HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I finished yesterday's Julius Shulman post with this 1937 image of S Flower Street from 7th. One business that I didn't name was the Parmelee-Dohrmann Co at 747 S Flower. I can't find any previous mentions on NLA, so here's a bit of history. More information can be found at thefamilyparmelee.com.

The website above says that brothers Zelotes Larkin Parmelee and Charles Albert Parmelee moved to California in the 1870s, first to Dixon, then to Los Angeles. It also says that their first store was at 210 N Main St, but the first appearance I found in the City Directories is at 110-112 N Main in 1886-7. This store, selling crockery, glass, stone, plated ware and lamps, is listed as Parmelee's Bazar. A year later, gas and oil fixtures have been added to the inventory, and the business name had changed slightly to Parmelee's Bazaar. It looks like the store had expanded to include 108-112 N Main Street. Notice that both of these businesses are only in the name of Zelotes Parmelee. By 1893, his brother, Charles, was added as the company moved to 232-234 S Spring Street.

LAPL

Here's a picture of the S Spring Street store. USC have it mislabeled as "The Parmelee Dohrmann Company at the corner of Fifth Street and Broadway in Downtown Los Angeles". Their date is also wrong, so I send them an email.

USC Digital Library

The first mention of Mr Dohrmann comes in the 1900-1901 CD. It looks like his arrival led to a change in the company's structure. F W Dohrmann is listed as president, Charles Parmelee as vice-president and manager, and another brother, Elbert Russell Parmelee, as company secretary. Zelotes Parmelee seems to have moved a block away to 334 S Spring Street to concentrate on selling gas and electric fixtures. I found the advert below in a 1901 newspaper at the Library of Congress.

Library of Congress (PDF file)

Both businesses changed premises again by 1906. The Z L Parmelee Co moved to S Broadway. This advert from the 1906 CD says they were at 749-751 S Broadway, but the alphabetical listing includes a note saying "after Oct 1st at 718-722 S B'way."

LAPL

The Parmelee-Dohrmann Co also moved to S Broadway. Their new store was at 436-444 S Broadway. The 1906 CD lists their president as A B C Dohrmann (San Francisco), which may explain why Mr Dohrmann doesn't show up in the CDs. Here's an article about Parmelee-Dohrmann's expansion from a 1909 edition of the Los Angeles Herald.

California Digital Newspaper Collection

And here's the store on S Broadway. USC describe it as "Building exterior--436 South Broadway, Parmelee-Dohrmann, Los Angeles, CA, 1927". The signage, which appears to have been added to the photograph, preempts my next image by advertising the company's move to S Flower Street. According to thefamilyparmelee.com, Elbert Parmelee died in 1920, and Zelotes Parmelee died in 1926.

USC Digital Library

Finally, here's a reverse view of the S Flower store seen in my first image. USC date this picture at 1928.

USC Digital Library

This detail view shows Ransohoffs at 729 S Flower and Myer Siegel & Co at 733 S Flower, both mentioned yesterday by Noircitydame. Abigail Stark's house is also visible with a parking lot either side. My 1937 image at the top of this post shows a four-story building housing the Kizer Business College in the plot next to the Kayser Shoe Company. The building obviously didn't last long as the extant parking garage seen in the 1966 Shulman photos appears to occupy the same space.

Detail of picture above

The 1934 CD lists "Bullock's Parmelee Dohrmann" at Broadway, Hill and 7th. It's the only mention I can find with the Bullock's name attached. The company is missing from the 1936 and 1938 CDs, but returns as the Parmelee Dohrmann Co at 510 W 7th Street in the 1939 and 1942 CDs. The last listing I found is at the same address in the 1956 CD. From thefamilyparmelee.com, "Dohrmann eventually bought the Parmelees out. The Dohrmann Commercial Co. was bought by the Broadway-Hale Corp., became part of Robinsons-May in 1996, and then rebranded as Macy's."

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 10:50 PM

By coincidence, I found this Parmelee postcard yesterday.

http://www.plummersearch.com/blog/wp...EEedited-1.jpg

This is the same address Hoss found in the 1906 directory. -note the empty lot next door.

Plummer & Associates on the postcard is a modern 'watermark'.
_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 11, 2016 at 12:15 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
I finished yesterday's Julius Shulman post with this 1937 image of S Flower Street from 7th. One business that I didn't name was the Parmelee-Dohrmann Co at 747 S Flower. I can't find any previous mentions on NLA, so here's a bit of history. More information can be found at thefamilyparmelee.com.

The website above says that brothers Zelotes Larkin Parmelee and Charles Albert Parmelee moved to California in the 1870s, first to Dixon, then to Los Angeles. It also says that their first store was at 210 N Main St, but the first appearance I found in the City Directories is at 110-112 N Main in 1886-7. This store, selling crockery, glass, stone, plated ware and lamps, is listed as Parmelee's Bazar. A year later, gas and oil fixtures have been added to the inventory, and the business name had changed slightly to Parmelee's Bazaar. It looks like the store had expanded to include 108-112 N Main Street. Notice that both of these businesses are only in the name of Zelotes Parmelee. By 1893, his brother, Charles, was added as the company moved to 232-234 S Spring Street.

The first mention of Mr Dohrmann comes in the 1900-1901 CD. It looks like his arrival led to a change in the company's structure. F W Dohrmann is listed as president, Charles Parmelee as vice-president and manager, and another brother, Elbert Russell Parmelee, as company secretary. Zelotes Parmelee seems to have moved a block away to 334 S Spring Street to concentrate on selling gas and electric fixtures. I found the advert below in a 1901 newspaper at the Library of Congress.

Both businesses changed premises again by 1906. The Z L Parmelee Co moved to S Broadway. This advert from the 1906 CD says they were at 749-751 S Broadway, but the alphabetical listing includes a note saying "after Oct 1st at 718-722 S B'way."

The Parmelee-Dohrmann Co also moved to S Broadway. Their new store was at 436-444 S Broadway. The 1906 CD lists their president as A B C Dohrmann (San Francisco), which may explain why Mr Dohrmann doesn't show up in the CDs. Here's an article about Parmelee-Dohrmann's expansion from a 1909 edition of the Los Angeles Herald.

[And here's the store on S Broadway. USC describe it as "Building exterior--436 South Broadway, Parmelee-Dohrmann, Los Angeles, CA, 1927". The signage, which appears to have been added to the photograph, preempts my next image by advertising the company's move to S Flower Street. According to thefamilyparmelee.com, Elbert Parmelee died in 1920, and Zelotes Parmelee died in 1926.

Finally, here's a reverse view of the S Flower store seen in my first image. USC date this picture at 1928.

USC Digital Library

This detail view shows Ransohoffs at 729 S Flower and Myer Siegel & Co at 733 S Flower, both mentioned yesterday by Noircitydame. Abigail Stark's house is also visible with a parking lot either side. My 1937 image at the top of this post shows a four-story building housing the Kizer Business College in the plot next to the Kayser Shoe Company. The building obviously didn't last long as the extant parking garage seen in the 1966 Shulman photos appears to occupy the same space.

The 1934 CD lists "Bullock's Parmelee Dohrmann" at Broadway, Hill and 7th. It's the only mention I can find with the Bullock's name attached. The company is missing from the 1936 and 1938 CDs, but returns as the Parmelee Dohrmann Co at 510 W 7th Street in the 1939 and 1942 CDs. The last listing I found is at the same address in the 1956 CD. From thefamilyparmelee.com, "Dohrmann eventually bought the Parmelees out. The Dohrmann Commercial Co. was bought by the Broadway-Hale Corp., became part of Robinsons-May in 1996, and then rebranded as Macy's."
I have in my files the Parmalee-Dohrmann opened at Flower St. on June 11, 1927 (Ashley & Evers, architects) and Bullocks bought out the retail side in February 1933. They converted the 6th floor of thier Broadway store to "Bullocks Parmalee-Dohrmann" until c. 1936 when P-D seems to have reentered the retail field.

2-6-33 LAT.

Dohrmann apparently kept 436-444 S. Broadway for the hotel/restaurant supply side of the business until they moved to a new plant at 8888 Venice Blvd. Aug 11, 1952.

postcard view of the 400 block of Broadway showing Parmalee-Dohrmann. my files

Another view of the Flower St. Parmalee-Dohrmann. The parking lot extends to the corner of 8th.
LAPL

Charles A. Parmalee retired in 1927, the same year the Flower St. store opened. He died at 93 in May 1960.

The little building with Kizer, 721 S. Flower: I have noted that it was built in 1930 (Harold Johnson, architect) with retail on the ground floor and lofts above. It was trimmed in silver & black and the first tenant was "tailor to the stars" Eddie Schmidt until 1937.

715-719 was the Wetherby-Kayser shoe store, who opened their outlet here 12-15-1925. This location was chosen specifically to "provide better facilities for women who drive their own cars" and featured a barber shop for women only.

Claire Windsor being "bobbed and shod" at Wetherby-Kayser Flower St. and Claire sporting a bob in 1925 (the earrings have a picture of Bert Lytel, her husband at the time)

6-27-26 lat (ad); photo by Keytone- Getty Images

There's a little 2-story jewelbox of a building squeezed in next to W-K, at 713. It opened Jan 4, 1931, housing tailor Charles Tartaglia & Bros. (founded 1907).

1-4-31 lat

It's dwarfed by Barker Brothers, who'd opened on the corner of 7th Jan. 26 1926.

Last edited by Noircitydame; Jan 11, 2016 at 1:32 AM. Reason: add pic of Claire

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
'mystery' location

I just came across this photograph on eBay.

"1946 Los Angeles Transit Railway CA #2501 Special Car."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5C212-RP-194...cAAOSwZd1VXSaN

Did that kid in the white shirt just fall down in the gutter?

-also note the guy in the dark hat and coat exiting the street car from the back.
______

I thought the buildings in the distance along the curve were associated with the railroad, or perhaps industrial buildings.
So I was surprised to see that one is a Grace Nazarene Church.

detail

Does anyone recognize this area?
__
Grace Nazarine Church was listed in the 1942 City Directory at 7006 S. Menlo Ave., which means that we're looking at the S-curve that brought the LARy/LATL F-line from Hoover St. to its junction with the U-Line at Florence and Vermont. The Googlemobile seems to show that the apartment building to the left of the church remains, now at 7022 S. Menlo. The church itself has relocated to 109th Place and Normandie Ave.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 3:36 AM

ER, I really tried to set up photos in Flickr, but an Internet access issue tripped me up. In the interest of getting info out there, here's what I've found re: your movie screenshots from yesterday:

1. Believe the Soil-Off building to be at 4860 San Fernando Rd., Glendale. I found some pics of the product's packaging on Ebay U.K. (go figure), and their address was given as Glendale and their founding year as 1932. This location would be in the right sequence in the film, and the smaller building across Vine St. looks right to me.

2. I'm a little less convinced, but the building in your #3 would be at 4916 San Fernando Rd.

3. The bus in #15 is Asbury Rapid Transit.

I'll see if I can get images up on Flickr tomorrow, meanwhile anyone who wants to check out the locations and get them up sooner should feel free to do so.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 6:28 AM

Los Angeles Railway Car 2501

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;7294544]'mystery' location

I just came across this photograph on eBay.

"1946 Los Angeles Transit Railway CA #2501 Special Car."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5C212-RP-194...cAAOSwZd1VXSaN

Did that kid in the white shirt just fall down in the gutter?

-also note the guy in the dark hat and coat exiting the street car from the back.

As seen in the photo, car 2501 carries a "Special Car" dash sign. It was most likely on an enthusiasts special trip. However, it was truly a special car, having been used as an experimental test bed for a number of Los Angeles Railway innovations. Today it survives after a fashion as a car body without trucks (wheels) at the Orange Empire Railway Museum in Perris, Califiorna, having been rescued from "the pile" at Terminal Island.

For additional information see:

http://www.pacificelectric.org/los-a...1-not-at-rest/

https://books.google.com/books?id=6-...202501&f=false

Cheers,
Jack
______

Last edited by Wig-Wag; Jan 11, 2016 at 6:56 AM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 4:43 PM

Interesting information Wig-Wag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post

1. Believe the Soil-Off building to be at 4860 San Fernando Rd., Glendale. I found some pics of the product's packaging on Ebay U.K. (go figure), and their address was given as Glendale and their founding year as 1932. This location would be in the right sequence in the film, and the smaller building across Vine St. looks right to me.

I'll see if I can get images up on Flickr tomorrow, meanwhile anyone who wants to check out the locations and get them up sooner should feel free to do so.
Good sleuthing HH! The Soil-Off building is much nicer than I expected.

gsv

1946 / Columbia Pictures

& here's the smaller building across the street.

gsv

Thanks for your help HenryHuntington!

& good luck with flickr. I hope it works for you today.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 11, 2016 at 6:43 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 6:50 PM

'mystery' apartment building

Somewhere in the vicinity of USC campus, ca. 1951.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/29-Vintage-S...UAAOSw9r1WBHKj

There are several additional slides from the 1951 graduation here:

-two show a small 'mystery' statue in exposition park.
as well as scenes taken at the coliseum. -also an entrance to a second apartment building.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 11, 2016 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

Determined to make their investment into a desirable suburb, the Witmers put in a cable car in 1885 which traveled over a deep cut in Bunker Hill at 2nd St., running from 2nd and Spring to 2nd and Belmont (as seen above). The powerhouse was at 2nd and Boylston. The route had the steepest cable car grade in North America, with a 27.7 degree slope between Hope and Bunker Hill Avenue:

water and power
While I was looking for the location of the picture below (there's no information with the image), I remembered tovangar2's post about The Witmer Family. As far as I can see, it was taken from almost the same place as the picture above. I would do a then-and-now, but I bet the view has hardly changed .

lacity.org (PDF file)

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 7:16 PM

I could only find a couple of mentions of the Larronde Block on NLA, and no good pictures. This undated image shows the New Times Building in the background.

lacity.org (PDF file)

The Larronde Block was a wedge-shaped building opposite the Hotel Nadeau on the corner of 1st and Spring. There was also a Larronde Building nearby on Spring Street. I've highlighted both on the 1910 Baist map below.

www.historicmapworks.com

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Let's welcome in the new year with a birth. This baby was the first one born at the Mid-City Hospital in 1956. The description says that the hospital was at 518 E Washington Boulevard, but the 1956 CD says it was at 519. I'm sure oldstuff can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Frank (the father's name) is short for Francisco, and the baby is Louis Angulo.

1st New Year's baby born at Mid City Hospital on East Washington Boulevard, 1 January 1956. Effie Mae Malray (nurse) (holding baby); Frank Angulo (father); Leticia Angulo (mother).; Caption slip reads: "Photographer: Wyman. Date: 1956-01-01. Reporter: Parks. Assignment: 1st L.A. Baby Mid City Hosp., 518 E. Washington. 42: L/R Nurse Ellie Mae Malray with baby boy; Frank Angulo (father) & Leticia Angulo (mother) as they record footprints, which is required by a new law. Baby was born 5 seconds past midnite [sic]".

USC Digital Library

Happy New Year to everyone on NLA, and (if I'm right about the baby) happy 60th birthday to Louis!
You are right about the name of the baby:Louis Torres Angulo was born on that date in Los Angeles, according to the birth index. His parents were Francisco Diaz Angulo and Leticia Rodriguez Torres. Online there is a picture of Louie at age 20 when he was attending East Los Angeles college. Unfortunately, he died in September of 1985.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
gsv

Is it just me or are the words "Ye Olde" and "Taco House" not meant to go together?
The words "Ye Olde" are somewhat jarring.....but they have excellent food, especially breakfast burritos

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

'mystery' apartment building

Somewhere in the vicinity of USC campus, ca. 1951.

The building is on Downey Way on the USC campus. It appears to be called Stonier Hall.

GSV

It's the H-shaped building on the left of this aerial view. The tower in the background of the eBay image can be seen in the top-right.

Bing Maps

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 7:57 PM

In all honesty I thought the building would be gone. So this is a pleasant surprise.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 11, 2016 at 9:03 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 8:09 PM

Quote:
It appears to be called Stonier Hall.

GSV

With your information Hoss, I was able to find this.

Exterior view of Aeneas Hall (now Stonier Hall) ca.1930s

http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics32/00065704.jpg

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 11, 2016 at 8:24 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 8:25 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Soil...-/121662694887

If this experiment worked, there'll be a regrettably small image of the Soil-Off one-quart can above. However, it can be enlarged when viewed on Ebay.

For anyone who might be interested in vintage packaging like this (or vintage products and/or companies), I found a few more details. The company name, "Soil-Off Manufacturing Co.", pretty much indicates that its namesake product likely was its only one. Ditto the slogan on the back of the can, "Perfected and Established 1932". So the inventor likely was the business owner.

The company filed a trademark application on August 7, 1947; it expired on November 3, 1992. Google Books turned up a mention in a display ad in the San Jose Evening News of September 4, 1944: 60 cents for the one-quart can pictured, $1.00 for the half-gallon glass jar. There's a photo on-line of the half-gallon jar with updated artwork (from the mid/late-1950s, I'd guess):

http://mrsguy.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-days-haul.html

So the company apparently lasted at least that long. A search of the CA Secretary of State's database didn't find a corporate match, but it might not have records from that far back. Ecolab, Inc. sells an industrial strength (literally) cleaner named Soil-Off II, but I don't know if there's a relationship to the original product.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 8:35 PM

The images at the Getty Research Institute were unavailable again yesterday, so here's a quick Julius Shulman post of an image I found when the site came back online a few hours ago. It's "Job 1023: United States Postal Service Office Building (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1951". There's no other information with the image, and I've drawn a blank in finding the location. The image contains a few clues - the street number is 5054, and the sign on the window says Station "G" Zone 37. The only post office I could find at that street number was 5054 York Boulevard, and it doesn't look right in GSV.

Getty Research Institute

-----------------

Thanks to Noircitydame for the additional information about the Parmelee-Dohrmann Company, and thanks to oldstuff for confirming the name of our New Year baby, Louis Angulo. Sad to hear that Louis died so young - I might not have posted the image if I'd known.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 9:38 PM

Quote:

I wondered if it was the same business until I found this undated picture of the block in question. That certainly looks like an "open-air colonnade studio" to me!

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library
And now, a year after the post above, we finally get to see inside that second-story colonnade!

-just found on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Post...cAAOSw4UtWQ-Vi

Postmarked 1933.
_

Colonnade, Cinderella Roof, Sixth at Olive

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 11, 2016 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
The images at the Getty Research Institute were unavailable again yesterday, so here's a quick Julius Shulman post of an image I found when the site came back online a few hours ago. It's "Job 1023: United States Postal Service Office Building (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1951". There's no other information with the image, and I've drawn a blank in finding the location. The image contains a few clues - the street number is 5054, and the sign on the window says Station "G" Zone 37. The only post office I could find at that street number was 5054 York Boulevard, and it doesn't look right in GSV.

Getty Research Institute

This PO was at 5054 S Vermont-- a building permit for it was issued March 27, 1951, and one for its demolition on October 14, 1992.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 12:39 AM

Quote:
There's very little information with this Julius Shulman photoset, although the images are good. It shows a restaurant/drive-in/coffee shop called Johnny's. It looks like the photos featured in a 2007/2008 LAPL exhibition called 'Julius Shulman's Los Angeles'. A PDF file relating to the exhibition simply lists it as "Johnny’s Restaurant, 1956, demolished". It's "Job 2201: Johnny's (Los Angeles, Calif.),1956".

This is the only color photo in the set. I've lightened it a little.

The black & white exterior shots were obviously taken earlier in the day, but all the lights are on.

The full-resolution version of this image shows the number 8445 over the door.

I think the store next door may be Mode O'Day.

The set also includes these two interior shots.

All from Getty Research Institute

So, does anyone know where it was?
I have been lurking on this forum for a couple of years. You guys are so good at identifying "mystery" locations that I never had anything to contribute.

Well, finally, I have a chance to help out. The coffee shop pictured here is located at 8445 W. 3rd St., just east of La Cienega. When I went to work at this corner in 1974 the subject property was Gottfried's Deli. I was in the place hundreds of times. The Shulman photos are apparently tagged "demolished" according to the original post, so Gottfried's Deli I guess was a completely different bldg. But I don't know, the interior of Gottfied's was laid out just like this place.

Poster HossC is precisely right, he guessed that the bldg to the left of the subject was a Mode O'Day location in 1956. In 1974 old timers in the neighborhood told me that was the case. When I worked there the bldg had been converted to office space, as the Mode O'Day usage was more of a warehouse, from what I was told.

In the 3rd photo down you can see in the distance, between Johnny's and the Mode O'Day bldg, some of the offices of Dart Square. Of course on the Beverly/La Cienega corner of Dart Square was the Rexall store (Rexall, Owl Drug etc were all part of the Justin Dart empire, he really established the model for the modern drug store). Dart was also instrumental in the political career of Ronald Reagan.

I worked on the ground floor of the old Mode O'Day bldg for the now defunct Transamerica Title Insurance Co. Yes, that Transamerica, founded by A.P. Giannini, as a holding company for B of A. The people in the S.F. pyramid.

The 2nd floor of the building, when I was there, was the offices of David L. Wolper Productions. In about 1976, we saw actors like LeVar Burton hanging around the Wolper office. We were told that Wolper had a project in the works, a TV mini series of an Alex Haley novel called "Roots". I think you all know the rest of that story.

At the far end of the Mode O'Day/Transamerica/Wolper bldg, right at the La Cienega corner, was United California Bank, which later became First Interstate Bank.

Across 3rd street from Gottfied's Deli was a Chuck's Steak House location. That was demolished for an office bldg in the early '80's. Across from the parking lot you see here was a variety of small retail bldgs, including the space for The Record Plant recording studio, one of the busiest studios at that time. It was the first "living room" type studio. The address was 8456 W. 3rd. Long since torn down and assembled with adjacent properties for a strip mall.

Look up the Wikipedia page for The Record Plant, every big name in the industry was there in the '70's. The Wiki page tells the story of one of the studio's owners, Gary Kellgren, who had a noirish death. He drowned at his home in '77, along with his secretary/girlfriend. There's also a photo of the front of the building during a 1978 fire.

The Gottfried's Deli bldg is still standing, it's still a restaurant. The Mode O'Day/Transamerica bldg is now retail, TJ Maxx etc is in there, part of the Beverly Connection development. As are the Dart Square bldgs, all of which were torn down for what I have always thought was a pretty awful mall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos