HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 1:34 AM

I don't think you can come to any conclusions about how Tysons will end up yet. The first phase of the Silver Line won't even be completed for a year and a half. This transformation is expected to take three or four decades, not a few years.

There was similar angst about two years ago in the Washington Post and other local media about the slow pace of development in Southeast DC around the Nationals stadium/Navy Yard. After a pause, that area is coming along nicely. At the very least, I think we're going to have to wait until Phase I of the Silver Line is completed and then a decade after that to see how Tysons will develop. This does not excuse Fairfax County Department of Planning staff from not doing their job and making sure that good pedestrian connections exist, developments don't include too much parking or too wide of setbacks, or failing to include sufficient density to encourage neighborhood-serving retail and amenities.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I don't think you can come to any conclusions about how Tysons will end up yet. The first phase of the Silver Line won't even be completed for a year and a half. This transformation is expected to take three or four decades, not a few years.

There was similar angst about two years ago in the Washington Post and other local media about the slow pace of development in Southeast DC around the Nationals stadium/Navy Yard. After a pause, that area is coming along nicely. At the very least, I think we're going to have to wait until Phase I of the Silver Line is completed and then a decade after that to see how Tysons will develop. This does not excuse Fairfax County Department of Planning staff from not doing their job and making sure that good pedestrian connections exist, developments don't include too much parking or too wide of setbacks, or failing to include sufficient density to encourage neighborhood-serving retail and amenities.
I was born in the old Sibley hospital on North Capitol street, grew up in River Terrace and later moved to Silver Spring. My wife grew up in Arlington and later Vienna. I'm dating us to the '40's. Neither of us wants to wait until Tysons is built out to have an opinion. For us this, perhaps remarkably to some who read this, is OUR HOME TOWN. We have an opinion on what it will look like.

As for the Nationals I saw Mickey Mantle hit two home runs on opening day in '56 with the smell of the Wonder Bakery wafting over Griffith Stadium.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations