HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 9:15 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Awesome news. I've never had and I'm excited to try!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A.I.L. View Post
So I just got back from buying a second fridge at the old Mexicalis. And found out from the owner of the building it's now rented out. The works are moving innandwillnbe open by the beginning of may woo hoo!!!
Is that the George Street location?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Is that the George Street location?
Yes it is

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Yes it is
Very nice! Like I mentioned before, I've eaten there a few times and really enjoyed it; it'll be a great addition to the downtown restaurant scene.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 10:43 PM

Did the Canton close? What happened to Virginia Park Plaza? It seems like a ghost town now.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspinK View Post
Did the Canton close? What happened to Virginia Park Plaza? It seems like a ghost town now.
Being converted to condos.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...-move-610.html

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
So... Did the Canton reopen anywhere else? It was really the best Chinese in St. John's...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 2:33 PM

Quote:
So... Did the Canton reopen anywhere else? It was really the best Chinese in St. John's...
I honestly don't know. I have never eaten there. I had meant to, as I have heard many people say it was excellent chinese food. Maybe you can try calling the phone number they had??

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 2:49 PM

Quote:
I honestly don't know. I have never eaten there. I had meant to, as I have heard many people say it was excellent chinese food. Maybe you can try calling the phone number they had??
I did. And there was no answer. Sad time.

On a different note. A buddy and myself had a late lunch at The Club and is was exceptionally delish. Everything on my plate was made in house (including the bacon and hamburger bun). It was probably the freshest tasting meal I've had in St. John's to date. All around great experience.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:27 PM

Quote:
I did. And there was no answer. Sad time.

On a different note. A buddy and myself had a late lunch at The Club and is was exceptionally delish. Everything on my plate was made in house (including the bacon and hamburger bun). It was probably the freshest tasting meal I've had in St. John's to date. All around great experience.
I just checked the Scope website, and there are talks of it relocating to Ropewalk Lane. But, doesn't look like that has happened yet....

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:28 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Ooh, I will definitely have to try The Club.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 10:24 PM

Kelsey Drive February 3 in front of Staples/Dollarama. New Swiss Chalet restaurant and Bank I think.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 10:52 PM

Nice! I think it's about time there was more development on Kelsey, it kind of stalled there for a while. Hate to think that they tried to make another big box development and have it fail

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 3:34 PM

Quote:
So I just got back from buying a second fridge at the old Mexicalis. And found out from the owner of the building it's now rented out. The works are moving innandwillnbe open by the beginning of may woo hoo!!!
is that another gourmet burger place? Nothing against the place but I pass by Relish and unless its 12-1 that place seems to be completely empty. Is there enough demand for highend burger places in this town?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwspencer38 View Post
is that another gourmet burger place? Nothing against the place but I pass by Relish and unless its 12-1 that place seems to be completely empty. Is there enough demand for highend burger places in this town?
Relish is ok, but it isn't an exceptional place to eat (I feel it was overhyped).

The Works, most likely going into at least part of the old Mexi's location, will be interesting. That location has had a few failing restaurants now, although the new building going up nearby might help their lunch traffic. I don't remember them being opened late, but they might try to get some George St traffic...

I've been to The Works in Kingston and the place was flat out. Very busy, and very good food. To compare it to Relish... Relish is AAA Baseball and The Works is Major League...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 4:21 PM

I don't doubt it is a better place, I just find that very specific places like that don't tend to do overly well here simply because the traffic isn't large enough to drive sales. Hope it does well but I guess we will have to see. I'm not sure what the prices are like at The Works but $15 + for a burger doesn't really cut it for a lot of people I know, even if the burger is amazing.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwspencer38 View Post
I don't doubt it is a better place, I just find that very specific places like that don't tend to do overly well here simply because the traffic isn't large enough to drive sales. Hope it does well but I guess we will have to see. I'm not sure what the prices are like at The Works but $15 + for a burger doesn't really cut it for a lot of people I know, even if the burger is amazing.
You know what... You're right.

I looked around online and a dinner for four at The Works (with one beer, and three sodas) was about $90... So that puts it inline with Relish.

Should be interesting to see how they do...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 3:05 PM

Just to be picky here The Club restaurant is not in the old Peter Belbin's space. That is now occupied by a yoga studio. The Club replaced the Simplicity Restaurant that was on the corner and not affiliated with the former Peter Belbin's.

Quote:
Thought I would create this to take the restaurant discussion out of the Retail thread. Please post any rumours or reviews of any restaurants in this thread.

Anyways, a few new restaurants to mention:

1. The old Magnum and Steins is now called 'Saltwater'.
2. The old Cellar is now called 'St. John's Chophouse'.
3. There is a new place called 'The Reluctant Chef' next to Basho.
4. 'The Club' is now open in the former Peter Belbins location on Duckworth.

I haven't tried any of these yet but really hoping to try out 'The Club' in the next little while. Really sounds like my kind of place (Steak and Beer).

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 5:05 PM

This may not fully align with this thread, but I noticed a building going up next to the Ultramar on the highway in Whitbourne. There's two drive-thru windows so I'm assuming it'll be two restaurants. Anyone have any idea what's going there?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 5:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
This may not fully align with this thread, but I noticed a building going up next to the Ultramar on the highway in Whitbourne. There's two drive-thru windows so I'm assuming it'll be two restaurants. Anyone have any idea what's going there?
Perhaps we are getting a Tim's Double Drive, they are popular on the mainland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's