HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 8:24 PM

^

I think if LRT goes through King it changes the parking requirements completely.

In other words, for a business to operate successfully, you don't need both LRT and parking out front, just one or the other.

If I was a business owner in the area I would prefer LRT.

Not only that, but focusing on King E, there are lots of parking lots north of king south of wilson.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 4:10 PM

Once LRT tracks go in, it could be next to impossible to widen the sidewalks to a NORMAL width. I say normal because in many sections of Main and King, the sidewalks are no wider than sidewalks on small sidestreets. Not befitting of an actual city, and certainly not conducive to any retail along these streets.

We should also ensure there is at least a total of TWO dedicated parking lanes all along the Main/King corridor. That could mean 2 along Main, or 1 along Main/1 along King, or 2 along King. And scrap the 4-6pm no parking rule. This is HIGH TIME for some of the thousands of cars to stop and pick something up at the shops downtown on their way home. I have tried stopping at several stores downtown on the way home from work and it is nearly impossible to slow down along Main or King to see what is in a shop's front window without getting into an accident and there is no parking in front of any of the shops I want to visit.

So I end up parking a block or 2 down the street, which would be fine in a city like Toronto where sidewalks along major streets accomodate pedestrians, except many sections of Main and King have tiny, narrow sidewalks with 5 lanes of traffic only several feet away.

We have to realize that LRT will involve more pedestrians downtown, so we'll need sidewalks that accomodate more than 2 people walking shoulder to shoulder, this could be very difficult to make happen once rails go in.. so it has to be done before the tracks go in. Also business growth due to LRT (like it or not) will mean more cars searching for parking spots downtown. We'll have to put in more parking lanes eventually, might as well plan for that now.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 8:07 PM
Hammer'd

I actually agree with everything in the above post.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 2:15 PM
It's Hammer Time

Coffee Culture is locating to the Gore Building!

http://www.coffeeculturecafe.com/

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Coffee Culture is locating to the Gore Building!

http://www.coffeeculturecafe.com/
Google street view still shows it as the old Crabby Joe's which is gone now,

Love their store at Centennial Parkway beside the Union Burger http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&cli...rio&gl=ca&z=16

Great for the Gore!

Talked to the Union Burger owner at Centennial and he said the Union Burger and Coffee Culture (and Crabby Joe's) are owned by the same company out of Mississauga and that he has the only two ( one of each) which are side by side on Centennial Pkwy.

He said he was going to open in Florida!

BY, Union Burger serves beer!

http://ubburger.com/ubLocations.html

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 7:40 PM
Hammer'd

Wow, I'm surprised. Coffee Culture is actually a pretty upper class (at least in looks?) establishment. It'll make a really good first tenant for the Gore Building.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 1:26 PM

I think there's a Coffee Culture on Wilson in Ancaster. It's quite nice. Great news for the Gore.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 2:01 PM
It's Hammer Time

The company that owns the three chains seem to be on a massive expansion.

Either way having Coffee Culture will be a huge positive step for the Gore Park area.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
The company that owns the three chains seem to be on a massive expansion.

Either way having Coffee Culture will be a huge positive step for the Gore Park area.
As nice as this is for the downtown and Gore building, it would have been that much better if it were located on the south leg of King St. between Hughson and James where the pedestrianization of Gore park is happening.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
As nice as this is for the downtown and Gore building, it would have been that much better if it were located on the south leg of King St. between Hughson and James where the pedestrianization of Gore park is happening.
I agree. Although, I live two blocks from the Coffee Culture on Centennial, in the East end and initially I felt that the location (even though it suited my needs and wants) would not suit the community seeing as how the majority of the population in Riverdale West neighbourhood is from the Middle East and don't spend much of their time in a coffee shop as well as the fact that its located in a zone where there's not much pedestrian traffic. The effect of its construction has killed my initial thoughts as its opening has attracted citizens from all walks of life and has even boosted Eastgate Square's popularity during a period where its in grave decline. I'm sure the customers coming in to the one being built into the Gore Building will be charmed into waltzing around the new south leg pedestrian area. Its not about necessarily bringing the people to that specific part of Gore Park its about bringing people to the vicinity and allowing them to discover it themselves.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 10:36 PM
Hammer'd

I don't think it not being on the South side of King is a big deal. There is still a wide variety of restaurants and bars there with patio's looking out onto the Gore. The Gore building is also only across the street from this, so any customers going to/from Coffee Culture will no doubt have to go near/through the Gore. The North side of King between John and Catharine REALLY needed this. If Coffee Culture does well, it might help the city with their project next door.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 11:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

Coffee Culture coming to Gore in the core

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...re-in-the-core

Coffee Culture is coming to the Gore Building downtown.

Ward 2 Councillor Jason Farr said it is “a done deal.”

According to Farr, getting a Coffee Culture — described on its website as “an Old World style coffee house” — into the commercial space was more than a year in the making.

The five-storey building at 89 King St. at John Street, a public housing building owned by Hamilton Housing, is not part of the city’s Gore Building Improvement Grant Program that was set before the planning committee last October.

According to John Hryczynski, a broker for the real estate company that leased the space to Coffee Culture, the chain bought both retail units listed on the website, which spans the entire ground floor of the building.

“They wanted to have a presence in downtown Hamilton,” said Hryczynski. “It certainly makes good business for them; there are a lot of professional buildings in the area.”

The space Coffee Culture will call home has an estimated 1,730 square feet.

Hryczynski said there were a few tenants interested in the space for lease.

“The landlord (Hamilton Housing) was waiting for a good fit and Coffee Culture was a very good fit for that space,” said Hryczynski

This will be the chain’s third store in Hamilton. There is another location on Centennial Parkway and one in Ancaster. There is also one in Burlington.

Coffee Culture is owned by Obsidian Group Inc. which also owns Crabby Joe’s Tap & Grill and Union Burger. In Stoney Creek, the company also opened a Union Burger in the same unit, but Farr said that won’t be the case in the downtown location.

“It’ll be an artists’ studio space,” he said.

It’s not known when construction will begin, but Farr says it’s “imminent.” A spokesperson for Hamilton Housing, however, says a “fall/early winter opening is feasible.”

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 11:30 PM
Hammer'd

Glad that they snatched both spaces as the individual units are a bit small. I wonder if they will try for a bit of patio space? There's a little bit of space in front of the building before the sidewalk where they could make a very small space. If not, hopefully they'll install those roll up windows to open it up to the street in the nice weather.

edit: upon looking at a picture of the building, it definitely doesn't look like there's space for a patio. Oh well.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 2:29 AM

I don't know, with the current state of King street, I'm not sure I'd use the patio even if there was one.

If this were on the South side of King, however, that would be different.

I really hope this goes well and helps get that project next door off the ground. Good stuff!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 5:16 PM

Hey Joe Buttinsky's had a patio right there for years! Time to take back that stretch!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateittoo View Post
Hey Joe Buttinsky's had a patio right there for years! Time to take back that stretch!
Joe Butt's had the luxury of a massive bumpout and a cavernous entranceway, as well as a bit of foliage. The Gore isn't quite so lucky, but you can always have a micropatio. The compact setup at the Main/Emerson Starbucks, flush against the exterior wall and a body's length from traffic, is proof of consumers' remarkable ability to adapt. "Patio" is a state of mind.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateittoo View Post
Don't remind me.

I get your point, though I'd prefer King street traffic slow a little before I take my spot on the patio.

Not the best pics but you can see a patio would be a tight squeeze. Definitely a good idea though.

Joe Butts...apt name Also, the former Capitol Theatre.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 1:59 PM

great pics, pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce.

I'm usually not one for knocking done buildings, but knock down Pizza Pizza/ Pagoda and have a great urban corner patio for Coffee Culture and show off Treble Hall at the same time.

Not much of a building, and what a great open space that would be .

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 6:30 PM

I see a for sale sign on Joe Butts... Anyone know how much they're asking for it?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 6:45 PM

When I was too young to go to bars Joe Buttinsky's used to be Grapes and Things and was one of the hottest bars in town. Would love to see some more nightlife there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton