HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 12:24 AM

Canada's National Teams

This is a thread dedicated to all levels of Mens and Womens Team Canada Hockey, Basketball, Soccer, Baseball, Tennis, Rugby, and every other National team we have.

Last edited by Denscity; Sep 25, 2015 at 12:34 AM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 12:26 AM

Team Canada Mens Basketball is on the verge of qualifying for the Olympics!

Team Canada Mens Soccer scored a goal in two consecutive games!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 3:46 PM
arf

^Well, it was Belize, but making the next round of qualifying is a welcome result for the men's team.

On to Cuba, Panama and the USA in the next round of qualifying. At least we get to see the team play some meaningful games against a team I'd like us to handle most of the time (Cuba) and a team I'd like to see us even with (Panama) in the future.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 11:36 PM

Yes making it to the next round of qualifying in Mens Soccer is very welcomed! It was Belize but there's over 100 countries ranked higher than us so 4 goals in 2 matches felt great!

It looks like no NHL players will be in the Olympics at least the next one. Perhaps in Beijing? The World Cup will be exclusively played in Toronto next year.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^Well, it was Belize, but making the next round of qualifying is a welcome result for the men's team.

On to Cuba, Panama and the USA in the next round of qualifying. At least we get to see the team play some meaningful games against a team I'd like us to handle most of the time (Cuba) and a team I'd like to see us even with (Panama) in the future.

Canada is in a group with mexico, el salvador, and honduras in the next round of wcq.

It starts up in november.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 1:19 AM
BANNED

As long as nobody proclaims the Toronto Blue Jays as a "National Team", this thread should be interesting.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 2:23 AM

Pretty sure there already is a thread for the mens and womens soccer teams

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=217816

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
As long as nobody proclaims the Toronto Blue Jays as a "National Team", this thread should be interesting.
The Jay's aren't the "National Team", they're "Canada's Team".

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 3:17 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Canada is in a group with mexico, el salvador, and honduras in the next round of wcq.

It starts up in november.
I completely missed that. I was reading Canada's Schedule and read qualifying and immediately thought World Cup and not Olympics and didn't read canm23 as opposed to MNT. That page is awfully confusing if you've never been to it.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 10:25 PM

For the first time in over a decade the Canadian Mens Soccer team will play a home game at BC Place in Vancouver. Next year versus Honduras I believe.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 2:29 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
For the first time in over a decade the Canadian Mens Soccer team will play a home game at BC Place in Vancouver. Next year versus Honduras I believe.
Good grief. A decade? I know the team doesn't play that often, but there should be a friendly every year in the four or five largest cities in Canada. How do we expect interest and support for soccer to exist without any exposure.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Good grief. A decade? I know the team doesn't play that often, but there should be a friendly every year in the four or five largest cities in Canada. How do we expect interest and support for soccer to exist without any exposure.
Ya I know! Especially in Vancouver which is the nations hotbed of soccer and has been for decades. And we all saw the images from the womens World Cup.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 9:53 PM

Just checked the stats with the US Mens Soccer team and they have played in over 100 venues in the US! No doubt some of them on artificial turf. I realize real grass is preferred but obviously not mandatory. Ironically Vancouver and Victoria are the only places in the country where real grass grows year round.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 11:58 PM
ハルウララ

Canada plays Italy this Saturday in Leeds at the Rugby World Cup. Should be much closer than Canada's opening loss to Ireland.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 12:35 AM

^^^ Ya that Ireland score was embarrassing to say the least!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 12:56 AM

Don't really care about soccer, when these "men" stop acting like they just got shot every time they bump into each other I may watch, but the diving is absolutely BRUTAL!!

Looking forward to watching the Rugby World Cup, those guys are insane! Don't understand what is happening half the time, but rugby is an entertaining game for sure.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 12:57 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Don't really care about soccer, when these "men" stop acting like they just got shot every time they bump into each other I may watch, but the diving is absolutely BRUTAL!!
It's part of the game and how the players get the attention of the referee for fouls. It's a big field with only one referee. There's been more and more diving in hockey recently seeking the same end results..

RWC has been fun to watch so far. It's amazing to watch this level of Rugby and then flip the channel and watch the NFL. Absolutely blows it out of the water in terms of skill, stamina, and entertainment.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
It's part of the game and how the players get the attention of the referee for fouls. It's a big field with only one referee. There's been more and more diving in hockey recently seeking the same end results..

RWC has been fun to watch so far. It's amazing to watch this level of Rugby and then flip the channel and watch the NFL. Absolutely blows it out of the water in terms of skill, stamina, and entertainment.
They need to get rid of diving in soccer, I don't care why they do it, it completely ruins the sport for me. They are cracking down on it in hockey these days, no reason soccer can't as well.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 1:09 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
They need to get rid of diving in soccer, I don't care why they do it, it completely ruins the sport for me. They are cracking down on it in hockey these days, no reason soccer can't as well.
If you don't want to watch it you don't have to. It's the biggest sport in the world despite your dislike of diving.

Simulation is becoming more and more evident in hockey and they haven't been cracking down on it at all.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
If you don't want to watch it you don't have to. It's the biggest sport in the world despite your dislike of diving.

Simulation is becoming more and more evident in hockey and they haven't been cracking down on it at all.
I think soccer is the biggest sport simply because of how easy it is to play, all you need is a field and something resembling a ball. Hockey will never be able to compete because of the upfront costs and infrastructure requirements. And the NHL was definitely starting to crack down on diving last season, and I think the game improved because of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada