HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 8:43 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Hahaha. No, I have only had lunch items.
Marcello's is terrible. Lukewarm, bland food that is the same thing every single day. Not to mention that 50% of their buffet is cheap starches (noodles, rice, potatoes) and the vegetables/meat they do have are all overcooked and bland.

I would rather eat food from M&M Meat Shops.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 8:57 PM

^ Count me in as not a fan of Marcello's. Their restaurant is a pleasant place to sit (well, the one on Portage is), but yeah, the food is basically hospital cafeteria calibre. Honestly, I find Subway more satisfying and less expensive. I don't understand how they attract so many people...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 9:28 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't understand how they attract so many people...
Especially when there are several great little lunch spots on Graham.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 9:38 PM

Soooo. Any updates on sales or anything related to SkyCity?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Soooo. Any updates on sales or anything related to SkyCity?
lol basically

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 10:29 PM
BANNED

I am curious how many units have been sold at this point. I hope this tower is constructed, and the spin-off developments are plenty.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I'm pretty sure SAAN was where Dollarama is now. SAAN > Red Apple > Dollarama
Dollarama <-- Red Apple <-- Shoppers

Hydro <-- Red Apple <-- Saan <-- Met

At least from memory, I might be out some though.

A for Marcello's, they do a spot of job of warming up food from the Sysco truck.

--
Quote:
I am not convinced. There are plenty of vacancies around the MTS Centre
I heard that when the return of the Jets was announced, a number of building owners near MTS Centre priced the "Jets affect" into any newly signed leases. This then absorbed basically any gain that a tenant stood to make from the NHL, and worse it was fixed into the lease cost so when the league went on strike people still needed to pay the Jets tax.

Add in that the SHED seems to heavily favour a limited group of people causing those wanting to compete to be at a disadvantage. It gets further compounded when one operating group controls leases or even more of the operations for at least six different restaurants/bars in the arena area. Sure you might be able to try and crack that market but chances are you will be further away and trying to break into a new market.

--

That said, it will be interesting to see what SkyCity is able to add to the downtown. Part of the original plan seemed to hint at the type of restaurant/pub type of place that would appeal to the MTS Centre hockey/event crowd. It is definitely a crowded space but that there are also well known brands that have yet to land in the city which could make in-roads in that market, Yard House comes to mind. Ye's would be another one that would break from the "beer and burgers" theme but with the Longboat affiliation seems more likely to land in one of their properties.

Last edited by CoryB; Nov 6, 2015 at 4:48 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 5:26 PM
BANNED

The more intimate, pub-style establishments the better IMO, as I prefer those. Yes, a couple of well-known, popular branded restaurants would appeal to many other people, so the addition of those types would be welcomed too. The Power & Light District is progressing beautifully, and the SHED could become similar:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@39.09722...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 6:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The more intimate, pub-style establishments the better IMO, as I prefer those. Yes, a couple of well-known, popular branded restaurants would appeal to many other people, so the addition of those types would be welcomed too. The Power & Light District is progressing beautifully, and the SHED could become similar:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@39.09722...7i13312!8i6656
I would say these kinds of posts specifically relating to restaurants belong in the restaurant thread and not here, no?

I guess this is an example of where that whole "moderation" thing would come into play.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 6:23 PM

True North has also assumed control of booking at the Garrick Centre... so they pretty much have the market cornered now on any size of show. This week something planned at MTS barely sold any tix (can't remember what) so day of they moved it to The Burt.

Also Yellow Dog is a great example of a "Jets Crowd" place thats small and local. More plz.

Sorry Pinus.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 8:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
I would say these kinds of posts specifically relating to restaurants belong in the restaurant thread and not here, no?

I guess this is an example of where that whole "moderation" thing would come into play.
I could have easily included retail outlets, etc. We are discussing developments. Thanks for the concern though.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post

It does have some direct relevance to SkyCity Centre since they purposed one or more units at ground level for restaurant space. It will be interesting to see if that plan holds through to construction, how successful they are at lining up restaurant tenants and the type of food they offer. I know in my own travels and I have been past a couple different Yard House locations and they always seem to be packed, regardless of where or when I look. The wide selection of beers on tap and pub style food would likely be a huge hit with the MTS Centre traffic and be able to hold its own on the office lunch hour crowd.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 10:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
It does have some direct relevance to SkyCity Centre since they purposed one or more units at ground level for restaurant space. It will be interesting to see if that plan holds through to construction, how successful they are at lining up restaurant tenants and the type of food they offer. I know in my own travels and I have been past a couple different Yard House locations and they always seem to be packed, regardless of where or when I look. The wide selection of beers on tap and pub style food would likely be a huge hit with the MTS Centre traffic and be able to hold its own on the office lunch hour crowd.
True, it does indeed.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 10:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I could have easily included retail outlets, etc. We are discussing developments. Thanks for the concern though.
Thanks for thanking me for my "concern"; I was only point it out since there is now a whole thread inquiring about new modeators joining the Mansask forum, and that "off topic conversations in threads" are an issue in the Winnipeg threads.

Anyways, I've said my peace.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:21 PM

Sales board posted on SkyCity Twitter.
https://twitter.com/SkyCityWinnipeg/...09910011166725

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:24 PM

By my count that's 141 circles, with another 3 in the bottom on the "T" row. T is Terrace level. So 144 total units with circles.

Not sure what the colours mean. There's 10 blue and 7 yellow. 1 green as well.

A lot of 1 bedroom and 1 bedroom + study/den.

Still a good number of sales. Could get a 20 storey tower built on that alone.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:38 PM
BANNED

I believe red indicates sold, yellow pending, blue...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:39 PM

Blue may be combo suites? Seems they come in pairs. Not sure.

Edit:

Yeah I think blue is combo suites. The suites noted are side by side for the two lower levels, 35 and 37.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:40 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
By my count that's 141 circles, with another 3 in the bottom on the "T" row. T is Terrace level. So 144 total units with circles.

Not sure what the colours mean. There's 10 blue and 7 yellow. 1 green as well.

A lot of 1 bedroom and 1 bedroom + study/den.

Still a good number of sales. Could get a 20 storey tower built on that alone.
What's the magic number to get this thing built then?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:43 PM

Well they're sitting somewhere around 35%-40% units sold. But they're mostly the smaller, cheaper units. Typically sales need to be some around 60%-70% I believe. All depends on the lending agreements I think. But I'm not an expert.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan