HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #21  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 4:46 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is online now
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 33,246
Combining this list with the 11-30 list would allow more Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, Burnaby, Edmonton and possibly even Ottawa projects to join this thread.

I'm down with that...
__________________
Learn Here about the 200 Skyscrapers U/C in Toronto The Toronto Skyscraper Blog
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 5:56 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 14,922
A combined Top 30 thread would be more interesting. It's still an exclusive club. This idea to be more inclusive of all Canadian cities misses the point .
__________________
53 built and 26 under construction for a total of 79 towers over 150 metres.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #23  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 6:13 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is online now
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 33,246
This is the thread I visit the most. It would be nice to have some new peeps in here.
__________________
Learn Here about the 200 Skyscrapers U/C in Toronto The Toronto Skyscraper Blog
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 7:03 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is online now
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 33,246
From just now.

Live Updates to continue All Day! Yay! Lol!

__________________
Learn Here about the 200 Skyscrapers U/C in Toronto The Toronto Skyscraper Blog
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #25  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 7:30 PM
Ramako's Avatar
Ramako Ramako is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,352
Given that this thread hit 10,000 as quickly as it did, I don't think it's necessary to start widely expanding its scope. It's already a busy thread. Plus, nothing's stopping anyone from also clicking on the 11-30 Tallest Thread.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #26  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 8:26 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is online now
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 33,246
From Simcoe and Front.

Just now

__________________
Learn Here about the 200 Skyscrapers U/C in Toronto The Toronto Skyscraper Blog
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #27  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 8:46 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 18,514
L Tower



Libeskind by Chadillaccc, on Flickr




ICE



Sisters by Chadillaccc, on Flickr




Aura



SAM_0205 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr
__________________
Strong & free

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #28  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 8:59 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is online now
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 33,246
In Toronto, eh?

Have a good time!!!
__________________
Learn Here about the 200 Skyscrapers U/C in Toronto The Toronto Skyscraper Blog
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #29  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 2:35 AM
ue ue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Notleygrad, Albertastan
Posts: 8,699
^ Yeah, have fun. Looks like the light is great over there now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #30  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 5:47 AM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is offline
Insertoronto
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,107
Pile drivers are at 10 York, a great way to start off the new year!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #31  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 9:30 AM
isaidso isaidso is offline
The New Republic
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Provinces of America
Posts: 7,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
I would like to strongly disagree.

The only way I would feel okay about seeing Montréal or Vancouver on a skyscraper list for "tallest in the country" is if Canada's other mega-municipalities were experiencing slow construction cycles.

Both Vancouver and Montréal have a physical context that is worth protecting.
I've always found that viewpoint baffling. Skyscrapers are the palaces and castles of the 21st century. The truly great cities are the ones that marry their natural assets with man made wonders. Vancouver seems to have forgotten the last part and will never join the ranks of the world's great cities because it's built form just leaves one under whelmed. Montreal used to care about both.

A building only denigrates its surroundings if it's ugly. Buildings don't simply exist to fulfill a function, they're designed to be visually pleasing, lift our spirits, captivate us, etc. These are clearly people who see buildings/architecture as a necessary evil rather than things to admire/celebrate.

Montreal used to be a place that revered the skyscraper. I doubt Vancouver ever did. Now both seem to build them with reluctance and build them as short as possible in the hope that one might not notice their existence. Looks like Vancouver and Montreal will turn their backs on the skyscraper. They almost come off as cities that have given up on amounting to something grand. How sad!
__________________
World's First Documented Baseball Game: Beachville, Ontario, June 4th, 1838.
World's First Documented Gridiron Game: University College, Toronto, November 9th, 1861.
Hamilton Tiger-Cats since 1869 & Toronto Argonauts since 1873: North America's 2 oldest pro football teams

Last edited by isaidso; Jan 2, 2014 at 10:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #32  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 3:16 PM
RyeJay RyeJay is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I've always found that viewpoint baffling. Skyscrapers are the palaces and castles of the 21st century.
If they are "castles" then there should be very few of them, for castles existed to house the head governing population of the aristocracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The truly great cities are the ones that marry their natural assets with man made wonders. Vancouver seems to have forgotten the last part and will never join the ranks of the world's great cities because it's built form just leaves one under whelmed. Montreal used to care about both.
Height is not the absolute measure of architectural beauty and wonder. Not even close.

Both Montréal and Vancouver are recognised around the world for different reasons. I believe you are talking somewhat abstractly when you reference the "ranks of the world's great cities." If you'd like to provide a list of those cities (is Toronto included?), then I may be able to provide a list of negative aspects to every city you throw at me.

Height is not the absolute measure of municipal greatness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
A building only denigrates its surroundings if it's ugly. Buildings don't simply exist to fulfill a function, they're designed to be visually pleasing, lift our spirits, captivate us, etc. These are clearly people who see buildings/architecture as a necessary evil rather than things to admire/celebrate.
And some people understand that worshipping skyscrapers doesn't mean compromising your natural settings.

I support supertall skyscrapers. I can comprehend, though, why they are inappropriate sometimes.

Aside from aesthetical reasons for approving or disapproving of high urban densities: are you completely certain that the density Toronto is building is both financially and environmentally sustainable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Montreal used to be a place that revered the skyscraper. I doubt Vancouver ever did. Now both seem to build them with reluctance and build them as short as possible in the hope that one might not notice their existence. Looks like Vancouver and Montreal will turn their backs on the skyscraper. They almost come off as cities that have given up on amounting to something grand. How sad!
Holy shit you place a lot of esteem in a building's height. There's so much more to a city than its skyline.

Just because Montréal and Vancouver have shorter skylines than Toronto, doesn't mean these cities are any less "grand." In fact: I prefer the former, when compared to Toronto, for their exquisitely established streetscapes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #33  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 3:24 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is online now
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 33,246
Well we can all agree that Toronto's streetscapes are not the best.

Downtown Toronto needs very much, bigger and wider sidewalks and higher end retail. But with the new condos, I assume at some point we will get this, just hope we don't have to wait too long.
__________________
Learn Here about the 200 Skyscrapers U/C in Toronto The Toronto Skyscraper Blog
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #34  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 3:34 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 14,922
Ryejay, you're leaving an impression that Toronto's development is uncontrolled which couldn't be further from the truth. We have a long, very public planning process. On top of that, many things such as art contibutions in Canada were adapted from Toronto policies. While Vancouverism has received international recognition and awards, so did the planning behind the St Lawrence neighbourhood in the 1980s.
__________________
53 built and 26 under construction for a total of 79 towers over 150 metres.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #35  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 3:39 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 14,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Well we can all agree that Toronto's streetscapes are not the best.

Downtown Toronto needs very much, bigger and wider sidewalks and higher end retail. But with the new condos, I assume at some point we will get this, just hope we don't have to wait too long.
New condos do a very good job at streetfacing in Toronto. Toronto's streets are lacking in beautification but that's an easy remedy by comparison.
__________________
53 built and 26 under construction for a total of 79 towers over 150 metres.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 3:50 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Looks like Vancouver and Montreal will turn their backs on the skyscraper. They almost come off as cities that have given up on amounting to something grand. How sad!
That's unfair, especially considering that Montreal is building more skyscrapers right now than in the past 30 years.

But towers are just one among many other elements that can make a city grand. The vast urban renewal programs in Montreal like the Quartier des spectacles or Griffintown, contribute much more to the city's general appearance than any super tall would. Montreal's public realms have also seen radical transformations (Square Dorchester, Place des Festivals, Place Jean-Paul Riopelle, Square Victoria) and they make Montreal looks as grand as it never did.

Toronto is building many grand towers, yes. But very few have any architectural merits. Also its public realms are very poor compare to Montreal's. Compare Dundas Square to Place des Festivals. Or compare the new Aquarium near the CN tower that looks like a Home Depot to Montreal's new Planeterium. Good architectural gestures are not always in the sky...
__________________
My pics on Instagram
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #37  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 4:40 PM
Ramako's Avatar
Ramako Ramako is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Toronto is building many grand towers, yes. But very few have any architectural merits. Also its public realms are very poor compare to Montreal's. Compare Dundas Square to Place des Festivals. Or compare the new Aquarium near the CN tower that looks like a Home Depot to Montreal's new Planeterium. Good architectural gestures are not always in the sky...
Wait, are you talking about the planetarium that looks like a couple of grain silos?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #38  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 4:42 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is online now
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 33,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
That's unfair, especially considering that Montreal is building more skyscrapers right now than in the past 30 years.

But towers are just one among many other elements that can make a city grand. The vast urban renewal programs in Montreal like the Quartier des spectacles or Griffintown, contribute much more to the city's general appearance than any super tall would. Montreal's public realms have also seen radical transformations (Square Dorchester, Place des Festivals, Place Jean-Paul Riopelle, Square Victoria) and they make Montreal looks as grand as it never did.

Toronto is building many grand towers, yes. But very few have any architectural merits. Also its public realms are very poor compare to Montreal's. Compare Dundas Square to Place des Festivals. Or compare the new Aquarium near the CN tower that looks like a Home Depot to Montreal's new Planeterium. Good architectural gestures are not always in the sky...

I agree with you on the Aquarium, it would have looked better even if they had just clad the box in grey.

Photo Credit: me




A better head to head comparison for the Montreal Planetarium would likely be the Aga Khan Centre in Don Mills...

From Urbantoronto.ca

__________________
Learn Here about the 200 Skyscrapers U/C in Toronto The Toronto Skyscraper Blog
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #39  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 4:47 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 14,922
I think the aquarium turning out pretty good although expectation weren't that high being a private venture.
__________________
53 built and 26 under construction for a total of 79 towers over 150 metres.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #40  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 4:54 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 14,922
Urban renewals Cityplace, West Donlands, East Bayfront and, Regent Park add infinitely more to Toronto than a half dozen new tallests. There biggest contibutions may not even be the buildings/towers but the top quality, multi functional green space solely lacking in the downtown.
__________________
53 built and 26 under construction for a total of 79 towers over 150 metres.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:38 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.