HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 6:37 AM

Great news about Apex II.

CIM tower finally seeing some action.
Onnis 50 story will be rising soon
Onnis semi twins on Flower seems like their ground breaking is imminent
The Franken Twins (hate them or love them) are rising

Not bad. Lets pray that Park Fifth (5-0H) gets shelved for a later date.

If we have any more surprises this year, we might have to give Hunter some blood pressure medications and a life alert to handle all of the stress
If anything in the northern section of downtown breaks ground (Grand ave Project, 4th/hill, etc. or even the Luxe) no telling what might happen to the guy I guess we'll push the "insider knowledge of a major economic downturn" from May 2016, yes it has passed already, to maybe May 2017 ? 18?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post

If we have any more surprises this year, we might have to give Hunter some blood pressure medications and a life alert to handle all of the stress
If anything in the northern section of downtown breaks ground (Grand ave Project, 4th/hill, etc. or even the Luxe) no telling what might happen to the guy I guess we'll push the "insider knowledge of a major economic downturn" from May 2016, yes it has passed already, to maybe May 2017 ? 18?
The impending downturn stopped being insider knowledge months ago. We had something like 20+ towers scheduled for this year, looks like we could get 4 or 5 of them going at best? 20% success rate seems like end cycle to me.

Don't worry about me, each one of these towers pays several months rent so I'm still happy.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
The impending downturn stopped being insider knowledge months ago. We had something like 20+ towers scheduled for this year, looks like we could get 4 or 5 of them going at best? 20% success rate seems like end cycle to me.

Don't worry about me, each one of these towers pays several months rent so I'm still happy.
What kind of logic is that? You are really adorable once in a while.

We are counting the projects that actually break ground. It would be awesome to get 4-5 tower every year.
5 out of 20 projects is the same like 5 out of 100 projects, it's 5 (a way more than you predicted).

On the other hand.. it might just prove the cluelessness (is that even a real word that you taught me?) of our construction companies. In that case -> Shame on all of them .

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 10:25 AM
BikeMike

Don't forget there was also the "Fig central is never going to build and they are going to fill in the excavation" at the start of the year.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 10:30 AM
BikeMike

By my list the only towers that had announced they were going to break ground this year and havn't is 1212 Flower, 1155 Olive, 5th and Olive, Lizard hotel, 4th and Broadway, and 4th and Hill. I'm not including the Barry Shy hotels because they are always just 18 months away.

$th and Broadway got sold right before it was supposed to break ground. 1212 Flower (onni) and 1155 Olive (Mac Urban) are both described as eminent. 4th and Hill who knows. I've heard from a random internet user that is not Hunter that Lizard hotel isn't happening. We shall see.

So at a minimum we should get 7 towers breaking ground this year. If it takes 2 years to complete a tower, that means we would average 14 cranes at any one time. That is an amazingly good number.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:

I enjoy your photos, thank you very much for posting them. There were almost 300,000 jobs created in the month of June. How is this an impending downturn?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 2:44 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

I for one am glad to see development RAMPING UP once again.

Others....hmmm....

(Hunter running around DTLA to the various construction sites being set up for the latest round of new towers)
"Uhmm...HELLO...EXCUSE ME!?!...(waves lil building manifesto)...Don't you guys understand the CYCLE IS OVER!?!....don't you dare keep building things...!"

(waits for the Hunter stans to drop in and lecture us about how we would have nothing...Nothing...NOTHING!?!...if we don't have him...')

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 3:41 PM

I don't get the ire towards Hunter. If he thinks a downturn is coming, let him. Why does it bother y'all so much? He has his opinions--and great photos--and you have yours. Live and let live.

Here's WG's close up view of crown construction, via their FB:

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
What kind of logic is that? You are really adorable once in a while.

We are counting the projects that actually break ground. It would be awesome to get 4-5 tower every year.
5 out of 20 projects is the same like 5 out of 100 projects, it's 5 (a way more than you predicted).

On the other hand.. it might just prove the cluelessness (is that even a real word that you taught me?) of our construction companies. In that case -> Shame on all of them .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident View Post
Don't forget there was also the "Fig central is never going to build and they are going to fill in the excavation" at the start of the year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident View Post
By my list the only towers that had announced they were going to break ground this year and havn't is 1212 Flower, 1155 Olive, 5th and Olive, Lizard hotel, 4th and Broadway, and 4th and Hill. I'm not including the Barry Shy hotels because they are always just 18 months away.

$th and Broadway got sold right before it was supposed to break ground. 1212 Flower (onni) and 1155 Olive (Mac Urban) are both described as eminent. 4th and Hill who knows. I've heard from a random internet user that is not Hunter that Lizard hotel isn't happening. We shall see.

So at a minimum we should get 7 towers breaking ground this year. If it takes 2 years to complete a tower, that means we would average 14 cranes at any one time. That is an amazingly good number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I enjoy your photos, thank you very much for posting them. There were almost 300,000 jobs created in the month of June. How is this an impending downturn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
I for one am glad to see development RAMPING UP once again.

Others....hmmm....

(Hunter running around DTLA to the various construction sites being set up for the latest round of new towers)
"Uhmm...HELLO...EXCUSE ME!?!...(waves lil building manifesto)...Don't you guys understand the CYCLE IS OVER!?!....don't you dare keep building things...!"

(waits for the Hunter stans to drop in and lecture us about how we would have nothing...Nothing...NOTHING!?!...if we don't have him...')
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonLA View Post
I don't get the ire towards Hunter. If he thinks a downturn is coming, let him. Why does it bother y'all so much? He has his opinions--and great photos--and you have yours. Live and let live.

Here's WG's close up view of crown construction, via their FB:

With reference to the last forumer, his statement follows very much my thoughts. I believe that Mr. Kerhart loves to tweek people just to get a reaction. Why? Because its fun for him, and I think that he craves the attention. As I said before, don't give him the reaction or attention he seeks. Very much like an actor without adulation or even an audience, they'll soon walk off the stage.

Last edited by Wilcal; Jul 9, 2016 at 4:34 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 4:37 PM
:o

Quote:

Posted in January:

Quote:
Yep, it was me. I've been saying the cycle is over since May. Only tower to break ground since then is Frankentower. 1 is an exception, not a trend. We'll see who ends up eating their words when I quote my 6+ month old posts.
Stick to photos.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun View Post
Not that I don't applaud new development, but when did Apex II turn into a carbon copy of Apex I? I seem to remember a design that looked totally different done by another architect. Who is now responsible, HansonLA? Other than the curvilinear retail base (which I love) of the new tower, I though the original looked bad, my sense is why repeat a bad design.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 4:45 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
Not that I don't applaud new development, but when did Apex II turn into a carbon copy of Apex I? I seem to remember a design that looked totally different done by another architect. Who is now responsible, HansonLA? I though the original looked bad, my sense is why repeat a bad design.
Huh?

Concerto 2 (Apex II) was supposed to look like this:

http://kitchenhip.net/wp-content/upl...concerto-2.jpg

Then it looked like this:

http://urbanize.la/sites/default/fil...?itok=oFHDOq6k

Now it looks like this:

http://www.theprestonpartnership.com...Apex-II-02.jpg

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 4:46 PM

And in even more groundbreaking news the entire Mack Urban lot on grand between 11th and 12th has been fenced off and green tarp is being installed on the fence. Looks like this one is happening soon as well. Maybe both phases.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
Posted in January:

Stick to photos.

Don't get too ahead of yourself non-contributor. Let's see what happens.

The facts:

19-23 towers were slated to break ground in 2016.

3 towers have broken ground in 2016 (Franken 1 + 2, Onni 50).

2 towers have openly cancelled (Stationers & JW).

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 4:55 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
And in even more groundbreaking news the entire Mack Urban lot on grand between 11th and 12th has been fenced off and green tarp is being installed on the fence. Looks like this one is happening soon as well. Maybe both phases.
But what about the cycle? The cycle. THE CYCLE!!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 4:59 PM

Is that a digital billboard on the lower half of Concerto 2 like originally planned or did they change it to a regular picture billboard?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 5:01 PM

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 5:04 PM

Quote:

The facts:

True. But JW was never scheduled to break ground in 2016 so the way you've worded it is slightly misleading. Also it seems to be the nature of projects to slip so if the projects scheduled to break ground in the first half of the year slip to the second half of the year and so on, that's just the way things work and not a cycle. Finally we all know that projects get cancelled. We'd like to see most get built but the reality is that many don't. If half get built I'm pretty happy. Some of those towers you're counting were never even serious proposals as I'm sure you know. Just concepts to get the property sold I would imagine (the car wash site for example).

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 5:05 PM

Mack Urban site this morning.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 5:09 PM
:o

Quote:

The facts:

Are you that obtuse? The vast majority of projects in DTLA never break ground on time and are usually delayed more than once. The fact is several more projects have broken ground and announced since your doom and gloom prediction from over a year ago. But keep up the good fight I guess. You'll eventually be right.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations