HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > SSP: Local Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 12:25 AM
It's Hammer Time

St. Joe’s chooses West 5th Campus project builder

Nicole O’Reilly
http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...roject-builder

St. Joseph’s Healthcare has selected who will design, build and maintain a new mental illness and addiction facility at the hospital.

Plenary Health has been chosen as the preferred proponent to construct the West 5th Campus project that will include 305 beds, expanded outpatient psychiatric clinics and research space.

Financing is expected to close in December, and the project’s costs will be announced thereafter.

The Plenary Health team includes Plenary Group, Innisfree as developer, design by Cannon Design, construction by PCL Construction Canada, facilities management by Honeywell, and Royal Bank of Canada as financial adviser.

The project is expected to be completed in 2014.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 5:31 PM

The Plenary Group has made some nice looking buildings in the past. Hopefully they make a nice looking St. Joes.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 3:39 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 3:41 PM
It's Hammer Time

St Joseph's Healthcare · Centre for Mountain Health Services | ? | ? | Planning -> St Joseph's Healthcare · Centre for Mountain Health Services | ? | ? | U/C

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 12:32 AM
Urban Fanactic

Two cranes are up on the site. Saw them on Saturday and again today from the 403 at Cootes Paradise.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 11:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

Five cranes

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 8:50 PM
Urban Fanactic

Here is an update from Mohawk College's A-Wing.

Pictures by me from Nov 4.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 10:28 PM

Thanks for posting all these pics Dwils.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 7:18 PM
Urban Fanactic

There was a big machine on the west side of the site today. It's used to assemble and take down cranes so I don't know if we will be losing a crane at this site.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 9:46 PM
Urban Fanactic

Here's some pics that I took on Friday.

I would of did an update of downtown construction projects today but someone decided it would be a good idea to hit my car. Now I'm car less and have to travel 700km to get back home for christmas.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 6:56 PM
Urban Fanactic

St. Joseph's Healthcare Centre for Mountain Health Services

Pictures by me from today.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 8:26 PM
Urban Fanactic

Here's some pictures I took from Mohawk College's A-Wing on March 23.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 8:47 PM

St. Joseph Healthcare Hamilton Recognized with Citation of Merit from Behavioral Healthcare

http://www.cannondesign.com/news/fir...zed-with-cita/

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 1:16 AM

Photo Update

Source: My Photos

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 1:33 AM

Found this video of the new hospital:

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 7:50 PM
Urban Fanactic

St. Joseph's Centre for Mountain Health Services at Fennell Avenue West and West 5th Street.

Pictures by me.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 3:00 AM

Construction Update

Source: hamiltonecdev

300 seat auditorium:

Atrium:

Every inpatient servery looks out onto a courtyard:

Each inpatient unit has access to a courtyard:

Inpatient room for one, rather than up to four at the current site:

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 3:27 AM

If I ever get that sick, I NEED to have a private room, no excuses. I'll go to St. Joseph's.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 8:33 PM

Final touches to new west Mountain hospital
(Hamilton Mountain News, Mark Newman, Nov 8 2013)

In the works for more than a decade, work St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton’s new $581 million mental health hospital at Fennell and West 5th is 95 percent complete.

“We’re on budget and on schedule,” said Theresa Reynolds, project director at St. Joes, who noted the healthcare organization will take possession of the hospital from the contractor four weeks from today (Friday) on Dec. 6.

Patients from the former Hamilton Psychiatric Hospital next door are slated to move in on Feb 9 after a nearly two-month staff transition and training period.
“We’re mostly done inside,” said Reynolds, who noted final painting, electrical and landscaping work is now being done.

The landscaping work includes 16 courtyards around the hospital and a pedestrian plaza at West 5th and Fennell.

Hospital equipment, including the MRI machinery, has been installed over the last several months.

Reynolds noted the massive magnet for the MRI was lowered into the basement level by crane through a large hole on the Fennell side of the hospital about three weeks ago.

In addition to in and out-patient mental health services, the state-of-the-art hospital will provide community diagnostic services such as MRI, breast imaging, x-ray and ultrasound.

The five storey, 855,000 square-foot hospital will be able to accommodate up to 305 in patients, compared to 214 beds at the current mental health facility.
All but three of those rooms are for single patients and each room will have an en-suite bathroom featuring a hands-free no-tap sink that is operated by a motion sensor.

The new hospital will also have four apartment units that will be home to patients who are under a 30-day assessment to see if they are capable of looking after themselves including doing their own cooking, cleaning and shopping prior to being discharged and those units will be supervised by hospital nursing staff.

Patients will be able to use the 5,860 square-foot gymnasium on the second floor which also features a mall-like corridor that includes an activity room, used clothing store, salon and coffee shop.

The gymnasium, like much of the new hospital, features large windows for natural light.

Reynolds noted the new campus will be a teaching facility with five meeting rooms and a 300-seat auditorium for lectures and conferences.

The new hospital, to be officially known as the Margaret and Charles Juravinski Centre for Integrated Healthcare in recognition of the couple’s $10 million gift to a St. Joes’ fundraising campaign in 2011, will include a museum featuring the history of mental health services in Hamilton.

Starting next spring the former HPH buildings will be torn down to make way for more parking.

In addition, new baseball diamonds, tennis courts, soccer fields and walking paths are slated for the north side of the 55-acre site that will be available to patients and the public.

All of the work is expected to be wrapped by the fall of 2014.

Reynolds said the old Century Manor building on the site, which belongs to Infrastructure Ontario, will be preserved.

As many as 900 people are expected to work at the new hospital over the next few years, including about 500 staff currently working at the old facility.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 3:33 AM

I drove by today and saw that Gate View (pictured below) was just demolished. It was built in 1877 as a staff residence for the original hospital that was on the site...

Source

Demolition of the old hospital is well underway too.

Anyone know if the demolition of Grove Hall has started yet? Total shame... I hope it hasn't and it can still be saved...

Source

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > SSP: Local Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton