Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
I hope they don't install that stupid concrete monster, what an embarrassment that would be.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 8:54 PM
West bench livin'

Fantastic build for SF! I am loving the crown.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
I hope they don't install that stupid concrete monster, what an embarrassment that would be.
I couldn't agree more... that thing is atrocious. Where are the NIMBY's when you really need them.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 9:50 PM

^I dunno, I kind of like it. It's unique, which I'm typically a fan of.

I wish that we still had that giant spider on the Embarcadero, that thing was awesome. Too bad it was temporary.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 10:38 PM

Although that concrete sculpture isn't that great looking it could become something that tourists like taking pics with, Sort of like the Wall Street Bull.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 12:01 AM

I don't hate it, I don't love it, but I do like the fact it will be constructed from salvaged pieces of the old Transbay Terminal.

Quote:
Hawkinson will salvage some of the demolished material from the Transbay Terminal to reconstruct from the ruins, a figure to welcome travelers to the new Transit Center. The sculpture will be approximately 41 feet high and is constructed almost entirely from the demolished remains of the original terminal. The artist sees the sculpture as a “guardian”, intended to help travelers navigate a safe journey.
Source: http://transbaycenter.org/project/tr.../tim-hawkinson

Source: www.transbaycenter.org

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
I don't hate it, I don't love it, but I do like the fact it will be constructed from salvaged pieces of the old Transbay Terminal.

Source: http://transbaycenter.org/project/tr.../tim-hawkinson

Source: www.transbaycenter.org
I've heard it been referred to as "The last bum to leave the terminal" I like that one!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 12:17 AM
testify

i don't think i've ever even visited a city with worse public art that sf. i remember curbed did a "what's the worst public art in sf?" and it was practically a 12-way tie. this one would be a close 13th, just a terrible counterpoint to something so light and forward-looking. why not have an organic counterpoint, or something vivacious and expressive? why something like out of a child's cereal box or a 1990s video game?

i do like the redwoods though, ideally, i'd see some sort of crimson red totemic type thing, maybe a soft, even gently twisting, triangle rising from within the redwood grove, with seating below. in that vision, the redwoods would be very tightly spaced, with an earth floor and some low iron gating surrounding, like entering a glen. not sure how much time people spend at the transamerica redwood glen, but in the morning, with the dew or fog hanging out there, it's transporting.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post

i do like the redwoods though, ideally, i'd see some sort of crimson red totemic type thing, maybe a soft, even gently twisting, triangle rising from within the redwood grove, with seating below. in that vision, the redwoods would be very tightly spaced, with an earth floor and some low iron gating surrounding, like entering a glen. not sure how much time people spend at the transamerica redwood glen, but in the morning, with the dew or fog hanging out there, it's transporting.
Although not technically in SF, but in the Presidio, I really like this piece of public art which is in essence what you just described:

http://lensdaisy.com/2011/09/26/pres...san-francisco/

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 1:37 AM
A Man In Dandism

I like the addition of the elevated park. It reminds me of a mini High Line from NYC, which has been very successful. Too bad it doesn't snake its way all the way to the Embarcadero though!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket
I like the addition of the elevated park. It reminds me of a mini High Line from NYC, which has been very successful. Too bad it doesn't snake its way all the way to the Embarcadero though!
Old designs had the rooftop park extending south, along the top of the bus ramp to the freeway, making it even more like a mini high line park. You can see part of it in this rendering:

http://inhabitat.com/sfs-green-trans...on/transbay-2/

Unfortunately it seems that it's no longer part of the design.

Quote:
Agreed. I wouldn't really mind if they built it somewhere else that's less visible/trafficked, because I like off the wall and weird stuff...but building it as the centerpiece sculpture of SF's new tallest tower? Hopefully not, I think they can do a lot better than that ugly pile of blocks. And can we tear down the giant bow and arrow on the embarcadero, while we're at it?

Quote:
Although not technically in SF, but in the Presidio, I really like this piece of public art which is in essence what you just described:

http://lensdaisy.com/2011/09/26/pres...san-francisco/
Whoa that's pretty cool. I didn't know about it, which reminds me how little I go to the Presidio. Also, even though the Presidio is national park service land, it's still a part of SF.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 6:19 AM
testify

yeah, like i almost never go to the presidio, i think i've been there a dozen times in my life. i don't know if the presidio is technically part of sf but, psychologically, it seems really removed. then again, so does st francis wood and stonestown and even the excelsior.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
yeah, like i almost never go to the presidio, i think i've been there a dozen times in my life. i don't know if the presidio is technically part of sf but, psychologically, it seems really removed. then again, so does st francis wood and stonestown and even the excelsior.
Same here, I've been to the Presidio maybe 10 times in the past decade, aside from driving through. It does feel like a different world compared to the rest of SF, but it is part of SF . It has over 2,000 residents and is in district 2 along with the Marina, Pacific Heights, Presidio Heights, Seacliff, and some of the Western Addition and Russian Hill.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
Same here, I've been to the Presidio maybe 10 times in the past decade, aside from driving through. It does feel like a different world compared to the rest of SF, but it is part of SF . It has over 2,000 residents and is in district 2 along with the Marina, Pacific Heights, Presidio Heights, Seacliff, and some of the Western Addition and Russian Hill.
District 2- that's my hood

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 9:49 AM

I love the concrete monster, I hope they keep it there. Wouldn't it be considered NIMBY to oppose it?

And I like SF's public art, it's not all great, but at least it's there in relative abundance. There are a lot of other cities that have very little public art whatsoever and they'd do well to even have SF's mediocre pieces. I am living in London now, and there is so little public art it feels a bit sterile.
I find it interesting how hard people living in San Francisco are on the city sometimes, it's this funny self-loathing thing. I suppose it's everywhere.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberEric View Post
I love the concrete monster, I hope they keep it there. Wouldn't it be considered NIMBY to oppose it?

And I like SF's public art, it's not all great, but at least it's there in relative abundance. There are a lot of other cities that have very little public art whatsoever and they'd do well to even have SF's mediocre pieces. I am living in London now, and there is so little public art it feels a bit sterile.
I find it interesting how hard people living in San Francisco are on the city sometimes, it's this funny self-loathing thing. I suppose it's everywhere.
I don't think it's very self-loathing to hate an ugly sculpture, especially one that's not even built yet. I actually like the sculpture in Justin Herman plaza, which is similar in that it's blocky and concrete, though some others thing it's 100% fugly. SF does have some good public art, but that proposed concrete block man wouldn't be an example, in my opinion, at least in that location.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberEric View Post
There are plenty of skyscrapers in SF I loathe as well. Yes, I suppose it is a type of NIMBYism if I were to campaign against it and waste taxpayer money on ballot initiatives to block it. To not like something is not NIMBYism.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 5:43 PM

Honestly, they could put a bronze pile of crap on that corner and I wouldn't really care. I'm just happy to see an actual super tall in SF. I never thought I'd see the day!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 5:48 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
I've heard it been referred to as "The last bum to leave the terminal" I like that one!
HA! I like that too. That's exactly what I will call it from now on. Too funny!

We're wandering off topic here, but I think SF has very good public art. Some I consider good and some bad (a subjective thing for sure), but there is a good amount of it in the parts of town I frequent (mostly FiDi and other parts of the northeast). I think it stacks up just fine with most places I've been.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 6:06 PM

Quote:
originally posted by wakamesalad
i've heard it been referred to as "the last bum to leave the terminal" i like that one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
ha! I like that too. That's exactly what i will call it from now on. Too funny!
+1!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture