HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

1000M in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine View Post
This is crazy. Who the hell are all these people moving into these thousands of new units in all these new buildings? Seriously? I love new skyscrapers as much as the next guy but I get worried about the surplus on the market (not necessarily with the starchitect skyscrapers, but with the mediocre midrises).
Well $3000/mo for an apartment is 30% of a $120,000/yr salary. That's pretty typical income for your techy types whom, up until recently, Chicago has had almost none of. I have a feeling the job creation downtown particularly in tech is driving this. Also remember that there have been a grand total of two luxury condo towers this cycle, both of which are under construction and in the Gold Coast. Assuming we have the same demand for condos downtown that we did in the last boom, we need to build at least 3,000 condos a year for the next few years to even begin to absorb that demand. I have a feeling there are some market forces demanding condo units starting to pent up and they will be released through flashy new towers.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 12:56 AM

This is just surreal. I am so stunned about all these recent proposals. I'm so happy I could just puke.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 1:07 AM

Also, I'm not sure I quite understand the massing yet, but I'm looking forward to Jahn schooling BIG and 2 WTC on how to properly design a building that cantilevers outwards as it rises.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 1:20 AM
BANNED

love the height...but have to wonder - why no questions about the "why" that it is cantilevered like this? seems Wanda caught a heck of a lot more grief for an equally arbitrary design element that doesn't seem to reflect context...

i'm just sayin..bring it on nonetheless!!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 1:24 AM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
love the height...but have to wonder - why no questions about the "why" that it is cantilevered like this? seems Wanda caught a heck of a lot more grief for an equally arbitrary design element that doesn't seem to reflect context...

I'm holding all judgement until we see actual renderings.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
Wow. It appears as if the entire top of the tower is slightly rotated... AND cantilevered over the building to the south...
Yes. I can't wait to see the renderings! I'm trying to picture it in 3D.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 1:45 AM
THAT Guy

A few more that might help you better visualize the shape/cantilever

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 1:57 AM

Guys, I'd avoid hyperventilating about this until there's an actual proposal and plans and whatnot. Plans get out for buildings that don't come.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 2:05 AM

Quote:

Neighboring building is part of the project sub area, yet occupied and protected, limiting the footprint of the proposed building. However, as a residential building ascends, so does the price per square foot of the units, and the premium put on lake views, and/or unobstructed views. So it only makes sense to have the floor plates get larger as the building gets taller. Add some deflection so the SW corner units have 'lake views' and you have dramatically increased the estimated return of your building.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
I'm holding all judgement until we see actual renderings.
same, i normally hate cantilevered buildings... ie. WTC2 and the first nordstrom tower proposal.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 2:26 AM

Quote:

Wanda caught a lot of heck for poorly conceived rationale of many of the design elements. We haven't heard any rationale from Jahn yet. With 3 decades of solid work under his belt from the Chicago seven to his recent work that is by contrast quite formal I think we can expect this to be quite a bit more thought out than say Bjarke's 2WTC

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
If the Calatrava and multiple failed projects of the last decade taught us anything it's I'LL BELIEVE WHEN I SEE IT.

Just saying. I mean, 1,000 feet... in the South Loop? No way. I foresee drastic scaling back on this one after massive opposition.

Far less units, 600 feet, and more parking. Mark my words.

Possibly, but lets also realize that we're dealing with different alderman now.

This is no longer the 2nd Ward and Fioretti isn't around.

Because of gerrymandering, this is the 4th Ward, Will Burns. He's the same guy who got Vue53 through in Hyde Park against the NIMBYs there.

The South Loop now has 3 aldermanic representatives; Dowell, Burns, and Solis.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
If the Calatrava and multiple failed projects of the last decade taught us anything it's I'LL BELIEVE WHEN I SEE IT.

Just saying. I mean, 1,000 feet... in the South Loop? No way. I foresee drastic scaling back on this one after massive opposition.

Far less units, 600 feet, and more parking. Mark my words.
You speak much truth, and I very much agree that I'll believe it when I see it. The only thing I'd say to counter that is that not only are these proposals happening earlier in the cycle of this boom, the last boom was killed by the worst recession in recent history, caused by the subprime mortgage crisis. What's more, the Spire was an insanely ambitious proposal. A tower barely breaking 1000 ft is hardly on par with the Spire.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 3:08 AM

BVic is right, there being three aldermen in the area changes the dynamic. They're all south and southwest side guys who are elected by those neighborhoods and deal with their kind of issues and haven't built a career upon inserting themselves to multi-hundred million dollar construction projects. When I listed to Dowell at these meetings it does not sound like she gives a single shit about the emotional plights of rich prairie-landers the way Reilly has to pretend to for River Northers and the SOAR crowd.

Without that big ego factor from Reilly or Fioretti, maybe these kinds of projects will be able to squeak through without all of the bullshit. Or maybe things will get screwed up because they haven't dealt with things of this scale before.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 3:35 AM
Vote for me for Mayor!

What is happening? WOW

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
What is happening? WOW
Video Link

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
BVic is right, there being three aldermen in the area changes the dynamic. They're all south and southwest side guys who are elected by those neighborhoods and deal with their kind of issues and haven't built a career upon inserting themselves to multi-hundred million dollar construction projects. When I listed to Dowell at these meetings it does not sound like she gives a single shit about the emotional plights of rich prairie-landers the way Reilly has to pretend to for River Northers and the SOAR crowd.

Without that big ego factor from Reilly or Fioretti, maybe these kinds of projects will be able to squeak through without all of the bullshit. Or maybe things will get screwed up because they haven't dealt with things of this scale before.
She sure does care what people think, but you probably missed the way she handled it. You see, she asked the developers when the PD was last amended to allow this development. The developer said 2008, as in, this thing went through when it was part of the 2nd ward. The nimbys had their chance and it was on someone else's watch. If you want to complain about something, complain about something she can do something about.

Oh, and by the way, I noticed that Tina Feldstein of PDNA was at the meeting and said nothing against (or for) any of the developments.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 4:51 AM

Chicago's living proof you don't have to be on the East and/or West coast to get high-rise development!!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post

I'll defend SOAR for the most part on this one. They're not the same neighborhood group they were 10 years ago. They're fairly progressive development wise and advocate for the tall and thin.

Remember, they were very pro-Spire. They also have no problem with the height of the Stern proposal. They supported the Waldorf Astoria proposal that would have been 1,200' where the Lowe's currently is.

He definitely kisses the asses of River Northers though...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 11:58 AM
BANNED

Yeah SOAR seems ok, but anyway, holy fuckballs! what??? To reiterate the hysterics of the clip WHAT'S HAPPENING????

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction