HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 4:18 PM

Quote:
One major concern is that the rough underbelly of the stands will be exposed to the street, when city’s guidelines require the stands to be enclosed.
I don't understand - isn't the underside of the cureent south stand exposed?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 4:23 PM
Concerned Citizen

[QUOTE=FrankieFlowerpot;5924684]I don't understand - isn't the underside of the cureent south stand exposed?

That grandstand is 60 years old and would have be grandfathered under the new guidelines. The city has guidelines for new construction within the city.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 4:26 PM

I'd be curious to see what those are

Edit: found them

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 4:28 PM
It's Hammer Time

You are allowed to have it enclosed over the sidewalk. That's what Harry Stinson is doing with the Hamilton Grand.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Hamilt...=12,107.1,,0,0

Having it over the street probably means there will be steel beams somewhere along the sidewalk to support the deck.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 5:54 PM

Removal trucks were there this weekend

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 8:42 PM

Well the last comment in the Spec article shows promise for design improvements: "City staff say Ontario Sports Solutions must satisfy all the outstanding design issues before they’ll receive a building permit".

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 9:12 PM

So it looks like City of Hamilton staff did see the three proposed designs for the stadium – as outlined here in these minutes from March 2012 - on Page 4

Why weren't these issues raised then?

http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/...ecinct_Sub.pdf

Quote:
Chair Ferguson asked if Councillors would get to review all three designs.

Mr. McKendrick indicated that City of Hamilton staff have seen all three designs and if there was a desire to sign the confidentiality agreement they councillors could also review the three designs.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 9:16 PM
It's Hammer Time

Apparently they did a mock up for the stadium in the West Harbour and "looks like a much more futuristic design" UGH!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Apparently they did a mock up for the stadium in the West Harbour and "looks like a much more futuristic design" UGH!
They were talking about this design - there was no mockup

Quote:
Brad Clark asks Johnston if he's seen the design mock-up for the west harbour. "It just looks like a much more futuristic design."
Quote:
"The stadium in the west harbour was a considerably different site that allowed for a different approach to be taken," Johnston said

Last edited by FrankieFlowerpot; Dec 4, 2012 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 9:35 PM

Tweets from Emma Reilly of the Spec

Quote:
Councillors have asked staff to come back with the final designs for one last look before approval is granted
Quote:
But since council delegated its authority to staff for privacy reasons, they won't have any control over the final design

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 11:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

So basically majority of council just wants them to cover up the steel beams. No exposed underbelly and have a solid facade. What's that gonna cost? An extra million? Just do it, there's like an extra $30 million cushion.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 2:43 PM

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 3:37 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

This really isn't a bad looking stadium... even with the "exposed underbelly" it isn't that bad. Some screening will fix the aesthetic issues in a hurry.

The size of the facility is still underwhelming, though. Considering that in the 1970s, Ivor Wynne Stadium held 34,500 fans, this feels like a big step backward for the league and the city. I realize that the capacity is a consideration driven by the bean-counters involved in the exercise, but from a fan standpoint it's too bad that they couldn't have found a way to increase the capacity to 30,000 fans by adding permanent seats in one endzone and giving the facility a horseshoe layout.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This really isn't a bad looking stadium... even with the "exposed underbelly" it isn't that bad. Some screening will fix the aesthetic issues in a hurry.

The size of the facility is still underwhelming, though. Considering that in the 1970s, Ivor Wynne Stadium held 34,500 fans, this feels like a big step backward for the league and the city. I realize that the capacity is a consideration driven by the bean-counters involved in the exercise, but from a fan standpoint it's too bad that they couldn't have found a way to increase the capacity to 30,000 fans by adding permanent seats in one endzone and giving the facility a horseshoe layout.
I think that is one area where better communcations, there will be less seats but the stadium will actually be bigger (I think I heard Bob Young mention it will be twice as big). All that space is taken up with wider seats, more legroom, more aisle, more concessions etc.

I think a lot of people when they hear less seat they think smaller stadium in size as well.

They needed in the video to show it compared to Ivor Wynne to give it some scale or maybe scale models of the two besides each other.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 4:00 PM
It's Hammer Time

Pan American Stadium | 40m | ? | Approved -> Pan American Stadium | 40m | ? | Under Construction

They are demolishing Ivor Wynne.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 5:00 AM

Pan Am has our b*lls in a sling. Nothin' we can do about it now. Oh well, no one to blame but ourselves, I suppose.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 12:12 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

THe new presentation with a tad bit more detail was a bit better. But what concerns me is that south promenade area looks good in concept, I don't know how they are going to keep non-ticket holders people out of the stadium without erecting chain link fencing everywhere and ruining the whole concept. Unless that south side "concept" is elevated this is going to be the easiest stadium to just walk into without tickets, where's all the chain link fencing in the renderings? This is Hamilton, we need our prison-like Frost® fences.

It also looks expensive for the City of Hamilton to give a crap about the upkeep. You know Hamilton loves its low maintenance cracked ashphalt look. Flower beds and flagpoles are a bit much to ask for maintenance.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 9:02 PM

There is a fence there - all those people on the "plaza" are inside the stadium.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 1:08 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

[QUOTE=FrankieFlowerpot;5925137]

I don't see a fence, I see two arches that you can just walk through off Canon. I don't even see the field goal nets. That south promenade imo has not been thought through. End zone seats would be better.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 1:11 AM
Hammer'd

I think theres actually a "glass wall" between those pillars but I'm not sure if that would act as a fence as you're referring to it as. Given the Canadian climate, an outdoor glass wall would be a really dumb idea anyway.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton