HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 1:27 AM

Spectacular aerial from Canada section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 5:08 PM

One nice tower in Coal Harbour is Denia right next to the waterfront. The suite we saw was only on the 14th floor, but had two balconies providing a nice view of surrounding Coal Harbour and Burrard Inlet.

This 1350 sqf waterfront suite was a steal at $3300/month and we did put in an application for it. The only problem we had with the suite was that it had carpet in every. single. room. and even though we offered to pay more if they would replace the carpet with laminate in dining and living rooms, the owner didn't have any appetite for it. So unfortunately another pass.

The Cube is one of the most interesting condo buildings in Coal Harbour. To my understanding it used to be an office building, but was converted to condos. I have never been inside it, but based on photos the floor height is very low.

West Pender Place tower has a nice podium. The tower itself is very expensive to get in (not sure why).

Sister tower Cascina next door.

The courtyard between these two towers is very nicely landscaped with running water.

Waterfront

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 5:19 PM
Community Guy

I ran into Mr.T ^in the cube once ^in 1988.

Dated a girl ^in the tower just east, great views

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 5:43 PM

Mr. T!! What was he doing in there? Cool story nonetheless.

There are some old photos of Coal Harbour before it was built out, showing The Cube standing alone along the West Georgia Street. I wonder what the story behind the building is? Why was it built where it is and by who? It's just an oddity in that area.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 6:24 PM
Community Guy

Office tower.

Earthquake 'proof' design.

Macguyver often used it ^in filming.

God I am old

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 7:46 PM
See ya down under, mates

The cube made more sense when you could see the shoreline/harbour underneath it from Georgia. It was a cool effect, I remember being impressed by it as a kid in the 80s.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 8:41 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 9:16 PM

Cool photos Klazu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
The Cube is one of the most interesting condo buildings in Coal Harbour. To my understanding it used to be an office building, but was converted to condos. I have never been inside it, but based on photos the floor height is very low.
Says here that the ceiling height in the condos is 9 feet 6 inches, which would make sense since it's a converted office tower.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 9:54 PM

Quote:
I've lived in the Qube for several years now. Mostly happy here, though it does get stifling hot in summer. I watched West Pender Place go up from my suite on the Broughton St side.

There are 12 floors in the Qube, numbered 4-15. Yes, it has a 13th floor.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikester View Post
I've lived in the Qube for several years now. Mostly happy here, though it does get stifling hot in summer. There are 12 floors in the Qube, numbered 4-15. Yes, it has a 13th floor
That's cool! I didn't know that the building was originally built in 1969. Must have been quite groundbreaking building at that time.

I was actually mistaken about the floor height, which seems to be more than your average condo. It's the size of the units in this building and the small windows that have removed it from my list of potential homes. I suppose there are also no amenities in the building?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
That's cool! I didn't know that the building was originally built in 1969. Must have been quite groundbreaking building at that time.

I was actually mistaken about the floor height, which seems to be more than your average condo. It's the size of the units in this building and the small windows that have removed it from my list of potential homes. I suppose there are also no amenities in the building?
No amenities.

The windows are actually pretty big (and are very effective solar collectors), they just don't open very far. In my unit (15 in the layout above, which is plenty big enough for me but would be small for two people), only two of the windows open, and they hinge from the top and swing out just a few inches. And with both on the same wall there's not much airflow between the two.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 7:48 AM

Here are a couple of underground Vancouver pics I took. Both taken from the front window of a Canada Line train (and given a little treatment in iPhoto).

In the green pic you can see the tracks on the bottom if you tilt your head to the right. This is in the square tunnel beneath Cambie Street between Olympic Village and Broadway/City Hall stations.

The red pic is in the part of the tunnel that was dug out with the tunnel boring machine, so it's round. If you're standing on the platform at the Olympic Village station you'll see the round tunnel to the north end of the platform and the square tunnel to the south of the platform.

Canada Line, June 19 '10, my pic

Canada Line, Aug.15 '10, my pic

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 12:24 AM

Two weeks go we noticed an interesting ad on Craigslist: a 1500 sqf penthouse with huge rooftop patio for an intriguing price. Of course we went to check it out and found it being located in the 1995 built Robinson Tower in the slam middle of Yaletown.

The building itself was renovated and nice inside, but the suite turned out to be in completely original condition. And unfortunately that did not mean 90s style interiors, but 80s style! My God the old purple carpet in every room, the huge mirror doors with golden trims and the tiny rooms with small windows.

We felt a bit bad for the owner who had clearly put a lot of personal love to the suite in the last 20 years, but it all felt so outdated that it is difficult to think anyone taking it in that condition. The owner's wife was also a Collector (hoarder) of old clothes and dear Lord the amount of clothes everywhere...

The only positive thing about this place was the rooftop patio on the 19th floor that offered a great view of Emery Barnes Park and surrounding Yaletown.

Richard Street

Jubilee House construction site.

Yaletown

Maddox and Elan towers.

Great view of the two Brava towers.

Emery Barnes Park

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 12:08 AM

Creekside Park two weeks ago.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 3:30 AM

I miss my former view of East Vancouver and Burnaby. Such a beautiful metro we have!

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Spectacular aerial from Canada section
an excellent picture of the city. downtown is dense. but the rest of the city isn't as dense. it'll take some time, before it densifies.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
an excellent picture of the city. downtown is dense. but the rest of the city isn't as dense. it'll take some time, before it densifies.
It is still pretty impressive for a city of 2.5 million.

Old Posted May 18, 2015, 3:30 AM

View from grouse:

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 8:20 AM

Sorry, I haven't been contributing as of late, but major creative block as of late...and haven't been able to get out to Vancouver either.

Anyways... Klaus, how do you get those colors to pop like that. Awesome images. Haven't managed to pick up Lightroom... soon though...

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Animal View Post
Anyways... Klaus, how do you get those colors to pop like that. Awesome images. Haven't managed to pick up Lightroom... soon though...
Thanks! I use Photoshop and it is mainly about enhancing and finding a balance between contrast, levels, vibrance, saturation and few other settings. Every photo will look better after touching, as even the best of cameras won't manage to capture the true vibrance of nature.

I normally aim for as natural colors as possible, but am still trying to find good defaults for different situations. It's a learning process and I am sure one can see progression in my photos in the last few years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos