HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 3:38 PM

Thanks HenryHuntington, Ed Workman and MichaelRyerson for the information on ATSF's 'Blue Goose'.

That's an excellent photograph MR. Do you know if the Parkview Apartment building is still standing?

Here are a few more photographs of the 'Blue Goose'.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATSF-Santa-F...73254883&rt=nc

A view showing the 'Tender'

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATSF-Santa-F...73255927&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATSF-Santa-F...73255927&rt=nc

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 4:10 PM

Front Street, Norwalk CA 1950s

-"showing Wong's Food Market, Western Auto, Rexall Drugs, Norwalk Market, a liquor store, the Post Office and the Bank of Norwalk".

https://www.flickr.com/groups/vintagenorwalk/

and today

gsv

from the opposite direction

gsv

Anchored by the Bank of Norwalk building on the corner of Front Street and Clarkdale Avenue.

gsv

While searching for a vintage photograph of the Bank of Norwalk, I came across this before (1948) and after (2012).

http://longbeachseen.com/?cat=16

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Was "Dean" a nickname, as the sign shows it in quotes?

Mosher Tire Service is listed at 1534 Cahuenga Boulevard in the 1942 CD, which is the year the seller claims for the photograph. They obviously moved sometime after that, because here's an advert from the November 14, 1968 edition of Valley News which lists the company at 12117 Burbank Boulevard. The 63rd anniversary ties in with the "Since 1905" sign in the picture above.

www.newspapers.com

A year later, and after 64 years in the business, Mosher Tire Service expanded with two new locations at 9508 Van Nuys Boulevard and 22734 Ventura Boulevard. It looks like it was still a family business as Merrill Mosher was head of the company. This article is from the June 22, 1969 edition of The Van Nuys News.

www.newspapers.com
The founder of Mosher Tire Service was Lewis Dean Mosher, born in Illinois on September 26, 1885. His obituary says he was a pioneer in North Hollywood beginning in 1927 and that he had founded his tire business in Los Angeles in 1905. The 1920 Census has Mr Mosher and his family living in Kern county were he was a farm manager. There is nothing to account for this discrepancy. His WWI draft registration, filled out in September of 1918, indicates that he was living in Santa Barbara and that he was a salesman for Fords, working for an E. W. Alexander in Santa Barbara

The 1930 Census has him at 12127 Burbank Bl. with his family (this appears to have been both the business and residential address) He is noted to be in the tire business at that time. When he filled out a draft registration for WWII he was living on Burbank Blvd. and it lists his business address as 1534 N. Cahuenga Bl, North Hollywood.

He died in 1973 and the Obit says he was active in the business until 1960. He lived in Valley Village at the time of his death according to the Social Security death index.

Merrill Mosher in the newspaper photo above was the son of the company founder Lewis Dean Moser.

Last edited by oldstuff; May 26, 2015 at 5:07 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 5:55 PM

Sid Smith 1922

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
This group of snapshots from 1922 show a silent film production on location at Muller Bros. Service Station at 6380 Sunset Blvd. (now the site of the Cinerama Dome).

Does anyone have an idea what movie they're working on?
__
Of the 17 shorts Sid Smith (1898-1928) made in 1922, five were directed by Alfred Santell (1895-1981), eleven by Noel C Smith (1895-1955) and two by Herman C Raymaker (1893-1944). Smith shared acting credit with George Williams (1854-1936) in 8 of the shorts and with Jimmie Adams (1888-1933) in another 8. Sid Smith got sole acting credit for "Dandy Dan, He's a Detective". This one was produced by William Fox. All the others were produced by Harry Cohn (1891-1958). They were made for Hall Room Boy Photoplays.

The only one of the shorts made in 1922 which has other cast members listed in IMDB, other than the leads, is the first one, "Nobody's Baby" (6 Jan 1922). A man a woman and a boy were credited along with Smith and Adams:

Joseph Belmont (1874-1939)
Lillian Biron (1898-1957)
Walter Wilkinson (1916-1981)

Herman C Raymaker directed and Harry Cohen produced.

I haven't had much success finding pix of the people credited on "Nobody's Baby" (I couldn't scare up a copy of the short either). Maybe someone else can.

Jimmie Adams:

wikipedia

Harry Cohen:

sonypicturesmuseum

wikipedia

P.S.

Or it could be "Bridle Grooms", released New Year's Day 1923. Another Noel M Smith/Harry Cohen effort. The credits on that one are Sid Smith, George Williams and Bud Jamison. There's plenty of pix of Jamison (he was in many of the Three Stooges films):

sitcomsonline

previously posted by e_r

Sid Smith bio:

imdb

Last edited by tovangar2; May 27, 2015 at 2:42 AM. Reason: add P.S.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 6:19 PM

Tovangar, on one of the snapshots E_R posted, it was dated as October, so whatever film they were making most likely was released in 1923.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
I've no idea which movie was being made. But I'm fascinated by these photos partly because they present kind of a curious threesome of celebrities, as none worked together at any time.

Smith was small time comedian who starred in very cheap comedies, many of them built around automobile gags. It makes sense for him to be shooting on location because that would have been extremely inexpensive.

I strongly question whether Barrymore and Von Stroheim actually are in these photos. Both were in the top tier of Hollywood elite at the time. I suppose it is possible that they might have visited the location shoot of a very minor comedian...but it seems unlikely.

Barrymore was a major star who appeared in expensive feature films, including Sherlock Holmes in 1922 and Beau Brummel in 1924. And Erich Von Stroheim was busy around this time directing hugely expensive pictures on the back lot of Universal, spending so much money...thousands of dollars for real caviar for a single scene of Merry-Go-Round...that he was soon fired. When Von Stroheim actually did start shooting on location for Greed (1924), it was in San Francisco and Oakland.

I'll put forward a couple of alternate theories: first, these are probably just ordinary crew members of a small film company that the photographer mistook for major celebrities. Alternately, the photographer may have purposely mislabeled the photos with the names of major celebrities so as to have some bragging rights over the photos in his album.

But I could be wrong! Anyone else want to chime in here?

(Regardless, I'm still fascinated by the photos, so thanks for posting them ER!)
I, too, yesterday, was trying to find out what they might be filming here and wasn't having any luck.

However I won't verify Von Stroheim was in any of these photos, but I do believe this is Lionel Barrymore,
not John, whom you researched, even though someone wrote a "J." on the photograph.

From the film Devil Doll*, for which Erich von Stroheim has a writing credit.

Yes, Lionel is in drag. This film, directed by Tod Browning, is a must-see from 1936, if you aren't familiar with it. As for the photos in question, though, I do not find any movies that Lionel Barrymore was filming at that time that would've fit this location, nor that Stroheim had anything to do with.

Above, you wrote: "I suppose it is possible that they [Barrymore/Von Stroheim] might have visited the location shoot of a very minor comedian...but it seems unlikely."

That might be unlikely, but in GW's post that E_R linked to, he quotes from a history page:
"Celebrities, from Rudolph Valentino to Clark Gable, came by regularly to get gas or just work on their cars."

Maybe these two were there for the gas, a tune-up or other automobile necessities while the filming just
happened to be taking place. Barrymore doesn't look to be in costume for anything in the photo.

______

*Devil Doll: An escaped Devil's Island convict uses miniaturized humans to wreak vengeance on those that framed him.

Last edited by Martin Pal; May 26, 2015 at 6:40 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

Tovangar, on one of the snapshots E_R posted, it was dated as October, so whatever film they were making most likely was released in 1923.
Thx Martin. What was the turn around on shorts back then?

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 7:18 PM

Thanks for the follow-up on the Mosher family, oldstuff.

------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The 1936 aerial above should help with the 1955 Leonard Nadel shots below. They're all from the "Leonard Nadel photographs of Community Redevelopment Agency projects, 1948-1998" > "Bunker Hill Renewal Project, 1951-1956" section - I've listed the number of the negatives under each photo. I hope everyone's OK with the full resolution.

Following on from the photos of 2nd and Hope that I posted a couple of days ago, here's the Clift Hotel as seen from the Stanley.

getty.edu
"W. Second St. area, 1955 September 21-1955 September 22" > "BH2-32 (negative 11)"

And now, the Stanley from the Clift Hotel. The Dome Apartments are on the left, and the Stoll Apartments are on the right. This is the west end of the 2nd Street tunnel.

getty.edu
"Fremont Ave., Figueroa St., 1955 September 16" > "BH2-14 (negative 17)"

Turning 90 degrees, this is the view down Figueroa from the Clift Hotel.

getty.edu
"Fremont Ave., Figueroa St., 1955 September 16" > "BH2-16 (negative 20)"

Another 90 degrees, and we're looking at the La Salle Hotel, the Dallas Apartments, the President Hotel and the Harbor Freeway. I particularly like Dean's Sandwich Stand on the right.

getty.edu
"Fremont Ave., Figueroa St., 1955 September 16" > "BH2-9 (negative 11)"

The final view from the Clift Hotel shows the 1st Street bridge over Figueroa. The Norfolk Apartments are in the center.

getty.edu
"Fremont Ave., Figueroa St., 1955 September 16" > "BH2-8 (negative 10)"

Here's a better view of the Norfolk Apartments from the 1st Street bridge. Check out post #21401 for pictures of the 1st Street/Figueroa intersection before the bridge was built.

getty.edu
"Fremont Ave., Figueroa St., 1955 September 16" > "BH2-7 (negative 9)"

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 7:27 PM

Interesting research on the Muller Bros. 'location' photographs tovanger2. Good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
"I suppose it is possible that they [Barrymore/Von Stroheim] might have visited the location shoot of a very minor comedian...but it seems unlikely."

GW quotes:
"Celebrities, from Rudolph Valentino to Clark Gable, came by regularly to get gas or just work on their cars."

Maybe these two were there for the gas, a tune-up or other automobile necessities while the filming just happened to be taking place.
That's a possibility. The station seems to have been the epicenter for motor enthusiasts in 1922 Hollywood.
______

I keep returning to this particular photograph. So where was this section located, in relation to the service station....next door?....across the street?

eBay

The place must have been huge. Is there a Sanborn map available? hint*

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 26, 2015 at 8:41 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 7:45 PM

Excellent photographs and explanations HossC.

Detail / West portal of the 2nd Street Tunnel.

originally posted by HossC

I don't remember the tunnel having this design element. I wonder if there was a way to reach the area behind the columns?

__

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
New Santa Fe streamlined steam locomotive, 1938

View of the new streamlined steam locomotive of the Santa Fe R.R. while it was on display at Exposition Park in Los Angeles.

LAPL
Quote:

That's an excellent photograph MR. Do you know if the Parkview Apartment building is still standing?
The Park View is the old Neft Apartments (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=27740). So, no, it's no longer standing. On the left in MR's photo is the corner of the LA County Taxidermy Lab next door.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 8:12 PM

Quote:

Detail / West portal of the 2nd Street Tunnel.

originally posted by HossC

I don't remember the tunnel having this design element. I wonder if there was a way to reach the area behind the columns?
I wondered the same thing myself, but couldn't see any obvious entry points.

Has anyone ever commented on the balustrade on the west entrance of the 2nd Street Tunnel?

Detail of picture from my previous post.

It appears to be the same design as the east entrance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKidD View Post

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 8:14 PM

A. Bard Mohr Pretzels, 504 Molino Street, Los Angeles. (i can't quite read the smaller words after Mohr and above the S in Pretzels)

eBay

detail / buggy with the street address.

I've been trying to decide what is stacked at the side-door. (besides boxes of pretzel ) looks like small fans on top...but I know it's not.

the pretzel factory would have been along this stretch of Molino Street.

gsv

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 26, 2015 at 11:18 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
The Park View is the old Neft Apartments (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=27740). So, no, it's no longer standing.
On the left in MR's photo is the corner of the LA County Taxidermy Lab next door.
Thanks for answering my question FW. I didn't realize the Parkview was the old Neff.

originally posted by Flyingwedge

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=27740

I'm trying to picture the 'Blue Goose' parked in front.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 26, 2015 at 8:47 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 9:01 PM

Hi wonderful Noirish LAers!

I've never posted here before but I am absolutely obsessed with this thread and I've been silently stalking it for years. I've probably learned more form this thread than anywhere else online! The wealth of info here is astounding and noticing dead picture links makes me a bit nervous. I'm a graphic designer by trade (sadly without much web experience), however I think I have some ideas on how we might be able to catalog most of the pictures and info while making them easily searchable, beautiful, and user friendly. This would require some SERIOUS time and effort, but how cool would it be?!

I'm looking at various options and how much it would cost to host something like this and while it's not completely astronomical (maybe $300-500 a year?), I'd probably need to look at doing a Kickstarter and then possibly rely on donations to continue the hosting fees in the future. If it did materialize, I'm happy to donate as much time as I am able to toward it. I just thought I'd pop in and see if there was any interest in something like this or not!

Again - no guarantees at this point. Just putting some feelers out! Thanks again for the years of education and for all of your knowledge. It's truly priceless and you guys are amazing

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Thx Martin. What was the turn around on shorts back then?
Alhough I don't know for sure, it was probably pretty quickly.

I looked up Our Gang shorts in a book I have and they released nine two-reelers in 1923.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 9:51 PM

Quote:
I keep returning to this particular photograph. So where was this section located, in relation to the service station....next door?....across the street?

eBay

The place must have been huge.
According to GW's post you linked E_R:

The Muller Brothers Service Station opened in 1920. It became the largest service station in the world (including a large automobile supply center) occupying 4 acres, employing 120 people by 1937.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 10:05 PM

oops, I overlooked that. (when I linked to GW's post I didn't reread it thoroughly)

I had no idea it was 4 acres!! -and was the largest service station in the world! (I wonder if that's true or hyperbole?

Welcome to 'noirish Los Angeles' jengood008.
Glad you've been following us at NLA.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 26, 2015 at 10:22 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 10:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
oops, I overlooked that. (when I linked to GW's post I didn't reread it thoroughly)

I had absolutely no idea it was 4 acres!! -and was the largest service station in the world!
__

Welcome to 'noirish Los Angeles' jengood008.
Glad you've been following us at NLA.
For those who are interested. Five acres is a typical city block. From that 5 acres, you slice off a portion for the streets [about 1/2 width of the street, the other owners contribute the other half of the street].

Take off a portion for the sidewalks, etc., if any, and possibly alleyways. Slice it all up into lots and there you have your little piece of home sweet home.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:

The place must have been huge. Is there a Sanborn map available? hint*
I only have the 1921 Baist (Sunset at the top, Vine on the right). Did Muller Bros have frontage on Vine?

historicmapworks

Last edited by tovangar2; May 26, 2015 at 10:38 PM. Reason: wrong map

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos