HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnihiser View Post
Yo Folks... Just went to Denver, and I posted some pics from my travels. Since I'm an Atlanta forumer, I thought it would be interesting for Atlanta folks to take a peek at what I saw while in Denver.

They are doing a killer job of new urban housing in Denver...I might even say they are smoking us, but I won't....because Atlanta rules. Over all others.

Head over here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...142548&page=19
Great pics. I haven't been there in about 6 years, but I thought Denver was really cool. It had a setup similar to Atlanta. There downtown was similar to ours, there Midtown was very gay friendly and also had a park, and I think it was Cherry Creek or Cherry Hills, which was similar to our Buckhead.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
The Center for Civil and Human Rights has to start construction this month or it loses a large chunk of its funding. But I'm wondering how this redesign works. It's a pretty drastic change from the original design, so shouldn't this have to go through approval by both the NPU and the Development Review Committee? I don't think they're allowed to drastically change the design at the last minute without public input. Did the new design already undergo this process, and it just wasn't picked up by media or blogs? If so, why haven't we seen more renderings?
No, they do not have to go before the NPU. The site is zoned for what they want to do.

Yes, they *should* present these revisions to the DRC, but this is a political project, so one never knows. Nothing has been presented yet.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
The Center for Civil and Human Rights has to start construction this month or it loses a large chunk of its funding. But I'm wondering how this redesign works. It's a pretty drastic change from the original design, so shouldn't this have to go through approval by both the NPU and the Development Review Committee? I don't think they're allowed to drastically change the design at the last minute without public input. Did the new design already undergo this process, and it just wasn't picked up by media or blogs? If so, why haven't we seen more renderings?
My understanding, from the Q2 meeting at WOCC is that the ground breaking was at the end of this month. Then soil prep would occur, and we wouldn't see actual construction untill the beginning of next year.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 4:10 PM

Ponce City Market Video

http://www.poncecitymarket.com/blog/...n-of-integrity

Looks great. A little worried that they are simply copying Chelsea Market. I hate stuff like "ye olde" signage. Feature the old Sears equipment. Just don't do a Camden Yards. Hate that, but I guess people eat it up.

Also, putt-putt golf on the roof? Seems so random.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 4:47 PM

Given the length, the background music, and the styling, this video resembles the videos commonly seen at each year's ULI Atlanta awards for best projects. Obviously PCM isn't even finished and so is not to be nominated for a few years...but I'll bet you in 2015 we'll see an updated version of that same video complete with actual footage of the finished product at the ULI Awards for Excellence...

White Provision was already a winner a couple years ago, and Warehouse Row was a finalist this past year.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInmanPark View Post
New rendering of Skyhouse finished.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Looks pretty good!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 2:34 AM

Single ladies: Atlanta

I am not saying that it's a fantastic show, but the current season of Single Ladies on VH1 is filmed in Atlanta, and takes place in Atlanta. Midtown and Buckhead are heavily featured.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
wow. this is really going to be a defining feature of our city, something to really set us apart from the pack, in the south especially. definitely looking forward to it.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnihiser View Post
I am not saying that it's a fantastic show, but the current season of Single Ladies on VH1 is filmed in Atlanta, and takes place in Atlanta. Midtown and Buckhead are heavily featured.
All curious peeps, check this link out. This show really makes Atlanta look glamorous and has a gorgeous cast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k8NJ...eature=mh_lolz

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 5:45 AM
Kelly Clarkson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
Ponce City Market Video

http://www.poncecitymarket.com/blog/...n-of-integrity

Looks great. A little worried that they are simply copying Chelsea Market. I hate stuff like "ye olde" signage. Feature the old Sears equipment. Just don't do a Camden Yards. Hate that, but I guess people eat it up.

Also, putt-putt golf on the roof? Seems so random.
2014... ugh! So far away. I am hoping they mean Early 2014!!! I hope they do some kind of water feature outside of the building! I love fountains!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 1:16 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
2014... ugh! So far away. I am hoping they mean Early 2014!!! I hope they do some kind of water feature outside of the building! I love fountains!
Time flies, Joecool! I understand your sentiment, but to me that sounds very ambitious. Hell we are halfway through 2012 already! Maybe it's just me getting older (50 next January), but 2014 sounds like tomorrow to me.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 11:00 PM

Just to show the folks that have never seen the original concept for the Cival Rights Museum, here it is. The new one is a good looking building but overall it's disappointing to say the least.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompuss View Post
Just to show the folks that have never seen the original concept for the Cival Rights Museum, here it is. The new one is a good looking building but overall it's disappointing to say the least.

Major difference, is that grass on the top???

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 11:07 PM

Was biking around today. Snapped some shots...not of construction.

The old Vickery's/Fifth Group's new seafood concept is nearly complete and actually looks like a nice place to eat and drink.

The Delta Credit Union has basically taken shape...looks good for CU branch, but shouldn't be there.

A good many people out and about today...there is some rap thing going on downtown, which is where I went to catch a bit of hectic city life, and man is it a turnoff when there are a bunch of rappers in town. I would equate it to a slew of death metal/hardcore weirdo bands coming to town...they just don't attract the best crowds. I'm pretty sure every candy painted lifted Chevy with color coordinated rims in Clayton and Dekalb counties was downtown cruising around blasting ghetto rap. They're also not a group used to bikers and pedestrians...or maybe they don't give a shit. Not a good display to families and visitors.

Usually I love going downtown to hear car horns blasting and seeing crowds on the sidewalks and the density of the buildings, but today I was pretty thrilled to return to Midtown.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
Was biking around today. Snapped some shots...not of construction.

The old Vickery's/Fifth Group's new seafood concept is nearly complete and actually looks like a nice place to eat and drink.

The Delta Credit Union has basically taken shape...looks good for CU branch, but shouldn't be there.

A good many people out and about today...there is some rap thing going on downtown, which is where I went to catch a bit of hectic city life, and man is it a turnoff when there are a bunch of rappers in town. I would equate it to a slew of death metal/hardcore weirdo bands coming to town...they just don't attract the best crowds. I'm pretty sure every candy painted lifted Chevy with color coordinated rims in Clayton and Dekalb counties was downtown cruising around blasting ghetto rap. They're also not a group used to bikers and pedestrians...or maybe they don't give a shit. Not a good display to families and visitors.

Usually I love going downtown to hear car horns blasting and seeing crowds on the sidewalks and the density of the buildings, but today I was pretty thrilled to return to Midtown.
I agree!!! It's just a bunch of disturbing mess. Tho not as bad as downtown was today, even Atlantic Station on the weekend nights can have a similar atmosphere. I'm sure it's not what developers initially had in mind when developing Atlantic Station.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 8:13 PM

It's their world too.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 12:09 AM

In b4 someone says this is racist

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 1:53 PM

West Village Condo Construction making progress

I was driving on I-285 near Vinings and noticed the West Village Condos under construction at the Atlanta Rd exit. The framing appears to be complete. If I had time I would have take a pic, but here is the latest article I could find about the scope of the project.

http://smyrna.patch.com/articles/wes...n-moving-along

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 5:11 PM

Might also add that sitework seems to be underway near 200 Riverwood (Cumberland Dr and Cobb Pkwy).

The hotel near Overton (also Vinings) is at 4th floor. These are all boring projects though...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 5:36 PM

i've been meaning to ask - does anyone know what is under construction here? (just south of one overton park)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations