HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I believe it's the proximity to the railway overpass that provides the constraint to what can be done for acceleration & deceleration lanes at the main entrance to Warman. The south entrance is actually much better with a sufficiently long acceleration lane (unfortunately not all drivers seem to know how to use it, but that's a different rant). Without work to the overpass, I question how much improvement we're going to be able to gain at the main entrance.

The Waneskewin intersection has a horrific record of serious collisions and fatalities. I believe that most of the issues there stem from the long lineup of traffic waiting to turn from highway 11 southbound to Waneskewin eastbound. Traffic on Waneskewin Road trying to head west across highway 11 can't see the ongoing southbound traffic until they are in the path of it. As a twice a day commuter through that intersection, I don't want to see traffic lights there, but I think that may well be the solution until an overpass is constructed to suit whatever the configuration is of the future perimeter road and north bridge. Currently I proceed with added caution through that intersection. Traffic lights will add some time to the commute, but if that's what it takes to reduce the carnage, then so be it.
my thoughts exactly, on both locations. Hwy11 & Central St/Ferry rd could use proper merge ramps and overpass over the highway. For Waneskewin it's too bad they can't just tunnel under the freeway to eliminate vehicles having to cross lanes on the highway, traffic signal will cause congestion, but it is worse to lose even one more life there.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 3:40 PM

Councillor voices concern about possible 'core' bridge impact

By Phil Tank, The Starphoenix
July 19, 2013 8:24 AM

A Saskatoon city councillor is concerned that studies for a new "core" bridge could recommend a span connecting to a residential area. City council has awarded a $1.5-million contract to consulting firm Urban Systems to develop and implement the city's integrated growth plan, which includes infilling residential population along rapid transit routes, as well as looking at the possible need for a new bridge.

The core bridge strategy is intended to "identify and assess alternatives, impacts and associated land uses for future river crossing capacity within Circle Drive," but does not identify a location.

"I wouldn't want to see another river crossing punched right through the middle of two residential neighbourhoods," Ward 1 Coun. Darren Hill said Thursday.

Hill said he is "fearful" of a plan that might connect to the City Park or North Park areas, which lie on the west side of the South Saskatchewan River between the railway bridge and the University Bridge. [...]

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/C...747/story.html

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm310 View Post
Councillor voices concern about possible 'core' bridge impact

July 19, 2013 8:24 AM

A Saskatoon city councillor is concerned that studies for a new "core" bridge could recommend a span connecting to a residential area. City council has awarded a $1.5-million contract to consulting firm Urban Systems to develop and implement the city's integrated growth plan, which includes infilling residential population along rapid transit routes, as well as looking at the possible need for a new bridge.

The core bridge strategy is intended to "identify and assess alternatives, impacts and associated land uses for future river crossing capacity within Circle Drive," but does not identify a location.

"I wouldn't want to see another river crossing punched right through the middle of two residential neighbourhoods," Ward 1 Coun. Darren Hill said Thursday.

Hill said he is "fearful" of a plan that might connect to the City Park or North Park areas, which lie on the west side of the South Saskatchewan River between the railway bridge and the University Bridge. [...]

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/C...747/story.html
I agree with Darren Hill that it would be a mistake to build a bridge in the area between the university bridge and railway bridge, although perhaps it would work to replace the train bridge with a bridge that only allowed a rapid transit bus route that would then continue up 33rd Street.

Really, though, the city should start to rethink its plans to continually expand to the east while most work places are on the west. At the rate the city is expanding, there is no way they will be able to keep up with the increase commuters just by building new (and very expensive) bridges. I think more and more people will find Martensville and Warman to be attractive options.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 6:40 PM

Just as an addition to my last post, a replacement train bridge would still have to allow rail traffic as well as a bus route, unless the railway is finally moved out side of the city.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentview View Post
I've heard a rumor about the front portion (recently demo'd) being turned into a small coffee shop/bistro with access to a rooftop patio!
I Spoke with the brothers who own Escape recently and they confirmed that their sister in law is doing that for sometime next year. They are rebuilding that spot on the building as it was way to exspensive just to renovate it.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
No. No it doesn't.

I'd take 5 Starbucks and a couple Second Cups over 1000 Starbucks. Second Cup > Starbucks.
Actually. Actually, I think you missed my point.

I am indifferent to Starbucks and Second Cup, as they are both chains. My point was that Regina has its coffee "chain" (Second Cup) and Saskatoon has its coffee "chain" (Starbucks). It looks like Second Cup may be trying to make inroads in the Saskatoon market.

In my opinion, people who are really serious about their coffee in Saskatoon frequent the independent coffee houses like Collective Coffee (that serves Intelligentsia), The Underground (that serves Transcend) or Museo (that serves its own superb roast).

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
Actually. Actually, I think you missed my point.

I am indifferent to Starbucks and Second Cup, as they are both chains. My point was that Regina has its coffee "chain" (Second Cup) and Saskatoon has its coffee "chain" (Starbucks). It looks like Second Cup may be trying to make inroads in the Saskatoon market.

In my opinion, people who are really serious about their coffee in Saskatoon frequent the independent coffee houses like Collective Coffee (that serves Intelligentsia), The Underground (that serves Transcend) or Museo (that serves its own superb roast).
One more Starbucks in Saskatoon. The new Target at Lawson Heights in Open, and there is a Starbucks inside. That means that Lawson Heights now has three Starkbucks in the same shopping centre.

I agree some of the independents are quite good.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 4:49 AM
Regina SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
One more Starbucks in Saskatoon. The new Target at Lawson Heights in Open, and there is a Starbucks inside. That means that Lawson Heights now has three Starkbucks in the same shopping centre.

I agree some of the independents are quite good.
Saskatoon is doing well for coffee, we can definitely say that!
Did anyone notice the Goliath wheat sheaf on Lululemon? I think it's extremely tacky personally, and I really wish it was not on 21st. My opinion, of course.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 5:26 PM
Registered Geek

Rockadero

Does anyone have any clue what "Rockadero" is on the corner of 8th and Louise? I thought that was to be a Great Canadian Oil Change. Signage seems to have vanished for the GCOC and the "Rockadro" signage seems to have gone up.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 4:02 AM

here's sask major project list, not much new stuff

http://www.economy.gov.sk.ca/2013-MPI

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 2:32 PM
Regina SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post
Does anyone have any clue what "Rockadero" is on the corner of 8th and Louise? I thought that was to be a Great Canadian Oil Change. Signage seems to have vanished for the GCOC and the "Rockadro" signage seems to have gone up.
That building looks like 2013 suburban Art Deco. :s

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
Regina has its coffee "chain" (Second Cup)
Wait, what? Two locations (one in a mall) defines Second Cup as Regina's main coffee shop?

I'd venture to say Regina really has no standard coffee shop, with a single Starbucks location we're nearly 90% independent shops if you exclude Tim Hortons and Starbucks kiosks in Safeways.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 4:53 PM

Mayor says 'core' bridge only a study right now

July 23, 2013 8:52 AM

Saskatoon depends on easy access to its downtown, but a new "core" bridge is just a matter of study right now, says Mayor Don Atchison.

Atchison said Monday that any additional bridge would only be considered if the dormant Traffic Bridge is replaced and the north end commuter bridge has been completed.

Another core bridge is being studied as part of the implementation of the city's integrated growth plan. Consulting firm Urban Systems was awarded a $1.5-million contract by city council last week to implement the plan, which is intended to help accommodate Saskatoon's growth over the next several decades.

"One of the reasons we have a vibrant downtown is we have easy access to downtown," Atchison said. [...]

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/M...543/story.html

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 10:33 PM

Core Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm310 View Post
Mayor says 'core' bridge only a study right now

July 23, 2013 8:52 AM

Saskatoon depends on easy access to its downtown, but a new "core" bridge is just a matter of study right now, says Mayor Don Atchison.

Atchison said Monday that any additional bridge would only be considered if the dormant Traffic Bridge is replaced and the north end commuter bridge has been completed.

Another core bridge is being studied as part of the implementation of the city's integrated growth plan. Consulting firm Urban Systems was awarded a $1.5-million contract by city council last week to implement the plan, which is intended to help accommodate Saskatoon's growth over the next several decades.

"One of the reasons we have a vibrant downtown is we have easy access to downtown," Atchison said. [...]

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/M...543/story.html

When they stop thinking everything has to go east and start to develope west they won't have to keep talking bridges. Most people work downtown or in the north end so why don' t they go west. Enough of this east-west divide most of which is kept alive by misinformed city managers and people in the real estate business. I know of agents that probably haven't been west of Idywyld Drive. It won't be long before the downtown will be so far from the eastern areas that no one will go there. On the other hand people on the west don't take a hour to get to work. The downtown should be the central hub of a city, why not Saskatoon?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 2:07 AM

I recommend you take a look at the City's projected growth map: there are seven neighbourhoods planned for the west side, and about eight for the east.

http://www.saskatoon.ca/DEPARTMENTS/...nceptPlan.aspx

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 3:45 AM
Forget it, Jake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Did anyone notice the Goliath wheat sheaf on Lululemon? I think it's extremely tacky personally, and I really wish it was not on 21st. My opinion, of course.
Yikes. I see what you mean:

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 3:49 AM
Forget it, Jake...

220 Wall Street

Courthouse expansion

Police HQ

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 4:15 AM

Core

Core
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh953 View Post
I recommend you take a look at the City's projected growth map: there are seven neighbourhoods planned for the west side, and about eight for the east.

http://www.saskatoon.ca/DEPARTMENTS/...nceptPlan.aspx
Thanks for the info on the map. The areas at the west end are nowhere as large as the east side developements under way now or in the future. Hampton is nearly finished and Kensington is now getting service. Neither of these are near the size of Rosewood. They only do one area at a time in the west. The east has several very large areas on the go at one time. The areas west of the Blairmore Walmart from Highway 7 to the swale is not large at all. I would bet the next area won't start for 3-4 years. Using the present method, the uneven balance will continue to become larger.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
Wait, what? Two locations (one in a mall) defines Second Cup as Regina's main coffee shop?

I'd venture to say Regina really has no standard coffee shop, with a single Starbucks location we're nearly 90% independent shops if you exclude Tim Hortons and Starbucks kiosks in Safeways.
I didn't mean to imply that Second Cup is Regina's "main coffee shop." Just that it's a chain and has a presence in Regina.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 5:18 AM

If it’s going to work, BRT will cost: expert

BY CHARLES HAMILTON, THE STARPHOENIX JULY 23, 2013

The head of Saskatoon Transit says ambitious plans for a bus rapid transit system can be achieved with minimal cost, but one expert warns, “you get what you pay for.”

On Saskatoon Transit’s 100th anniversary, the bus rapid transit system (BRT) is high on the agenda of city officials who hope to ease pressure on roads by attracting a larger cross-section of riders to mass transit.

[........]

Read more:
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/s...923/story.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan