HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #10441  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 9:09 PM
Handsome Stranger's Avatar
Handsome Stranger Handsome Stranger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here is a wonderful photograph of Prospect Avenue before it was renamed Hollywood Boulevard. You can clearly see the original Hollywood Hotel (with strawberry fields across the street).

Holy cow, ER, that instantly became one of my favorite photos of old Hollywood! I may need to bid on it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10442  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 10:44 PM
tovangar2 tovangar2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 2,618
Cosmo St. Scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Your post is provocative and interesting too. I don't know if these places have been discussed on this thread, but I would love to learn more about the clubs you mention above and about the performers you mention. I think you might shed some light on "quasi L&G" nightlife in the 1930s and leading up to WW2. Would you care to give it a shot?
I added a little more info re the Cosmo Street scene in a P.S. to my last post on page 522. Google will give you a lot more.

"Behind the Screen: How Gays and Lesbians Shaped Hollywood, 1910-1969" by William J. Mann, Penguin Books, 2001 and "Open Secret: Gay Hollywood, 1928-2000" by David Ehrenstein are full of info as is the delightful "Wisecracker: The Life and Times of William Haines, Hollywood's First Openly Gay Star", also by William Mann.

Last edited by tovangar2; Nov 25, 2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: add book titles
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10443  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 12:39 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 13,501
The Haines rick_m mentioned is film actor William Haines. (tovanger2 mentions him as well in her post )


http://lewistrimble.blogspot.com/201...ner-actor.html





http://lazycircles.blogspot.com/2008...am-haines.html



http://lazycircles.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.html





below: Cafe Trocadero circa 1935.


http://www.maybellinebook.com/2011/1...ields-had.html

William (Billy) Haines is seated with the cigarette in his hand and his lover Jimmy Shields is standing at left....and we all know who the delectable blonde is.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 26, 2012 at 1:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10444  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 12:42 AM
tovangar2 tovangar2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 2,618
CC Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

below: Here is a wonderful photograph of Prospect Avenue before it was renamed Hollywood Boulevard.
You can clearly see the original Hollywood Hotel (with strawberry fields across the street).


newly listed on ebay

__


CC Pierce (1861-1946) came to LA from Chicago in 1886 for the winter & stayed. He married Hattie Gower (Gower St in Hollywood is named for her family's ranch).

The LA Times published an article on C.C. Pierce and his 10,000 photographs in July.
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul...ierce-20120710

Here's Pierce's shot of the future Miracle Mile (diagonal at center) in 1920

Title Insurance and Trust / C.C. Pierce Photography Collection, USC Libraries.

Last edited by tovangar2; Jun 14, 2015 at 2:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10445  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 12:57 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 13,501
a little more on william haines

1930 film


download here
http://lovvrpy.tumblr.com/post/17322041622









1929

http://www.barewalls.com/pv-443388_1...ie-Poster.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10446  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 1:40 AM
tovangar2 tovangar2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 2,618
Billy Haines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
The Haines rick_m mentioned is film actor William Haines. (tovanger2 mentions him above )


http://lazycircles.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.html
__
Haines decorating business was a justified hit and continues to influence interior designers today.

Below is the bed Haines did for Carole Lombard. The tufted trim around the edges was a classic Haines touch and became a trademark.

architecturaldigestarchives

Joan Crawford's living room. Haines combined regency pieces with his own contemporary furniture into a new "Hollywood Regency" style. Original Haines furniture fetches high prices at auction. Some of his designs are still in production.

circawho.com

Billy dazzles a client:

circawho.com

Classic Haines armless chair:

http://<i>http://www.williamhaines.c...-chair-256</i>



circawho
Haines' lab for his design ideas was his and Jimmy's home at 1712 N Stanley Drive. He once did a room in knotty pine, but thought there weren't enough knots, so had a faux-finish painter add more. http://www.architecturaldigest.com/g...-angeles-house



And if you haven't seen Haines in "Show People" (1928) with Marion Davies (directed by King Vidor), do it now. Show People is both Haines and Davies best film.
It features location shooting on the MGM lot.

dr macro



e_r also touched on Randolph Scott and Cary Grant in the blog he quoted. There was a dreamy photo spread done on them at home. Google Images has the rest of the series.

tumbr

http://gayinfluence.blogspot.com

Last edited by tovangar2; Jan 5, 2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: fix link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10447  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 2:16 AM
rcarlton's Avatar
rcarlton rcarlton is offline
Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

below: Cafe Trocadero circa 1935.


http://www.maybellinebook.com/2011/1...ields-had.html

William (Billy) Haines is seated with the cigarette in his hand and his lover Jimmy Shields is standing at left....and we all know who the delectable blonde is.
__
Who is the blond?
__________________
Dallas, Texas
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10448  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 2:22 AM
tovangar2 tovangar2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 2,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post
Who is the blond?
That's Jean Harlow seated next to her honey, William Powell

P.S. Actually (according to altfg.com), the whole line-up is: Edith Gwynne Wilkerson (wife of Trocadero owner Billy Wilkerson), Jean Harlow, William Powell, William Haines‘ lover Jimmy Shields (standing), Anderson Lawler, unidentified man (standing), Haines, Edith’s sister Marge. (Anderson Lawler was a Paramount Pictures actor and the rumored paramour of Gary Cooper, but I digress.)

P.P.S.
The "unidentified man" is Wm Wilkerson (1890-1962), the owner of the Tracadero. Here he is at the club with Cary Grant

cirosbooks

Besides the Tracadero, Wilkerson owned Vendome and Ciro's. He founded the Hollywood Reporter and the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas.
Wilkerson also owned the Arrowhead Springs Hotel, here photographed by C.C. Pierce in 1938 just to bring that full circle.

eBay

Thx for the great photo e_r

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 3, 2015 at 9:13 PM. Reason: fix link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10449  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 2:30 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 13,501
Here are two 1950s slides I found on ebay earlier in the year.



I am struck by this dashing young couple. Are they about to be married at City Hall?
The location (a small verdant patch near an overpass ) seems quite odd.




below: The companion slide.



A little dog with multiple little hats (infrastructure in the background).

Anyone have an idea where these slides were taken? I've tried to figure it out for quite some time.
__
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10450  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 2:55 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 13,501
If this vintage William Haines interior doesn't impress you.....


http://www.williamhaines.com/history

...nothing will. At first I thought those little statuettes were 'Oscars', and that this must be Edith Head's living room.
I was wrong on both accounts.


Check out the current 'william haines designs' at
http://www.williamhaines.com/about
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10451  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 3:09 AM
austlar1 austlar1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,479
Thanks for the updates and William Haines information. Since I no longer live in LA it is hard for me to browse bookstores where I might find the titles provided by Tovanger. I plan to order online. I lived in LA in the 80s and remember going to the Gaslight (which was seedy as hell) on more than one occasion back then. I remember hanging out somewhere else in the same alley a short time later, or maybe I am thinking about the Spotlight. That does not speak well for my predilictions, but that is another story. I am a 12 stepper these days and no longer hang in such spots. I guess that is a story of redemption or something. I had no idea there was such an interesting history to that little alleyway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10452  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 3:25 AM
rick m rick m is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
I added a little more info re the Cosmo Street scene in a P.S. to my last post on page 522. Google will give you a lot more.

"Behind the Screen: How Gays and Lesbians Shaped Hollywood, 1910-1969" by William J. Mann, Penguin Books, 2001 and "Open Secret: Gay Hollywood, 1928-2000" by David Ehrenstein are full of info as is the delightful "Wisecracker: The Life and Times of William Haines, Hollywood's First Openly Gay Star", also by William Mann.
Best site to dig into: martinturnbull.com has a loong page of research "Hollywood Places" - where I dug up more than 40 30s to post WW2 L/G clubs/restaurant haunts.etc. In pursuit especially for "Pansy Craze" material in the 30s - I addnly scoured relevant dated Hollywood Reporters and Variety and Daily Variety over at the Margaret HerrickLibrary - these pieces now reside in newly created file at OneArchives - This is how I found out about the original Pansy emcee Jean Malin-- also do google a bucketload on Rae Bourbon's L.A. career-- breathtaking-- Lavender Los Angeles exhibit downtown in 2010 was largely researched by me as well- Our Arcadia Press tome is on the shelf at Vroman's for the overview- My special walking tour of preStonewall bars downtown was a hoot--that turned up some 24 spots...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10453  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 3:51 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 13,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick m View Post
Best site to dig into: martinturnbull.com has a loong page of research "Hollywood Places" - where I dug up more than 40 30s to post WW2 L/G clubs/restaurant haunts.etc. In pursuit especially for "Pansy Craze" material in the 30s - I addnly scoured relevant dated Hollywood Reporters and Variety and Daily Variety over at the Margaret HerrickLibrary - these pieces now reside in newly created file at OneArchives - This is how I found out about the original Pansy emcee Jean Malin-- also do google a bucketload on Rae Bourbon's L.A. career-- breathtaking-- Lavender Los Angeles exhibit downtown in 2010 was largely researched by me as well- Our Arcadia Press tome is on the shelf at Vroman's for the overview- My special walking tour of preStonewall bars downtown was a hoot--that turned up some 24 spots...
Thanks for the information rick_m. I was unaware of the Margaret Herrick Library.

Here is my earlier post on Jean Malin, emcee at the Club New Yorker on Hollywood Boulevard.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=8325
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 26, 2012 at 4:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10454  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 4:15 AM
tovangar2 tovangar2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 2,618
Pico-Union HPOZ

The Pico-Union Historic Preservation Overlay Zone (HPOZ) is hot with developers.

This is 957 Beacon before:

COLA Office of Historic Resources

and after:

loopnet
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10455  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 4:20 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 13,501
Good find T2. Below is my earlier post on 957 Beacon, but I didn't have that interesting 'before' photograph.
In my opinion 957 Beacon lost it's character with that unsympathetic remodel. Where are the wooden supports under the eaves?
I didn't realize this until I saw your 'before' photo tovanger2


Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Two mansion 'hold outs' at Olympic Boulevard and Beacon Avenue.


google aerial





google street view







google street view





below: The mansion...it's neighbor...and the Rosemary Apartments at far right.


google street view
____

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 26, 2012 at 4:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10456  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 4:33 AM
tovangar2 tovangar2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 2,618
The Spotlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Thanks for the updates and William Haines information. Since I no longer live in LA it is hard for me to browse bookstores where I might find the titles provided by Tovanger. I plan to order online. I lived in LA in the 80s and remember going to the Gaslight (which was seedy as hell) on more than one occasion back then. I remember hanging out somewhere else in the same alley a short time later, or maybe I am thinking about the Spotlight. That does not speak well for my predilictions, but that is another story. I am a 12 stepper these days and no longer hang in such spots. I guess that is a story of redemption or something. I had no idea there was such an interesting history to that little alleyway.
My business partner got mugged in Cosmo St behind the Gaslight in the 80's, but his trousers were so tight, the mugger couldn't get his wallet out of his pocket(!)
The Spotlight ("Hollywood's Oldest Gay Bar - Est 1963") didn't have an alley. It was in the beautiful Marion Building, 1601 Cahuenga at Selma. The space is now AV Nightclub.

curbed la


AV
Interior of the faux-seedy AV Nightclub.
"New Haven for the Exclusive and Elite Encapsulated in Two Letters: AV"
Damn hipsters.

Last edited by tovangar2; Nov 26, 2012 at 7:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10457  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 5:06 AM
tovangar2 tovangar2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 2,618
957 Beacon and Herrick Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Good find T2. Below is my earlier post on 957 Beacon, but I didn't have that interesting 'before' photograph.
I think 957 Beacon lost it's character with the unsympathetic remodel.
I didn't realize this until I saw your 'before' photo tovanger2.
I apologize, I somehow missed your earlier post (or maybe I didnt recognize the house). Apart from replacing the shingles and stucco with siding and trashing the front yard (plus losing the eave supports), I don't think the rehabbers did too bad a job. At least it's still there and can always be fixed later. I'm wondering what the inside looks like. Pico-Union houses were going for $100-$150K in the 90's. Now they're $650K.

You've seen the Margaret Herrick Library even if you've never heard of it:

ALS
It's in the old Beverly Hills Water Treatment Plant (Salisbury, Bradshaw & Taylor, 1928) on La Cienega and Olympic. The building almost got torn down in 1986 when it was derelict and covered inside and out with graffiti.

Library home page:http://www.oscars.org/library/using/...irections.html


AMPAS

Highlights of the library's collection may be viewed online. The Academy's permanent collection contains more than 10 million photographs, 180,000 film and video assets, 80,000 screenplays, 50,000 posters, 20,000 production and costume design drawings, and 1,400 special collections: http://www.oscars.org/collection-highlights

Three shots from the James Dean Collection:






pix: AMPAS

Last edited by tovangar2; Jun 14, 2015 at 12:43 AM. Reason: restore photo
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10458  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 8:39 AM
ProphetM ProphetM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here are two 1950s slides I found on ebay earlier in the year.



I am struck by this dashing young couple. Are they about to be married at City Hall?
The location (a small verdant patch near an overpass ) seems quite odd.




below: The companion slide.



A little dog with multiple little hats (infrastructure in the background).

Anyone have an idea where these slides were taken? I've tried to figure it out for quite some time.
__
That looks like the overpass at Huntington Dr./Mission Rd./Soto St., which was a Pacific Electric route, hence the stairs.

I was there in fall 2011 when I drove all of Route 66 in LA, but I read that the overpass was going to be be torn down - has that happened already?

Google Street View link.

The property at 4241 Huntington is a sort of terraced affair, with a garage building at the street, on a lower level than the house behind it. A small yard sits between the garage and the house. So the slides look to have been taken looking from the house towards the front yard, with the black roof of the garage visible behind the people.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10459  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 3:55 PM
Godzilla Godzilla is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 597
Church and house on Hollywood Blvd, ca. 1905 Cross street is either Ivar or Cherokee. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=7267

1907
lapl

East on Hollywood Blvd from Cherokee. Source marks image as '55, more likely circa '24, as indicated on second image.
lapl


1930 - 6646 Hollywood Blvd. - Cherokee Building
CalStLib

Hollywood and Cherokee apartments, 1937 (?) Assume complex is north of Hollywood Blvd.
lapl

1937 - NW corner Hollywood and Cherokee
lapl

USC Digital
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10460  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 3:55 PM
Godzilla Godzilla is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 597
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:36 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.