HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 1:45 AM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Not sure what the problem is, there is no administrative objection to the request. It should be a 5 minute hearing unless some NINBY shows up.
Why should it have any chance of being objected to? It is what the City is asking for in its planning documents. Eliminate this barrier.

The other thing is that it takes up all administrations time, committees time, the developers time, and the developers money as these applications cost. It's a pointless step in a long, drawn out process of getting something built.

Last edited by steveosnyder; Aug 12, 2014 at 1:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 1:51 PM

What is the cost of an application for something like this? I can't see it being anymore than $20 - 25.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:19 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
What is the cost of an application for something like this? I can't see it being anymore than $20 - 25.
He needed a conditional use and 2 variances, first variance is $408, second (and each after if it was more than 2) is $43. Conditional Use is $408. Because the variances had a site plan review clause (Condition 3 on the variance, quote "That final plans, showing the location and details of the fencing for the second storey open deck, shall be submitted to the Director of Planning, Property and Development for approval prior to the issuance of any development or building permits; and thereafter shall be maintained to the satisfaction of the Director of Planning, Property and Development."), the review will cost an additional $108.

So that's almost a grand.

EDIT: It is a requirement for the developer to pay for all the time it takes for the planner/zoning officer/whoever did the reports to actually do the reports. It's time consuming to write these reports.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/ppd/pdf_files/feesbylaw.pdf

Last edited by steveosnyder; Aug 12, 2014 at 4:22 PM. Reason: Added some clarification -- Also link to Fees and Charges

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:36 PM

Now you are taking real money and I agree with you that its excessive cost for a straight forward application.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:42 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Now you are taking real money and I agree with you that its excessive cost for a straight forward application.
Those were the charges for single and two family residence... If they called this mixed use it would be even more, so my dollars might be a bit off.

The charges for variances and conditional uses is crazy... And it's something we are trying to promote on these corridors.

EDIT: And it seems that this is a C2 zone, so it's not the R1 and R2 Variances costs, it's the other one... So that's actually $815 for 1st variance, $161 for each additional, $1175 for conditional use. Design review stays the same.

So, $2259 for just the variances and conditional use, again for something we are actively promoting on these corridors.

EDIT2: Well, it seems that a "designated employee" is allowed to decrease the cost of a variance for certain types (as determined by them), so it's possible they only paid $550/$42 for the variances. No decrease allowed in conditional use.

Last edited by steveosnyder; Aug 12, 2014 at 5:04 PM. Reason: Changed original numbers...

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
And it's something we are trying to promote on these corridors.
What's been happening on St. Anne's and St. Mary's is great (as you've pointed out before). Anything to speed up, simplify, and promote the process is ideal.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 7:53 PM

Any one get a 1st hand look at the Alexander Docks and the damage caused by the Spring Melt?

I haven't launched a boat on the Red since 2012. Can't tell how bad it is.

I just feel for the RRR operator and the end to his season. Let him finish the year off and hopefully improve the docking facility at the location...soon... Well actually River access in general.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 2:39 AM

http://globalnews.ca/news/1528292/wo...ses-next-year/

Workers in Western Canada set for biggest raises next year

By Jamie Sturgeon Global News

Average wages in the oil and gas sector are expected to advance 3.8 per cent in 2015, the fastest clip in the country.
Canadian Press
If you’re fortunate enough to be gainfully employed in Calgary, Saskatoon or Regina, next year could well bring with it a comfortable pay hike.

Alberta and Saskatchewan, whose resource-based economies are leaving the rest of the country in the dust, again top an annual monitor of wage growth across provinces and cities.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 9:44 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...urce=d-tiles-4

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Orcas pop up near Churchill, feed on belugas
By: Adam Wazny
Posted: 09/5/2014 1:00 AM

Part of Remi Allen's Tuesday was spent killing time with killer whales.
The 23-year-old Churchill resident received a nice surprise when several orcas made their way into Hudson Bay earlier this week. The excitement started when Dwight Allen, Remi's father, received a call from a friend inquiring about the killer whales in the bay.
The Allens immediately stopped what they were doing at their business (they own and operate Sea North Tours, a marine tour business), headed out to the marina and jumped in their six-metre Zodiac boat.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 8:25 PM

Not to beat this issue to death as I don't want to burn posts adding comments about SkyCity to a dead thread in Pump House which technically have no bearing on the the topic of that project.

But I was curious. What is the new guideline to start a new thread about any other project that is speculative, proposed but contoversial? Removal of the entire thread sets a new standard. What are the rules? Does a moderator only have the right of bringing the SkyCity thread back to life if for some miracle they start the sales centre in a week? Would I be suspended, probably to the delight of many here, for starting the thread again?

Can those in control of the forum(s) explain? Thx.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 7:02 PM

^ Clarified.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
^ Clarified.
Perhaps you'd be interested in sharing this clarification?

Development projects are not just a series of screws and boards. They encompass many different disciplines. If an architect or engineer around here started questioning the physical plans for a project citing genuine issues with either structural components or something similar, would the thread just get shut down? And if the proponents architect had been barred for working as an architect in other jurisdictions for serious issues of the same sort, would that be thought as too incendiary and slanderous? Doubtful.

I'd like to hear the mods rationale for the removal of a thread very important to anybody who may be interested in investing...

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Perhaps you'd be interested in sharing this clarification?

Development projects are not just a series of screws and boards. They encompass many different disciplines. If an architect or engineer around here started questioning the physical plans for a project citing genuine issues with either structural components or something similar, would the thread just get shut down? And if the proponents architect had been barred for working as an architect in other jurisdictions for serious issues of the same sort, would that be thought as too incendiary and slanderous? Doubtful.

I'd like to hear the mods rationale for the removal of a thread very important to anybody who may be interested in investing...
clar·i·fy
ˈklarəˌfī/
verb
past tense: clarified; past participle: clarified

make (a statement or situation) less confused and more clearly comprehensible.
"the report managed to clarify the government's position"
synonyms: make clear, shed/throw light on, elucidate, illuminate; More
explain, explicate, define, spell out, clear up
"their report clarified the situation"
antonyms: confuse
melt (butter) in order to separate out the impurities.
synonyms: purify, refine; More
filter, fine
"clarify the butter"

Someone must prefer their popcorn with butter and yet still others tend to do your thinking for you and make decisions their way. SAD.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 6:47 PM

Harvard-educated architect talks City Beautiful at News Café Tuesday

The third instalment of City Beautiful will run in next Saturday’s paper

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...urce=d-tiles-2

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 8:23 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Harvard-educated architect talks City Beautiful at News Café Tuesday

The third instalment of City Beautiful will run in next Saturday’s paper

Ha... I made this suggestion to Geoff after TV finished his interview... He said they were looking for someone on Friday and I made the recommendation. I guess Friday didn't work.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 8:41 PM

You definitely have some pull in these matters.

On another note, maybe we'll see you running in a Civic election someday. You speak your mind regardless off which way the debate is going. I respect that.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 6:38 PM

Good read.

City Beautiful - Part 3: Our Renaissance

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 9:05 PM
North End Troublemaker

I don't know if anyone else here is watching any of the CityLab stream, but I heard a few choice quotes from Donald Shoup today on it... Link for the curious -- http://www.theatlantic.com/live/events/citylab/2014/

My personal favourite... "Cities tend to make parking free and housing expensive... That's backwards."

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 1:35 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

who welt to nuit blanche?

i held my own event in a dinbgy back alley had over 1000 people come by....

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
who welt to nuit blanche?

i held my own event in a dinbgy back alley had over 1000 people come by....

Apparently, people in Winnipeg like back alleys. Did you have anything for FREE?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan