HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 11:48 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Here are a few from Gatineau

Former Dairy Queen, has been like this for at least the past 10 years if not more. His next door neighboors pretty much the same except with occasional temporary tenants

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.45619...BpQT-a-M8g!2e0

Former McDonalds which I think after this shot looked in much worse shape

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.44751...QbCMAtrwFQ!2e0
This lot in a very busy street has become a field of weeds for the past four years ever since a fire gutted the building there

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.42809...IMKt5gth2Q!2e0

Same street, being vacant like this for seven years

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.43083...0ICRiYusMw!2e0
That whole strip of St Joseph between St Raymond and Mont-Bleu has a certain 'skid row' quality to it.

..and that horrid vacant McDonald's.. man.. just bulldoze that place. I thought I read somewhere that a daycare was going to move in there. Maybe they changed their minds after realizing you can't get the grease and burger sweat out of the walls. Who'd want to pick up their kids at the end of the day with them smelling like Rotten Ronnie's?

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Trying to find your way in Rockliffe Park is a nightmare, I might add. A well-treed nightmare with German vehicles aplenty.
I don't find it so bad... most of the streets are NS or EW.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 4:36 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Trying to find your way in Rockliffe Park is a nightmare, I might add. A well-treed nightmare with German vehicles aplenty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
I don't find it so bad... most of the streets are NS or EW.
I don't find it bad either. Yes, there are a couple of curvy roads leading into Rockcliffe, but that's due to geography, not bad planning. It *is* located on a hill surrounded by bluffs after all.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:53 PM

This abandoned building at the corner of St-Laurent Blvd. & Tremblay Rd.
It's been like this forever. (image from Google Map)

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 3:22 PM

I think they sold concrete ornaments and such things there for many years.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 4:11 PM

Apparently John Mierins Jr., owner of Bytek and Volvo/Land Rover/Jaguar/Import behind, has had an offer on this for around ten years but the owner of the property has the price locked at some ridiculous amount.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Apparently John Mierins Jr., owner of Bytek and Volvo/Land Rover/Jaguar/Import behind, has had an offer on this for around ten years but the owner of the property has the price locked at some ridiculous amount.
That would explain it. The site has been an eyesore for as long as I can remember.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 2:49 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

In search of Ottawa's ugliest buildings

Phil Jenkins, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: September 7, 2014, Last Updated: September 7, 2014 10:37 AM EDT

The list I produced previously, of the six buildings I considered the most beautiful in our infrastructure stock, caused the old email inbox to swell like a hot air balloon. Most of the e-missives involved gentle chastisement (plus the odd thunderbolt) informing me that I had overlooked this or that – this being the Cattle Castle, that being the old Normal School that is now part of City Hall and so on.

Everyone was right, of course, as was I, and it was all a lesson in the subjectivity of awarding beauty to a building. The common denominator in all the selections I received was that they were pre-1950. This was to be expected. Except in youth-obsessed cultures, aging is a component of beauty. The glowing example of this is barn board, which starts out life keeping rain off hay, and ends up on the walls of cashed-out dot commers in Manotick to make the mansion more beautiful.

Now for the six ugliest buildings in our unfair city. As many of my friends said, when challenged to pick six carbuncles on the streetscape, “Heck, that’s a hard one. So many to choose from.” In our local architecture, the absence of even the attempt in the design at beauty, the inevitable ugliness produced by developers placing the profit motive above all else, has taken to the streets with gusto. It’s as though the box labeled “redeeming features” is empty. I’m not sure I’ll get the same e-response to this list, but here goes.

Top of the list, and let’s get it out of the way, are the condos on the LeBreton Flats. You know what I’m talking about. And now the next phase, the siblings of the ones already built, are underway. It’s getting worse.

The police station on Elgin Street, presumably built as in bunker form to withstand rioting mobs when taxes get too high, is as unwelcoming a place as could be. A distressing place to enter if you are distressed.

The luxury condos at 700 Sussex, the prison wing for rich people, hurts my eyes every time I try not to look at them. Being next to the Chateau Laurier and across from the old train station (Note to Stephen Harper: Can we have that back, please?) doesn’t help.

Name your own shopping mall, but my retail atrocity of choice is St. Laurent. But then, who looks at the surroundings when you are staring down at a screen asking for your PIN number?

A last minute inclusion on the list as I was compiling it came about when I recently walked down Albert Street. In the 200 block there is large puce box without a single redeeming feature. What happens in there?

And last and among the least, I’ll leave the sixth spot blank for readers to fill in. You will no doubt appreciate the chance to vent.

I propose that this column hands out two annual awards, to be dubbed the Edies, after the word edifice; one for the most beautiful building erected that year, one for the ugliest. The Edies are not to expected to dramatically alter the future streetscape, but they may add a redeeming feature or two. And talking of buildings, beautiful and otherwise, let me quickly mention a chance for you to visit and discuss several of Ottawa’s 19th century belles that fall under the title of “domestic Gothic.” There’s a conference about them (Earnscliffe is the jewel in the crown) on September 26 and 27. Contact Bruce.Elliott@carleton.ca to get on the list for the limited tours.

Phil Jenkins is an Ottawa writer. Email phil@philjenkins.ca.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...iest-buildings

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 8:57 PM

Nice to see claridge being recognized for their fine contribution to architecture in this city, although I think both their buildings on Rideau and at Kent/Somerset are uglier than their lebretton buildings.

While it may be full of hipster businesses now, I still think City Centre takes the cake.

Also, is it possible to nominate every single building on Laurier west of Metcalfe?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Nice to see claridge being recognized for their fine contribution to architecture in this city, although I think both their buildings on Rideau and at Kent/Somerset are uglier than their lebretton buildings.

While it may be full of hipster businesses now, I still think City Centre takes the cake.

Also, is it possible to nominate every single building on Laurier west of Metcalfe?
Again, there is nothing wrong with the National Arts Centre that can't be solved with a controlled demolition.

I don't know what's so bad about 700 Sussex of the Rideau St. condos that Jenkins et al. have a hate-on for.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 11:33 AM

Personally I don't mind Claridge Plaza. The blank wall next to the former Dworkin Furs building is hideous but the rest of it is fine. Nothing spectacular, but nothing bad.

For new buildings, I'd actually nominate the Merit as an ugly one. It's too reminiscent of those ugly Brutalist boxes this city is full of. I'd like to nominate every single one of those by the way.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 1:26 PM
BANNED

The north side of td place stadium.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 1:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I think they sold concrete ornaments and such things there for many years.
Yes, in the 70s and maybe the 80s that location was Leblond's Precast or something. The front of the place was filled with hundreds of statues and things. I was fascinated by it.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Personally I don't mind Claridge Plaza. The blank wall next to the former Dworkin Furs building is hideous but the rest of it is fine. Nothing spectacular, but nothing bad.

For new buildings, I'd actually nominate the Merit as an ugly one. It's too reminiscent of those ugly Brutalist boxes this city is full of. I'd like to nominate every single one of those by the way.
How does art deco remind you of brutalism? I agree the pre-cast isn't gorgeous from 50 feet away or less, but there is nothing else tying the Merit to the brutalist architecture in this city.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 4:46 PM

Quote:

Don't forget the backside of Claridge Plaza on Besserer. That's a really bad thing to have done to the street.

For any other building in Ottawa, I've already nominated them in another thread over a year ago, but the grey building across from Église St-François d'Assise and Suites of Somerset.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 6:30 PM
Busy Beaver

One piece of Ugly Ottawa that's unforgivable is the security shed at Parliament Hill:

http://goo.gl/maps/PABw9

How long is it supposed to be there? If it's a permanent/medium term thing, it could have been designed so much better. I've seen temporary structures that are way nicer, something like a tensile structure could have been done. It sort of shows how much culture and humanity we've lost because of all this paranoia towards terrorism.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 3:54 AM

Quote:

The Merit, really?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
Don't forget the backside of Claridge Plaza on Besserer. That's a really bad thing to have done to the street.
Yeah, that is pretty hideous. Unfortunately, the people who I've heard from who whinge about the Claridges all whinge about how it's "too tall".

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Yeah, that is pretty hideous. Unfortunately, the people who I've heard from who whinge about the Claridges all whinge about how it's "too tall".
That's just it. Many buildings going up have some serious imperfections that should be addressed, and it is those things that people should be discussing and working to improve. Unfortunately, they aren't usually being discussed as they, and the legitimate concerns from others, are eclipsed by other people who complain about the same old, same old (height, shadows, wind tunnels, property values, etc.). People should be fighting for modifications that they can live with or that contribute positively to their area, instead of opposing it flat-out and being bitter when they lose and end up with a subpar building.

And then they get angry because they're called NIMBYs, without understanding why they are referred to as such.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 4:07 PM

Claridge Plaza takes the cake for me. It's more than just the actual look of the building, but its location: Rideau Street deserves way better than CP. If it would have been fine if built in Gatineau or Hull (off the island), but Rideau Street!?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues