HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 9:41 PM

Some information on the lands North of Pacific...

www.waterfrontnorth.com

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 5:46 PM

Was out for a walk at lunch and noted that there is demolition work going on at the old Chamberlyn's restaurant and at the old 4-Play site. Really curious as to what we might see pop into the 4-Play site.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 6:08 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by factis View Post
Was out for a walk at lunch and noted that there is demolition work going on at the old Chamberlyn's restaurant and at the old 4-Play site. Really curious as to what we might see pop into the 4-Play site.
So there's demolition work at Graham and Fort as well as at Portage and Hargrave? I just walked by the latter and although I wasn't looking for anything, I didn't notice any demolition.

Incidentally, I also went by the Manitoba Museum and it looks like work is really chugging along at both the Sport for Life fieldhouse a block over, and the Alloway Hall expansion at the museum. Looks like the hall will be heightened somewhat, making it a bit more prominent from Main Street.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 6:19 PM

Lots going on downtown! 330 St. Mary appears to be getting fired up. Scaffolding being erected. There was a crane earlier unloading containers from a truck.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 6:24 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Some information on the lands North of Pacific...

www.waterfrontnorth.com
I like the vision, especially for the Canada Cartage area. I think the East Exchange is hindered somewhat by the fact that the northern edge kind of tapers off into a bit of an incoherent jumble of a neighbourhood... the type of development envisioned for Leon A. Brown's lands would likely have an appreciable spinoff effect on nearby areas.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 7:11 PM
Spiritual

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Lots going on downtown! 330 St. Mary appears to be getting fired up. Scaffolding being erected. There was a crane earlier unloading containers from a truck.
I question why they're touching this building. It's already all glass, and glass is "good", right?

Any photos sketches of what it'll look like? Someone mentioned that it'll be straightened out and won't be as "curvy".

And is this "re-cladding" going on in other downtowns in N. America, or is this just a Winnipeg thing?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So there's demolition work at Graham and Fort as well as at Portage and Hargrave? I just walked by the latter and although I wasn't looking for anything, I didn't notice any demolition.

Incidentally, I also went by the Manitoba Museum and it looks like work is really chugging along at both the Sport for Life fieldhouse a block over, and the Alloway Hall expansion at the museum. Looks like the hall will be heightened somewhat, making it a bit more prominent from Main Street.
Chamberlyn's in Winnipeg Square just has the windows that look out into the mall boarded up. Reno work maybe?

Also, does anyone know what's happening at 272 Main? All the back windows have been removed or boarded up and there's scaffolding with a fine blue mesh attached running up the entire back of the building. I thought they just renovated that building and replaced all the windows in the last 5 years or so...?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 7:21 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Chamberlyn's in Winnipeg Square just has the windows that look out into the mall boarded up. Reno work maybe?
More likely that they'd be making way for the tower that will soon be popping up on top of it.

I'm still dying to know what's happening with the Dayton Building (former 4 Play).

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 7:38 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
I question why they're touching this building. It's already all glass, and glass is "good", right?

Any photos sketches of what it'll look like? Someone mentioned that it'll be straightened out and won't be as "curvy".

And is this "re-cladding" going on in other downtowns in N. America, or is this just a Winnipeg thing?
It may still look good but the seals could be (obviously are) failing causing a loss in energy efficiency. This is happening all over N/A to 60s/70s/and 80s glass towers.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 8:06 PM

Quote:

Also, does anyone know what's happening at 272 Main? All the back windows have been removed or boarded up and there's scaffolding with a fine blue mesh attached running up the entire back of the building. I thought they just renovated that building and replaced all the windows in the last 5 years or so...?

Believe the owners are moving from their office proposal which fell through to a residential proposal...could be installing windows that open? Just a guess...could be too simple of an explanation though.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 8:19 PM

I thought shortly after 4Play closed they essentially gutted the space in preparation for construction of the supper club concept. That one stalled before anything really happened and made way for the brew pub which itself stalled and died out before anything happened. Hard to do more demo on a space that is gutted.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 9:03 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
272 Main is undergoing a full residential conversion complete with main floor commercial. It includes significant structural reinforcing top to bottom of the existing floors and roof (already complete).

They are also putting large garage doors at the back lane for a few indoor parking spots.

The windows are all still original or otherwise old. So I presume they would be getting replaced.

Main floor commercial will likely include a restaurant from a local chain (a brew pub had been kicking tires there last year but that didnt go forward).

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 9:36 PM
Spiritual

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I thought shortly after 4Play closed they essentially gutted the space in preparation for construction of the supper club concept. That one stalled before anything really happened and made way for the brew pub which itself stalled and died out before anything happened. Hard to do more demo on a space that is gutted.

Last edited by LilZebra; Jun 15, 2016 at 2:06 AM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post

Air leakage issues. Upgrading that BOMA grading in the process.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 11:25 PM

The Hilton Garden hotel, $35 million project in the Seasons of Tuxedo area has broken ground today.
I especially am waiting to hear that Sutton Place breaks ground soon plus some other downtown hotels.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 12:54 AM

Quote:

Chamberlyn's is closed for good. The consensus it seems around here is there's a good chance some sort of access to 300 Main will go around that area, or things may need to be shifted around.

And when 272 Main/Scott Block did the renos they poured too much concrete that it was deemed unsafe for occupancy. As mentioned above, going residential now — "microapartments" they said.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 12:58 AM

So back in the fall when the Academy streetscaping started we discussed how the decorative columns at the east entry (around Oak) were so big a wheelchair couldn't fit by... they already have been taken down. It's just weird that was even approved in the first place. But it's taking them a painstakingly long time to finish that work. Can't believe there still isn't even banners up on the posts... although SOME of them are now lit up.

Also, has anyone been able to see the Osborne Streetscaping plans? Lots of new red bike racks going up, but not much else other than new concrete. It's so dreary around there right now, I hope the new digs are vibrant and eye-catching, not just more black poles.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 2:04 AM
Spiritual

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy0019 View Post
Air leakage issues. Upgrading that BOMA grading in the process.
I hate to complain, but that's not good grammar. So much so that I cannot understand.

What is it you're trying to say again?

Maybe you meant to say "Upgrading the BOMA grading in the process."

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 2:13 AM
Aspiring.

The house in Norwood Flats is now on Kijiji.

http://http://www.kijiji.ca/v-house-for-sale/winnipeg/norwood-flats-1-134-sq-ft-handyman-special/1174021257

I guess it's time to put up or shut up.

Last edited by emeraldeyes; Jun 15, 2016 at 2:20 AM. Reason: Added additional thought.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 3:25 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
And when 272 Main/Scott Block did the renos they poured too much concrete that it was deemed unsafe for occupancy. As mentioned above, going residential now — "microapartments" they said.
Yes, there is a great deal of new steel installed below the floors in there now to accommodate all the extra concrete.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan