HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 10:46 AM
seriously

Wondering if someone can explain a little to me about the keybank buildings (it's a little cloudy to me) ...

How much of the building is vacant now, and how much would be vacant after DN leaves?

Also, who owns the building.. is it KeyBank? How much space do they use themselves? (If it's a keybank building, seems like a lot of space they don't ever use)

Thanks

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestar View Post
Wondering if someone can explain a little to me about the keybank buildings (it's a little cloudy to me) ...

How much of the building is vacant now, and how much would be vacant after DN leaves?

Also, who owns the building.. is it KeyBank? How much space do they use themselves? (If it's a keybank building, seems like a lot of space they don't ever use)

Thanks
Key Success LLC owns both and they're managed by Ciminelli.

Here's Key's available space (if it is updated):

http://keyboa.com/key/building_info/...uilding_specs/

There's a sister site for Bank of America but I thought they had more vacant space than it shows.

DNC occupies everything above the third floor in the south tower and leases space on the ground floor for Vitos. Key only has four floor or so in the north tower. They never occupied more than half of the building.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 2:27 AM
seriously

Thanks for the info WCP.
I'm curious why KeyBank had the buildings built if it wasn't for their own use. They could have just leased space. Unless maybe they thought they would occupy more of it.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 2:33 AM

[QUOTE=homestar;6607399]Thanks for the info WCP.
I'm curious why KeyBank had the buildings built if it wasn't for their own use. They could have just leased space. Unless maybe

They never owned the complex- they were just the anchor tenant with naming rights. Key selected the site as their new area HQs location. At the time, Citicomm was trying to get them into a tower they wanted to build at Main/Swan. Key was in Ellicott Square. Key invited Citicomm, Uniland, Snyder and maybe some others to propose a building for them on the "North Block." Citicomm won, built the first tower for Key and a few other tenants that pre-leased space, and built the shell of the south tower. The shell was empty for 10 years until Delaware North took it.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 2:26 PM
seriously

ok. I misread your first post and thought 'Key Success LTD' was the same thing as Key Bank.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 2:44 AM
The Cat's Meow

homestar there are some other relics of unbuilt proposals: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28446 It would be cool if there were more pictures to go along with them.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective View Post
Agreed!

Fills a chunk of space that could have been empty for a very long time. And, puts these employees in a location that is only improving with all of the new restaurants opening on nearby blocks.

Now to get something into One Seneca Tower or whatever they call the old Marine Midland Bldg. Great stuff for Key Center though!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 11:19 PM

Construction starting July 1?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedious View Post
Construction starting July 1?

And the removal of the most prominent parking lot on the Elmwood strip begins. Now that's progress!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladsnine View Post

And the removal of the most prominent parking lot on the Elmwood strip begins. Now that's progress!
Agreed. Big progress. These will rent really fast in what is probably the best location in the city. It's a no brainer to build here.

Can't see why they'd close the lot unless construction was starting imminently?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:26 AM

Quote:

Yes- and the Ellicott Development project will take out a gas station at Delevan/Elmwood. One down, a few more to go....

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 10:30 PM

The housing market is doing very well:
http://www.buffalonews.com/business/real-estate/bidding-wars-and-big-prices-buffalo-real-estate-is-red-hot-2014061 . Sounds like we might not be the least expensive housing market in the country for long... (for better or worse)

Also, from the article, it sounds like the most intense activity is in the city, in the Elmwood Village and Allentown, so that's a good sign for the city's continuing resurgence. I personally know a couple people that looked in Elmwood recently but bought in other areas of the West Side because they were priced out.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 10:12 PM

The Riverbend deal changed a bit today. The solar panel manufacturer Silevo, which was supposed to anchor the complex, was bought by SolarCity and SolarCity is pushing forward on the plan except that they are expanding it, saying that the new Buffalo factory will be one of the largest in the world, with 1000 employees. The news made CNNMoney today:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/17/news...evo/index.html

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 6:08 AM
Architect

Here's a pic of the proposed new facility: http://buffalorising.com/2014/06/riv...-to-solarcity/

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
The Riverbend deal changed a bit today. The solar panel manufacturer Silevo, which was supposed to anchor the complex, was bought by SolarCity and SolarCity is pushing forward on the plan except that they are expanding it, saying that the new Buffalo factory will be one of the largest in the world, with 1000 employees. The news made CNNMoney today:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/17/news...evo/index.html
Musk is a rock star. I'd trade the solar plant for the battery plant Tesla is planning - over 5000 jobs. Texas and Nevada appear to be the front runners for it but California hasn't given up.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...lant/10302953/

Still, 1000 jobs is a BIG deal! It's really time to get serious about some light rail extensions or trolley lines to connect the nodes developing.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 11:28 PM

The Riverbend project is located less than 4 miles from downtown Buffalo, very much in an urban location surrounded by dense 100-year old neighborhoods. That juxtaposition will be what makes it an economic boon, I think. The neighborhoods around it will get re-invested and it will provide more justification for the continuing re-development of downtown for housing for these relatively well-paid workers and offices for related companies. Giant office parks in suburbia don't tend to contribute to their surroundings very much, but this has the potential to since it's right in the middle of the city.

I would love to see a light rail extension to Riverbend, Larkin, etc., but even without that, the bus service on South Park Avenue is excellent (every 15 minutes all day) and there are bike lanes the whole way, so transportation options are pretty good already.

The battery factory WOULD be even cooler, but honestly, just this is awesome. We didn't have to fight with other states for this, the incentives for it were relatively small and don't expire, and we didn't expect it. And - this is just one of several active engines for new jobs happening in the region right now, so we're not absolutely dependent on it. A good situation to be in.

------------------------------------------

In other news, Mark Croce took another step forward on the Curtiss Building hotel project today. Hopefully he will start construction soon:
http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...rsion-20140618

Last edited by ladsnine; Jun 19, 2014 at 12:07 AM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 2:22 AM

Quote:

In other news, Mark Croce took another step forward on the Curtiss Building hotel project today. Hopefully he will start construction soon:
http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...rsion-20140618
$18 million seems like a lot for that project. A bigger building built from the ground up could be built for less than that it seems. Not that a new build would be anywhere near as gorgeous as the Curtis.

Does this mean it will begin construction? What other obstacles can he have? I'm almost sick of hearing about this (awesome) project.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 2:54 AM

$18,000,000 / 57,500 square feet = $313/SF . That IS pretty high - not crazy, but a bit higher than I would expect from a developer project. He did talk about installing pretty high-end finishes and such, so perhaps that is reflected in the price? I'm sure the interior is in rough shape since it hasn't been heated for many years, so that probably adds cost. I wonder if he is going to put on a new cornice? Buffalo had a thing for removing them back in the 1940s.

Anyway, I agree - he needs to get on with it and put out a press release when construction is underway and not before.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 3:47 AM

Some photos of the Main Street 600 Block reconstruction project from this evening:

This is where the traffic lane joins the light rail tracks. Right now, and since the mid-1980s, Main Street has been a pedestrian mall with a light rail line running down it. The pedestrian mall was a failure, so the city is tearing it out with the belief that that will help bring life back to the street. In the new configuration, both cars and trains will use the same lane along the center and there will be a bike lane and a parking lane on the outside.

Just before the join point.

The new "Theater District" sign at Main & Tupper. The "Plaza of Stars" that is sinking into the sidewalk on Chippewa Street was/will be moved to this location to complete the plaza. I think it looks amazing...

New sidewalks and planters...

Bijou put out a sidewalk cafe...

New pedestrian signal under wraps in front of Shea's.
(A small brag for non-locals: Shea's Buffalo is the highest-grossing Broadway theater outside of New York City.)

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 3:01 AM
Master of My Domain

Buffalo Progress

Very happy about all the development. Never thought I'd see this--I couldn't have believed it had someone told me when I moved to Buff a decade and a half ago after meeting my wife.

The Riverbend project, I really hope it lives up to all the hype. I have rental properties scattered in the South Buffalo area and one of them just happens to be right near the proposed Riverbend. I'd love
to see a pos. effect on rentals there, of course. It's always been my impression that S. Buffalo always seemed to get overlooked in the past.

I grew up in Florida just south of Tampa. When I was a kid there was just one skyscraper in downtown Tampa--Park Tower.

(Wikipedia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...dings_in_Tampa

Quite a difference as you can see. Every time I'd drive into town I used to see those awesome tower cranes above another rising skyscraper project. I really missed that.

Then suddenly the tower cranes started popping up in Buffalo, of all places. I work downtown near the Harborfront project so I get to watch the progress daily. I was heading to my car today and I saw a total of three cranes at the project and I said "This, I should take a pic of!" Never thought I'd see such a thing! (Please excuse the crummy cell phone image)

Here's another angle as I reached my truck

Needless to say, I'm excited to see how long all this lasts. After years of disappointments as anyone who lives in Buffalo knows.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations