HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
BTW the most popular sport in Canada in terms of paid annual attendance is actually CHL junior hockey. Attendance is over 7 million a year. More than all of the Canadian NHL teams combined, more than the CFL, the Raptors, the Blue Jays. More than anyone.

But how much CHL coverage is there in the national media? A bit during the Memorial Cup and that's about it.

On the other hand we get TSN Sports Radio often doing like I heard them in the fall, giving us those critical early season NCAA basketball scores. UConn beat Boston College at the buzzer on Oct. 15. Woohoo!
They give the scores because people gamble on the games. I have a suggestion: Start a thread about CHL junior hockey. Or start a thread about how TSN doesn't represent homegrown sports.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I get CHCH out of Hamilton on my cable package.

They have or at least had this sports talk show.

The lineup of topics is very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aa1RB7wMjk

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrard View Post
They give the scores because people gamble on the games.
I'd like to know if there are 7 million individual bets placed on NCAA basketball in a given year in Canada.

Quote:
I have a suggestion: Start a thread about CHL junior hockey. Or start a thread about how TSN doesn't represent homegrown sports.
You kind of have a point but I've never been into Thread Nazism. The discussion goes where the discussion goes.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:21 PM

Quote:
What's telling about the article on the Ravens is the reporter asks if they should join the NCAA!
I recall someone talking about this once (maybe on PTS) and it is a very involved and next to impossible procedure.

I may be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me but IIRC this person said you have to have at least ten sports (both men's and women's) to be eligible for the NCAA. How Simon Fraser has done it for the longest time I don't know, but weren't they in the NCAA and then into the CIS or CIAU and back into NCAA again.

Again, I don't know if I have this correct.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:29 PM

Funny how when I watched basketball as a kid Laurentian and Lakehead were big teams. Then Lakehead when into the tank and were resurrected by Scott Morrison. Lakehead is not one of those universities that has a lot of exposure nationally (and I lived in Thunder Bay) so for them to have a good program shows the importance of good recruiting.

It would be really interesting if they could come up with a CIS Super League.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

For the record, local sports radio stations in Ottawa and Montreal (in English) are just as bad. They heavily cover what they consider the worthy local teams (Sens and Redblacks in Ottawa, but really only the Habs in Montreal), and the NHL in general, and then mainstream American stuff as the ''national'' sports diet.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Yeah that's exactly it. I thought this was a thread about basketball?
It is, and we're talking about Canadian basketball and not the Raptors which is probably pissing some people off who think basketball in Canada started with the Raptors, so be it.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:40 PM

Quote:
For the record, local sports radio stations in Ottawa and Montreal (in English) are just as bad. They heavily cover what they consider the worthy local teams (Sens and Redblacks in Ottawa, but really only the Habs in Montreal), and the NHL in general, and then mainstream American stuff as the ''national'' sports diet.
You know, I'd love to start an online program catering to Canadian sports, there is an audience that is thirsting for it. They want to know about colleges they are aware of and people they know and knew.

What really bothers me is by giving air time to American college sports (cheaper to pick up feed) that for the most part people don't care about (excepting once a year MM) that they are building an audience just by it being regularly exposed. It becomes the norm and because Canadian college sports aren't exposed then they become "bush league" because they are not aired thus being deemed not worthy of airing.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
It is, and we're talking about Canadian basketball and not the Raptors which is probably pissing some people off who think basketball in Canada started with the Raptors, so be it.
A snippet of the first post from the thread-starter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
The other sports have threads, so I'm starting one for basketball.

Fresh off beating the Thunder in OKC on a second night of a back to back, the Raptors are now 5-0. In the 12 years watching the Raptors, this is the best I've ever seen them play.
So, no... this thread is about "Basketball in Canada" which includes the Raptors because (big surprise) it's basketball being played in Canada. If the discussion of the Raptors pisses you off, so be it. Maybe you should just ignore those Raptors posts or this thread altogether? If you wan't, you can start a thread entitled "Canadian Basketball" or "Canadian Basketball Leagues and Players". The original poster set the discussion of this thread. Stop trying to take over every thread and shove your agenda down everyone's throat.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
So, no... this thread is about "Basketball in Canada" which includes the Raptors because (big surprise) it's basketball being played in Canada. If the discussion of the Raptors pisses you off, so be it. Maybe you should just ignore those Raptors posts or this thread altogether? If you wan't, you can start a thread entitled "Canadian Basketball" or "Canadian Basketball Leagues and Players".
It doesn't piss me off, the title is Basketball in Canada and that includes more than just the Raptors. I figured the American wannabes like yourself might appreciate a little educating on what is going on in this country that you likely ignored. The Raps are just another foreign league team to me (with players whom I cannot relate to) so I have no interest in them.

I guess I'll just keep posting on the many things that are non Raptor related regarding "Basketball in Canada". Sorry if it offends you.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Yes we all know how much the Raptors are in danger of becoming an afterthought, submerged by all the incessant and ubiquitous chatter on the Carleton Ravens and Halifax Windjammers.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:53 PM

Back on topic:

The Raptors won their 11th in a row! They've now tied the Jays for the longest streak streak in Toronto. They have a decent chance of breaking the record - they face the Denver Nuggets who are a 0.375 team... although the Raptors lost to them last month.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Yes we all know how much the Raptors are in danger of becoming an afterthought, submerged by all the incessant and ubiquitous chatter on the Carleton Ravens and Halifax Windjammers.
Some of their rating numbers aren't even good for the GTA let alone the ROC. But like the Jays if they get a good run people jump on the bandwagon.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:00 PM

Quote:
It doesn't piss me off, the title is Basketball in Canada and that includes more than just the Raptors. I figured the American wannabes like yourself might appreciate a little educating on what is going on in this country that you likely ignored. The Raps are just another foreign league team to me so I have no interest in them.
No one is stopping non-NBA/Raptors basketball from being discussed... just accept the fact that if people want to discuss the Raptors more.

And STFU with the "American wannabe" nonsense. You have a very narrow definition of it if watching a single American league over a Canadian one is how you define it. By your definition, anyone who watches an American film over a Canadian one is an "American wannabe".

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
No one is stopping non-NBA/Raptors basketball from being discussed... just accept the fact that if people want to discuss the Raptors more.

And STFU with the "American wannabe" nonsense. You have a very narrow definition of it if watching a single American league over a Canadian one is how you define it. By your definition, anyone who watches an American film over a Canadian one is an "American wannabe".
Well people seem to want to discuss the Canadian scene more than the Raptors so far in this thread. As for the wannabe thing you have a long history of denigrating things Canadian in this forum so by your definition instead of denigrating those things if you prefer American culture, perhaps you should then just STFU.

Draw results in for FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournaments to Rio 2016
Press Release 26/01/2016

Draw results in for FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournaments to Rio 2016
Officials Draws for the 2016 FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournaments for Men and Women

MIES, Switzerland (2016 FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournaments for Men and Women) - The Officials Draws for the 2016 FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournaments for Men and Women to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games took place at the House of Basketball, FIBA's Headquarters, on Tuesday evening.

Here are the results of the draws.

2016 FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournaments (OQTs)

OQT Belgrade (Serbia) - Group A: 1. Serbia; 2. Angola; 3. Puerto Rico | Group B: 1. Japan; 2. Czech Republic; 3. Latvia.

OQT Manila (Philippines) - Group A: 1. Turkey; 2. Senegal; 3. Canada | Group B: 1. France; 2. New Zealand; 3. Philippines.

OQT Turin (Italy) - Group A: 1. Greece; 2. Mexico; 3. Iran | Group B: 1. Tunisia; 2. Croatia; 3. Italy.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

BTW I actually like watching NFL and NCAA football. I just don't think the spotlight should be solely on them and squeeze everything else out in a country where they have no teams.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I also would say that most CIS basketball fans across Canada are Raptors fans as well.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:14 PM

Quote:
I just don't think the spotlight should be solely on them and squeeze everything else out in a country where they have no teams.
Agree

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:15 PM

Quote:
I also would say that most CIS basketball fans across Canada are Raptors fans as well.
Don't know about that re Raptor fans vs other NBA teams.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:23 PM

Quote:
As for the wannabe thing you have a long history of denigrating things Canadian in this forum so by your definition instead of denigrating those things if you prefer American culture, perhaps you should then just STFU.
Incorrect... I have no love for a particular league (it being Canadian has nothing to do with it). You're the one who is making it a Canada/America issue - I'm not. I don't judge it based on nationality - I judge it based on quality. The world is a better place when people stop discriminating. You continue bashing a whole country and many Jays and Raptors fans who you call "bandwagoners". You derailed this thread when you went ape-shit because I compared an artist being too old for a certain audience with the same artist being probably too young for another audience - and then you went all CRTC over it.

What's great about this country is our freedom. The freedom to choose what we want to watch, etc. Many great Canadians died protecting our country's freedoms. Why do you hate Canada and it's freedoms so much? Are you a communist? Are you a Chinese wannabe?
If not, then I strongly suggest you allow people to exercise those freedoms afforded to us by those Canadians who died for them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada