HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > SSP: Local Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

    Nova Centre Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram
            
View Full Map

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3301  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 7:11 PM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,325
I was suppose to be out Christmas shopping but ended up just walking around taking pictures of construction. The Nova Centre site is quite loud with lots of activity. The two drill trucks are almost done driving piles for the wall, and three smaller tracked directional drill rigs are working on the wall in addition to all the excavators moving material. Photos by me:





Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3302  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 1:53 PM
DigitalNinja DigitalNinja is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 807
Hasn't been a post in this in almost a month.

Blasting is set to begin on January 16th! And according to the sign that I saw should last for about 7 months. That's a lot of earth moved!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3303  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 2:03 PM
Jstaleness's Avatar
Jstaleness Jstaleness is offline
Jelly Bean Sandwich
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 1,313
Is anyone aware of the warning system being used here? This morning I heard what I thought was 3 boat horns followed by a loud blast. I assumed it came from there but I am used to the traditional higher pitch warning system.
__________________
I can't hear you with my eyes closed
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3304  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 4:49 PM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Is anyone aware of the warning system being used here? This morning I heard what I thought was 3 boat horns followed by a loud blast. I assumed it came from there but I am used to the traditional higher pitch warning system.
Thats the system they are using, horns that is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3305  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 1:16 PM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,627
Looking at the webcam - http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/hal...struction.html , they seem to making good headway on the excavation. Hopefully this will be well underway prior to the next provincial election. I wouldn't want this project to become a political football. I will be relieved once the footings start being poured and a crane is on site (any predictions on the first crane? - I am guessing June).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3306  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 3:45 AM
SekishikiMeikaiHa's Avatar
SekishikiMeikaiHa SekishikiMeikaiHa is offline
積屍氣冥界波
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 401
A beehive of activity:
__________________
積屍氣冥界波
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3307  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 10:48 PM
Jstaleness's Avatar
Jstaleness Jstaleness is offline
Jelly Bean Sandwich
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 1,313
I was down here this evening to have a pita. It was good to see them working on a late Saturday afternoon.
__________________
I can't hear you with my eyes closed
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3308  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 11:43 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,703
Thanks for the updates. Definitely an impressive construction site.

There's been some talk of putting up tall hoardings (~3 storeys, I guess on the Argyle side) to cut down on noise and dust.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3309  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 11:50 PM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,325
They are really making good progress, photos can't really do it justice, it is a huge site. I noticed today that all the green material on the fence that obscured the view of the site is now gone.

Last edited by kph06; Feb 3, 2013 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Horrendous English
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3310  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 2:03 AM
haligonia's Avatar
haligonia haligonia is offline
Urban Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Thanks for the updates. Definitely an impressive construction site.

There's been some talk of putting up tall hoardings (~3 storeys, I guess on the Argyle side) to cut down on noise and dust.
I think this is a good idea, especially considering the number of patios that will be opening across the street in a few months.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3311  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 7:31 PM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,325
Does anyone know why Ace Towing has a crane down there with a balloon on it?

Webcam link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3312  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 8:49 PM
scooby074 scooby074 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Does anyone know why Ace Towing has a crane down there with a balloon on it?

Webcam link
I dont think that was a balloon. In the pic I saw it looked like a work basket. Probably was being used during setup of the crane.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3313  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 9:51 PM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby074 View Post
I dont think that was a balloon. In the pic I saw it looked like a work basket. Probably was being used during setup of the crane.
I drove by one the way home, definitely a red balloon with flags up the rope attached to the top of the boom, there was some sort of basket on the hook. Odd that the crane is gone now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3314  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 10:19 PM
bluenoser's Avatar
bluenoser bluenoser is offline
hi
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 453
If you look at the 24 hour history on the webcam link, it definitely looks like a balloon (not visible in the capture below). The only thing I can think of is some sort of shadow test, since it was up in the late afternoon. Maybe the crane was supposed to represent the planned tower since it was fully extended vertically, and the balloon could have been to add the extra height to reach the equivalent of 16 floors? That's a complete guess.


http://history.novascotiawebcams.com...re/3-16-11.jpg
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3315  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 4:15 AM
scooby074 scooby074 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I drove by one the way home, definitely a red balloon with flags up the rope attached to the top of the boom, there was some sort of basket on the hook. Odd that the crane is gone now.
Interesting. I gave a scan through the webcam history and saw no balloon, just the basket. Was the balloon floating above the boom, like it was filled with helium?

Im curious myself what they were up to.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3316  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 6:33 AM
HaliStreaks's Avatar
HaliStreaks HaliStreaks is offline
Brony extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Halifax
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby074 View Post
Interesting. I gave a scan through the webcam history and saw no balloon, just the basket. Was the balloon floating above the boom, like it was filled with helium?

Im curious myself what they were up to.
I didn't see it myself, but looking at the picture posted above, at the very tippy top of the crane, where the greyish bar is with the time on it, you can see the little flags going up, I guess it was on top lol

Edit: Went back in the cam history, I was curious to see this myself lol



Everyone knows, a balloon tied to a mobile crane is the international symbol for "party overr heeeeere"

Last edited by HaliStreaks; Feb 7, 2013 at 6:42 AM. Reason: stuff & things
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3317  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 1:00 PM
q12's Avatar
q12 q12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
I didn't see it myself, but looking at the picture posted above, at the very tippy top of the crane, where the greyish bar is with the time on it, you can see the little flags going up, I guess it was on top lol

Edit: Went back in the cam history, I was curious to see this myself lol



Everyone knows, a balloon tied to a mobile crane is the international symbol for "party overr heeeeere"


I tried zooming in on the balllon and enhancing the imagine, and I found this...



He doesn't know when to quit.

http://www.thecoast.ca/RealityBites/...vention-centre
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3318  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 4:06 PM
worldlyhaligonian's Avatar
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
we built this city
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,121
That guy devalues The Coast and simply has no integrity / real journalism to offer. What a clown. This is going to happen, he's irrelevant, and quite frankly should take his opinions elsewhere to real issues.

Its funny, those who talk about the allocation of tax dollars... don't really pay into it!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3319  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 4:27 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
That guy devalues The Coast and simply has no integrity / real journalism to offer. What a clown. This is going to happen, he's irrelevant, and quite frankly should take his opinions elsewhere to real issues.

Its funny, those who talk about the allocation of tax dollars... don't really pay into it!
Worldly; is what he is saying untrue, or is he reporting facts? If they are facts then I find them quite intriguing. Since he writes for the COAST, he can write what he wants, since I pick up the COAST, I can choose to read it. If you find him irrelevant, why do you continue to seek out what he writes? inquiring minds needs to know.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3320  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 4:34 PM
scooby074 scooby074 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post


I tried zooming in on the balllon and enhancing the imagine, and I found this...


Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
   
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > SSP: Local Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:44 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.