HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:01 PM
Regina 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.S MTL View Post
Stupid thread! Trolls !! Just because your party wasn't elected don't have to start bashing Trudeau .... I agree with our military out of Syria ...period. It's enough war. Let the Americans handle it. They love war.
Irony.

The Canada I know is strong & free because of the sacrifices of the soldiers who fought in wars against tyrannical regimes that commit atrocities against humanity & threaten the very freedom that we enjoy today.

This isn't a stupid thread, it's no different that the Harper BS thread that's been here for years. We shall see what hope & change brings to Canada, you can bet Trudeau will be held to account.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Irony.

The Canada I know is strong & free because of the sacrifices of the soldiers who fought in wars against tyrannical regimes that commit atrocities against humanity & threaten the very freedom that we enjoy today.

This isn't a stupid thread, it's no different that the Harper BS thread that's been here for years. We shall see what hope & change brings to Canada, you can bet Trudeau will be held to account.
You need an urgent lesson on Canadian history.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:08 PM

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I voted for the Liberals.. But what exactly was the Stephen Harper BS Thread then? Is it different because it was a party you didn't support? We had a PM bashing thread then, why not now?

True, Democracy in action..We can discuss the pros and cons of any leader we choose..Isn't that the reason all of you voted? No reason for posters to be offended..

On another note let's discuss campaign platforms..
Any one know how to roll a real good fatty before attending a session of parliament, I mean, work..never mind..

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:11 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Wow, bitter?

The Harper thread came after what, 5, 6 years of them being in power? This is just a reactionary "if you guys can do it then so can I" bit of resentment coming before this guy has even been sworn in.
Meh, I think it's appropriate. It was inevitable.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:14 PM
among other things

There is nothing wrong with having a right-wing conservative (I'd argue neocon, but whatever) contributing to the Canada forum. It makes it less of an echo chamber.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:19 PM
among other things

On the day of the election, I realized that my Facebook was kind of a Pauline Kael "but I don't know anyone who voted for him" (her supposed surprised response to Nixon's victory)-type thing.

The Harper Conservatives got 99 seats, so a lot of Canadians thought that was the best platform. But my social media accounts -- lots of media and creative people in Montreal and Toronto -- didn't feature a single pro-Harper message. Most people were not exactly measured about their anti- views either (Godwin's law was in tatters)...

...there is something a bit weird about that. 99 seats. Nobody I knew.

This thread is fine.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:24 PM

4 years!

ahahaha. Remember that, Migs.

4 years!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:37 PM

There are somethings that Liberals do -- high interest rates, scary inflation and taking money from BC, AB and SK for "redistribution" or so-called "equalization" to ON, QC, and now, more so to Atlantic Canada. Bay Street will be very happy with Liberal financial and economic strategies -- their money, that which it loans will create, and will result in some great profits for banks. Silly arguments about FOREIGN policy are the least of the country's problems under a Bay Street controlled Liberal Government. This all leads to declining property values under JT's regime. New taxes, slippery intervention and infrastructure fiascoes to benefit the Eastern economy at the expense of the West will occur.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:37 PM
among other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
4 years!

ahahaha. Remember that, Migs.

4 years!

Why four, specifically?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:40 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I do. What would be the point of delaying when he's just fulfilling a campaign promise that was supported by the voters? It's not like Obama didn't know it was coming.
This gives Obama time to adapt (I'm assuming we'll pull out by year end). From everything so far, it seems that Trudeau is intent on keeping his promises, even if I might disagree with some.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:43 PM
Regina 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipv View Post
You need an urgent lesson on Canadian history.
You don't believe we have the freedoms we enjoy today because of the sacrifices of our veterans? Fascinating, kinda reminds me of this.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Why four, specifically?
Indeed, I would have said 12.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
This gives Obama time to adapt (I'm assuming we'll pull out by year end). From everything so far, it seems that Trudeau is intent on keeping his promises, even if I might disagree with some.
My issue isn't so much Trudeau keeping his promises as much as it is diving right into military direction with the world leader from the USA less than 24 hours after being officially elected into a leadership role for your country in question.

I will chalk it up to Trudeau likely being drunk off the wave of euphoria of getting elected, but these decisions and the context in which they are made are not appropriate for afternoon phone calls before you are fully informed of all the facts of the situation. This is about the military, not legalizing marijuana.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Since we had to endure a Stephen Harper BS thread for years I'm inclined to return the favour. Trudeau hasn't even been sworn in yet & he is already doing exactly what he chastised Harper for doing so many times before, rule from the top down.

I spoke with a member of our military tonight & asked him if Canada has ever abandoned our allies in the middle of a military operation before. He's said this is the first time to his knowledge, & that's it's incredible saddening that Canada threw in the towel in the fight against a faction that conducts the worst atrocities imaginable.

http://m.torontosun.com/2015/10/21/t...esnt-bode-well

It'll be interesting to see if Trudeau mentions Cpl Nathan Cirillo later today.
Yep, when PM Mackenzie-King decided that it would be volunteers only who would carry the fight to Japan after May 1945. The only Canadian unit in the Western Pacific at the time was HMCS UGANDA (Cruiser). A third of the ships company decided not to volunteer due to many reasons better described here.

http://www.navalandmilitarymuseum.or...uganda-episode

It was an ugly episode and displayed poor planning and execution on part of the government of the day.

And it has not been forgotten by our allies to the south.

http://cdrsalamander.blogspot.ca/201...ot-canada.html

http://blog.usni.org/2015/10/21/alli...wartime-pyrite

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:49 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
I will chalk it up to Trudeau likely being drunk off the wave of euphoria of getting elected, but these decisions and the context in which they are made are not appropriate for afternoon phone calls before you are fully informed of all the facts of the situation. This is about the military, not legalizing marijuana.
There was no question that he was going to keep this promise - why keep our closest ally in limbo about it?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:49 PM

Quote:
You don't believe we have the freedoms we enjoy today because of the sacrifices of our veterans?
Absolutely not. This American discourse you're trying to employ in this argument is ridiculous.

WWI/WWII cannot be compared to anything that happened since. These were global events that complemented each other because of some waning Empires' need for a continental dick measuring contest.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:56 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Come back to us on "dynasties" when Xavier Trudeau becomes Prime Minister.
kool has a point. Compared to the US, Canada still has a very accessible political sphere. It is possible for someone with few connections and no wealth to speak of to run a federal campaign, get elected and rise through the ranks. This is difficult in the US, and the uppermost echelons seem to be becoming the domain of a relatively small cluster of wealthy and connected people.

JT is a good guy and I voted for his party, but I would never for a minute accept that if the T in his last name stood for Tremblay, Tompkins or Tokarczuk that he would be prime minister right now. Not a chance. That in itself is an ominous sign for our democracy.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:58 PM

I understand

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 4:02 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Yep, when PM Mackenzie-King decided that it would be volunteers only who would carry the fight to Japan after May 1945. The only Canadian unit in the Western Pacific at the time was HMCS UGANDA (Cruiser). A third of the ships company decided not to volunteer due to many reasons better described here.

http://www.navalandmilitarymuseum.or...uganda-episode

It was an ugly episode and displayed poor planning and execution on part of the government of the day.

And it has not been forgotten by our allies to the south.

http://cdrsalamander.blogspot.ca/201...ot-canada.html

http://blog.usni.org/2015/10/21/alli...wartime-pyrite
Just like I haven't forgotten the casual 2 years that it took the US to enter both of the real wars of the past century.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada