HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Are you referring to the additional fees slapped on our water bills (hey everyone, now you need to pay $15/mo per unit to have the garbage picked up, I'm sure you won't pass this cost on to your tenants!)? I think Skyguy is referring to the out of control tap fees. Nothing like being told you must upgrade your service and that it will be at least $14,000.

In case you are wondering that's nearly $1000 per foot of water line. But you know, costs like that are super easy to stomach, particularly in the ghetto where you paid $20,000 for an old 2 flat. Why would anyone tear an old greystone down when the city forces you to make an improvement that costs as much as the building is worth?

Yeah, I was referring to water bills.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 7:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
http://chicago.eater.com/2016/9/28/1...-north-rooftop

I know the project next to Green Door Tavern is under construction, but have we seen anything for these?
Well that sucks, they always hired hot bartenders.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post
Well that sucks, they always hired hot bartenders.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 10:40 PM

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 12:20 AM

Sears retail

I heard Blackstone is kicking out the retail tenants in the Sears Tower by January to redevelop. I presume the tenants under the lobby and also presume this could be the start of extending the building via a low-rise into the south plaza. Apologies if discussed previously and I missed.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 8:29 PM
TL;DR

New renderings for IMD Gateway. I always thought the site plan for this was a little strange. Now that I see the final version, it reminds me of Oakbrook Mall but even more wide-open and windswept. I sure hope there is a lot of unmet demand in this area, because customers aren't gonna flock here for the architectural charm...

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...ateway-project

On the plus side, it looks like they are restoring the street grid here to some extent, and bringing activity and residents to a corner that is total snoozeville at night (apart from the ambulances heading to Stroger...)

The renderings are interesting. The towers are total placeholders right now, one has the facade of the O'Hare Westin and the other has 353 N. Clark... so I'm guessing the first phase will be one-story retail only, and probably some streets/site work.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
New renderings for IMD Gateway. I always thought the site plan for this was a little strange. Now that I see the final version, it reminds me of Oakbrook Mall but even more wide-open and windswept. I sure hope there is a lot of unmet demand in this area, because customers aren't gonna flock here for the architectural charm...
No but during the day they will get almost everybody from the hospitals and surrounding buildings who dont want to eat cafeteria food.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...ateway-project

On the plus side, it looks like they are restoring the street grid here to some extent, and bringing activity and residents to a corner that is total snoozeville at night (apart from the ambulances heading to Stroger...)

The renderings are interesting. The towers are total placeholders right now, one has the facade of the O'Hare Westin and the other has 353 N. Clark... so I'm guessing the first phase will be one-story retail only, and probably some streets/site work.
There's a lot of demand. Students at Rush lost their apartments as Rush will be building an OP center on top of the old apartments.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 2:23 PM
tilted & shifted

A Year After New City Opened, Retailers Still Waiting For Shopping Surge
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...ed-development

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 3:53 PM

shocker

you build an ugly 90s esque insular, parking dominated, inward facing mall out of step with modern urban tastes, you get what you deserve

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 4:26 PM

^^^ Bingo, it's not like the Apple Store across the street is having any problems.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ Bingo, it's not like the Apple Store across the street is having any problems.
So true. New City just isn't an inviting design from the street... or from inside.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 6:14 PM

I think a biggest part of the problem is that the design is so inward focused.

I don't think that the aesthetics actually drive away traffic for the standard lay person. The people that I have taken to businesses there are actually impressed with the feel of it. But for someone who has not been reading about the project and doesn't know what's there, and say might first see it from getting off the red line. All there is to see from there is a Dick's Sporting Goods and a few empty storefronts. That combined with the number of streets required to cross to get over there, there probably isn't enough of a incentive to lure people in.

The developers probably would have been better off grouping the main building mass up on the north corner, maximizing transparency, and opportunities for branding, while also focusing on wider sidewalks for restaurant seating along Halsted and Clyborn. Then maybe it would look like something really interesting is going on over there.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 6:29 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Imagine the stellar views of the Wolf Point development in it's entirety from this riverwalk view

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 6:32 PM

I've gone to new city a few times and it just felt uncomfortable. Sterile. Or like if I stopped and lingered too long outside I'd be asked to leave or something. Yardhouse is great for the beer variety but with so many choices in the neighborhoods and a local crowd, you get a much better experience in elsewhere.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 7:06 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
shocker

you build an ugly 90s esque insular, parking dominated, inward facing mall out of step with modern urban tastes, you get what you deserve
not only that but even if you decide to drive there... the parking garage charges by the hour!

Add to that garbage restaurants like Adobe Gilas and the rest of the insanely overpriced schlock and its no wonder people aren't going back

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
Adobe Gilas
Omg, the business model was to build the MB Financial Park at Cabrini Green TM. No wonder it isn't working....

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 7:37 PM

The massive parking lot on State Street across from Jones College Prep has been fenced off and looks to be being prepared for development. It's owned by SAIC, so I'm guessing some kind of academic building.

Very exciting since this is the last parking lot on State from the Loop all the way down to Roosevelt.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 7:49 PM
The City

^ Cool! Any permit data?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 8:00 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
not only that but even if you decide to drive there... the parking garage charges by the hour!

Add to that garbage restaurants like Adobe Gilas and the rest of the insanely overpriced schlock and its no wonder people aren't going back
Yeah, this is my main problem. I like that Mariano's and a friend of mine works there, but I refuse to shop there because of the insane parking system. I went in for ten minutes to eat a sandwich one time, and spilled a coke on my parking ticket and ruined it. I had the receipt from the food purchase, but literally nobody in the parking garage or the Mariano's would let me out without paying the $60 maximum. I am happy to take my business elsewhere.

The other businesses in New City are not really compelling. I do like ArcLight Cinema but the Kerasotes at Roosevelt Collection is much more convenient to me...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development