill in though...
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 12:15 AM
Urbane observer

I hear that the Steger Building, 28 East Jackson, will be rehabbed for student housing. They're serious enough that they're moving the office tenants out. I think they might be seeking Class L landmarking/tax breaks. The terra cotta has started falling into the street.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 2:07 PM

Walgreens Broadway & Waveland

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
^Thanks for the info.

Walgreens replacement - Broadway and Glenlake
Hey Spyguy, I've heard that Walgreens is looking to gut and renovate the store at Bway & Waveland, have you heard anything?

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Now if we could just get them to do something about the parking lots...
I've said it before, but I wish they would just put it on the roof.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 6:18 PM
The City

Awesome news for the West Loop

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 10:39 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeviewer View Post
Hey Spyguy, I've heard that Walgreens is looking to gut and renovate the store at Bway & Waveland, have you heard anything?
Don't know really. Walgreens seems to be renovating many of their stores, so I'm sure it's a possibility.

Something that seems to have been overlooked due to the Wolf Point discussion: Roeder's article confirms that Old Navy is moving to the Borders space on State Street but that Gap is going to continue to use the building for "other concepts" (so no new highrise yet). Seems a little bit strange considering that Gap is closing stores in the US and hasn't had a store in the Loop in years.

The old Nokia store on Michigan Avenue has apparently been leased. Hopefully they don't mutilate that building.

Neiman Marcus is starting a major renovation of the entire store that will last until 2014. Now that is a building I hope they make exterior changes to.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 11:09 PM

Construction work on the 4th floor of the old Barney's New York store at Oak and Rush. Not sure what it's for but that building has been a buzz of activity.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 11:35 PM

Suitsupply

Suitsupply Sets A Tentative Opening Day; Rooftop Gonna Be Pimp

From Racked Chicago

http://chicago.racked.com/archives/2...e-like-wow.php

Way back in Early December, we let you know that Suitsupply was planning a burst onto Oak Street (at Rush). Since then, there've been few developments in construction or in promotion, yet, we still hear the buzz at the intersection for this Dutch seductress interested in keeping our pants pressed. Via the Racked tipline we were alerted that Chicago Magazine has said the store will open later this month. Don't get your hopes up just yet, boys. In fact, the construction on the space, like many other Chicago buildouts, is hard to gauge progress.

From Racked Chicago.

Looks Like Suit Supply is Building a Massive Terrace

http://chicago.racked.com/archives/2...ve-terrace.php

Via the Racked tipline we were informed Chicago's newest affordable yet trendy menswear store (yet to open) just released drawings and might just become more of a destination shop due to a pimped out rooftop. According to Suitsupply HQ, the store, dependent on construction will open on June 26.
Suitsupply [Official Site]

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever View Post
Suitsupply

Suitsupply Sets A Tentative Opening Day; Rooftop Gonna Be Pimp

From Racked Chicago

http://chicago.racked.com/archives/2...e-like-wow.php

Way back in Early December, we let you know that Suitsupply was planning a burst onto Oak Street (at Rush). Since then, there've been few developments in construction or in promotion, yet, we still hear the buzz at the intersection for this Dutch seductress interested in keeping our pants pressed. Via the Racked tipline we were alerted that Chicago Magazine has said the store will open later this month. Don't get your hopes up just yet, boys. In fact, the construction on the space, like many other Chicago buildouts, is hard to gauge progress.

From Racked Chicago.

Looks Like Suit Supply is Building a Massive Terrace

http://chicago.racked.com/archives/2...ve-terrace.php

Via the Racked tipline we were informed Chicago's newest affordable yet trendy menswear store (yet to open) just released drawings and might just become more of a destination shop due to a pimped out rooftop. According to Suitsupply HQ, the store, dependent on construction will open on June 26.
Suitsupply [Official Site]
Sounds cool! Yeah, when you look at the roof it looks like it was always intended to be a restaurant or something with large glass windows and doors. Currently they've removed a few of the glass windows on the top floor, and the interior looks totally gutted. I believe in the time Barney's occupied the building it was just offices with the store on the lower 3 levels.

Here it be:

Hayward

Last edited by Rizzo; May 31, 2012 at 2:41 AM.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 3:50 AM

Surprised this one has evaded our collective lens...

DePaul Theatre School

Construction Cam

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 4:32 AM

^^^
Its pretty okay, but case and point for anyone over at the Wolf Point who says that PCP isn't Starchitect.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 4:33 AM
TL;DR

Yes, that's the other major Cesar Pelli project in town.

Personally, I love the DePaul theatre project. A much better design relative to its context than Wolf Point is. A handsome, dynamic composition with lots of interesting ideas for how the acting and instruction inside the building can interact through the facade with the public outside. I'll reserve judgment until it's completed, but it seems just as clever as Jeanne Gang's Film Production School at Columbia.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 4:38 AM

Just by looking at the steel, the interiors should be pretty cool with the placement of all the rooms....especially that framed box near the corner.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Neiman Marcus is starting a major renovation of the entire store that will last until 2014. Now that is a building I hope they make exterior changes to.
I wonder if they want to reduce the fortresslike presence along the sidewalks and have more windows?

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 12:14 PM
The City

^ I hope.

I hope that an entire generation of fortresses along the Mag Mile get renovated. Neiman Marcus is up there among some of the worst, but I'm also thinking of Water Tower Place (unlikely to happen) and perhaps even North Bridge, although the Mag Mile side of the latter one isn't too bad. I would love to see more upgrades along the likes of TopShop, which really interacts with the street will and adds dynamism. The All Saints store is nice as well.

Neiman Marcus just looks so....1989. My wife loves shopping but we hardly ever go in there and a part of me thinks that this is because the exterior is so uninviting.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 1:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
^^^
Its pretty okay, but case and point for anyone over at the Wolf Point who says that PCP isn't Starchitect.
One good building out of dozens doesn't make someone a "Starchitect". One doesn't not even have to be good to be a Starchitect, they just need to be famous as the word implies. I've actually been somewhat excited about the theater school since it was announced (posts even before you joined the forum), but I still think Pelli is a hack. This is a smaller project and a completely different game than highrise architecture so I don't see how you think this has any bearing on his credentials when it comes to highrise design. In fact, this is so different than most of his work that I wouldn't be surprised if it were a design handed off to younger, less shitty, architects in his firm.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 3:22 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I hope.

I hope that an entire generation of fortresses along the Mag Mile get renovated. Neiman Marcus is up there among some of the worst, but I'm also thinking of Water Tower Place (unlikely to happen) and perhaps even North Bridge, although the Mag Mile side of the latter one isn't too bad. I would love to see more upgrades along the likes of TopShop, which really interacts with the street will and adds dynamism. The All Saints store is nice as well.

Neiman Marcus just looks so....1989. My wife loves shopping but we hardly ever go in there and a part of me thinks that this is because the exterior is so uninviting.
Agreed with all that other North Bridge. I actually think as far as indoor malls go it is one of the better ones going both inside and out and perhaps the nicest in the whole region. Now the Nordstroms annex I would love to take a wrecking ball and let it have at the monstrosity. So much could be done on that spot with a respectable or signature building and plaza.

The worst offenders to me on The Mile by far is the Lagrange Plaza Escada building. Its a complete embarrassment to the street and wins as worst offender on Michigan by a good margin. The Walgreens I think could do a lot a better with even some relatively minor tweaking and a new retailer. Also Grand east of Michigan needs to be decked over a half a block and the stores spruced up because right now that section looks like it leads to a slum alley.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I hope.

Northbridge is the king of all precast in that area...6 blocks worth. Excellent retail presence at street level, but I wish they could have used blind windows at least to break up all that solid walls and a bit more marble, brick, metals...something not so heavy. Doubt there will ever be a reclad, but we can expect to see some work on the mall with the purchase of the neighboring building for expansion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Also Grand east of Michigan needs to be decked over a half a block and the stores spruced up because right now that section looks like it leads to a slum alley.
It absolutely needs to be decked all the way to St. Clair. As is, the street and stair configuration is bad for business. No one wants to go down Grand that way because it looks unfriendly. I'm sure businesses would improve drastically if a plaza was built with a nicely done staircase leading down. The only business covered up would be Grami, but the underground vibe of it would probably make it all the more interesting. The new restaurant proposed by Blackies could have also taken advantage of a multi-level configuration.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 2:43 AM

What's the next big thing in Chicago that has a realistic chance of getting built? If there isn't one, are we likely to see something in the near future? I've heard a few ideas about the old post office development having some sort of large mall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development