HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 12:17 AM

2016 CFL Season

Well, time to get this going again...

Lots of Questions going into the next season. I would argue one of the biggest in CFL history

-Argos at BMO, can they capture interest in Toronto long term?
-BC Lions under Wally, need a big season to stop the free fall and get fans back
-Chris Jones and the Riders
-Montreal, what happens with Jim Popp, the QB situation
-Calgary under Dickenson
-Edmonton under Maas (can they maintain top form), how many players will sign in Sask?
-Will Ottawa and Hamilton maintain their momentum, and will Winnipeg get any - the league needs their QBs to stay healthy
-Finally will Orridge step up and lead this league into the future like Cohon did and like he was hired to do. New Logo (personally not sold), new web site is good, but can it deliver the interaction, stats and Fantasy Football as advertised? Need to solve or at least move forward in areas of Officiating, Drug Testing and put this dumb coaching compensation issue behind them.

Anything else I am forgetting?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 12:34 AM

I don't have much confidence in Orridge, his level of football knowledge and previous experience in the game is very weak. A lot of the CFL's problems right now stem on the field with poor player talent levels on the field compared to previous era's in CFL history, poor game flow and too many penalties and plays being constantly called for review.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I don't have much confidence in Orridge, his level of football knowledge and previous experience in the game is very weak. A lot of the CFL's problems right now stem on the field with poor player talent levels on the field compared to previous era's in CFL history, poor game flow and too many penalties and plays being constantly called for review.
I agree Orridge needs to do something to assert himself. I also thinking losing Michael Copeland and Sara Moore to the Argos hurts more than people think for the league, but I think helps the Argos immensely.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 7:08 PM

My feeling is that the Red Blacks are unlikely to maintain their momentum from last year. I could see them in last place but also possibly in first place. It depends on injuries but Ottawa has or will likely loose a few important pieces of their team for 2016.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
Anything else I am forgetting?
Yes, new uniforms (yet again, lol). My personal wish list for this:

Montreal
PLEASE lose the angry chicken logo and the amateurish college script over the numbers. Would also love a cleaner look, something close to throwback but not exactly that.

Ottawa
More red to emphasize the team name and lose the all white storm trooper look for the road unis.

Hamilton
Nothing! (except maybe lose the black pants they sometimes wear and wear the classic gold ones)

Toronto
Good as is IMO!

Winnipeg
Go back to the classic blue! And for God's sake, quit making me almost barf every time I have to see those horrible gold road unis!

Sask
Would love to see them go to classic throwbacks full time but probably not gonna happen. They can also drop the dumb storm trooper all-white road look. This isn't the arena league.

Calgary
The best argument for going retro/throwback. They used to be referred to as the Red & White but now they look like they should be called the RedBlacks, more than the actual RedBlacks. Ridiculous. Plus, what's wrong with JUST red and white? Whatever they do - they better lose those ugly ass digital clock numbers!

Edmonton
Good home unis, the green road helmets and unis are terrible.

BC
I'm kind of torn on this one. On one hand I like the orange with the clean, white helmet but on the other hand, I really like what they had one game when they played in revamped Empire Stadium when BC Place was being refurbished. Black helmet with the paw logo looked amazing.

As for special event/third unis go, I'm cool with it as long as its not overdone which seems to be the case. Also - whoever came up with the bird shit on Winnipeg's helmets should be shot.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 1:19 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
My feeling is that the Red Blacks are unlikely to maintain their momentum from last year. I could see them in last place but also possibly in first place. It depends on injuries but Ottawa has or will likely loose a few important pieces of their team for 2016.
I think that losing Jason Maas as OC will have a big impact on Ottawa's fortunes next year.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 5:03 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
Yes, new uniforms (yet again, lol). My personal wish list for this:
You basically want a time machine.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
You basically want a time machine.
I wouldn't go that far but you must admit that some teams would benefit from it! (mostly Calgary, Mtl and Wpg)

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 7:31 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far but you must admit that some teams would benefit from it! (mostly Calgary, Mtl and Wpg)
Yeah, some teams had unis that evolved in a such way that they are now way too busy-looking. Calgary in particular has an abomination, and Winnipeg/Edmonton's road jerseys are also bad.

It's hardly surprising that the most critically acclaimed jerseys of the current batch were the ones that dialled it back the most to a simpler scheme, i.e. Toronto and Hamilton.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 12:44 AM

One of the things that I think is under-rated is the CFL league and team presence on social media ( all are on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Google+, Snapchat, vine and YouTube) and are attempting to lure a younger demographic and if you are on twitter, the team "meme wars" leading up to game day are very funny.

There is a framework is in place and if the teams that are hurting (BC and Toronto) can improve the game day experience as well, I think it will slowly draw a younger demographic.

I do hope the new Adidas jerseys are cool and people will want to buy them.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
One of the things that I think is under-rated is the CFL league and team presence on social media ( all are on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Google+, Snapchat, vine and YouTube) and are attempting to lure a younger demographic and if you are on twitter, the team "meme wars" leading up to game day are very funny.

There is a framework is in place and if the teams that are hurting (BC and Toronto) can improve the game day experience as well, I think it will slowly draw a younger demographic.

I do hope the new Adidas jerseys are cool and people will want to buy them.
The social media angle is the way to go to attract younger fans. Just make sure you're actually letting people know you're on Twitter, Facebook, etc.

The CFL should look at doing commercials in the offseason too to keep fans interest. It's pretty much silent CFL wise after the Grey Cup until a month before the season starts. Start ramping up by putting commercials on starting in January.

Fantasy CFL leagues...who the hell wants to win a Joseph Abboud suit? As nice as those suits are, trips, money and tickets to the Grey Cup will go a long way in getting fans interested in the CFL. Gambling drives the NFL, why can't it be a factor in the CFL. Make it WORTH players caring about their weekly lineups.

Orridge has a LONG way to go. Not impressed by him at all.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 3:20 PM
City Maker

Quote:
I actually like red and black for the Stamps, it looks more imposing and boss-like. While I absolutely despise the Riders, their all-white uniforms are modern and stylish. If we want to bring young blood back to the league...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Fantasy CFL leagues...who the hell wants to win a Joseph Abboud suit? As nice as those suits are, trips, money and tickets to the Grey Cup will go a long way in getting fans interested in the CFL. Gambling drives the NFL, why can't it be a factor in the CFL. Make it WORTH players caring about their weekly lineups.
Spot on. Just like with television shows, we can't just mimic what they do down south. We need to customise our plan to our needs/realities and then take it from there.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
I actually like red and black for the Stamps, it looks more imposing and boss-like. While I absolutely despise the Riders, their all-white uniforms are modern and stylish. If we want to bring young blood back to the league...
Can we at least agree that the Stamps digital clock numbers have to go? Those things are an eyesore. Even my son agrees with that one (he likes the Rider whites too BTW).

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Can we at least agree that the Stamps digital clock numbers have to go? Those things are an eyesore. Even my son agrees with that one (he likes the Rider whites too BTW).
From what I understand the all-whites will not be back this year.

I don't really like the single colour look, and it really got bad this year in the NFL with the Ketchup and Mustard game

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 5:13 PM

^ Hahaha...good grief. I'm sure hot dog vendors at the game must still be counting all the money they brought in from fans with sudden cravings.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
What CFL experience did Cohon have when working in America for the NBA ? Cohon was just as clueless when he started his post. it is different as Cohon was a much better communicator and speaker versus Orridge.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 5:54 PM

I expect Orridge to ramp up his presence this season... surely he must have been hearing the criticism in recent months about his very low profile.

Personally I can understand that may have wanted to grow into the job a bit and get a feel for things, but at this point it's time for him to step up.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 8:14 PM
City Maker

Quote:
I don't really recall them so I guess I'm pretty indifferent to them. However, VANRIDERFAN's picture is an example of a rather garish application of single-colour uniforms.
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 9:49 PM

These things...ugh

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
What CFL experience did Cohon have when working in America for the NBA ? Cohon was just as clueless when he started his post. it is different as Cohon was a much better communicator and speaker versus Orridge.
"Under his watch, CBC lost the rights to FIFA World Cup soccer which it was seeking to renew, and failed to win back the CFL rights it had lost following the broadcasting of its final Grey Cup in 2007.[4]

Orridge was also principally responsible for the management of the National Hockey League's relationship with CBC, a broadcasting contract that CBC lost in November 2013 under Orridge's watch after the 2013-14 NHL season.[5] CBC's hope had been that Orridge's long-time relationship with Gary Bettman would help CBC secure a renewal of the NHL broadcast rights due to the fact that Orridge and Bettman knew each other from their basketball management days in the early 1990's. CBC had held the rights to NHL broadcasts in Canada for 62 years prior to Orridge's handling of the file."
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Orridge

That's troubling.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada