HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 10:25 PM

I added both of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
Great work, I love it! Don't forget:

1. The (apartment/condos) under construction on 13th South between the KFC/A&W and The Dodo

2. The condos under construction near the Irving Schoolhouse (I don't know the exact location) by the developer of Urbana on 11th.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
Awesome! There's also.

1. Phase 2 of Artspace 400 west 900 south.

2. Development at 200 west 900 south.
I added the 200 W 900 S, I believe that is a coffee shop with some residential above if I remember correctly.

Is phase 2 of artspace the artspace commons at 824 W 400 S? Or is it something different?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 11:42 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Thanks guys. That really helps me get a much better idea to where everything is going. And I have to say.....WOW. Sugarhouse is truly at a housing building boom right now. Just think what that area will look like in five years....even two years from now with all these mid-rises popping up everywhere. I think I would like to see maybe a building or two in that area at around 10-12 stories. Nothing higher then that.
Also while on this subject we ( my family ) went by there the other day and notice two things.
1. There is a new 4-5 story apartment building that I swear just came out of nowhere since I've never seen it before just north of 2100 south. I believe it's the Gardiner LLC Apartment Complex. That went up fast.
2. The sugar-hole is way deeper now. In fact it looks like the digging part is done and crews are now working on the foundation. That building is going to make a big impact. ( hopefully in a good way ) to the area.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 6:11 PM

Sugarhouse Developments

I take a lot of walks in Sugarhouse, but this past Sunday I brought my camera with me to snap some pics of all the developments springing up. It has been very exciting to see long dormant plans finally coming to fruition. With the streetcar line well under-construction, it looks like Sugarhouse is poised for a major renewal! Here's the view from the ground:

Some Sugarhouse fabric:

The debacle of the Sugar-hole is finally underway! Demolition commenced in January of 2008, for those keeping track, to much community discontent. The project seemed ill-fated, delayed for years through the recession. The Sugar-hole was filled, and now excavated again, building finally underway!

The Granite Furniture redevelopment is well underway in its first phase. It has been an intricate process, as they uncovered the old buildings under the mid-century facades. I was really digging the old brick on the building along McClelland Street, but I guess it wasn't feasible to save; they covered it with a concrete facade, now installing a brick veneer over that. The building will be practically new, they also removed all of the old roof. The taller building on 2100 South is still the old brick. The Granite Furniture sign still hasn't been touched:

Future phases:

The Cowboy Partners site. They just put in for their building permits:

A deserted Deseret Industries:

The Wilmington Gardens site. Very, very close to obtaining permits. I believe the developer of this project is still planning on a second phase across the street:

Hidden Hollow:

Westminster on the Draw, Westminster College student housing. Students are living there now, nothing open in the retail spaces yet, but I heard Wingnutz was reopening there:

21 and View:

The Redman Building. Still looks vacant to me:

Apartments on 1200 East. I am not sure what they are calling this yet, but it's being done by the same developer that did the Urbana on 11th:

Street car construction at McClelland Street, end of the line for the time being:

At 800 East:

That's all folks! The fire-damaged McDonald's on 2100 South has finally been torn down. Between that and the boarded up Au Naturale restaurant, the area near 900 East has been looking a little worse for wear. I would have taken a picture, but they are only replacing it with another McDonald's.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 6:49 PM

Great photo update, thank you! I love me some Sugarhouse, and am very interested in what's going on down there.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 8:08 PM

Nice update

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 9:18 PM

Thanks for the great update! I can't wait for all of those to be built, especially Wilmington Gardens, Sugarhole, and the Granite development.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 2:56 AM

Thanks for the great update jmonkey. I've been waiting anxiously for a Sugar House update like this for a while now.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 11:08 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Another new development has popped up in Sugarhouse.

24 and 9
Just south of I-80 on 900 East, directly across from Forest Dale Golf Course. They are 3 Townhomes at 1,800 sf with a price of $270,000

Images from City Home Collective.

http://cityhomecollective.com/blog/2...ale-salt-lake/

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 12:20 AM

I don't like that design at all.

On another note, I hope you're right about the Wilmington Gardens site jmonkey! It boggles my mind how that has stayed vacant for so long. I'm pretty sure that area was vacant when I moved here in 1995, or at least since shortly after that. Amazing because I would think it's in a good location.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 1:37 PM

Update, as of November 19, 2012 - Granite Furniture Block Project is delayed

http://sugarhouse.fox13now.com/news/...roject-delayed

www.mysugarhousejournal.com

SALT LAKE CITY – It was once known as the most eclectic part of
Sugar House, but it’s been an eyesore for nearly 5 years. Now another
big blow for the historic part of town, where restaurants were hoping
to make their debut just in time for the holidays.

The Granite Furniture Block project isn’t far from what many refer to
as the “Sugar Hole.” They are two different projects, but one big
headache for everyone involved.

“It has impacted me,” says Susan Jarvis, who has been at Rockwood
Art Studio along 2100 South and 1300 East since 2001. “At first when
they tore everything down there was a mass exodus of artists from
the building.”

Jarvis managed to survive, but for merchants like Debbie Valline, it’s not
as easy.

“One of the reasons why we moved here was because of the additional
foot traffic,” Valline said.

Valline came to Local Colors of Utah a year ago, hoping the old building
next door would be done by now.

“They were originally going to be open for December for the
holiday shopping,” but she also understands it was a huge
undertaking.

Since construction started at the historic Granite Furniture Building
in July, “Parking is a little bit challenging” says Laurie Bray, who helps run
the Sugar House Santa Shack. The sidewalk was also closed, but part of
it was reopened late last week.

Mark Isaac, who is the Project Manager for Granite Furniture Block owned
by Sugar House Development says, “It took a long time for us to
surgically demo the interior to decide how much of the old bones we
could actually save.”

He says the delay has a lot to do with preserving the integrity of the
historic building.

“We had some design changes, design review delays which was actually it’s
a positive for our community because the city is busy, there’s a lot of
plans into review and the city is so busy they were behind, our reviews
took a long time.”

Isaac says if you’re patient, the finished project will be something
Sugar House can finally boast about.

“We have a burger restaurant opening, slated for January 16th. We have
a really really cool pizza and wine bar concept that will open at the end
of January.”

A bakery, a local coffee shop along with other restaurants and office
space will fill the 71,000-square-foot building.

The project is behind schedule by about three months, but Isaac says
people can look forward to seeing the historic sign at Granite light up
again. In less than two weeks, people driving by will get an idea as to who
is actually moving in.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 1:49 PM

Jordan and Salt Lake Canal in Sugar House being repaired

My SugarHouseJournal.com

By Deborah Moore - 16 days ago

photo by Laurie

A major repair and relocation of the Jordan and Salt Lake Canal is planned for the beginning of 2013. Salt Lake City Public Utilities will advertise bids in November and choose the lowest one submitted by a qualified contractor.

The repairs will include work on the alley east of Fiddlers Elbow at 1063 East 2100 South. The alley will be torn up to access a portion of the Jordan and Salk Lake Canal pipe that runs under the alleyway. Repairs will not affect the street and traffic.

Photography by Laurie (formerly located at 1064 East 2100 South) used to have issues with water seeping into the building. The canal is going to be moved out from under that building and replaced with a new section of pipe.

“It was like a lake,” said Laurie Bray, whose business floor was flooded in 2009. She had to complain to Salt Lake City a few times before it was able to reduce the flow of the canal by shutting off water coming from Parley’s and Emigration Creek.

“We’ve patched up portions of the pipe, but it doesn’t seem to stick,” said Salt Lake Public Utilities Project Manager Bernard Mo.

The canal on the south side of 2100 South will also be moved and replaced to get it out from under buildings. Property owners have already done a lot of the work.

Craig Mecham moved the southern end of the canal in January 2011 so that he could proceed with the Mecham Development on the corner of 2100 South Highland Drive.

This year, Boulder Ventures, the company that purchased the Granite Furniture parcel, replaced old water lines under the street in October. Cowboy Partners Properties will be replacing its water lines under McClelland as it moves forward with construction on its apartment complex.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 9:05 PM

Re-furbished Granite Furniture sign

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 10:34 PM

Here is a new multi-family development in Sugarhouse that I took some photos of. It is just directly east of the Irving Junior High apartments.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 5:19 PM

Thanks for those great pics Orlando. I like these buildings and especially their material finish. They have the look of vintage loft/warehousing. Very nice!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 8:40 AM

My girlfriend just got a job at the new pizza place opening up in the old Granite Furniture building. Good to see things finally picking up for them.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 4:43 PM

Sugarhouse Update, January 6, 2013. A very cold, smoggy and disgusting day to take pictures. But I got a new little camera for Christmas, and I am excited to play with it and see what it can do; it is much, much better than the old I have been using. Development in Sugarhouse continues to plow along; the Granite Furniture block is almost ready for business, and the Sugarhole is finally well underway! Streetcar tracks await finishing touches. Once things thaw in the spring, we will see another big burst of building in this neighborhood!

Street scenes:

The Sugarhole. The North end of the hole has some substantial foundation work already done, but it seems like they may still be excavating in the center of the pit.

The Granite Furniture Block. Exterior work is wrapping up it seems, and barricades are coming down. The Granite Furniture sign has been redone. Interior work is well underway on the northwest corner, and The Habit Burger Grill on the southwest corner is almost ready to open. The restaurant is furnished, and was full of new employees, training and putting on the finishing touches. The interior spaces between the two still have a lot of work. Many of the entrances along McClelland Street still walk directly into sub-flooring. This building has been a very complicated renovation. I am a little surprised they didn't just tear it down and start over, but the final result is looking really good!

The old Granite Furniture parking lot has now been blocked off and left unplowed. This is the site of the Cowboy Partners project, soon to be underway!

That's all for this update. It was just too cold to continue to other spots to take more pictures, and I didn't really want to inhale any more smog either! Hopefully the next set of pics I take will have brilliant blue sky and clean air!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 10:28 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Very Nice update jmonkey, the new camera works great.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 11:29 PM
They all float down here

Hm...are they going to change the color of the Granite Furniture Block? Because that concrete look is just awful.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 4:44 AM
farmerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
Hm...are they going to change the color of the Granite Furniture Block? Because that concrete look is just awful.
Agreed! I'm confused why they kept the historic structure intact if they're just going to gut it and cover the exterior with concrete. It seems like it defeats the purpose.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West